Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

17 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

This problem that all of you PERCEIVE our owner is, is nothing more than PERCEPTION. It's all in your heads. You have NOTHING to prove what you feel he's doing to the ongoing negotiations with Fitz. NOTHING. Personally, I'm quite happy he came out and said what he said. It basically confirms what I thought all along. Fitz is a very intelligent guy and Woody believes he's also quite engaging. When he's in the huddle, he's just one of the guys. I think that is highly complimentary of Fitz, but Fitz KNOWS just like Woody KNOWS that business is business and way too often you overly emotional fans confuse the two. Stop being dingbats about something that is much to do with nothing.

LOL

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, j4jets said:

And thats the part I disagree with. He's the owner and he has the right to give his own opinion. That doesn't necessarily mean he's willing to pay Fitz $18mil. And yes, the owners have to spend a certain amount of money, but that doesn't mean Jets would pay anyone, any amount.

Everyone has a "right to give his own opinion," whether he's the team owner or just a casual fan, so that is a pointless reason. I have the right to give my opinion. So do you. Here's the thing: I don't care what his opinion is, I don't know any fan who values his opinion, and all he can do is do harm.

Your point is contradictory. If the argument is that he writes the checks, the inferred argument is that he wants to get the best value for spending more. My contention is that he has to spend because of a requirement not because of a willingness (or reluctance) to invest such and such amount. 

So since they all have to spend the same, the only distinguishing factor is on whom to spend it. In that case, the only opinion I'm interested in is that of his GM (followed by his HC, then other coaches/scouts). I'm more interested in fans' opinions than I'm interested in his.

He should at least have the good sense to wait until this plays out.  Surely he can see there is an ongoing negotiation. Where did he get the idea that his commenting on the situation in the press will aid in any way? The upside of such comments is that they will have no effect. 

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Read the article or watch the video. He's placating whoever the reporter is, and towing the company line: "we'd like him back, but at our price, we have guys that can step in... not desperate".

Read the article?  Watch the interview in question?  Now why would we do that?  It's far easier and way more fun to complain about an issue that doesn't actually exist.

Woody Johnson wants Ryan Fitzpatrick back as Jets' QB

Video Link:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15035867

Dick Semen-iESPN Staff Writer

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, commenting for the first time on the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract stalemate, delivered a clear message Monday to his unsigned quarterback.

"Come back to the Jets," Johnson said at the NFL owners meetings, sounding almost like a college recruiter.

Team officials have showered Fitzpatrick with praise in recent weeks, but the two sides remain far apart on a new contract. The Jets are offering about $7 million per year, sources said, while Fitzpatrick is thought to be seeking twice that amount.

Johnson said he is optimistic a deal can be reached.

"I kind of hope so because he had such a good year last year," he said of Fitzpatrick, who set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes last season. "I mean, it seems like an ideal [situation].

"I like him a lot as a person," Johnson continued. "He's very engaging. He's great with kids, great with our fans, great with our players. They really respect him. He's two guys. He's the Harvard guy and then he's the normal guy.:blink: They all make fun of him for being a Harvard guy, but he's a normal guy, too."

Johnson said he's not surprised negotiations have lasted this long, adding that it's part of the free-agency process. He said there's no sense of urgency, hinting that Fitzpatrick could afford to miss the offseason program because he has such a grasp of Chan Gailey's offense.

Ideally, the Jets don't want the standoff to last that long. At some point, their fallback options could sign elsewhere.

Robert Griffin III, who visited the Jets last week, also has drawn interest from the quarterback-needy Cleveland Browns. Johnson said the Jets were "very impressed" with RG III as a person, although it doesn't appear that the Jets have strong interest in the former Redskins quarterback.

The in-house options are former starter Geno Smith and the inexperienced Bryce Petty. General manager Mike Maccagnan said Smith is a "definite possibility" as a replacement.

Johnson declined to discuss the Jets' contingency plan, suggesting they won't act out of desperation if Fitzpatrick leaves. He noted that not every championship team needs an elite quarterback, mentioning the Denver Broncos, whose strong defense allowed them to overcome a diminished Peyton Manning.

"How did they win last year? A good D, baby," Johnson said. "How 'bout that Von Miller? How'd you like a guy like that? There's only one Von Miller."

The Jets' search for a franchise quarterback has lasted for decades. Johnson lamented the failures of his previous scouting department.

"We could've drafted Russell Wilson in the second round [in 2012]," he said. "We've had shots at players, but we didn't take those. Hopefully, we're getting better at evaluating talent, particularly at quarterback."

Jets owner Woody Johnson laments not drafting Russell Wilson

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0321%2Fr65726_12

Dicky Chiitmini
ESPN Staff Writer

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- New York Jets owner Woody Johnson chooses his words carefully, rarely making bold and controversial remarks. In other words, he's no Jerry Jones. He never speaks out of frustration because, as he likes to say, he never gets frustrated.

