Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

His numbers were good but he was meh. We have enough info on the numbers he's been offered in that it's been leaked that the team and Fitzpatrick are far apart.

we don't know why the team is leaking info thewy certainly have been better in that department maybe they have something up their sleeve and are just waiting to restructure guys that so desparately need to be

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

we don't know why the team is leaking info thewy certainly have been better in that department maybe they have something up their sleeve and are just waiting to restructure guys that so desparately need to be

There have been enough leaks as to how the team (Maccagnan) sees him. He wants Fitz to start for up to 1 more season - if that's even necessary - and then slide into the mentor role (which allegedly Fitz said he was comfortable with, at least before he saw the contracts other guys were getting). 

Unlike fans who just see completed 10 yard passes, the team in film reviews see the wide open TDs that should have been if Fitz had a good QB's awareness and field vision. I'm not saying he didn't make any good plays all year long; that's dumb since even horrible QBs make some plays here and there. But he's really not a good QB and the team has shown little interest in making him their starter for 1 game more than they need to, so they don't want to pay through the nose for someone they want holding a clipboard sooner rather than later.

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Sperm honestly stop with the Strength of Schedule crap ...Fitz faced some pretty good defenses last year and did ok because he does something we have not seen here in a decade ..he gets the ball out quick which nullifies a lot of the pass rushers he faces. Now with Forte in the mix he even has the option to check down quickly if his pre snap read is not there. He is the perfect QB for this system in the short term .

Actually fitz panics when pressured, watch the buffalo game again. It's not like the games against the cupcake teams where fitz was able to lob the ball in to Marshall and decker all day. It's a shame that you can't beat competitive teams that way, otherwise fitz might be worth his absurd contract demands

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There have been enough leaks as to how the team (Maccagnan) sees him. He wants Fitz to start for up to 1 more season - if that's even necessary - and then slide into the mentor role (which allegedly Fitz said he was comfortable with, at least before he saw the contracts other guys were getting). 

Unlike fans who just see completed 10 yard passes, the team in film reviews see the wide open TDs that should have been if Fitz was had a good QB's awareness. I'm not saying he didn't make any good plays all year long; that's dumb since even horrible QBs make some plays here and there. But he's really not a good QB and the team has shown little interest in making him their starter for 1 game more than they need to, so they don't want to pay through the nose for someone they want holding a clipboard sooner rather than later.

lbP4iQj.gif

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Actually fitz panics when pressured, watch the buffalo game again. It's not like the games against the cupcake teams where fitz was able to lob the ball in to Marshall and decker all day. It's a shame that you can't beat competitive teams that way, otherwise fitz might be worth his absurd contract demands

And notice that he "forgot" how to extend drives with his legs with the playoffs on the line at Buffalo? He was saving himself for the $18M/per wallet fluff.

Unlike fans who just see completed 10 yard passes, the team in film reviews see the wide open TDs that should have been if Fitz had a good QB's awareness and field vision. I'm not saying he didn't make any good plays all year long; that's dumb since even horrible QBs make some plays here and there. But he's really not a good QB and the team has shown little interest in making him their starter for 1 game more than they need to, so they don't want to pay through the nose for someone they want holding a clipboard sooner rather than later.

And yet his awareness is ten times that of GeeNope .... And a better QB by far. He is easily our best QB and to say anything else implies you have another agenda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

And yet his awareness is ten times that of GeeNope .... And a better QB by far. He is easily our best QB and to say anything else implies you have another agenda.

Even though they pretended to give up on Geno last year, I knew it was just the dormant phase of the disease. So when they all begged for mercy and accused me of "rubbing it in" I kept up the pressure. This is all about their ego and I knew they were merely retreating to the "we can't overpay for Fitzpatrick" line of defense.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Geno Smith won't start, shouldn't start, and he has nothing to do with this. If Geno was off the roster and it was just Petty I'd feel the same way. 

And he isn't our best QB. He isn't on the team.

