Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Definitely a team game, but we're so obsessed with QBs that some people ignore everything else.

Sanchez was atrocious for an entire half.  How many yards did the offense gain in their first four or five possessions?  

Also not sure of the conditions, but I don't think it was 25ish MPH wind gusts which is a death sentence with Fitz + Stevan Ridley as your no. 1 RB.

I'm not trying to get into a Sanchez debate, I think Jets fans give too much blame on QBs they don't like to losses, and don't give them any credit when they win, it's dumb mentality. QB is the most important player, but they rarely win or lose games by themselves.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know if those are hard figures that both sides are holding fast to, I say COMPROMISE....

You need your starting QB in house as soon as possible. The Jets have other team interests to pursue, not knowing whether Fitz will be the starter only confuses other issues. So I say, meet in the middle 100% purely on incentives. The Jets are offering 7 million per season Fitz wants 15 million per, so if I were Mac I would offer 11 million which Fitz can ONLY hit if everything goes right.

An incentive for staying healthy, everyone knows Fitz plays the game hard and doesn't shy away from contact. He needs to learn how to slide and if he gets injured? Basically ALL of the incentives fall by the way side. He should hit on an incentive if he passes for more than 4,000 yards and betters his TD to INT ratio from 2015. In 2015 he had 3,905 yards for 31 TD and 15 INT. He'll hit on that incentive if he surpasses 4,000 yards passing, has MORE than 31 TD's and throws LESS than 15 interceptions. He should hit on another incentive if the Jets win MORE than 10 games this upcoming season. He should hit on another incentive if the Jets make the playoffs.

This is quite logical as far as I am concerned. The crux of this issue is that the Jets do not believe Fitz is worth franchise QB money. Fitz thinks he is. So if he hits on the above incentives, wouldn't those numbers represent franchise QB numbers? If so, doesn't that mean he's EARNED that 11 million dollars?

If he falls flat on his face and reverts to the Ryan Fitzpatrick from Buffalo, doesn't that mean that he has NOT earned that extra 4 million in incentives?

If I'm Mac I don't care about what Fitz did last season, The Jets have already offered Fitz a raise over last season, so last season, therefore, has no bearing on 2016.

I would think his would be a very logical and objective solution to the money dispute at hand. Everyone knows the Jets are trying to build a SB winner and if the Jets are doing their part, doesn't that mean that they INTEND to win more than 10 games in 2016? Doesn't that mean that they INTEND to add more offensive and defensive weapons to the team in an effort to surpass last years win total? This plays right into Fitz hands.

If the Jets get more talented on both sides of the ball and have more offensive weapons, doesn't that mean that Fitz would benefit from that as a direct result of Jets management? These weapons need someone to pass them the ball or hand it off to them? Do they not?

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I would argue that other events took place that day, but that's just me.

When you have the ball in your hands, down 3, on the 14 and throw a pick, its on you.  He should have held onto the ball and lived for another play.  I dont dislike Fitz but facts are facts.  In that position you have to protect the ball and the go ahead FG at all costs.  And he didnt, he gambled it all and lost.  

On 3/18/2016 at 5:07 PM, AFJF said:

Hmmmm....where have I heard this theory before?  I knew there had to be more than a handful of people who could figure it out.

The question was posed innocently enough. Seriously, I was the one that asked it. After going over the likes of Geno SmithRyan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty at his end-of-year press conference, Jets coach Todd Bowles turned to the 2016 season.

“You want Fitzpatrick back, but if he comes back, will he be the star…”

“If he returns,” Bowles interjected, “He’ll be the starting quarterback.”

And those eight words are exactly why the Jets are where they are now.

A week has now come and gone since the new league year began, and teams started throwing money left right and sideways at this year’s crop of unrestricted free agents. Mega-money deals were inked (seriously, Olivier Vernon is now one of the NFL’s highest-paid players), other big name stars were traded (Chandler Jones).

But all the while, the Jets, and their record-breaking quarterback from 2015, have sat at opposites sides of the table, not saying a word, waiting to see who would break first and pass the salt.

An unrestricted free agent, Fitzpatrick is in need of a new contract, and is reportedly looking for $15 million a year.

The Jets, in need of a quarterback, are offering a measly $8-$9 million a year.

