Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And the craziest part about it is this. We're Jets fans. We've seen this movie. Again and again and again and again. It never works. Never ever. It's a conceding of the season before it even starts. 100%.

Stockholm 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Fitzpatrick studied economics at Harvard. General manager Mike Maccagnan did the same at Trinity. They should be able to figure out a contract, right? Let's examine the Fitzpatrick-New York Jets impasse.

Clearly, the Jets have assigned a value to Fitzpatrick and, from all indications, it's in the range of $7 million to $8 million a year. Fitzpatrick is thought to be seeking twice that amount, which means he has to be pretty frustrated by the team's stance. He's shopping his services around he league, looking to create a market for himself. It's his right as a free agent.The Jets are taking a chance because they could lose their starter at any moment, but they've studied the quarterback market and they're convinced he won't get a better deal elsewhere. So far, they're right. If there were a more lucrative offer out there, this matter would've been resolved by now.

"The market will always speak to you, and apparently it is," said one AFC personnel director. "He's just not liking what he's hearing or seeing because of these other quarterback deals."Sam Bradford is getting $18 million a year from the Philadelphia Eagles. Brock Osweiler, who has won a grand total of five games in the league, is getting the same from the Houston Texans. How do you like them economics?

In the end, I think Fitzpatrick will end up back with the Jets, who I suspect will close the deal by offering a sweetener. If not, it would be a big mistake because the current offer is an insulting lowball.The Denver Broncos could hold the key to the Jets' quarterback situation. WithPeyton Manning's retirement and Osweiler's defection, the Super Bowl champs are looking for a starter. They're one of three teams interested in trading forColin Kaepernick, sources said. The others are the Jets and Cleveland Browns. The Jets' interest smacks of a smokescreen, a negotiating ploy to rattle Fitzpatrick.Right now, Denver is the quarterback hot spot, probably the only place where Fitzpatrick has a chance of landing. If the Broncos trade for Kaepernick, it destroys Fitzpatrick's leverage with the Jets. If the Broncos sign Fitzpatrick, the Jets are in big trouble because they'd be scrambling with Plan B.

They could turn to Kaepernick, but it's hardly an ideal situation. They'd have to compensate the San Francisco 49ers (figure a second- or third-round pick), pay a lot of money (his current contract calls for $14.3 million this year) and try to recalibrate the once-dynamic player. Statistically, he hasn't been much better than Geno Smith over the last two seasons.Or they could turn to Brian Hoyer, whom the Texans probably would trade for a late-round pick. The Jets showed interest in Hoyer last year before trading for Fitzpatrick, which turned out to be a really smart decision. Hoyer wasn't half-bad last season, but he imploded in the playoffs.

Or they could simply go with Smith and Bryce Petty, adding another arm along the way."Fitz needs to be careful," the personnel director said. "The Jets need a quarterback and they're not going to wait around for him to decide."Fitzpatrick could cost himself millions if he's still standing when the music stops. He's taking a risk, but so are the Jets. This is high-stakes poker, folks.

Remember a few weeks ago, when everybody thought Fitzpatrick's return was a slam dunk ? Things change quickly in free agency.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58950/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-engaged-in-high-stakes-poker-game

Cimini is wrong. If it's such an insulting lowball, and he was worth so much more than that, then why hasn't anyone swooped in to offer Fitzpatrick the bargain price of double the Jets' offer?

He has to come at our price or we have to move on. The economics of it is the team wants a better QB than he is and paying him too much will entrench him as the starter and guarantee him said starting salary for at least 2 seasons, which is the opposite of the team's goal.

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

those #s are great but meaningless when you throw 3 picks and lose to a dead team w/ a chance to get to the playoffs for the first time ever.  he also played in a QB friendly system that he knew and w/ more talent than mark ever had. 

Sanchez didn't take us to title games, he was a big part of helping us get there.  Fitz had a similar chance last year and couldn't even help us get to the playoffs.

Then hold Sanchez to the same criteria the reason the Eagles missed playoffs in 2014 was because of similar turnovers Sanchez made against the Redskins in the final game of the season in a "win and in" scenario. Also don't give me the tougher part of the schedule non sense he was handed a 6-1 team loaded with talent and didn't get it done.

Hello everybody, I am a Fitzpatrick fan and I have two days sober.

I think anybody who wants to guarantee Fitzpatrick more than 20 million over two years needs to watch the two Buffalo games. 

Apparently the Jets are low balling and offering less than Chase Daniels contract, 3 years, 21 million, 12 guaranteed.

My initial reaction was horror but I have to say I admire the stones of Maccagnan. 

I thought he gave too much to Revis but that may have been pressure from Woody.

He's doing the right thing now even if, as a Jet fan, it's miserable to watch.

Slightly off topic:

The free agent winners are usually for off season champions. It radically improved the Jets last year but it did not get us over the hump, our limitations were obvious. We had good quarterback play but without a top pass rush you need great quarterback play.

