Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Sometimes the game plan changes according to the game.  That the plan changed as the game went on and meant the QB had to react accordingly isn't really an excuse.  If you're an 18 million dollar QB you don't throw INTs when the gam is yours for the taking and you don't blame other units for forcing you to protect the ball. 

I'm not even sure why we are blaming the D. It gave up 22 points n that too after several turnovers from our offense. Yeah, they could've covered Watkins better but are we really saying the D cost us the game? Those excuses are pretty poor. Giving up 22 points after 3 offensive turnovers is not a amazing job, but solid to say the least. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The smoking gun of how Fitzpatrick sabotaged his own negotiations:

"I hope so," Fitzpatrick said Monday in a somber locker room. "I don't want to live with hypotheticals, but I had a lot of fun this year. It's the most fun I've ever had in a season, with the guys in this locker room and the run we had in December. Hopefully, I can be back and can continue to build on that."

And the coup de gras "This is obviously a place I want to be, a place I'm comfortable with, but we'll see how everything goes," said Fitzpatrick, who made $3.25 million in the final year of his contract.

His agent's head must have been spinning. Didn't Fitz realize how throw away comments affect negotiations? Simple minded at best.

But he's an Ivy League QB. We all know they are the smartest QB in the league n that must mean they cannot make a mistake. Trent Edwards comes to mind. Interestingly, he also played for the Bills. 

Seems to me when a guy who who suddenly had a good year has his contract come up and you want him, what you usually do is offer him a somewhat lower guaranteed money figure but load up the contract with incentives that bring the money up quite a bit if he plays well.  Can't we do that here?

This whole Bowles controversy  reminds me of all the flack Herman Edwards got when he told Coles that as long as he was the HC, he would be on the team only to see Coles traded to the Skins in a contract squabble .

Sometimes you control what you can control  and the rest is what it is . 

Bowles controls who plays on game day while the GM and his money people control who is on the team .  It's obvious to anyone who's not bias that all parties involve in this dispute want to be with this team. It's further obvious that the Jets have only so much money to go around . At some point, sanity has to become reality if what everyone wants is to come to fruition .

In the meantime, I wish we all would quit this BS with the name calling and the trying to get others Banned because of opposing view points.  Folks, nobody cares what we think .  Civil discussion is in our best interest .

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This whole Bowles controversy  reminds me of all the flack Herman Edwards got when he told Coles that as long as he was the HC, he would be on the team only to see Coles traded to the Skins in a contract squabble .

Bowles controls who plays on game day while the GM and his money people control who is on the team .  It's obvious to anyone who's not bias that all parties involve in this dispute want to be with this team. It's further obvious that the Jets have only so much money to go around . At some point, sanity has to become reality if what everyone wants is to come to fruition .

In the meantime, I wish we all would quit this BS with the name calling and the trying to get others Banned because of opposing view points.  Folks, nobody cares what we think .  Civil discussion is in our best interest .

Great post, you dirty, rotten**%&&$#.:D

I'm not even sure why we are blaming the D. It gave up 22 points n that too after several turnovers from our offense. Yeah, they could've covered Watkins better but are we really saying the D cost us the game? Those excuses are pretty poor. Giving up 22 points after 3 offensive turnovers is not a amazing job, but solid to say the least. 

The D let BUF have the ball going into the wind for like 3/4 of the time. I remember after the 1st Q I turned to my wife and said ok great now we have the wind with us, only to watch BUF peel 12 minutes off the clock. The 1st INT was a back breaker because we would have taken the lead and probably won. The 2nd int was a great and HUGE gamble by Rex. He left a DLman covering Marshall 1x1 with an all out blitz. He knew Fit would see the matchup and counted on his D getting to him before Fitz got the throw off. If the line held the blitz off for just a nanosecond longer Marshall had 2 steps on his guy and would have walked in for the score. Instead Fitz's arm got hit and the rest is history. The 3rd int was irrelevant. That game was lost on coaching. At some point they had to adjust to stop letting Watkins abuse Revis and they never did. That's the ultimate reason they lost, with Fitz's pick just delivering the final death knell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Seems to me when a guy who who suddenly had a good year has his contract come up and you want him, what you usually do is offer him a somewhat lower guaranteed money figure but load up the contract with incentives that bring the money up quite a bit if he plays well.  Can't we do that here?

Ummmmm who says that the Jets haven't done just that?

IMO it is clear from what we have heard so far is that Fitz' agent wanted a very high base salary plus incentives.  

It is positional bargaining gone silly and Fitz has been hurt by it because he is the one now looking to save face when it's his agents job to protect him and his dignity as well as get him the highest possible bid.  

