Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

20 minutes ago, F.Chowds said:

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t ready to accept backup money from the Jets. The question is whether anyone else will give him more than backup money.

Two teams reportedly can’t be scratched from that list: The Browns and Rams, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

The leaves the Broncos as the most viable option. But if Fitzpatrick is looking to parlay a season that ended with a Week 17 meltdown in Buffalo against the last team that gave him big money, the Broncos surely won’t give him that.

So where will Fitzpatrick land? It all depends on the outcome of a bizarro game of musical chairs that has more seats than rear ends, and that currently features uncertainty for a quintet of guys who were each starters at some point a year ago:Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Johnny Manziel, andBrian Hoyer.

When did $8-$10 mil become "backup money"?

Then again, when was RGIII a starter last season?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Sexton and Fitzpatrick are now entering "damage control" mode because they just aren't going to get

15-18 million a year.  They should've realized the good situation Fitzpatrick is in and "quietly" got the deal

done

No bridges have been burned here.  Our offer isn't off the table, I imagine.  Any time Fitz wants to come back to the Jets we'll welcome him with open arms.....But at a price closer to a quality backup than an average NFL starter.

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Sexton and Fitzpatrick are now entering "damage control" mode because they just aren't going to get

15-18 million a year.  They should've realized the good situation Fitzpatrick is in and "quietly" got the deal

done

This is all agent driven, I could give 2 sh*ts what a young & upcoming 6'-7" QB with a great arm that also moves well got. We're talking about a journeyman 5'- 10" 32 year old QB with a weak arm, who has been on 5 teams in 6 years, who was reunited with a coach that drove his only past success, playing with arguable a top 3 WR tandem in the league vs a cream puff schedule, who sh*t the bed by throwing 3 consecutive interceptions in a must win game vs a team who's bags were packing in the lockeroom. We needed to come out fast and instead stalled like a 12 cylinder Jag. His supposed worth based on media commentary & the Osweiller contract are completely unfounded. His current availibility cements that theory. 

Like I said before.  The Jets are playing poker with Fitz.  The Jets bet (initial offer) on the turn.   Fitz raised on a semi-bluff with a few outs like a gut-shot straight draw.  The Jets re-raised.  Fitz will almost certainly fold.  Either that or he can try to suck out and wait for a team desperate in the summer.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to feel bad for a guy like Fitz who's made a sh*t-ton of money despite underwhelming results, but this has to be a kick in the balls for him. He's supposedly a pro's pro, but signing for a third of what Brock Osweiler did, and significantly less that Alex Smith did is going to leave a mark.

yeah it probably stings when you get offered the same as a guy who's started 2 total NFL games in his career 

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to feel bad for a guy like Fitz who's made a sh*t-ton of money despite underwhelming results, but this has to be a kick in the balls for him. He's supposedly a pro's pro, but signing for a third of what Brock Osweiler did, and significantly less that Alex Smith did is going to leave a mark.

They offered Fitz a $20M contract. If he's worth it he'll get every nickel of it because it's a relative bargain these days. 

At some point he has to look in the mirror and at his family and not at how much other guys are getting. Especially the mirror, since the last quarter of the last game probably cost him an additional $20M. Maybe more. If he throws a TD instead of a pick from their 14, and then if we win even 1 playoff game (unless it was clearly despite him), he's looking at contract offers at least double what he's got so far. You could say the same about Hoyer in the playoffs. No he wouldn't get Osweiller deals coming in, but he'd get a good amount north of $5M at least for the upcoming season if his TD:INT ratio was turned around (or even a little less than that). 

These guys failed with the money - their money - on the line. They don't have anyone else to blame and, as you say, have both "made a sh*t-ton of money despite underwhelming results." They have to show they bring something to the table other than the optimism of youth, physical prowess, & huge upside, because neither has any of that.

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Must be all those Jets records he shattered. 

To be fair I was absolutely impressed and wanted him next year until the Buffalo game.   Hell if he won that game he get 16-19 million from someone .  Since he didn't screw him.  Don't care.  

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Must be because all of those Jets records he shattered. 