Looking at the Jets cap situation on Overthecap, we need more roster changes needed with our aging overpriced players.

Until we improve on our drafting, we are going to be stuck as a marginal playoff team.

So much for that chatter about the Jets possibly trading for 49ers quarterbackColin Kaepernick. Here is NFL Media's Michael Silver, responding to a question from a Jets fan on Twitter. Silver has been closely following the Kaepernick situation in San Francisco.

The question :

@MikeSilver I need an hour window to go for my run. Don't want to miss the Kaep stuff. Am I safe to go right now? Lol

And Silver's answer :

He's not going to the Jets https://twitter.com/T_John95/status/708000164091465729 

Silver later said on the NFL Network that the Broncos currently are the favorites to land Kaepernick in a trade. Which is what was initially reported, after the Broncos lost quarterback Brock Osweiler in free agency to Houston. 

Silver had said earlier Thursday that even the Browns were "far more serious" about trading for Kaepernick than the Jets. News of the Jets potentially trading for Kaepernick appeared to provide some leverage for them in their stalled negotiations with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

So who is the Jets' top fallback option in case Fitzpatrick signs elsewhere? Geno Smith? Brian Hoyer? Maybe still Kaepernick ? The Jets want Fitzpatrick back as their starting quarterback, but they're reportedly willing to pay him just $7 million per year (or thereabouts). 

Fitzpatrick understandably wants more money. Is anybody willing to pay him what he wants? That's what this all boils down to. 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/03/colin_kaepernick_not_going_to_the_jets_per_report.html#incart_river_index

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Then hold Sanchez to the same criteria the reason the Eagles missed playoffs in 2014 was because of similar turnovers Sanchez made against the Redskins in the final game of the season in a "win and in" scenario. Also don't give me the tougher part of the schedule non sense he was handed a 6-1 team loaded with talent and didn't get it done.

I do, mark didn't get the job done but he elevated that offense.  some things were beyond his control.  His D was atrocious and while our D wasn't always great it was much better than Philly's.  In the game the game that eliminated Philly in 2014 mark led O to 24 pts and K missed 2 chip shot FGs.  mark had ONE INT that day(not 3) and even had they won that game they would have missed the playoffs.  we win at Buf and we are in.

They were not 6-1 when mark took over.  they were 5-2 and in a tie game, he officially was 4-4 as starter but really 5-4 and again the sched was MUCH tougher and he elevated that offense against better teams.  during the 5-2 run they faced two playoff bound teams(Ind, Ari), in the 2nd half they faced Dallas twice, GB, Sea, Car.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Fantasy Football has taken over.

there's no doubt that has played a huge role.  Fans evaluate on just out of context #s, for me it's about how the #s were accumulated more than just the actual accumulations.  In  a perfect world we have a #s guy that wins but outside of Chad for a year or 2 or Vinny for a year we never seem to get both.

Just now, nyjunc said:

there's no doubt that has played a huge role.  Fans evaluate on just out of context #s, for me it's about how the #s were accumulated more than just the actual accumulations.  In  a perfect world we have a #s guy that wins but outside of Chad for a year or 2 or Vinny for a year we never seem to get both.

I have done that with Brian Hoyer here, but the fact that they won the division is an additional factor in his favor.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

#s were good in perfect system for him, a QB friendly system that he knew.  he also had most talent for a Jets QB since the 80s w/ a weak sched to feast on.  It's great he put up excellent #s but did those #s help this ultra talented team get to the playoffs?  That is all I care about and all we should all care about but instead as a fanbase we want a meaningless #s guy instead of one that can win.  I don't get it.

Well said.  I like Fitz as much as the next guy.  But we're not going anywhere with him...Do you don't pay him big $$$ and you roll the dice on someone else's potential if you can.

I would rather fail badly but try to win it all than fail nicely but give yourself no real chance of winning...

I do get the other side of this argument - but simply don't agree with it.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I have done that with Brian Hoyer here, but the fact that they won the division is an additional factor in his favor.

I like Hoyer, I know he was brutal in the playoff game but as a short term QB I am ok with him.  I do prefer Fitz back I just don't want to overpay.  I'd rather take another journeyman at a lower cost and get similar results than overpay for Fitz.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Well said.  I like Fitz as much as the next guy.  But we're not going anywhere with him...Do you don't pay him big $$$ and you roll the dice on someone else's potential if you can.

I would rather fail badly but try to win it all than fail nicely but give yourself no real chance of winning...

I do get the other side of this argument - but simply don't agree with it.

I like Fitz too but at the right price.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

It speaks to the fact that the Fitz complainers who would rather have geno smith or mark sanchez are coo coo coacoa puffs.

Please stop putting geno and mark together.  mark helped us reach 2 title games, Geno(and Fitz) have never helped us even reach the playoffs.

