Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think some of you are underestimating how much even mediocre starting QBs make. The top 20 QBs in the NFL all make 16+mm per year, and that's only because of the starters on rookie deals -- it would be way more if guys like Luck were making market value. Starters in the NFL at QB simply don't make under 10mm per year.

I don't think 18mm per year is realistic but it's still to say our absolute max should be 9 million. That's peanuts.

Fitz isn't a top 20 QB though. He's in the $5M replacement level tier, just because foles got grossly overpaid doesn't mean the jets need to do the same

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think some of you are underestimating how much even mediocre starting QBs make. The top 20 QBs in the NFL all make 16+mm per year, and that's only because of the starters on rookie deals -- it would be way more if guys like Luck were making market value. Starters in the NFL at QB simply don't make under 10mm per year.

I don't think 18mm per year is realistic but it's still to say our absolute max should be 9 million. That's peanuts.

It's what I think he's worth. Actually it's $1M more than I'd offer but wouldn't get hung up on $1M for 1 season. The goal is to upgrade from Fitz not settle on Fitz and pass up on $10M worth of other players for the privilege. 

He doesn't make us a contender and is only a bridge starter until someone better comes along. What he's seeking is far beyond that value. Keep in mind it's unlikely he's seeking that number on just a 1 year deal either. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Fitz is what he is.  Part of what you pay for with an Osweiler is that he will continue to grow, that he isnt a fully developed player.  

Fitz is a 32 going on 33 year old QB who just had his career year that you pray can duplicate going forward

I agree with this.  However 33 isn't old for a qb. You can't overpay for a career year and he has a longer track record which will keep his salary down.   We aren't getting him for 7-8m a year though.  If we wanted that we should have signed him in November. 

2 minutes ago, aec4 said:

I agree with this.  However 33 isn't old for a qb. You can't overpay for a career year and he has a longer track record which will keep his salary down.   We aren't getting him for 7-8m a year though.  If we wanted that we should have signed him in November. 

In all honesty, they should have. It's likely they offered at least that amount since the season ended so his value to the team didn't go up between November and now.

Then again, they may have approached him with those numbers back then and that didn't get it done.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In all honesty, they should have. It's likely they offered at least that amount since the season ended so his value to the team didn't go up between November and now.

Then again, they may have approached him with those numbers back then and that didn't get it done.

They may have.  You are right.  

With the other signings, the value of all average to above average qbs went up a lot 

29 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yup they are wasting their time complaining about things that won't change. You either take the market as it is and try to compete or Idzik a team together because out of some weird stubborn principle you want to try to redefine the market.

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

you're the idiot, because your reading comprehension is awful if you think I was badmouthing Fitz.

sorry but I was posting along with you I didn't mean to insinuate that you were an Idiot . I knew exactly what you wee saying and probably should have said as much.

4 minutes ago, aec4 said:

They may have.  You are right.  

With the other signings, the value of all average to above average qbs went up a lot 

Agreed. Going rate doesn't make them worth what they got, though. It just means that's what some other teams are willing to spend, and typically we'll find that most of them will have chosen poorly in paying these guys so much.

And other teams who won't win anything unless the $16M+ QB they took, who was largely paid for his potential to be even better, becomes such. Fitzpatrick doesn't fall into that category.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitz is a BUM in the and is my worst nightmare the Jets will resign this guy that 31 other NFL teams DO NOT WANT 

31 teams don't want him because his asking price is ludicrous, not because they don't want him anywhere near their precious rosters, even as a backup.

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Irsay has said Lucks new deal will be 9 figures (smart guy, negotiating with himself like that) I wonder when they will announce that whopper

I'm thinking 6 years 125 million 60 guaranteed

That'd be embarrasingly bad for Luck's reps and a coup for the Colts. I can see it because the NFL is basically an unstoppable behemoth with infinite resources and power over their players, but yeah...even then that deal seems to be on the lowest end.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Agree hes a decent  hard working NFL player 

You just said he's a BUM.

I don't care for him as an entrenched starter, but we could do - and have done - worse. 

What seems clear is Maccagnan wants him as a bridge QB who becomes Petty's (or someone else's) mentor within a year. Fitzpatrick wants some more time before he's relegated to veteran-backup-mentor, he thinks he can do better than that for himself, and power to him if he can. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't care for him as an entrenched starter, but we could do - and have done - worse. 

What seems clear is Maccagnan wants him as a bridge QB who becomes Petty's (or someone else's) mentor within a year. Fitzpatrick wants some more time before he's relegated to veteran-backup-mentor, he thinks he can do better than that for himself, and power to him if he can. 

I know i did I was wrong for saying that 

Aren't the Rams still looking for a QB along with Denver hopefully they pay Fitz the money he wants 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitz is a BUM in the and is my worst nightmare the Jets will resign this guy that 31 other NFL teams DO NOT WANT 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree hes a decent  hard working NFL player 

So now Jets fans of all people get to bash QB's who throw 31 TD's on a team that never threw 30 TD's before ? Do me a favor and STFU you are making no sense at all. Fitz played very well in a ball control offense that suits him very well too many teams are looking for that strong armed guy OR they are trying to force QB's into a style of play they are not suited for. Its a tough position to play, in every aspect but you have the vast knowledge to say our QB sucks when he just broke every record held by a QB for the last 50 years. Whats your argument ? OMG Fitz does not have a rocket arm ? Tell me what is it you want from a QB ?? Do you really think its so bad to have Fitz playing QB to end his career while we still search for that young guy ?