So even though we were all impressed it seems the Broncos, Rams & Browns weren't as easily impressed. Must have the films that showed all the slighting over & under thrown deep balls. I like Fitz, I really do, but this talk of 15-18 million is so f*cking ludicrous & it has been from the outset. Fitz was traded by the Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett Texans! A team so desperate for a QB they just gave a young gun that played in 7 games a gazillion dollars. Come crawling back Fitzy & take our offer, all will be forgotten, and remember, SLIDE!

39 minutes ago, section314 said:

If Shefter is right, and the Jets(dare I say it) are ok with Geno, why do we need Fitz at all?

I know i sound like a broken record, but...

If your agenda reads: DRAFTING A QB IN 6 WEEKS

Then why get yourself caught up in an eight figure contract and polarizing QB situation? That's what Mac's thinking. Hey Fitz, we got 8 mil for ya. If not, hello Geno. Either way, neither of you are the long term plan. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

To be fair I was absolutely impressed and wanted him next year until the Buffalo game.   Hell if he won that game he get 16-19 million from someone .  Since he didn't screw him.  Don't care.  

I stuck to my guns for 15 weeks, then on December 27th Ryan Fitzpatrick actually fooled me too (Patriots game). Then came January 3rd, week 17 and then I knew that I just fell for exactly what I told myself the entire season to watch out for (Bills game). 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is dead to me. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I know i sound like a broken record, but...

If your agenda reads: DRAFTING A QB IN 6 WEEKS

Then why get yourself caught up in an eight figure contract and polarizing QB situation? That's what Mac's thinking. Hey Fitz, we got 8 mil for ya. If not, hello Geno. Either way, neither of you are the long term plan. 

Well the answer to that is to have an actual mentor to help young QB's become good pros.  Who would you rather be a starter while Paxton Lynch is learning behind for a year?  Fitz or Geno?

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

How do you say the same thing I do, at the same time, and take well under a couple hundred words to do it?

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So even though we were all impressed it seems the Broncos, Rams & Browns weren't as easily impressed. Must have the films that showed all the slighting over & under thrown deep balls. I like Fitz, I really do, but this talk of 15-18 million is so f*cking ludicrous & it has been from the outset. Fitz was traded by the Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett Texans! A team so desperate for a QB they just gave a young gun that played in 7 games a gazillion dollars. Come crawling back Fitzy & take our offer, all will be forgotten, and remember, SLIDE!

Im just glad that Macc is at the Helm because anyone else probagly would have given him 18 million dollars on a multi-year deal and I would have literally stopped rooting for this team at that moment (Until the regular season began lol). 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I stuck to my guns for 15 weeks, then on December 27th Ryan Fitzpatrick actually fooled me too (Patriots game). Then came January 3rd, week 17 and then I knew that I just fell for exactly what I told myself the entire season to watch out for (Bills game). 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is dead to me. 

It was fun while it lasted.  If he wanted to get paid should have beat Buffalo.  

13 hours ago, CobraVerde said:

Petty has an arm, has size and has a year under his belt. Time to throw him in or else he will go wasted and unaccounted for like so many other back ups who seemingly had potential but never got a chance cause of management politics  and media influence.

You mean like Brooks Bollinger and Matt Simms.

Just be patient dude, Fitz will probably be back. If not, hopefully Geno, who isn't as bad as everyone believes, can get his head right and get the job done. Otherwise, it's what we're used to: another rebuilding year

Well the answer to that is to have an actual mentor to help young QB's become good pros.  Who would you rather be a starter while Paxton Lynch is learning behind for a year?  Fitz or Geno?

The answer is obviously Fitz, but I'm not in on paying an extra 4-6 mill for that perk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Paradis said:

The answer is obviously Fitz, but I'm not in on paying an extra 4-6 mill for that perk.

And I don't think the Jets are going to go over board on it either, they also believe it or not do not want to pack in the year before it starts, they are not in full tank mode.  What is an acceptable value for Fitz for you?  Would you go for 2 years at 8 million a year?

48 minutes ago, KRL said:

done

Rule Number 1 as a negotiator, you never make your client feel slighted or undervalued.  Fitz' agents should have known his real value prior to this free agency period. Not grand stand but really know!! 

