Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

Great to see he's not panicking into a bad move because a trend was started where other teams - Philadelphia in particular - did just that. Because it's a trend for some other desperate teams, it doesn't mean we should play follow the loser leader. 

Also different for other reason on its face: these other teams have hopes Bradford, Osweiller, Cousins will become franchise QBs after another season or two. There is no such hope for Fitzpatrick so his compensation shouldn't get those brownie points.

Totally agree.  Mac is doing a fine job in regard to Fitz. If it doesn't work out, I have faith he looks under other rocks besides going with Geno.  Philly seems to be insane investing 25 million next year in 2 average QB's and holding out hopes one of them becomes a 'franchise QB'.  So good to see Mac isn't going equally maniacal.  Fitz really should just take the money he was offered. He had some unusual success, has the opportunity to add to it, has been guaranteed the starting job this coming year and has a chance to really make an imprint on his career.  He has developed a rare chemistry with Decker and Marshall and with Mac in charge this team will get better.  Last year Fitz was an afterthought, an insurance policy, a mentor holding a clipboard, a cheerleader, a back up QB.  He emerged from that status through Mac's grace and faith in him.  Pay back the Piper, sign the contract with incentives based on getting in the playoffs and be thankful for having had the chance to resurrect your career.  

26 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Totally agree.  Mac is doing a fine job in regard to Fitz. If it doesn't work out, I have faith he looks under other rocks besides going with Geno.  Philly seems to be insane investing 25 million next year in 2 average QB's and holding out hopes one of them becomes a 'franchise QB'.  So good to see Mac isn't going equally maniacal.  Fitz really should just take the money he was offered. He had some unusual success, has the opportunity to add to it, has been guaranteed the starting job this coming year and has a chance to really make an imprint on his career.  He has developed a rare chemistry with Decker and Marshall and with Mac in charge this team will get better.  Last year Fitz was an afterthought, an insurance policy, a mentor holding a clipboard, a cheerleader, a back up QB.  He emerged from that status through Mac's grace and faith in him.  Pay back the Piper, sign the contract with incentives based on getting in the playoffs and be thankful for having had the chance to resurrect your career.  

Jets turned him into a commodity with some actual value. That's gratitude for you ;)

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Sure have a funny way of showin' it sometimes. 

I think Geno sucks and that Fitz is our best option. You can disagree with that, fine. But not hard to see why disliking Geno makes sense for a Jets fan who doesn't need another wasted year to realize he is atrocious.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let's make it a party and pick up & start Manziel instead. Cleveland's cutting him so he wouldn't cost a draft pick. He could provide the veteran guidance and leadership that Petty and a rookie need.

Haha nice one. Seriously though, we can argue over what Fitz may be worth... but calling him a bum (or worse) is ignoring the franchise's sad history at the position. Like I said a few times, we've been eating dog food for years, one taste of hamburger and now we are demanding filet mignon. I just don't want to go back to dog food anytime soon. Should we pay filet price for burgers? No we should not. But calling Fitzpatrick terrible or whatever is ridiculous.

It was reported today they offered 3/21. So it's safe to assume he was asking quite more than that. If they weren't far apart wouldn't he have been signed already ? 

That was reportedly the initial offer, before Osweiler et al. Haven't heard what or if on another, but they met several times.

BTW, your great hats got me through another winter in style, thanks!

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let's make it a party and pick up & start Manziel instead. Cleveland's cutting him so he wouldn't cost a draft pick. He could provide the veteran guidance and leadership that Petty and a rookie need.

Kind of crazy right? That's how preposterous the quarterback discussions have been on this board. There might not be a position in any sport in the world that gets leaned on this heavily (cue hockey bros yelling goalie) and there are actually people on the planet that are cool with just going all in on an entire season with a 4th round-2nd year dude that has shown absolutely nothing and a turnover prone dipsh*t that doesn't know how to set a watch, yells at fans, and gets chin-checked by his teammates.

And the craziest part about it is this. We're Jets fans. We've seen this movie. Again and again and again and again. It never works. Never ever. It's a conceding of the season before it even starts. 100%.

Has nothing to do with Fitz either. Draft someone. Sign someone. Whatever. But any human being that is legit cool with going into a season with this nonsense at quarterback and nothing else needs to give up watching football. It's over for you. Find a new show. This sport is over your head.

59 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think Geno sucks and that Fitz is our best option. You can disagree with that, fine. But not hard to see why disliking Geno makes sense for a Jets fan who doesn't need another wasted year to realize he is atrocious.