50 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No I'm not I root for the team and the players on the team i just dont want to see the Jets overpay for a mediocre QB who has never sniffed the playoffs, 

Don't worry, we're not offering a contract extension to Geno Smith.

Just now, jgb said:

Even though they pretended to give up on Geno last year, I knew it was just the dormant phase of the disease. So when they all begged for mercy and accused me of "rubbing it in" I kept up the pressure. This is all about their ego and I knew they were merely retreating to the "we can't overpay for Fitzpatrick" line of defense.

Like a moth to a flame. :) 

Look, Mac will sign a vet to compete with Geno who will be the favorite to be the starter. But if Denver goes with Kap or someone else still possible that the Jets will pay Fitz. Could be that Fitz actually wants to stay in one place for two straight years.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Geno Smith won't start, shouldn't start, and he has nothing to do with this. If Geno was off the roster and it was just Petty I'd feel the same way. 

And he isn't our best QB. He isn't on the team.

What would you like the see the Jets do at QB? 300 words or less, please. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What would you like the see the Jets do at QB? 300 words or less, please. 

I don't care for your unreasonable constraints to my answer length, but I'll try:

Draft a QB. Bring back the other two and hope Geno is the worst of the 3 if that's the way it goes down until September. Otherwise keep an eye open in case someone shakes free after June 1 or becomes available via trade. But don't lock us into a veteran, unless Fitz suddenly decides to accept $8M per on a new deal.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're absolutely correct. The film shows how inept fitz is at making anything but the most basic of reads, missing wide open receivers and forcing bad passes into coverage. Here's a good article that breaks it down: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25504263/film-study-why-ryan-fitzpatrick-is-not-the-jets-quarterback-cure

Fitzpatrick is often touted as a smart player that doesn't make mistakes, mostly because he went to Harvard and Harvard is a school for smart people. But it's not true. Fitzpatrick makes lots of mistakes. Of the 53 quarterbacks to throw at least 1,000 passes since Fitzpatrick first played a game back in 2005, he has the eighth-highest interception percentage, per Pro-Football-Reference. He's more interception prone than Jay Cutler, Tarvaris Jackson, Josh Freeman, Christian Ponder and Joey Harrington. That does not sound like a smart, mistake-free QB to me.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25388651/ryan-fitzpatrick-thinks-ryan-fitzpatrick-is-the-right-man-for-the-jets-qb-job

22 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Elway just saw how good his defense is, and learned that he could win a Super Bowl with limited QB play.  He just needs a vet who can manage the game, limit mistakes, and make a play under pressure every now then, to keep his team in it.  

Manning's SB stats: 13/23 (56.5%) 141 yards, 0 TDs, 1 int      

Yeah, that's what we all thought, right up until the 4th quarter of the last Bills game. 

12 minutes ago, shevys said:

Yeah, that's what we all thought, right up until the 4th quarter of the last Bills game. 

some of us knew way before then what fitz was. I've hated his game ever since buffalo and minus brandon marshall saving the offense this year, he was more of the same.

Fitzpatrick is a journeyman who has had the likes of the Rams, Bengals, Bills, Titans, and Texans come to the realization that he's not the quarterback for them. Four of those five teams came to that conclusion within two years. Only the Bills stuck with Fitz longer than that.

Why have those teams all reached the same conclusion? Well, because Fitzpatrick's stretches of good play have never lasted all that long (note Bowles alluding to his inconsistent successes), and over larger samples, he's been a clearly below-average quarterback.