Just a poor job in my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

The D let BUF have the ball going into the wind for like 3/4 of the time. I remember after the 1st Q I turned to my wife and said ok great now we have the wind with us, only to watch BUF peel 12 minutes off the clock. The 1st INT was a back breaker because we would have taken the lead and probably won. The 2nd int was a great and HUGE gamble by Rex. He left a DLman covering Marshall 1x1 with an all out blitz. He knew Fit would see the matchup and counted on his D getting to him before Fitz got the throw off. If the line held the blitz off for just a nanosecond longer Marshall had 2 steps on his guy and would have walked in for the score. Instead Fitz's arm got hit and the rest is history. The 3rd int was irrelevant. That game was lost on coaching. At some point they had to adjust to stop letting Watkins abuse Revis and they never did. That's the ultimate reason they lost, with Fitz's pick just delivering the final death knell.

We gave up 22 point including 3 after one of the picks. Whatever the D did, they still managed to keep us in the game. The offense managed 17 points. You don't expect to win games scoring 17 points. It's 100% on the offense. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Hmmmp!!!

Why you and that Charlie Brown are nothing more than closet Herm lovers!!!!

Tinstar; thanks I just beat them to the punch. ☺️?

On 3/18/2016 at 0:20 PM, slats said:

Substitute Rex for Bowles, and this thread would already have 200 posts. Bowles should've kept his mouth shut. He's almost certainly not the entire cause of this impass, but he's definitely influenced it. 

Nothing could have been said Slats-all it takes is anybody with half a brain who can read to see that the Jets as of January 1st 2016 had 3 QBs on the roster, one of them is an untested rookie and the other is one of the dumbest players to ever play the position, it doesn't take a Rhodes scholar or even a guy with a blog to ask that poignant question or to figure that equation out 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

A little bit of class goes a long way.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645800/article/colon-if-fitz-doesnt-come-back-give-geno-another-try

The Jets are facing the real possibility that Ryan Fitzpatrick will play quarterback elsewhere in 2016 after one of the greatest single seasons at the position in Jets history.

So who would players inside the locker room prefer if Fitzpatrick ended up in, say, Denver?

"I think Geno has been humbled," former Jets guard Willie Colon -- currently a free agent -- said on ESPN Radio in New York Saturday. "I think he's been at the bottom and taken everything. I think he's ready to rise. I still have confidence in him. I think with the pieces we have around him he can be successful. Honestly, I believe that, I think Geno is a good quarterback."

He added: "If Fitz doesn't come back, I'd like to see Geno get another shot."

Colon, who has been one of the Jets' vocal leaders over the past three seasons and is mulling his own retirement, was asked to address Robert Griffin III as a possible option as well.

"A guy like RGIII, you know, for him he hasn't been on the field, coming into a new system and building that chemistry - you hear Brandon (Marshall) talk about that all the time. Chemistry and communication is everything for a quarterback and a receiver," he said. "And a guy like that has to get into a rhythm, he has to get into a rhythm with Chan Gailey and he has to understand the whole dynamic of the offense. And that is going to take time. So I understand Brandon's argument like 'Hey, me and Fitz have built this, it's working great, get him back here and let's continue to do what we've been doing."

The Jets are in a weird situation at quarterback. They are stuck between an accounting problem, a perception problem and the fear of once again stepping out into the abyss that is the NFL's free agent quarterback market. Griffin would seem like a terrible addition in Chan Gailey's quick strike offense, but would he come any cheaper than what Fitzpatrick is asking for? And what is worse -- overpaying a journeyman quarterback in his 30s who has flamed out on big contracts in the past, or striking out on a potentially dynamic young quarterback with plenty left in the tank?

And where does Geno Smith fit into all of this? In many ways, he's the most interesting piece of the puzzle -- a guy who was touted as the 2015 starter before getting cold-cocked by a teammate in the locker room. One has to respect Colon for saying what he did (and this is not the first time he's backed up Smith in public, either). He understands that Smith may be the likely option anyway, and that a good team stands behind their quarterback no matter what.

www.ganggreennation.com

Connor Hughes wrote an article at the end of last week blaming the Jets for Ryan Fitzpatrick contract demands. I disagree with the argument.

"If he returns," Bowles interjected, "He’ll be the starting quarterback."

And those eight words are exactly why the Jets are where they are now.

Everyone else, everyone, is making a minimum of $10 million a year. There are, no joke, 17 quarterbacks (more than half) slated to be making at least $15 million next season, according to OTC.

They’re all starters. Fitzpatrick, per the Jets own words, is the team’s unquestioned starter. By default, that makes him "worth" that much. That makes him able to ask for what he is.

If the Jets goal all along was to offer Fitzpatrick less than a starting quarterback’s salary ($8-$9 million a year), then the team shouldn’t have paraded around Florham Park telling anyone with two working ears (heck, one woulda done) he was their starting quarterback.