I wouldn't disagree with Fitz being our best option, despite your efforts to paint me otherwise.

Nor would I want a Geno as a starter by default either.

As a "Jets fan" as you've identified yourself - I personally would rather Fitz do well than regress as some speculate. I would also hope that if Geno played, he would show some drastic improvements. I would rather Revis have a bounce back year.. and Jace to come roaring back from his year off... Doesn't mean some of these guys aren't on my sh*t list, but i'm still hoping for the best. It's the personal diatribes you wage that get old and tedious. 

Ultimately, i think you're all wasting your time. The future lies in what i expect to be a draft pick this year - and all this is short term drama will seem very "whatever" when we get our guy. 

Just now, Paradis said:

I wouldn't disagree with Fitz being our best option, despite your efforts to paint me otherwise.

Nor would I want a Geno as a starter by default either.

As a "Jets fan" as you've identified yourself - I personally would rather Fitz do well than regress as some speculate. I would also hope that if Geno played, he would show some drastic improvements. I would rather Revis have a bounce back year.. and Jace to come roaring back from his year off... Doesn't mean some of these guys aren't on my sh*t list, but i'm still hoping for the best. It's the personal diatribes you wage that get old and tedious. 

Ultimately, i think you're all wasting your time. The future lies in what i expect to be a draft pick this year - this is short term drama that will seem all the more "whatever" when we get our guy. 

See we don't really disagree much, so no need for calling me out for not being a "real fan." As far as wasting our time, talking and watching sports is entertainment. Nothing tangible will be accomplished by any of it. But if you like it and enjoy it, then it's not a waste at all.

See we don't really disagree much, so no need for calling me out for not being a "real fan." As far as wasting our time, talking and watching sports is entertainment. Nothing tangible will be accomplished by any of it. But if you like it and enjoy it, then it's not a waste at all.

It's cool to have an opinion about the situation, but the veracity here is unnecessary. Who ever it is, is just a seat warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

It's cool to have an opinion about the situation, but the veracity here is unnecessary. Who ever it is, is just a seat warmer.

By definition, opinions are neither true nor false

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets fans get competent QB play for the first time in over a decade and for maybe the 5th time in franchise history and this is how he is treated. Eff him, greedy bum, how dare he negotiate hard, let him walk, screw him. It really surprises me that Peyton Manning stayed in school to avoid coming here.

dumbest fan base in the NFL by far.

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

dumbest fan base in the NFL by far.

Yeah forgive some of us for wanting to watch a competitive team while the 45 year search for Joe Willie Jr. continues. Why does he owe Jets anything when they didn't bother to extend him when they traded for him? He was here on a one-year insurance deal, we had to make a claim and the policy paid out, and now the premium goes up. That's the way life works.

Kind of crazy right? That's how preposterous the quarterback discussions have been on this board. There might not be a position in any sport in the world that gets leaned on this heavily (cue hockey bros yelling goalie) and there are actually people on the planet that are cool with just going all in on an entire season with a 4th round-2nd year dude that has shown absolutely nothing and a turnover prone dipsh*t that doesn't know how to set a watch, yells at fans, and gets chin-checked by his teammates.

And the craziest part about it is this. We're Jets fans. We've seen this movie. Again and again and again and again. It never works. Never ever. It's a conceding of the season before it even starts. 100%.

Has nothing to do with Fitz either. Draft someone. Sign someone. Whatever. But any human being that is legit cool with going into a season with this nonsense at quarterback and nothing else needs to give up watching football. It's over for you. Find a new show. This sport is over your head.

And here it is folks, the post of the year.

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

nope, give Petty 1-2 more years of learning.  Fitz will cost money, but the team will be better for it.  With the added receiving weapon of Matt Forte, plus getting Amaro back, I'm interested to see what this offense can do.  Would still like one more WR added though.

Just in time for him to hit FA after 1 yr. ala Osweiller.

I'd be OK with letting Petty/Geno battle it out if Fitz doesn't come back.

Sign a vet QB like Hoyer or Moore and let it play out.

Mac spent a 4th on Petty. He will give him every opportunity to be the starter.

In the OP scenario ... by about Week 4, the same people will be wanting Petty run out of town after a multiple INT game. Followed by Bowles (who thought the guy was ready - sheesh!) and Mac (the idiot who drafted the bum in the first place).

"I paid good money for this here pitchfork, I'm going to get my money's worth out of it!"

