Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

With salaries where they are, even 10 would be fair to Fitz.

Not 18.  If someone gives him 18, take the 3rd rounder next year and move on.

I wouldn't go apesh*t if they settled on 10, but personally I think it's too high when their offer says they really want to move on from him as starter.  The higher they go, the more of a message it says to the team - and to the HC - that Fitz is the starter. Also the ex-player Bowles does seem to favor his older veterans, and has already put his foot into his mouth by announcing that if Fitz is re-signed he's automatically the starter. So perhaps Mac has to counteract not seeing eye to eye with his HC on the position.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, jgb said:

But we must give Geno more chances until every single person finally agrees that we know for a certainty that he sucks.

Dead horse beaten to a pulp... but why not?  It's a new day.

Fitz would have sucked too with the 2013 n 2014 teams.

Dad horse beaten to a pulp... but why not?  It's a new day.

Fitz would have sucked too with the 2013 n 2014 teams.

Geno is proven suck. Fitz is hypothetical suck. I will take a guy who might've sucked versus one who proved it. Analysis complete. Fitz > Geno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Geno is proven suck. Fitz is hypothetical suck. I will take a guy who might've sucked versus one who proved it. Analysis complete. Fitz > Geno

Fitz has sucked with bad teams.

Geno has sucked with bad teams.

Fitz has been decent with good teams.

Geno with a good team = ?

Fitz has sucked with bad teams.

Geno has sucked with bad teams.

Fitz has been decent with good teams.

Geno with a good team = ?

I've said it before: Geno's problems aren't talent--they are leadership, intelligence and maturity. Homer Simpson doesn't become Stephen hawking because mr burns pays daryl strawberry to be a ringer for the Springfield softball team.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Exactly. This is what's holding this up.  Remember, Fitz came on here first to be our back up QB to Geno, who was anointed the starter simply because there were no other options.  The Jets were lucky to have a fall back guy having a sensational, unexpected season like that.  Offer Fitz a few years at 7-10 million. He can start the next year or two or back up Petty or Paxton depending on how they progress.  Fitz has never been seen as the savior and isn't seen as the long term answer.  Mac is still looking for his franchise QB.  That could be Paxton in 2016 draft or maybe Petty.  Regardless, its apparent he's not putting all his eggs in Fitzy's basket.      

+1

Great to see he's not panicking into a bad move because a trend was started where other teams - Philadelphia in particular - did just that. Because it's a trend for some other desperate teams, it doesn't mean we should play follow the loser leader. 

Also different for other reason on its face: these other teams have hopes Bradford, Osweiller, Cousins will become franchise QBs after another season or two. There is no such hope for Fitzpatrick so his compensation shouldn't get those brownie points.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

If only jamarcu Russel had Brandon Marshall and Erik decker.... Saaaaayyyyy what's he up to I'm sure he would be cheap!

I've said it before: Geno's problems aren't talent--they are leadership, intelligence and maturity. Homer Simpson doesn't become Stephen hawking because mr burns pays daryl strawberry to be a ringer for the Springfield softball team.

So the guy was a little immature after college.  Maturity/leadership will (and may have already) come with time and experience.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So the guy was a little immature after college.  Maturity/leadership will (and may have already) come with time and experience.

To be fair he was a lot immature. Throwing his weight around after getting handed the job because there was no one else is hard to get behind. I was supportive of him while he was starting, and would be again if he somehow turned the corner, but really he is a very hard guy to like or even root for.

He lost one of the most coveted jobs in sports over 600 bucks less than a year ago and his teammates gave zero f*cks

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To be fair he was a lot immature. Throwing his weight around after getting handed the job because there was no one else is hard to get behind. I was supportive of him while he was starting, and would be again if he somehow turned the corner, but really he is a very hard guy to like or even root for.

Agreed.  But I'm not gonna give up on guy because of some immaturity.  Many worse things have been done by players.  He still deserves a shot at starting in a decent situation.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

He lost one of the most coveted jobs in sports over 600 bucks less than a year ago

Well, sort of yes sort of no. That's how it ended, yes. What he did was risk the job by squabbling over $600 with a neanderthal. 

Doesn't speak favorably about him, but he lost the job because he got his jaw broken by said neanderthal not directly because of a $600 dispute.

Well, sort of yes sort of no. What he did was risk the job by squabbling over $600 with a neanderthal. 

Doesn't speak favorably about him, but he lost the job because he got his jaw broken by said neanderthal not directly because of a $600 dispute.

Dispute-jaw-bench

That's direct correlation

But the worst indictment is the lack of reaction by his team

Just now, jgb said:

Dispute-jaw-bench

No. That's an indirect cause and effect. Direct is choosing $600 over his starting job. Indirect is getting into a dispute over $600 and then having that dispute unexpectedly get your jaw broken.

Doesn't matter. If he just gave up a couple of bucks and acted the bigger man - acted the part of a team's leader - he would have had the job until/unless Bowles benched him.

Agreed.  But I'm not gonna give up on guy because of some immaturity.  Many worse things have been done by players.  He still deserves a shot at starting in a decent situation.

At some point you gotta cut bait. Geno has already started longer than any QB in history with as bad a start to his career. Only the jets putrid other choices and stubborn idzik saved him from a much earlier benching than he would've gotten just about anywhere else. Geno has already burned a second chance maybe even more than that.