Fitzpatrick has thrown at least 200 passes and made at least eight starts in every season since 2008. In that time, his teams have gone 41-57-1 in his starts as he has completed 60.32 percent of his passes for 6.71 yards per attempt. Over that same span, he's been intercepted on 3.23 percent of his pass attempts and recorded a quarterback rating of 81.8. Every single one of those figures (winning percentage, completion percentage, yards per attempt, interception percentage, and QB rating) ranks dead last among the 14 quarterbacks that have thrown at least 3,000 passes since 2008, per Pro-Football-Reference.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25415882/ryan-fitzpatrick-and-the-jets-want-to-commit-to-each-other

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And unlike you, the team doesn't watch film looking to defend their position, and will also note the good things he does. In addition, the team watch a film on all other QBs and sees that all QBs make tons of bad plays, the good ones do enough to compensate for them. But when your strictly looking to defend your position, you only look for and point out the bad.

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

And unlike you, the team doesn't watch film looking to defend their position, and will also note the good things he does. In addition, the team watch a film on all other QBs and sees that all QBs make tons of bad plays, the good ones do enough to compensate for them. But when your strictly looking to defend your position, you only look for and point out the bad.

Right. Which is why they made him any offer at all. But if they were half as enamored with him as you like to think, then why haven't they made him an offer anywhere near the going rate for a starting QB with a multi-year commitment? Why isn't he signed for the bargain starter price of only $14M/yr with $30M guaranteed?

Because they see more than the good stats, and do realize he's just a stopgap who had a good statistical season at the right time. If someone else wants to believe this is even close to his new floor, they're welcome to sign him. The lack of a starter's contract says this is the Jets' thinking. 

Personally I'd like him back at under $10M because it's good enough to not force our hand in the draft and still be able to look at any unexpected future veteran options (should any even present themselves). I don't want our hand forced in the draft and I'd pay him $8M just to not force an unready Petty out there and/or push us into a panic decision with our 1st or 2nd round pick. 

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Right. Which is why they made him any offer at all. But if they were half as enamored with him as you like to think, then why haven't they made him an offer anywhere near the going rate for a starting QB with a multi-year commitment? Why isn't he signed for the bargain starter price of only $14M/yr with $30M guaranteed?

Because they see more than the good stats, and do realize he's just a stopgap who had a good statistical season at the right time. If someone else wants to believe this is even close to his new floor, they're welcome to sign him. The lack of a starter's contract says this is the Jets' thinking. 

Personally I'd like him back at under $10M because it's good enough to not force our hand in the draft and still be able to look at any unexpected future veteran options (should any even present themselves). I don't want our hand forced in the draft and I'd pay him $8M just to not force an unready Petty out there and/or push us into a panic decision with our 1st or 2nd round pick. 

Your not going to get any argument from me on any of this, I don't think of him as a long term, franchise type QB either, and I think the $8-$10m makes total sense, and I think the $15-$18 numbers are crazy.

That said, its not an easy spot for the Jets, they think enough of him to say they want him back, and he would be their starter, and other starters are getting insane money.

I don't really see any other team giving him the $15-$18 either, but you never know.

What makes me insane is when people scream he is nothing more than a backup, and he is a scrub, and he sucks, and he doesn't deserve more than $5 mil per year. All of which is a popular sentiment this offseason among Jet fans.

The bottom line is competent QB play is not easy to find, as we have seen for a long time. He is nothing great by any means, but he plays the position competently, which is more than we can say for the alternatives that we know about.

There is a huge gap between $5 and $18, and I am in agreement with you on what I think he is worth.

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With all the money being thrown about this year I can't him back here if the Jets are going to offer him under $10 million. I would love it too but I just don't see it.

I don't see what the other options are for the Jets ? Do you bring someone else in like a Sanchez or Matt Moore ? I can't see that. Do you throw Petty into the fire ? Geno ? 

With all the veteran talent the Jets brought in last year they want to make the playoffs NOW. I think they are close to being a playoff team but if they don't re-sign Fitz then that pretty much goes out the window.

The Jets are in a tough spot. I totally agree with no wanting to overpay Fitz but what all the alternatives at this point without totally blowing up the season ?

3 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Your not going to get any argument from me on any of this, I don't think of him as a long term, franchise type QB either, and I think the $8-$10m makes total sense, and I think the $15-$18 numbers are crazy.