That is supposed to be the big difference between us on and a fan site and the so called "professionals" directing this whole charade.

I like Fitz and don't want him to look bad.....

IMO Disgraceful!!!!

And I don't think the Jets are going to go over board on it either, they also believe it or not do not want to pack in the year before it starts, they are not in full tank mode.  What is an acceptable value for Fitz for you?  Would you go for 2 years at 8 million a year?

About that yea. Still more than I'd like but it's a premium position and comes with the territory. Once we break 10 I start frowning.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Rule Number 1 as a negotiator, you never make your client feel slighted or undervalued.  Fitz' agents should have known his real value prior to this free agency period. Not grand stand but really know!! 

That is supposed to be the big difference between us on and a fan site the so called "professionals" directing this whole charade.

I like Fitz and don't want him to look bad.....

IMO Disgraceful!!!!

I don't see it that way. Fitz had a good year last year. Sexton tried to take advantage of that fact, along with the insanity going on in the free agent QB market.  They took a gamble and lost, but I don't fault them for trying.

1 minute ago, 77DRAFT said:

Only a complete idiot would offer Fitz anything other than back up money,

enter our coach and GM.

Yes, because they couldn't wait to hand out Fitz a $15 million contract, and are not patiently waiting for him to lower his asking price.

Wait...

The QB market is not really a true market.  

In the case of Phliadelphia and Houston, they made big bets on QBs that they think will carry them for the next few years.  I don't think they are planning on drafting a QB high-a first round QB also costs meaningfully money.   Thus, if Macc budgets QB at 15mm max, he must be thinking about the 3 in total.  

Foles may be the closest comparison to Fitz, in that he has the skills to get it done,but will not necessarily get you to the playoffs.

The Jets already invested more in RBs than I thought they would.  Fitz really makes sense at a fair price so that the Jets can be decent this year with their veterans.  Maybe even Geno can put together a decent offense with Forte, Powell, Decker and Marshall.

14 hours ago, CobraVerde said:

He got his year on the bench and warmed his seat enough. Time to get in the fire and see what we got. Fitzpatrick was NEVER the guy. He had a great year and it was his team if he wanted it but he knows the Jets have him on a short leash and they (OMG I PRAY) will not pay him a huge contract. And that's what he wants. He is a Harvard graduate and those bills arent cheap. Guy got money from the Bills, from the Texans and since the Jets werent gonna give him anything he's gone. AND THAT IS OK. He is not the guy. He NEVER was. 

Petty has an arm, has size and has a year under his belt. Time to throw him in or else he will go wasted and unaccounted for like so many other back ups who seemingly had potential but never got a chance cause of management politics  and media influence. Kapernick is sh*t and with the way the media is here he will be eaten alive at the first sign of stress and regurgitate back into his shell and fetal position in the corner. 

Let's not do another Matt Simms who is now over in Atlanta waiting for his chance. Let's get Petty in there WHO CAN THROW THE DEEP BALL AND NOT LEAVE PASSES SHORT, Bring in a vet to back him up and start getting him acclimated to being this teams leader. Let's stop babying him. Throw him in the blazing inferno. 

i like it. it kills 2 birds with one stone. first, it ensures that the jets are not competative this season. second, it destroys any chance of petty developing into a competant qb

27 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I don't see it that way. Fitz had a good year last year. Sexton tried to take advantage of that fact, along with the insanity going on in the free agent QB market.  They took a gamble and lost, but I don't fault them for trying.

I agree with you they should try. 

I am saying something much different I believe that your trying has to be based first and foremost upon intel, reality and preparation..

I just feel that their preparation here was poor.  I mean Fitz wasn't and isn't an unknown quantity. 

Fitz' agents had to know that only a few teams would have any interest at all in Fitz.  Remember the Jets the year before got him for virtually nothing.  So in that first phase of preparation you should anticipate that you are going to get a low ball offer. The idea that he was supposed to get 18 million dollars based upon last year alone is and was just not realistic IMO and is being born out by the deafening silence in the NFL QB marketplace.

Archived