No. That's an indirect cause and effect. Direct is choosing $600 over his starting job. Indirect is getting into a dispute over $600 and then having that dispute unexpectedly get your jaw broken.

Doesn't matter. If he just gave up a couple of bucks and acted the bigger man - acted the part of a team's leader - he would have had the job until/unless Bowles benched him.

Direct causation is a minority test, which addresses only the metaphysical concept of causation.[6] It does not matter how foreseeable the result as long as what the negligent party's physical action can be tied to what actually happened.

This is how lawyers define it an how i used the term. So let's just agree this is a moronic semantic argument and move on

Just now, jgb said:

Direct causation is a minority test, which addresses only the metaphysical concept of causation.[6] It does not matter how foreseeable the result as long as what the negligent party's physical action can be tied to what actually happened.

This is how lawyers define it an how i used the term. So let's just agree this is a moronic semantic argument and move on

Last word freak.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Dispute-jaw-bench

But the worst indictment is the lack of reaction by his team

Actually the worst part of that whole scenario was that we even knew about it.  I mean come on, how many fist fights do you think there are on all 32 teams over the course of a season?  100+?  Hell my HS team had like 20 a year itself.

That's a leadership issue.  As in coaching.  Tough to blame Bowles though since he was just starting.  

Story should've been "Overzealous LB pushed RB into Geno during closed practice session.  Geno out for few weeks."

Actually the worst part of that whole scenario was that we even knew about it.  I mean come on, how many fist fights do you think there are on all 32 teams over the course of a season?  100+?  Hell my HS team had like 20 a year itself.

That's a leadership issue.  As in coaching.  Tough to blame Bowles though since he was just starting.  

Story should've been "Overzealous LB pushed RB into Geno during closed practice session.  Geno out for few weeks."

If the jaw wasn't broke you're probably right. I'm glad it was, though.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

At some point you gotta cut bait. Geno has already started longer than any QB in history with as bad a start to his career. Only the jets putrid other choices and stubborn idzik saved him from a much earlier benching than he would've gotten just about anywhere else. Geno has already burned a second chance maybe even more than that.

Any rookie QB... Brees, Brady, Kaep, Tebow... would have sucked with our 13-14 squads.

I don't care who the QB is going to be in 2016 as long as it's NOT Geno!  As a few have already said, he's already used up all the chances he deserves and then some with this team.  There's no way they can sell the idea of a Geno led offense.  They just CAN'T!!!!  Can they?????

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I don't care who the QB is going to be in 2016 as long as it's NOT Geno!  As a few have already said, he's already used up all the chances he deserves and then some with this team.  There's no way they can sell the idea of a Geno led offense.  They just CAN'T!!!!  Can they?????

We were sold Tebow and some actually liked the move.  Geno could definitely be sold.

My guess is it'd go something like... Bring in some other vet.  Announce an open competition between vet/Geno/Petty.  

Geno wins!  Comeback story in the making.  The public loves a comeback.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The numbers I heard on Nfln on what the Jets have offered Fitz are 3 years for 21. That's not going to do it.

Depends on what the rams and broncos do.  If they don't go after Fitz the market for him disappears

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Contract negotiations with QB Ryan Fitzpatrick have stalled, so the Jets are exploring a possible trade for 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, a source confirmed. It was first reported by CSNBayArea.com, which said the Broncos and Browns also are involved. If nothing else, this will put pressure on Fitzpatrick. Right now, the Jets are low-balling him, offering approximately $7M per year.

>           http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The window is open to take Fitzpatrick from the Jets

The Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick are reportedly are “nowhere close to an agreement.” There’s now a clear opening for an agreement to never happen.Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Fitzpatrick is ripe to be plucked away by another team.Other suitors could be concerned that any interest expressed in Fitzpatrick would be used as leverage with the Jets. The reality, according to the source, is that interest expressed in Fitzpatrick could quickly lead to a deal.

The Jets and Fitzpatrick are so far apart that the pending offer is being regarded as “backup money.” And it could mean that the Jets are hoping to have Fitzpatrick as a bird in the hand as they continue to look for someone who could take over the job, sooner than later.In playing hardball with Fitzpatrick, the Jets apparently believe that he won’t leave. He’s now ready to do it. The only question is whether someone else will open the door for him.

The door could be in Denver, where the current starting quarterback is Trevor Siemian.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/the-window-is-open-to-take-fitzpatrick-from-the-jets/

16 hours ago, aec4 said:

I agree with this.  However 33 isn't old for a qb. You can't overpay for a career year and he has a longer track record which will keep his salary down.   We aren't getting him for 7-8m a year though.  If we wanted that we should have signed him in November. 

In November quite frankly no one wanted him.  We were losing games and he wasnt playing all that well.  It was his last 6 games that we want, not what he was in Nov.

If he wants drastically more than 8-10 mil I would be fine letting him walk.  This team has enough talent around the QB position and on defense that we could get similar production with a Hoyer IMO.  In fact Hoyer has similar numbers to Fitz, playing with a lot less than Fitz.  And just about everyone agrees that Hoyer is a backup.  

Archived