Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, heymangold said:

kinda shocked at this.  look at denver, for example.  they won a super bowl with a QB FAR less able-bodied then Fitz.  still have an elite D in place, 2 great WRs.

I think if Denver has no other options, Fitz is worth more to Denver than the Jets.   They just won the Super Bowl.  That is a team Fitz can get to the playoffs.   Pre-draft, the Jets are looking worse... They will also draft a qb high, who will likely not play.   

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Sadly...  some team will pay him is my bet.  Its amazing how a QB like Osweiler, Flynn a few years ago,  etc.. can be paid superstar money on basically 10 games of play.

Fitz has a body of work many years in length and has never been to a playoff game. Started 5-0 with the Bills once.  Im with the JETS here.  Pay him, but not star money.  

Agree. I do want him back, but I want him back at a low enough amount that Bowles doesn't stick his fingers in his ears and cover his eyes and anoint Fitz the starter no matter what.

How is the team better if Petty makes a giant leap from rookie Petty to 2016 Petty, and they've locked themselves into a 2 year contract to Fitzpatrick at $18M/season? How the hell are they supposed to get better than they were in 2015, when they came up short against a gift of a schedule?

Giving Fitzpatrick a must-start contract is a recipe for treading water, not a recipe for improvement.

Just now, varjet said:

I think if Denver has no other options, Fitz is worth more to Denver than the Jets.   They just won the Super Bowl.  That is a team Fitz can get to the playoffs.   Pre-draft, the Jets are looking worse... They will also draft a qb high, who will likely not play.   

You think so? If their stance is we can win with a meh QB then it would stand to reason they'd go with a cheap meh QB not pay $18M/year for one without a youngster's or physically gifted QB's upside.

If they're just a QB away, and they're willing to pay big/starter money anyway to take advantage of the window they're still in, then offer up the #32 pick (or even a little more) to NO for Brees who has 1 season remaining at $19.75M. Better that than $18M to Fitzpatrick.

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Apparently Schefter just said that no team is willing to give him his money and that he will be out there for awhile.

Schefter thinks it's months before Fitzpatrick signs anywhere L M F A O

No NFL team is stupid enough to get fleeced by for fitz the ridiculous money he's demanding. The market is about to prove that he's nothing more than a backup option

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Did I say that? No. I think his leadership qualities alone make him more than just a 100% backup. A stopgap (how I see Fitz) is a better and more valuable QB (i.e. worth more $) than a pure backup. Particularly on a team in need of such a stopgap QB, who only has a 2nd year 4th round project and some upcoming draft picks (none in the top half of round 1) in a supposedly weak QB class. Plus it's a pretty good veteran team. I don't like the idea of just handing a good veteran team to a QB who's never taken a snap yet, or who couldn't supplant Geno Smith from the #2 spot on the depth chart.

It could also be a PR type move (PR for within the locker room). I'm just making this up now but: say they really do like Petty to start this year, but don't want the added team pressure on him of being the reason they dumped the popular Fitzpatrick. So they make an offer to Fitzpatrick that, despite the leaks of their desire to bring him back as starter, they hope/know he won't take after a 31-TD season. Fitz is only helping this cause by making nutty demands. I'm not saying it's likely. but even if totally untrue it does fit the team's actions. 

I was not saying you say that at all, I think you have been pretty consistent, I was really talking about the others. The only exception I have taken with you, it seems like you are very quick to post the negatives about him, and very hesitant to post the positives, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You think so? If their stance is we can win with a meh QB then it would stand to reason they'd go with a cheap meh QB not pay $18M/year for one without a youngster's or physically gifted QB's upside.

If they're just a QB away, and they're willing to pay big/starter money anyway to take advantage of the window they're still in, then offer up the #32 pick (or even a little more) to NO for Brees who has 1 season remaining at $19.75M. Better that than $18M to Fitzpatrick.

A functional meh qb for a team that can otherwise compete probably costs more than 15 in the open market.  I think Fitz is sticking to his principles.   

The Jets would rather invest in other things.  The Brees idea is great for Denver.

Don't you think there isn't run on QBs in the draft?

25 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Starting QB's get $15-18M a year no problem. The fact that the jets laughed fitz out of the room tells you they don't see him as a starting caliber talent

Once again, you continue to show your delusional. If the Jets are in the $8-$10mil range, they did not laugh him out of the room at all, and very much do see him as a starting QB, FOR THIS YEAR. You don't offer a guy you think is a scrub backup, a la your boy Geno, $10mil. Everyone knows the issues with Fitz, he is not very durable, he is older, and he does not have a history of a lot of success. But he showed with THIS team, he can play competent QB, which is why they want him to start, and why they don't want to pay him $15mil, which I agree with. But your just delusional, and so far out there I am wasting my time with this post.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree hes a decent  hard working NFL player 

oh.  I thought he was a "bum".

IMHO, reading your posts is really like reading a young child's rambling, incoherent overly impulsive, illogical and emotion-driven rants.