That said, its not an easy spot for the Jets, they think enough of him to say they want him back, and he would be their starter, and other starters are getting insane money.

I don't really see any other team giving him the $15-$18 either, but you never know.

What makes me insane is when people scream he is nothing more than a backup, and he is a scrub, and he sucks, and he doesn't deserve more than $5 mil per year. All of which is a popular sentiment this offseason among Jet fans.

The bottom line is competent QB play is not easy to find, as we have seen for a long time. He is nothing great by any means, but he plays the position competently, which is more than we can say for the alternatives that we know about.

There is a huge gap between $5 and $18, and I am in agreement with you on what I think he is worth.

Did I say that? No. I think his leadership qualities alone make him more than just a 100% backup. A stopgap (how I see Fitz) is a better and more valuable QB (i.e. worth more $) than a pure backup. Particularly on a team in need of such a stopgap QB, who only has a 2nd year 4th round project and some upcoming draft picks (none in the top half of round 1) in a supposedly weak QB class. Plus it's a pretty good veteran team. I don't like the idea of just handing a good veteran team to a QB who's never taken a snap yet, or who couldn't supplant Geno Smith from the #2 spot on the depth chart.

It could also be a PR type move (PR for within the locker room). I'm just making this up now but: say they really do like Petty to start this year, but don't want the added team pressure on him of being the reason they dumped the popular Fitzpatrick. So they make an offer to Fitzpatrick that, despite the leaks of their desire to bring him back as starter, they hope/know he won't take after a 31-TD season. Fitz is only helping this cause by making nutty demands. I'm not saying it's likely. but even if totally untrue it does fit the team's actions. 

9 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Starting QB's get $15-18M a year no problem. The fact that the jets laughed fitz out of the room tells you they don't see him as a starting caliber talent

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sadly...  some team will pay him is my bet.  Its amazing how a QB like Osweiler, Flynn a few years ago,  etc.. can be paid superstar money on basically 10 games of play.

Fitz has a body of work many years in length and has never been to a playoff game. Started 5-0 with the Bills once.  Im with the JETS here.  Pay him, but not star money.  

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Apparently Schefter just said that no team is willing to give him his money and that he will be out there for awhile.

kinda shocked at this.  look at denver, for example.  they won a super bowl with a QB FAR less able-bodied then Fitz.  still have an elite D in place, 2 great WRs.

3 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

With all the money being thrown about this year I can't him back here if the Jets are going to offer him under $10 million. I would love it too but I just don't see it.

I don't see what the other options are for the Jets ? Do you bring someone else in like a Sanchez or Matt Moore ? I can't see that. Do you throw Petty into the fire ? Geno ? 

With all the veteran talent the Jets brought in last year they want to make the playoffs NOW. I think they are close to being a playoff team but if they don't re-sign Fitz then that pretty much goes out the window.

The Jets are in a tough spot. I totally agree with no wanting to overpay Fitz but what all the alternatives at this point without totally blowing up the season ?

You aren't allowing that the Jets:

1. ...don't see themselves as likely playoff team, let alone a realistic superbowl contender from game 1, even with Fitzpatrick returning. Barring a mass of timely injuries to a handful of our toughest opponents, this schedule is much harder than 2015's. Night and day harder. Even with Fitzpatrick there's a good chance they don't win 8 games.
  2. ...may see options you do not. They may like Petty, and that's why they felt their top FA priority was a better-rounded, veteran receiving back like Forte. Maybe they have a deal in the works for a trade, that hasn't happened yet for other reasons (I could outline some, but they're all just speculation).
  3. ...may feel that with all the veteran talent brought in last season they should have done better than they did against a creampuff schedule. That they didn't may make them see the reality, that on the field they're not as good as they thought they looked on paper. Or that for all the stability Fitzpatrick brought in a crisis situation with Geno, he's really too limited to hand him a must-start contract that probably has to include 2 years at that money.

Archived