Fitzpatrick won’t come down from his figure. The Jets won’t come up from theirs.

The result is an ongoing pissing match between two sides that are better together than apart. A high school lovers’ quarrel that is more frustrating and agonizing with the script of a box-office flop, than a five-star romantic comedy.

And you know what? The Jets are the ones to blame for it all. Every bit of it.

If Ryan Fitzpatrick is willing to bet his future on a comment by Bowles, then Im personally glad that Bowles made the comment and he should get an extension just based on that fact. 

6 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Those records are a result of the Jets poor QB performance over the last half century, not some significant accomplish by Fitz.

Last year there were 10 QB's who threw more TD's than Fitz and 14 QB's who threw for more yards.

Completion % & Int rate are likely equally important... But let's say they fall in line as well ... I would say splitting the difference , give or take , around the 12th ranked QB's salary for 2016 , with team leverage to move on in 2017, should be where the reasonable middle ground is found

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

Don't fret...NFL exec of the year is an amateur, and some of the internet GM's on the site are going to get word to him that the player he covets as his starting QB is actually garbabe, so then we'll go with Geno.  Problem solved.  LOL.

He covets Fitz so much, he's willing to pay him backup QB salary. Yay!

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

He covets Fitz so much, he's willing to pay him backup QB salary. Yay!

Said yesterday that he's still his top priority, yet you say he's garbage.  I wonder what it is you know that Mac doesn't.

6 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

You have nothing, you have your love for Geno, nothing more, carry on.

I have plenty n I've made it known several times. I don't buy into "he took a 4-12 team n won 10 bla bla bla". He's not a starting material QB. He's a good backup. There are plenty of teams that need a starting QB but it's been two wks since FA opened n he's still unsigned. Must be his 10 win and 30+ TD season. 

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When you have the ball in your hands, down 3, on the 14 and throw a pick, its on you.  He should have held onto the ball and lived for another play.  I dont dislike Fitz but facts are facts.  In that position you have to protect the ball and the go ahead FG at all costs.  And he didnt, he gambled it all and lost.  

That was definitely his worst play of the season.  Made me sick to my stomach.  But it wasn't the only play of the game and we saw them make the same mistakes over and over and over again on defense.  Also not knowing what to do with the running backs and asking a weak-armed Fitz to keep throwing it in the wind was a recipe for disaster.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Said yesterday that he's still his top priority, yet you say he's garbage.  I wonder what it is you know that Mac doesn't.

"Top priority" might be an overstatement when he's only willing to pay him backup money. Sounds like Mac does know Fitz. If not, I can show you 5 other GMs  n FOs that do know him n wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. 

Just now, j4jets said:

"Top priority" might be an overstatement when he's only willing to pay him backup money. Sounds like Mac does know Fitz. If not, I can show you 5 other GMs  n FOs that do know him n wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. 

Right, but I was talking about the NFL executive of the year.  I wonder why he's so fooled by Fitz while you know he's garbage.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Right, but I was talking about the NFL executive of the year.  I wonder why he's so fooled by Fitz while you know he's garbage.

Again, we are talking about relativity. 

16 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I have plenty n I've made it known several times. I don't buy into "he took a 4-12 team n won 10 bla bla bla". He's not a starting material QB. He's a good backup. There are plenty of teams that need a starting QB but it's been two wks since FA opened n he's still unsigned. Must be his 10 win and 30+ TD season. 

Geno Geno he's your man, if he can't do it.......

no one can!

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Geno Geno he's your man, if he can't do it.......

no one can!

Perhaps you missed his week 17 performance against the juggernaut Miami Dolphins two seasons ago?  I still don't get why Mac doesn't dangle Geno as trade bait to add another first rounder and a couple of seconds.

Completion % & Int rate are likely equally important... But let's say they fall in line as well ... I would say splitting the difference , give or take , around the 12th ranked QB's salary for 2016 , with team leverage to move on in 2017, should be where the reasonable middle ground is found

You are going down the wrong road if you want to use completion percentage and INT rate to support a JAG QB.

Last year Fitz was ranked 29th in completion percentage and 27th in INT rate.

If the Jets didn't have Marshall and Decker last year, Fitz would have won them 5 games.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You are going down the wrong road if you want to use completion percentage and INT rate to support a JAG QB.