;-) 

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Last years QB: 60%, 3905 yds, 31 tds, 15 ints, 2 fumbles, 19 sacks.

Avg of the previous 5 year QBS: 56%, 2944 yds, 15.5 tds, 17.2 ints, 4 fumbles, 33 sacks.

Some people fully would rather go back to the good old days of the complete horror show of SanGeno becasue at some point in time by gosh they said Fitzparick is awful and they would darn well keep saying that until the end of time rather than saying they were dumb and wrong.

This is playing out just the way it should, the QB market is off the rails with guys with 6 game resumes on stacked teams getting 18 million a year, obviously any FA Qb is going to be looking for a large contract.  The Jets are not prepared to pay what is being asked.  There are two sure things in all of this, sooner or later Fitz will sign with someone and if the Jets are not that team the will be going back to a Freddie Krueger movie at QB this next year.

Fitz hates America. :)

Seriously, you hit the nail on the head. With one proviso -- we may see Petty step up, not Geno. I think I would rather see that than another debacle of Geno playing deer in the headlights and throwing horribly timed interceptions to our opponents or running backwards so that the sack will net 15 yards lost instead of 5 or actually throwing the ball away. Fitz would be a stabilizer for another year, but we may have to push the clock up.

Here's my last comment on Ryan Fitzpatrick  until he signs somewhere .  A great QB can make average or below average WRs look all world .  Great WRs can make average or below average WRs look all world . 

Which one is Ryan Fitzpatrick ? 

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If Fitz walks, they have to bring in a vet and let him, Geno and Petty fight it out, probably wait until after the draft to see if we can get a good QB at 20

I thought Flynn looked pretty good in that one offseason game he played with us minus that one horrific interception...I wouldn't mind if they offered him a vet minimum one year contract with no guarentees and let him duke it out with geno and petty for the spot. I bet he would come running for just about any  contract right now.

14 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Sanchez had a lot of talent in Philadelphia and sucked. In 2014 he took over a 6-1 team and finished out of the playoffs.

he was actually very good in 2014, hed led that o to almost a TD more per game than Foles but faced the MUCH tougher part of the sched where they faced Dallas twice, Seattle, GB, Carolina(all 4 made at least div rd).  they were scoring almost 30 PPG w/ him but giving up more.

14 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The fan base appreciates a QB that broke the single season passing TD record and came within a hair of the passing yardage record. You may not grasp football, it's a team game.  Sanchez didn't go to the AFC title game twice, the JETS did. I do give Sanchez credit but you are being unfair to Fitz. BTW, I agree with Mac, Fitz is not worth what he is currently asking.

those #s are great but meaningless when you throw 3 picks and lose to a dead team w/ a chance to get to the playoffs for the first time ever.  he also played in a QB friendly system that he knew and w/ more talent than mark ever had. 

Sanchez didn't take us to title games, he was a big part of helping us get there.  Fitz had a similar chance last year and couldn't even help us get to the playoffs.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Last years QB: 60%, 3905 yds, 31 tds, 15 ints, 2 fumbles, 19 sacks.

Avg of the previous 5 year QBS: 56%, 2944 yds, 15.5 tds, 17.2 ints, 4 fumbles, 33 sacks.

Some people fully would rather go back to the good old days of the complete horror show of SanGeno becasue at some point in time by gosh they said Fitzparick is awful and they would darn well keep saying that until the end of time rather than saying they were dumb and wrong.

This is playing out just the way it should, the QB market is off the rails with guys with 6 game resumes on stacked teams getting 18 million a year, obviously any FA Qb is going to be looking for a large contract.  The Jets are not prepared to pay what is being asked.  There are two sure things in all of this, sooner or later Fitz will sign with someone and if the Jets are not that team the will be going back to a Freddie Krueger movie at QB this next year.

#s were good in perfect system for him, a QB friendly system that he knew.  he also had most talent for a Jets QB since the 80s w/ a weak sched to feast on.  It's great he put up excellent #s but did those #s help this ultra talented team get to the playoffs?  That is all I care about and all we should all care about but instead as a fanbase we want a meaningless #s guy instead of one that can win.  I don't get it.

My favorite part is how Matt Simms (and his 39 career attempts) is "waiting for his shot" behind Matt Ryan, whom he's only 2.5 years younger then, and Sean Renfree, whom he's 2 years older than.

But, I guess that's what you get when you open a CobraVerde thread...

Archived