On Monday, we saw some real emotion. Johnson lamented the franchise's draft misses, one in particular.

As he stood in the cavernous and ornate meeting room at the Boca Raton Resort & Club, a relaxed Johnson discussed the current quarterback situation -- Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract stalemate -- and what what might have been. Johnson is preparing for his 17th season as the owner, and he's still looking for that elusive franchise quarterback.

"We've had shots at them over the years before I got in, even when I got in," Johnson told a handful of reporters. "We could've drafted Russell Wilson in the second round. ... Great player (Instead we traded up & took Stephen Hill). We’ve had shots at players, but we didn't take those. Hopefully, we’re getting better at evaluating talent, particularly at quarterback."

Johnson was referring to the infamous 2012 draft, when the Jets whiffed on everybody, not just Wilson. They made eight picks that year, none of which remain on the roster. Just brutal.

"Probably not our best effort," Johnson said in a rather stinging indictment of the old scouting department.

That was two regimes ago, when Mike Tannenbaum was the general manager and Terry Bradway was the personnel guru. And, yes, the Jets could've drafted Wilson in the second round, but they chose wide receiver Stephen Hill (a bust) with the 43rd overall pick. Wilson lasted until the third round, 75th, two spots before they selected linebacker Demario Davis.

Bradway lobbied hard for Wilson, but the Jets already had set their path at quarterback. A month before the draft, they signed Mark Sanchez to a contract extension and traded for Tim Tebow -- two moves that contributed to Tannenbaum's demise.

Johnson became the owner in 2000. His starting quarterbacks: Vinny Testaverde. Chad Pennington. Brett Favre. Sanchez. Geno Smith. Fitzpatrick. There have been flashes of excellence, but no consistency at the most important position.

The fan base feels the pain. So, too, does Johnson.

Jets' owner 'amazed' by length of Muhammad Wilkerson talks

DickHard Semen-i
ESPN Staff Writer

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Muhammad Wilkerson and the New York Jets have been talking about a new contract since 2014. Surprised it's taking so long? Join the club. Woody Johnson is, too.

"It's amazing, since we've been negotiating with him for a few years now," the Jets' owner told a handful of reporters Monday at the NFL owners meetings at the Boca Raton Resort and Club.

Wilkerson's camp might take issue with the word "negotiating," considering there haven't been serious talks in quite some time. The Jets used the franchise tag on their Pro Bowl defensive end, meaning they have until July 15 to hammer out a long-term deal. If not, he'll play for his franchise tender in 2016 -- $15.7 million.

There's always a chance, albeit remote, of a trade. Johnson sounded like he's in favor of a long-term commitment, but he stopped short of spelling out the team's strategy.

"He's been franchised, so as far as I'm concerned, he's on the team right now," Johnson said. "He's on it. He's a great player. Love to have him. He had a great year last year -- 12 sacks. That little break he's recovering from, from what I've been told, he's recovering well from (his broken leg). So, yeah, if he's in, I'm not going to be disappointed at all.

"With any player, there has to be a moment where their side and our side are happy, and we feel like we're getting what we want in terms that are acceptable or semi-acceptable to us -- and the same for him. We just haven't been able to do that."

Asked if they've made Wilkerson a fair offer, Johnson said: "I'm not going to characterize the offer. If we made him a fair offer, he didn't accept it. 'Fair' is a subjective thing. It's got to be acceptable to him and us. When we work that out, it'll all be good."

7 hours ago, fltflo said:

It's going to be a long miserable season. One that will be wasted, by not upgrading that most critical position on the field.

upgrading ? What exactly are we upgrading with that will do better than Fitz did last year ?

As I said after last season Fitz will be the Jets QB in the 10-12 million range. With more weapons in place I fully expect Fitz to play just as good as he did last year and probably even better. Its not like he was getting lucky last year the guy has a good solid grasp of what Gailey wants to do and he's not afraid to take chances and go deep and the good thing is he does it in the right situation. He rarely if ever turns the ball over at his end of the field and he's extremely solid in the Red Zone and he knows where to put the ball so his receivers can make plays on the ball. Sanchez and Geno did not have these traits nor were they capable of stepping up into the pocket and get rid of the ball quickly. This is the first time we have seen real QB play for about 10 years and all we can do is come up with negative sh*t. If Geno Smith is the QB this season I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to stomach that idiot behind Center, he's a terrible QB and makes dumb decision after dumb decision. This organization wants to win now and the only QB attached to this team CURRENTLY is Fitpatrick if he does not bring us there its not the end of the world but it certainly wont be all his fault teams win SB's not QB's .

Some people need to wash the sand out of their cl!t.

Woody basically said the exact same thing that Mac said in his conference call with the press a few days ago. 

