Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He also broke his leg Pats Fan...

that could have something to do with it. I would argue Obrien right now would love to have Fitz over Hoyer & Yates and the recently released douchebag. System and a supporting  cast have a lot to do with a Qbs success. By no means is Fitz an All Pro but his stats for the past two seasons sure look good. Any team in the league would sign up for 20-8. Like I have mentioned on other posts, have you ever heard of Rich Gannon?

that could have something to do with it. I would argue Obrien right now would love to have Fitz over Hoyer & Yates and the recently released douchebag. System and a supporting  cast have a lot to do with a Qbs success. By no means is Fitz an All Pro but his stats for the past two seasons sure look good. Any team in the league would sign up for 20-8. Like I have mentioned on other posts, have you ever heard of Rich Gannon?

Again, there is a reason why the Texans let him go.

He's not that good.

Exactly...the guy is 13-9 over his last 22 starts with 39 TD's and 19 INT's...plus 4 rushing TD's (43 total TD's)...those stats on 2 different teams with first year head coaches coming off of 2-14 and 4-12 seasons. Actually quite an accomplishment.

Indeed.

I will gladly take their scraps who has led us to a 7-5 record and added stability. I'm ok with calling him a journeyman and him not being elite. If and when he gets us to the playoffs this year, it will be even a bigger steal for a 7th round pick.

Thank you Texans

Indeed.

I will gladly take their scraps who has led us to a 7-5 record and added stability. I'm ok with calling him a journeyman and him not being elite. If and when he gets us to the playoffs this year, it will be even a bigger steal for a 7th round pick.

Thank you Texans

And how bright does the future look for the Jets with Fitz at QB?

Hell, Woody probably will give him a Sanchez-like extension because he is 7-5.

The future looks fine my man. He is in his early 30s and we should sign him to a two year extension to give Petty time. He obviously plays well in Gailey's system and I think can duplicate these numbers next year. He is by no means our Franchise Qb because of age and limitations, but can definitely hold the fort for 2 year.

I would have no problem having Fitz start at quarterback for the Jets next season. In fact, if he continues his play and the Jets make the playoffs, he's earned it.

Sit Petty and groom him the right way, if Mac doesn't see him as the future then take a look at quarterbacks in the draft this year and next year.. The Jets are actually in a pretty decent position at quarterback for once.

Fitz has led the Jets to 7 wins with 4 games remaining. The same team that had 4 wins last year. He only has four losses on his resume this year, because Eugene has the other. Fitz has been playing great the last 3 games by not making dumb mistakes forcing the ball and has been the ultimate game manager. How many Qbs could of done what he did from the 4th quarter on this past game. There are not many in the league today who could of orchestrated those 3 drives. He is the right guy @ the right time.

And how bright does the future look for the Jets with Fitz at QB?

Hell, Woody probably will give him a Sanchez-like extension because he is 7-5.

And that is the conundrum where they are dammed if they and dammed if they do not.

Fitz is probably good enough to hold off Petty for the next two years.  By then, similar to Chad, they will have a season of games to see what he has and if he plays well, they will need to resign him.

Again, there is a reason why the Texans let him go.

He's not that good.

Once again, you have no clue...I assume you would use this logic with Brandon Marshall as well. If you think the Jets special teams are bad, you should have seen the Texans last year, and their defense was average at best, minus some highlight film stuff by JJ Watt. Unfortunately, there is similar naivety even within professional organizations who, just like several before them, have used Ryan Fitzpatrick as a scapegoat for the failures and shortcomings of their team. Hopefully the Jets who, by the way, are in a far better place than they were last season as opposed to the Texans, who will have to win 3 out of their final 4 games just to be on par with last season, will not make a similar mistake and shake up an offense that is performing at a high level with a quarterback who has the overwhelming respect ánd support of his teammates.

People were getting pretty down on Fitz a couple weeks ago, with a good amount of talk about sitting him for Geno. Now after a couple wins against against a couple bad teams, we're talking about him being handed the starting job next year? Best hope is that Fitz's thumb injury was bothering him during that slump, and that now he's back. More likely, though, that the fish are in complete disarray, and that the jints are always game for blowing a double-digit lead (the Jet loss was their fourth blown 10+ point lead this season). 

I'd like to see Fitz back on a reasonable deal because if nothing else he's a solid pro who'd be an awesome backup. Petty should get a shot but, if they don't think so, they should look to draft another QB. If they make the real bold move and chase after a Drew Brees, then it'll be thanks for the memories, Fitz! 

People were getting pretty down on Fitz a couple weeks ago, with a good amount of talk about sitting him for Geno. Now after a couple wins against against a couple bad teams, we're talking about him being handed the starting job next year?