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

So now Jets fans of all people get to bash QB's who throw 31 TD's on a team that never threw 30 TD's before ? Do me a favor and STFU you are making no sense at all. Fitz played very well in a ball control offense that suits him very well too many teams are looking for that strong armed guy OR they are trying to force QB's into a style of play they are not suited for. Its a tough position to play, in every aspect but you have the vast knowledge to say our QB sucks when he just broke every record held by a QB for the last 50 years. Whats your argument ? OMG Fitz does not have a rocket arm ? Tell me what is it you want from a QB ?? Do you really think its so bad to have Fitz playing QB to end his career while we still search for that young guy ?

Look I root for any player that takes the field in a Jets uniform. I apologize for calling him a bum he is an educated family man who had 1 good year in the NFL. Sorry

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If the Jets do work out a deal with Fitz and get a viable TE and RB who can actually catch and stay healthy, we could be looking at improvements next year on what Fitz already put up this year. How Jets fans can not be excited about that is what's ludicrous here. A QB who can put up the numbers Fitz did in a ball control offense and defensive minded football team is pretty damn good. Fitz is in the right offense on the right team at the right time in his career. My concern is not Fitz next year its whether or not our once dominant defense become dominant again.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

If the Jets do work out a deal with Fitz and get a viable TE and RB who can actually catch and stay healthy, we could be looking at improvements next year on what Fitz already put up this year. How Jets fans can not be excited about that is what's ludicrous here. A QB who can put up the numbers Fitz did in a ball control offense and defensive minded football team is pretty damn good. Fitz is in the right offense on the right team at the right time in his career. My concern is not Fitz next year its whether or not our once dominant defense become dominant again.

The Jets signed Matt Forte today I would say he is a viable RB.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The Jets signed Matt Forte today I would say he is a viable RB.

wow no that's good news I just woke up so I was not sure what they did. Yes Matt Forte will be a very big help for a guy like Fitz who only had a real check down option when Powell got healthy for about 4 games and during that span the Jets offense looked very good. With Forte in the Mix we have to be careful not to wear the guy out so hopefuilly we keep Powell or draft another back to give him breaks during the season.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

wow no that's good news I just woke up so I was not sure what they did. Yes Matt Forte will be a very big help for a guy like Fitz who only had a real check down option when Powell got healthy for about 4 games and during that span the Jets offense looked very good. With Forte in the Mix we have to be careful not to wear the guy out so hopefuilly we keep Powell or draft another back to give him breaks during the season.

Good morning agree!

And if all this happens, with the dramatically more difficult level of opponents, we could also more likely be looking at Fitzpatrick regressing from his 2015 numbers. 

He's really not pretty damn good. The Jets saw him up close all season long, his OC saw him for yet another season up close, and they've decided to offer him a 'tweener contract below starter level but above backup level, which is just right for him. Maccagnan doesn't want him on the field for 1 minute longer than it takes to put a younger guy with some potential out there (without it being way too soon for said youngster). Signing him to a regular starter's contract negates that from happening and instead entrenches Fitz as the starter for the next two seasons (unless you naively think he's just seeking a 1 year deal).

Your concern should be Fitz next year. And the year after that. The Jets are, which is why they're not backing up the money truck to bring him back again.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And if all this happens, with the dramatically more difficult level of opponents, we could also more likely be looking at Fitzpatrick regressing from his 2015 numbers. 

He's really not pretty damn good. The Jets saw him up close all season long, his OC saw him for yet another season up close, and they've decided to offer him a 'tweener contract below starter level but above backup level, which is just right for him. Maccagnan doesn't want him on the field for 1 minute longer than it takes to put a younger guy with some potential out there (without it being way too soon for said youngster). Signing him to a regular starter's contract negates that from happening and instead entrenches Fitz as the starter for the next two seasons (unless you naively think he's just seeking a 1 year deal).

Your concern should be Fitz next year. And the year after that. The Jets are, which is why they're not backing up the money truck to bring him back again.

Sperm honestly stop with the Strength of Schedule crap ...Fitz faced some pretty good defenses last year and did ok because he does something we have not seen here in a decade ..he gets the ball out quick which nullifies a lot of the pass rushers he faces. Now with Forte in the mix he even has the option to check down quickly if his pre snap read is not there. He is the perfect QB for this system in the short term .

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sperm we don't have numbers as to what he's been offered let the deal play out I don't think its going to be as lopsided as some think ...and in the offense we run he did damn good

Sperm honestly stop with the Strength of Schedule crap ...Fitz faced some pretty good defenses last year and did ok because he does something we have not seen here in a decade ..he gets the ball out quick which nullifies a lot of the pass rushers he faces. Now with Forte in the mix he even has the option to check down quickly if his pre snap read is not there. He is the perfect QB for this system in the short term .

He really didn't. And he's really not a good passer and not "the perfect QB" for any system. He's a stopgap.

Sperm we don't have numbers as to what he's been offered let the deal play out I don't think its going to be as lopsided as some think ...and in the offense we run he did damn good

His numbers were good but he was meh. We have enough info on the numbers he's been offered in that it's been leaked that the team and Fitzpatrick are far apart.

Archived