I think Connor Hughes does a really good job covering the Jets so don't think this is some sort of personal attack on him. I just don't agree with this particular argument.

Whether or not the Jets said explicitly Fitzpatrick was the starter, it is difficult to imagine that Fitzpatrick would be asking for less. That is because he gave a quality performance in 2015.  Those 17 quarterbacks making over $15 million are not even all of the quality quarterbacks in the league because you have guys like Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota on rookie deals. That is the going rate for a decent quarterback off his rookie deal. Todd Bowles' word didn't make it that way. The rest of the league did. That was going to be true no matter what the Jets said. Fitzpatrick's agent probably didn't realize this was the going rate only after the Jets said he would be the starter.

If anything, not guaranteeing Fitzpatrick the job if he returned would make the Jets' offer less attractive. If you are Fitzpatrick, would you prefer a team that will make you the starter or a team where you have to compete for the starting job. It was unclear many if any other teams would offer Fitzpatrick the chance to be the Week 1 starter. It is something that make the Jets more attractive, not less attractive. What is a better offer for Fitzpatrick? Is it around $7-8 million per year and knowing he's the starter or around $7-8 million per year and having to win the starting job? Why would Fitzpatrick be more likely to return to a team that won't even guarantee him the starting job after a good year? He might be less likely.

The Jets are not to blame for this standoff with their words. The market is to blame. Fitzpatrick thinks he is worth a certain figure. The Jets think he is worth less. At some point, somebody is going to move, another team will enter the picture, or some combination of these things will happen. We have to see how this finishes. I wouldn't blame anybody for anything until we have an outcome.

All he said is Geno should get another shot, not that Geno should start. I take for granted that if Geno is given another shot this summer, and looks terrible, he doesn't think he should still start anyway.

I will say that so far 2 out of 2 from the team - Mac and Colon - are publicly saying Geno is the next man up. Doesn't bode well for their opinion of Petty, or at least one of them would have said if Fitz doesn't return we feel good about whoever ends up on top between Geno and Bryce. They don't even mention Petty. Last time he was mentioned at all, Maccagnan said he thinks Petty could - could - develop into a #2 QB.

Hopefully Petty did some work in the offseason and makes them feel differently the next time they see him play, because those are not overwhelming votes of confidence.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All he said is Geno should get another shot, not that Geno should start. I take for granted that if Geno is given another shot this summer, and looks terrible, he doesn't think he should still start anyway.

I will say that so far 2 out of 2 from the team - Mac and Colon - are publicly saying Geno is the next man up. Doesn't bode well for their opinion of Petty, or at least one of them would have said if Fitz doesn't return we feel good about whoever ends up on top between Geno and Bryce. They don't even mention Petty. Last time he was mentioned at all, Maccagnan said he thinks Petty could - could - develop into a #2 QB.

Hopefully Petty did some work in the offseason and makes them feel differently the next time they see him play, because those are not overwhelming votes of confidence.

Didn't we all feel Petty was going to have to sit and learn for a couple of years?? I know I did... came out of system that's not conducive at the Pro level. 

Has all the physical tools.... just needs time to put it all together.

If Fitz walks and Glennon doesn't happen,  let Geno compete with RG3 or Hoyer(on a 1 yr. deal) and Petty.

Then if the season is over by game 10..... let Petty get some reps and see how he does..

If he sucks, go hard after Glennon at the deadline or FA and "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" until you get a Franchise QB

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didn't we all feel Petty was going to have to sit and learn for a couple of years?? I know I did... came out of system that's not conducive at the Pro level. 

If Fitz walks and Glennon doesn't happen,  let Geno compete with RG3 or Hoyer(on a 1 yr. deal) and Petty.

Then if the season is over by game 10..... let Petty get some reps and see how he does..

If he sucks, go hard after Glennon at the deadline or FA and "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" until you get a Franchise QB

+1 100% :)

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sure. I can't include myself since I didn't see him play in college. I expect him to be able to see the field by the second half of year 2 without getting "ruined" (as some people fear).

They've offered Fitz a contract they probably knew he wasn't going to take, made an inquiry for Kaepernick (though they didn't put in an offer), met with RG3, called about Glennon, and have said if need be they're good to go with Geno. None of that speaks optimistically about Bryce Petty's chances of doing anything productive this season.

Hard to say about how serious they'd be with a Hoyer possibility. Any links to his name this month have all the fingerprints of an agent leaking stories. There were a bunch of articles but they seemed to all be on or about the same day (March 10th) with just about nothing before or since. So I don't know if the Jets really have any interest in him this year. I know they were interested a year ago but that doesn't mean they'd still be interested a year later.