8 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Once again, you continue to show your delusional. If the Jets are in the $8-$10mil range, they did not laugh him out of the room at all, and very much do see him as a starting QB, FOR THIS YEAR. You don't offer a guy you think is a scrub backup, a la your boy Geno, $10mil. Everyone knows the issues with Fitz, he is not very durable, he is older, and he does not have a history of a lot of success. But he showed with THIS team, he can play competent QB, which is why they want him to start, and why they don't want to pay him $15mil, which I agree with. But your just delusional, and so far out there I am wasting my time with this post.

Sure, a competent backup, which is how the jets, the rest of the league, and everybody who knows better is viewing him as. Now I suggest you unwad your panties, sweetheart lol

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Sure, a competent backup, which is how the jets, the rest of the league, and everybody who knows better is viewing him as. Now I suggest you unwad your panties, sweetheart lol

LOL, cracking yourself up there huh? Hey, if you cant make yourself laugh, who can you make laugh, amiright?

You don't offer a backup $10 mil, "sweetheart", lol

Osweiler to Houston certainly makes the NFL QB Carousel more interesting.  And that contract value, wow.

Denver has a tough decision to make as a Super Bowl winner in Win-Now mode.  Risk with RGIII, trade for Kaepernick, or sign Fitzpatrick.

NFL network was saying this morning Fitz would be their clearcut best option as a win-now team, with the least risk.  

I would say the odds of Fitz coming back was just cut in half, minimum.  It may be a Geno Smith season again after all.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Osweiler to Houston certainly makes the NFL QB Carousel more interesting.  And that contract value, wow.

Denver has a tough decision to make as a Super Bowl winner in Win-Now mode.  Risk with RGIII, trade for Kaepernick, or sign Fitzpatrick.

NFL network was saying this morning Fitz would be their clearcut best option as a win-now team, with the least risk.  

I would say the odds of Fitz coming back was just cut in half, minimum.  It may be a Geno Smith season again after all.

This just cannot be. Our resident experts, GM's in waiting, who have just not yet been recognized yet by the NFL owners, have declared Fitz to be nothing more than a backup.

No news, is good news.

Listen, nobody here wants Fitz on a big contract. Not his most staunch supporters, nobody.

Them being "far apart" is music to my ears. 

If Elways finds a QB elsewhere, then Fitz should be ours. No other takers. My fear is that IF Fitz ends up in Denver, he's got a legit shot at winning a SB. (I should add that if we made it into the tournament, I fully believe we could have beaten any AFC team in the playoffs this year. So, he could have won one last year too, hypothetically, and would make us a low-level contender this year if he can replicate his play.)

31 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Great post but where did this not very durable thing come from? He's played 115 games and has zero soft tissue injuries and one broken leg in 11 years. He missed half a game this year with a broken thumb. He might not be Brett Favre but he's no Sam Bradford.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets clearly are not willing to mess up their cap for a qb who is unlikely to be as good next season, if only b/c they have a tougher schedule.

Or this is just an extremely common path that these negotiations can take. Time will tell.

Just now, jgb said:

Great post but where did this not very durable thing come from? He's played 115 games and has zero soft tissue injuries and a broken leg during the time. He missed half a game this year with a broken thumb. He might not be Brett Favre but he's no Sam Bradford.

Fair point, I think of it from his ending in Houston, and his reckless style of play. There were many hits he took this year that I thought he was done for the season, but your point is a good one.

28 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

They kind of did laugh him out of the room.

Chase Daniel and his career total of 464 yards received a 3yr-21 million dollar contract.

8-10 million per for a good to very good (on some days) QB is kind of insulting.  Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler received an average of 17.7 and 18 million respectively. 

15 million is fair.  I bet if the Broncocs offer Fitz the Osweiler deal, he would take it and it would allow them to groom a replacement.

47 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

If that's the case, then no one is offering anywhere near what he's asking for. 

agreed and I dont see him retiring.  A Harvard guy like Fitz, hell a Suffolk Community guy, is smart enough to know a 1 year deal at say $3 to 4 mill is pretty good to have for one final year. Most of us could live off that for a life time.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets clearly are not willing to mess up their cap for a qb who is unlikely to be as good next season, if only b/c they have a tougher schedule.

Teams don't look at their schedule, shudder at how "difficult" it is, and then make season-tanking decisions.

They are valuing Fitz as a backup QB.

2 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

On ESPN, Ed Werder just said the Jets are offering less to Fitz than what Chase Daniel got (3 years 21 million with incentives)

Interesting.

I just saw this:

I mentioned yesterday... Hoyer was the guy were were going after last off-season, we lost out to Houston, and THEN traded to get Fitz. I wonder if the Broncos end up with Fitz, does Hoyer come back into play for the Jets?

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Interesting.

I just saw this:

I mentioned yesterday... Hoyer was the guy were were going after last off-season, we lost out to Houston, and THEN traded to get Fitz. I wonder if the Broncos end up with Fitz, does Hoyer come back into play for the Jets?

i hope we do not trade for Hoyer.

Archived