I'm all for getting on people for extrapolating sh*t, but let's at least understand the context here. It's not just a couple wins against a couple bad teams; it's almost 700 yards, 6 touchdowns and no turnovers during consecutive wins against the Dolphins and Giants. Irrational, maybe, but I can get how people would get fired up about the past few weeks. Kicking ass consecutively against the Fish and Gints is a pretty surefire way to endear yourself to Jets fans.

sure right behind Andy dalton then? lol fitz has one game where he gets to pad the stats against a team that gave up and all the homers come out. The Giants are going to kill us on sunday

Ohhhhhh. Ohhhh boy, that's really unfortunate. Yeaaaahhhhh......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for getting on people for extrapolating sh*t, but let's at least understand the context here. It's not just a couple wins against a couple bad teams; it's almost 700 yards, 6 touchdowns and no turnovers during consecutive wins against the Dolphins and Giants. Irrational, maybe, but I can get how people would get fired up about the past few weeks. Kicking ass consecutively against the Fish and Gints is a pretty surefire way to endear yourself to Jets fans.

This. 

People were getting pretty down on Fitz a couple weeks ago, with a good amount of talk about sitting him for Geno. Now after a couple wins against against a couple bad teams, we're talking about him being handed the starting job next year? Best hope is that Fitz's thumb injury was bothering him during that slump, and that now he's back. More likely, though, that the fish are in complete disarray, and that the jints are always game for blowing a double-digit lead (the Jet loss was their fourth blown 10+ point lead this season). 

I'd like to see Fitz back on a reasonable deal because if nothing else he's a solid pro who'd be an awesome backup. Petty should get a shot but, if they don't think so, they should look to draft another QB. If they make the real bold move and chase after a Drew Brees, then it'll be thanks for the memories, Fitz! 

There was zero legitimate talk about benching Fitz. Bowles never considered it and rightly so. Taking the temperature of how a player is performing based on the climate of this message board is a fool's errand. 

As to your last point, I'd rather have Fitz here for 5-7 million next year or two than Brees for 20. That's just a no brainer.  

Pats fans are too spoiled to understand what it's like for 90% of teams. Once Brady retires then they will understand.

There is probably more to this than we realize.  It isn't just Brady.  Brady replaced the #1 overall pick who was not a bust.  Bledsoe wasn't great, but he was a quality NFL QB.  The Pats haven't had to deal with true sh*t at QB since MacPherson was coach and they were rolling out Hugh Millen, Scott Zolak and Tommy Hodson.  Most of these guys weren't born then.  To provide some perspective, that was around the time the O'Brien era was ending for the Jets.

-- Two weeks ago, the New York Jets' mane man -- Ryan Fitzpatrick -- decided it was time for a new look. He went to his local barber shop and, after phoning a couple of famous friends for last-minute advice, he instructed hair stylist Curtis Kyzima to trim his prodigious beard.Since then, Fitzpatrick has been one of the hottest quarterbacks in the NFL -- six touchdown passes, no interceptions, 667 yards and two big wins, including a hair-raising finish against the New York Giants.You don't have to be Sherlock Combs to connect the dots: He lost the scruff and snapped out of a two-game slump, hardly a coincidence to the folks at V's Barbershop."Anytime you get a haircut, you have more confidence in yourself because you're clean-shaven and look good. So, yeah, I'd definitely say it's had an impact on his game," Kyzima said, laughing.

Kyzima, 19, is a die-hard Jets fan, so he understands the football reasons behind Fitzpatrick's career year. But he also thinks it's kind of cool that his razor and comb played a small part in the veteran quarterback's 2015 story.Now he's invested in the team more than ever. Kyzima watched the end of the Jets-Giants game on the barber-shop TV, sitting in the same chair as Fitzpatrick did on his most recent visit.

"I'm happy he's playing like a champion," Kyzima said.

Fitzpatrick has visited the shop five or six times, according to owner Jamie Emma. He's known as a regular guy with no ego -- and a generous tipper. He left a $100 tip for a $25 haircut and a $12 beard trim. He was a first-time customer for Kyzima, who said his heart was "racing 1,000 miles per hour." He might have been a little nervous, but he held it together, steadying his hand as he used a straight razor on the quarterback's neck.When Fitzpatrick arrived that day, he still was undecided on what to do with his bushy beard. Part of him wanted to keep it. Another part of him, cognizant of the team's losing streak, wanted to change the mojo. Sitting in the chair, the quarterback, accustomed to having the plays sent to him via headset, reversed the process. He called out for instructions.Fitzpatrick took out his cell phone and conducted separate "FaceTime" conversations with his wide receivers, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. (Usually, split ends aren't helpful during haircuts.) The consensus: Lose the beard.

"We took it down little by little," Kyzima said.A neatly groomed quarterback emerged. Since then, Fitzpatrick's stature has re-grown faster than the beard.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56906/explaining-ryan-fitzpatricks-hot-streak-shave-and-a-haircut-two-wins

And that is the conundrum where they are dammed if they and dammed if they do not.