I don't even disagree with him strongly I'm just sick of Colon ever since that penalty against the Giants when he was on the sideline. That guy always has something to say and it seems he's setting up his future career as a talking head.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I'm actually starting to think this is exactly the direction the team will go.  As Cimini pointed out in an article today, next year the Jets will have tons of money again, a few comp picks, and maybe some Mo picks.

Would be good to know if Petty can play, or if they have to go all in on a QB

I dunno about geno... i never liked his attitude... and i feel that was one of his biggest problems - that and he of course wasn't properly groomed as a qb... but if it's a last ditch effort then **** it... id rather see em sign rg3 or draft a qb in 1st though... i have very little faith in geno at this point

2 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Sure, I agree, give geno his shot at the end of July so, by the end of August, we'll all know someone else should start week 1.

Yeah, because Fitzpatrick was surely winning that competition right? Even with Fitz having the advantage of knowing the coach AND the scheme Geno looked noticeably better than Fitz while going most of training camp without even throwing an INT, while Fitz was showing lack of arm strength along with inconsistency and Petty was throwing pick 6's. I think we all remember that up to the moment when Geno got his jaw broke he was not in any position whatsoever to lose that starting position to Fitzpatrick or Petty. He was the clear cut winner. 

The guy who won 10 games this past year with the most talented Jets team I've personally ever seen, with the easiest schedule I've ever seen the Jets have, and who some would agree we pay 15-18 million dollars per year to...Geno was wiping the floor with last summer.

We dont have to like him, but it really cant be this hard to give the guy some credit. Dude has a year under his belt in this system, didnt have the weight of the team on his shoulders and all he had to do all this time was to just work on this craft with the support of an offensive coordinator known for his QB work and a no-nonsense HC. I wouldnt be surprised if Geno Smith ends up being the real reason why Macc isnt budging with Fitz as well as not overly pursuing trade options. 

Just sayin, we were all very happy with what we heard about Geno's progress last offseason. Lets not pretend like that didnt happen just because he got punched in the face and he's an easy target at the moment. 

That'll be great and then after the season is over, and we're all trying to figure who is worthy of a top 3 pick in the 2017 draft then you guys can tell me all about how fun it was to watch the 2016 Jets because there's no WAY I'm putting myself through watching one more season of that level of New York Jets QB play

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:
3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This surely didnt happen last summer when it was reported day after day that Geno looked noticeably better than Fitz while going most of training camp without even throwing an INT, while Fitz was showing lack of arm strength along with inconsistency and Petty was throwing pick 6's. 

I think we all remember that up to the moment when he got his jaw broke he was not in any position whatsoever to lose that starting position to Fitzpatrick or Petty. 

The guy who won 10 games this year with the most talented Jets team I've personally ever seen, with the easiest schedule I've ever seen the Jets have and who some would agree we pay 15-18 million dollars per year to...Geno was wiping the floor with last summer.

We dont have to like him, but it really cant be this hard to give the guy some credit. Dude has a year under his belt in this system, didnt have the weight of the team on his shoulders and all he had to do all this time was to just work on this craft with the support of an offensive coordinator known for his QB work and a no-nonsense HC. I wouldnt be surprised if Geno Smith ends up being the real reason why Macc isnt budging with Fitz as well as not overly pursuing trade options. 

Just sayin, we were all very happy with what we heard about Geno's progress last offseason. Lets not pretend like that didnt happen just because he got punched in the face and he an easy target at the moment. 

anything is possible - i think you can agree we'd feel more safe with building on what we did last season or grabbing another talent on the cheap or getting someone in draft. 

14 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

anything is possible - i think you can agree we'd feel more safe with building on what we did last season or grabbing another talent on the cheap or getting someone in draft. 

I would feel safe following Macc's decisions. Granted, I want Glennon, but that the same time Macc has made some sound decisions. He got us a #2 QB last year that we was able to win 10 games with when Geno went down. He got Marshall for a 5th round pick. (just ridiculous). Won Exec of the year for his work at that. 

I say in terms of building I feel that the Jets are in a good spot with Macc calling the shots. If he feels like Geno is good enough to rise to the occasion the I'd like to see it. At the end of the day I just want a capable quarterback. I dont care who that man is for as long as he gets the job done. 

On 3/18/2016 at 0:21 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree. Everyone knew he was going to be the starter next year if he resigned, regardless of what Bowles said. How couldn't they?

100%.  This is grasping at straws at its finest. I'm not sold on macagnan but Bowles gets a pass for at least two more seasons at minimum.  If Fitz comes back he'll be the starter. No kidding. Otherwise you don't bring him back do you?  A nonsense article drawing negative  conclusions from a benign and obvious statement. Silly. 

Archived