I know it's fun to bash the owner, and there have been plenty of incidents in the past where he deserved harsh criticism, but I have no problem with anything he said in this interview. 

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

I don't think many people here are saying geno is the answer by any means, but may feel the team is better off with geno/petty plus a draft pick or cheap vet for depth and using the Fitzpatrick money on filling the number of holes this team has. 

I could even agree with this. I also dont personally think that Geno is the answer, we all know who I prefer, but I also understand the situation Geno was in those first two years. I also remember hearing how well he was doing in the offense with new coaching around him. So I give the kid the benefit of the doubt because I know that its about more than just the QB. 

I think that we've been so far removed from the time where teams tried to develop QB's that we pretty much expect these guys to come in being above average to elite. You dont have situations like a Ryan Nassib anymore. This is why I like that Petty for the most part will not touch a football field in a real game situation for years to come. A good example is Kirk Cousins. Though I still dont trust Cousins, he had a great season statistically, especially through the last 2 months of the season...he just went OFF. Kirk wouldnt have done that his rookie season. More importantly, he wouldnt have had a great second half of the season if Desean Jackson didnt come back. 

Kirk Cousins first 8 games he went 3-5 with a 10TD/9INT ratio without Jackson in the lineup. 

The last 8 games he went 6-2 with a 19TD/2INT ratio with Jackson in the lineup and the Redskins actually made the playoffs. 

Perfect example of how a QB could fair with or without playmakers around him. Geno would benefit from having guys who could bail him out at times. He could benefit from having a RB in the backfield without the defense being tipped off on whether its a run or a pass just based on who's in the backfield. There's alot that comes into account. 

Interesting how many of the fans who want no part of Geno, have use the argument that his team mates wanted nothing to do with him. Now one of the veteran leaders voiced support for him and suddenly he is a loud mouth, a leaker, a trouble maker.

To pay Fitz what he is asking for, when everyone from within the organization and the fans themselves know he is not the answer is not prudent. Face it folks the Jets wish to move on from Fritz as early as next year.

If he continues to play hardball with the Jets, Mac needs to stick to his guns and stay the course and let him move on if necessary.

Now I certainly don't advocate just giving Geno the starters role , he has to earn it back. There should be no more give me's, best player plays, bottom line.

Yet, if they do work out something with Fitz, I don't think he should be handed the starters spot either. If Geno beats him out in camp then he should go back to his backup role.

Can you imagine Geno out playing Fitz thru the offseason program and camp and then having to sit because Fitz was declared the starter who is being paid starters money.

Not saying this will happen, yet, from all the reports from camp last year Geno was outplaying Fitz. So were the Jets just blowing smoke up our rears or was this the actual facts.

An if this was the facts do you want the best guy under center or just a guy you like.

7 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Interesting how many of the fans who want no part of Geno, have use the argument that his team mates wanted nothing to do with him. Now one of the veteran leaders voiced support for him and suddenly he is a loud mouth, a leaker, a trouble maker.

To pay Fitz what he is asking for, when everyone from within the organization and the fans themselves know he is not the answer is not prudent. Face it folks the Jets wish to move on from Fritz as early as next year.

If he continues to play hardball with the Jets, Mac needs to stick to his guns and stay the course and let him move on if necessary.

Now I certainly don't advocate just giving Geno the starters role , he has to earn it back. There should be no more give me's, best player plays, bottom line.

Yet, if they do work out something with Fitz, I don't think he should be handed the starters spot either. If Geno beats him out in camp then he should go back to his backup role.

Can you imagine Geno out playing Fitz thru the offseason program and camp and then having to sit because Fitz was declared the starter who is being paid starters money.

Not saying this will happen, yet, from all the reports from camp last year Geno was outplaying Fitz. So were the Jets just blowing smoke up our rears or was this the actual facts.

An if this was the facts do you want the best guy under center or just a guy you like.

No.

14 hours ago, Savage69 said:

That's a fair analysts JN coming off the bench cold is always a rough go with no prep.. The only thing Geno did that drove me nuts was not throwing the ball away at times when he should have. Plus the Jet defense that day was none existent.. 

Totally agree, he had those two plays.  But wouldn't sitting all season, not being as prepared as the starting QB, missing preseason etc lead to moments of indecision?  

Thing is no one seems to remember after the first time he ran out of bounds for the loss, Geno got the first down on the following play, no one seems to care about that.  The other second play he should have dumped the ball to prevent getting hit.  He made positive yards on the play.

It was also at a time where Fitz wasnt playing very Fitz like football.  Fitz wasnt the 5 game winning streak Fitzy at that time, he was sucking it up too.  Was Geno Brady? No.  But he wasnt what some have tried to make him out to be that day.  He didnt set the offense back, he played up the way they had been playing at that time.  Cold.  That Geno could have won games for the Jets, even if that was as good as he played.  But all people post is that he sucked.  