Things are starting to get interesting between free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrickand the New York Jets.

As the 2015-2016 season came to a close and the offseason began, it seemed as if it was inevitable that the Jets and the journeyman QB, who had an outstanding season, would eventually come to terms on a deal that would be beneficial for both sides.At age 33, after enduring some harsh peaks and valleys throughout his career, Fitzpatrick broke out this past season throwing a team record 31 touchdown passes along with 3,905 passing yards—both of which were career highs.

For the Jets—a team that has been in search of a stable situation at quarterback for years now—locking up Fitzpatrick became important as the veteran signal-caller put together one of the greatest seasons a Gang Green QB has ever had during the team's 10-6 season.

For Fitzpatrick—a player who's been on six different teams in 10 career seasons—returning to the Jets would appear to be a priority for him, based on having dynamic receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker to throw to and the offensive coordinator he's had the most success under calling plays in Chan Gailey.

While a reunion appears to make the most sense (and one could still very well occur) talks have apparently stalled between Fitzpatrick and the Jets, according to Rich Cimini of ESPN.Earlier on Thursday, Ed Werder of ESPN reported that the Jets had offered Fitzpatrick a contract less or comparable to what Chase Daniel received from the Eagles.From the perspective of Fitz and his camp, I understand their likely frustration. Daniel, who is 29-years-old and has thrown a total of 77 passes in his six-year career, got a three-year, $21M contract from Philly. Similarly, Sam Bradford, who has dealt with injuries throughout the course of his career and by all accounts had a worse year than Fitzpatrick last season, was given a two-year, $36M deal with $26M in guarantees.

You can even look at the Brock Osweiler situation. While yes, Osweiler is far younger than Fitzpatrick at age 25 and showed some promise last season, the young QB has started just seven games in his four-year career, throwing for 11 total touchdowns with six interceptions. And yet, the Houston Texans gave Osweiler a four-year, $72M contract on Wednesday as free agency began.

On the Jets side of things, they're in a bit of a bind.

The hope, you'd think, is that at some point the team will get Fitzpatrick to blink and come to terms on a reasonable contract. It is believed by some that the team's reportedinterest in trading for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is merely posturing in order to get Fitz and his camp to reduce their asking price.

This, however, could very well be a dangerous game that the Jets are playing.If Fitzpatrick does wind up getting a more suitable offer from say the Denver Broncos, Los Angeles Rams, Cleveland Browns or even the San Francisco 49ers (if they do trade Kaepernick), New York isn't left with a suitable option.

In his first three seasons, Geno Smith has struggled to show any semblance of consistency all while turning the football over at a high rate. Bryce Petty, who some believe could one day compete for the starter's job, still isn't viewed as ready to be the team's quarterback entering his second career season.Outside of the organization things aren't much better, as the top free agents at quarterback are guys like Brian Hoyer, Matt Cassel and Robert Griffin III.

It's possible that the team could look to address the position in the upcoming NFL Draft, but with the 20th overall pick, there's no telling what caliber of quarterback will be available once they select.If Fitzpatrick's demands do not decrease to a point that the team is comfortable with, New York is going to be put in an interesting spot.

If the Jets are the ones to blink, they'll have a chance to make another run at the postseason over the next couple of years with the veteran core they've established. However, signing a 33-year-old QB who's coming off of a career season also has it's major risks. Even if Fitz can somehow resemble the player he was last season, a contract that he seems to be looking for at this time is one that could very well hamper this franchise down the line in terms of both dollars and years.Only a couple of seasons removed from cap hell, which was in part due to the contract extension of former quarterback Mark Sanchez, one of the last things the Jets want to do is put themselves in a similar position by overpaying for Fitzpatrick.

On the other hand, though, if the Jets are indeed set a specific price tag and let Fitz walk, they are very likely mortgaging their present.This team is currently built on veterans such as Darrelle Revis (30), Matt Forte (30), Brandon Marshall (31) and Eric Decker (28). While they do have younger players likeSheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams, among others, this is a team that's built to win now.If the Jets let Fitzpatrick leave and turn to a wildcard whether it be internally, externally or through the draft, there's no telling on how competitive this team will be despite the talent they have elsewhere.

Even with Fitz having arguably the greatest statistical season a Jets quarterback has ever had this past year, the team still missed out on the postseason.Entering the 2016-2017 season, the Jets have a much tougher schedule as they're set to face two of the best divisions in the league with the NFC West and the AFC North. And, as they do every year, they'll have four total games against the New England Patriots andBuffalo Bills, whom they finished with a 1-3 record against last season.With Fitzpatrick it'll be a battle for the Jets to reach the postseason for the first time since 2010. Without him, though, it may be nearly impossible.