Last year Fitz was ranked 29th in completion percentage and 27th in INT rate.

If the Jets didn't have Marshall and Decker last year, Fitz would have won them 5 games.

Are you trying to fire up the Geno Jihadi network?? ;) They will say Geno never had a combo lke that.. Hmmm I wonder what Brady could have done with them?? Factor in Gronk and Edelman and that would be quite the receiving core..

On March 18, 2016 at 9:20 AM, slats said:

Substitute Rex for Bowles, and this thread would already have 200 posts. Bowles should've kept his mouth shut. He's almost certainly not the entire cause of this impass, but he's definitely influenced it. 

Didn't Bowles also say he rested Ivory in the second half against the Bills ?

We are so screwed with this guy as our HC.  Hate to say it cause it looked like a good hire a year ago.

24 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Are you trying to fire up the Geno Jihadi network?? ;) They will say Geno never had a combo lke that.. Hmmm I wonder what Brady could have done with them?? Factor in Gronk and Edelman and that would be quite the receiving core..

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Perhaps you missed his week 17 performance against the juggernaut Miami Dolphins two seasons ago?  I still don't get why Mac doesn't dangle Geno as trade bait to add another first rounder and a couple of seconds.

Pretty sure Mac is holding out for a first in 16 and 17, can't let a commodity like Geno go unless you get fair market value

10 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Pretty sure Mac is holding out for a first in 16 and 17, can't let a commodity like Geno go unless you get fair market value

A first in 16 and 17 is just scratching the surface in reality.  I figured a 1st and a couple of 2nd's out of the kindness of his heart.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

how is Mac fooled by fitz? He's already come out and said he's not paying him starter money. He's offering him exactly what a competent backup is worth

Just now, cant wait said:

how is Mac fooled by fitz? He's already come out and said he's not paying him starter money. He's offering him exactly what a competent backup is worth

How is he fooled?  He's a garbage loser QB who will never amount to anything, whether it's vet minimum or $50 million per year, Fitz has fooled him into wanting him on the roster despite him being garbage.  How many people who are garbage at their jobs can dupe somebody into paying them $7 million a year to do it?

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

I would argue that other events took place that day, but that's just me.

I would argue that other events happened that day as well. But I would wait until those players contracts come up for renewal. Right now my case is aimed right at Fitzy lol.

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How is he fooled?  He's a garbage loser QB who will never amount to anything, whether it's vet minimum or $50 million per year, Fitz has fooled him into wanting him on the roster despite him being garbage.  How many people who are garbage at their jobs can dupe somebody into paying them $7 million a year to do it?

How many? Somewhere like 6 or so. They are called the best 26th - 32nd QBs in the world. :)

Didn't Bowles also say he rested Ivory in the second half against the Bills ?

We are so screwed with this guy as our HC.  Hate to say it cause it looked like a good hire a year ago.

I think I found your home under dat bridge

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

That was definitely his worst play of the season.  Made me sick to my stomach.  But it wasn't the only play of the game and we saw them make the same mistakes over and over and over again on defense.  Also not knowing what to do with the running backs and asking a weak-armed Fitz to keep throwing it in the wind was a recipe for disaster.

Sometimes the game plan changes according to the game.  That the plan changed as the game went on and meant the QB had to react accordingly isn't really an excuse.  If you're an 18 million dollar QB you don't throw INTs when the gam is yours for the taking and you don't blame other units for forcing you to protect the ball. 

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Definitely wasn't the only reason they lost. Bowles had a bad game \ game plan wise.

But we have some time until Bowles is up for a new contract. So he can stay on the on deck circle for now lol.

The smoking gun of how Fitzpatrick sabotaged his own negotiations:

"I hope so," Fitzpatrick said Monday in a somber locker room. "I don't want to live with hypotheticals, but I had a lot of fun this year. It's the most fun I've ever had in a season, with the guys in this locker room and the run we had in December. Hopefully, I can be back and can continue to build on that."

And the coup de gras "This is obviously a place I want to be, a place I'm comfortable with, but we'll see how everything goes," said Fitzpatrick, who made $3.25 million in the final year of his contract.

His agent's head must have been spinning. Didn't Fitz realize how throw away comments affect negotiations? Simple minded at best.

Archived