Fitz is probably good enough to hold off Petty for the next two years.  By then, similar to Chad, they will have a season of games to see what he has and if he plays well, they will need to resign him.

two more years of Fitz is ludicrous unless the goal is to be mediocre...I have stated I am all in for him this year but to think he is a foundational player is completely delusional. He is a complete JAG that had success because of Marshall and Gailey, and the Jets MUST have a different starter next year. He has to essentially play perfect to win, which he has done the last couple of weeKS but to think he sustains that is just accepting mediocrity

two more years of Fitz is ludicrous unless the goal is to be mediocre...I have stated I am all in for him this year but to think he is a foundational player is completely delusional. He is a complete JAG that had success because of Marshall and Gailey, and the Jets MUST have a different starter next year. He has to essentially play perfect to win, which he has done the last couple of weeKS but to think he sustains that is just accepting mediocrity

No. No they don't. This draft class is weak, Petty probably needs another camp and preseason, Geno is done here, and the free agent class offers nothing better than what the Jets currently have. Go into 2016 with Fitz, Petty and another draft pick and see what happens. If Fitz falters you see what you have in Petty. If Petty fails you get a high draft pick in 2017 and you'll get to see what a rookie might have then.

Drew Brees' shoulder is held together with silly putty and Popsicle sticks 

I'd still love to have him, but the pricetag will be too high for what he'll bring to the table.  He'd struggle big time late in the season here playing in cold weather.  If the Texans aren't in love with Hoyer, Houston seems like a likely destination for him if he doesn't stick around in New Orleans.  The Rams would be a candidate too if they didn't have all kinds of uncertainty regarding who the coach will be and whether they'll be in STL or LA. 

isnt as cut and dry as this. fitz has atleast 4 more games. but what if he starts 5,6,7, or even 8 more games? things can definetely change, for the good or the bad, this season. then who would you replace him with? it would depend on who is available and who shakes loose. it would have to be a clear upgrade if fitz keeps playing the way he has. anything close to a lateral move wouldnt make sense

I dont take what fans are saying as giving him the starting position.  I take it as we have the floor set at QB for once in a LOOOOOONG time that is not absolutely atrocious and have to hope that next year, said horrible QB improves.  So bring him back at a reasonable deal and draft sign another to compete with Petty for back up duties.

Fitzpatrick has been a slightly above average QB this year by basically every available metric.  Exactly what Fitz supporters said he'd be from the start. 

I suppose I can understand peoples' fear that his presence will make our front office and coaching staff be unwilling to add any more QB's this offseason.  In that I trust that Macc knows what he's doing, and at the very least, we do have Petty here to develop.  Fitz is 33 and not our future.  But there is nothing wrong with wanting to bring him back for another year or 2.  At the bare minimum he's the ideal backup/spot starter for a team looking to find its franchise QB.  It will all depend on whether Fitz gets better offers elsewhere, which I doubt.  He's in a good situation here, and surprisingly few teams out there appear like they are going to be looking for a QB this offseason.

32 as a Qb is not old at all. Also because our offense is now predicated on running and getting the ball out quickly, age makes no difference. As long as the man learns how to slide he can have 5 good years left. Now if Im the Jets, I see how he finishes and if he shows up like he has practically all year. You sign him to a two year deal. This will give Petty an extra year or two to develop behind a cerebral Qb and really learn the NFL game and speed. We have nothing to lose by starting Fitz. His last two years statistically are above average and he has won 7 games this year while only losing 4. If he wins 2/3 more games and plays well, he deserves to come back....

The Pro Bowl is probably too much to ask but there is a precedent for these late career surges. Rich Gannon is another example. 

besides why are people getting it mixed up. There is a huge chasm between geno and pro bowl. Fitz is a guy in between somewhere. And that's an upgrade. Analysis complete, for this year, at least.

The Pro Bowl is probably too much to ask but there is a precedent for these late career surges. Rich Gannon is another example. 

Gannon is who Fitz is more reminiscent of to me. Career backup/journeyman type, who lacked exceptional physical ability. Yet late in his career, found himself with the right team and the light seemed to go on for him. 

I'm not saying Fitz will be a league MVP like Gannon was, but I feel he is better than a lot of people give him credit for. And I do feel this team is the perfect spot for him at this point in his career. 

Gannon is who Fitz is more reminiscent of to me. Career backup/journeyman type, who lacked exceptional physical ability. Yet late in his career, found himself with the right team and the light seemed to go on for him. 

I'm not saying Fitz will be a league MVP like Gannon was, but I feel he is better than a lot of people give him credit for. And I do feel this team is the perfect spot for him at this point in his career. 

Jim Plunkett is another one.

Archived