For the Jets' sake, they'd better hope that Ryan Fitzpatrick, who knows that this is probably the best situation for him, eventually blinks and settles on a fair contract.If not, however, they're going to have a difficult decision to make. And personally, I don't envy their position.

>     http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/3/10/11194044/the-ryan-fitzpatrick-dilemma

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Here's my last comment on Ryan Fitzpatrick  until he signs somewhere .  A great QB can make average or below average WRs look all world .  Great WRs can make average or below average WRs look all world . 

Which one is Ryan Fitzpatrick ? 

What about great WR's that have the best years of their whole career with a QB?  Where does that fit into the equation?

Just now, Beerfish said:

What about great WR's that have the best years of their whole career with a QB?  Where does that fit into the equation?

Marshall was Marshall, he didn't have his best season and despite 17 more targets than 2014 Decker only had 6 more recs(and Decker was playing hurt much of 2014).

are you really suggesting Fitz and Decker had monster years?

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

#s were good in perfect system for him, a QB friendly system that he knew.  he also had most talent for a Jets QB since the 80s w/ a weak sched to feast on.  It's great he put up excellent #s but did those #s help this ultra talented team get to the playoffs?  That is all I care about and all we should all care about but instead as a fanbase we want a meaningless #s guy instead of one that can win.  I don't get it.

Shouldn't that be good enough for people?  A Qb playing in a system that fits him perfectly and having success?

It's amusing how the bar for last years team changed totally after the season.  A 4 win team the year before, only the most optimistic people in this forum even thought seriously of playoffs.  The jets win 10 games but blow it in the last game and all of a sudden it was a ready made playoff team that really should have won 11 or 12 games.  Total revisionist poppycock.  If anything the offense out performed the vaunted defense where most of the money was spent last year.  Defense, special teams and a few coaching blunders cost this team at least as much as the bad 3 int game to end the season.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I like Fitz too but at the right price.

Please stop putting geno and mark together.  mark helped us reach 2 title games, Geno(and Fitz) have never helped us even reach the playoffs.

You love to raise Mark Sanchez up on a mountain when his 1st two years he had a top 5 running game, defense and oline and yet the current Qb gets kicked in the head for mostly playing better than 'Mark' and having gobs of pro bowl talent around him.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

That's why we shouldn't offer him more than a 1-year deal. Keep him playing for his next contract at all times.

Fitz is a flash in the pan who when needing to step up, was unable to, has proven he is unable to.

Started 5-0 with the Bills and shlt the bed.

I want to sign him to a reasonable number.  8-10 wins, no playoffs, why do we need to overpay for that?

We'll get a middle of the pack  draft pick and continue the mediocrity.

Clearly JETS management agrees with us.

If Denver signs a QB - Fitz has no leverage...he takes whatever offer is on the table.  If Denver wants to pay him then we make the Kaep trade or go to battle with Geno/Petty...and draft someone in the 1st round.

Browns get Kaep and don't draft a QB - we'll get one of the 3 at 20.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Shouldn't that be good enough for people?  A Qb playing in a system that fits him perfectly and having success?

It's amusing how the bar for last years team changed totally after the season.  A 4 win team the year before, only the most optimistic people in this forum even thought seriously of playoffs.  The jets win 10 games but blow it in the last game and all of a sudden it was a ready made playoff team that really should have won 11 or 12 games.  Total revisionist poppycock.  If anything the offense out performed the vaunted defense where most of the money was spent last year.  Defense, special teams and a few coaching blunders cost this team at least as much as the bad 3 int game to end the season.

I want him back, I am happy with him but not at all costs.

the 4 win team stuff is nonsense, the talent on the 2014 team was nothing compared to 2015.  we had playoff talent(if not more) in 2015 and had a golden opportunity w/ a weak sched and blew it.

week 17 was a total team meltdown, the D allowed Buf to control the clock but the O played scared and then the big INT in the EZ.

The season was NOT a success.

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It speaks to the fact that the Fitz complainers who would rather have geno smith or mark sanchez are coo coo coacoa puffs.

Sanchez took down Peyton and Brady on the road in the playoffs. 

Eleven year Fitz gets to the doorstep of his first playoff ever and faints on the welcome mat.

That was a farina schedule with marshmallow bits, don't forget.

2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Sanchez took down Peyton and Brady on the road in the playoffs. 

Eleven year Fitz gets to the doorstep of his first playoff ever and faints on the welcome mat. That was a farina schedule with marshmallow bits, don't forget.

Our elite defense and running game took down Peyton and Brady on the road in the playoffs.

The Jets passing game carried the 2015 Jets to 10 wins (1 more than that 2009 Sanchez-led team and only 1 less than the loaded 2010 squad).  Now, one can certainly make a case that Decker and Marshall played as big or even more of a role than Fitz did.  But the 2009-10 Jets passing attack was anemic, and poor QB play was certainly the top reason there.

Archived