47 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I could even agree with this. I also dont personally think that Geno is the answer, we all know who I prefer, but I also understand the situation Geno was in those first two years. I also remember hearing how well he was doing in the offense with new coaching around him. So I give the kid the benefit of the doubt because I know that its about more than just the QB. 

I think that we've been so far removed from the time where teams tried to develop QB's that we pretty much expect these guys to come in being above average to elite. You dont have situations like a Ryan Nassib anymore. This is why I like that Petty for the most part will not touch a football field in a real game situation for years to come. A good example is Kirk Cousins. Though I still dont trust Cousins, he had a great season statistically, especially through the last 2 months of the season...he just went OFF. Kirk wouldnt have done that his rookie season. More importantly, he wouldnt have had a great second half of the season if Desean Jackson didnt come back. 

Kirk Cousins first 8 games he went 3-5 with a 10TD/9INT ratio without Jackson in the lineup. 

The last 8 games he went 6-2 with a 19TD/2INT ratio with Jackson in the lineup and the Redskins actually made the playoffs. 

Perfect example of how a QB could fair with or without playmakers around him. Geno would benefit from having guys who could bail him out at times. He could benefit from having a RB in the backfield without the defense being tipped off on whether its a run or a pass just based on who's in the backfield. There's alot that comes into account. 

Last year in camp, I was fine with giving Geno a chance with a more talented supporting cast. I was all for trying to salvage him.

But the IK incident just ended it for me. It was the latest of several occasions where Geno was involved in an incident that embarrassed the team and its fans. I want no part of him, and I don't even want to see him in a Jets uniform.

I get the arguments against Fitz. Personally I like him, but I don't like him at the price that he wants. If he won't budge on his asking price, then work out a trade for Mike Glennon or AJ Mccarron, and draft another QB to develop along with Petty. F*ck Geno Smith.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Some people need to wash the sand out of their cl!t.

Woody basically said the exact same thing that Mac said in his conference call with the press a few days ago. 

I know it's fun to bash the owner, and there have been plenty of incidents in the past where he deserved harsh criticism, but I have no problem with anything he said in this interview. 

Theres this kind of crazy idea that if youre an owner, actually if youre Woody Johnson, youre not allowed to have an opinion.  Theres an even more insane idea that if asked for his thoughts, opinions or ideas on a subject he automatically becomes a meddling Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder type who is ruining the team with his opinions.  Why because he likes Mo? Would like to see him remain a Jet?  Shocking, what a moron, he wants to keep one of the best players on the team a Jets, if possible.  Friggen idiot

My favorite bit of lunacy is to then call him out for inheriting his money.  As if being rich through birth tells everyone that hes dumb and incapable of having an opinion.

12 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Trust me, this isnt an argument, but this debate will become one sided after this comment of mine.

You want no Fitz? Here you go. 

Geno Smith played like a rookie who shouldnt have been on the field his rookie season. Why was he on the field? Because of an asshat coach who thought it was a great idea to put our starting QB back into a preseason game in order to win the snoopy bowl yet lose our starter for the rest of the season. 

His second year? He played like a guy who was better than what he was his rookie season (Less turnovers, less boneheaded plays...but still boneheaded plays were in his game), however, he also was on a team that was in the middle of a transition, expunging prior bad contracts and sitting on money for the following season. Geno ended up having a barebones team with no elite players around him on the offensive side of the ball along with a coaching staff that has developed 2 players in 6 years that I can think of off the top of my head, and they're both on defense. 

As for the Fitz and "breaking Jets records", seriously?....stop it. Its a passing league my friend. Its been that way for almost 20 years. It's a shame those records were still standing given that Rookies being drafted during this generation of the NFL could have smashed Jets records. So, Fitz broke a bunch of records, the records werent great to begin with. Its not like this franchise has had rich history of QB's. Not to mention that the man had to have the greatest offensive group this team has put together in ATLEAST 20 years, AND had to have the weakest schedule in about the same amount of time. 

Those records were so awesome that Macc decided NOT to resign him. lol  Thats how valuable that statement is. lol. 

Now let me actually listen to myself and move on. Come back when you can deal with the fact that Geno played as well as this team was....which was trash. There was no talent on the offensive side of the ball and the coaching/front office was the absolute worst. 

I love how you will say you don't think Geno is the answer, yet make posts detailing why Geno should start. Way to straddle there bud

10 hours ago, cant wait said:

I don't think many people here are saying geno is the answer by any means, but may feel the team is better off with geno/petty plus a draft pick or cheap vet for depth and using the Fitzpatrick money on filling the number of holes this team has. Let's be honest here, this team isn't good enough and Mac needs to bring in guys who are going to provide solid return on investment and outplay their contracts (like Fitzpatrick did last season). Paying $10M+ a year over multiple years is too much for a QB who's dependent on the pieces around him to produce. Geno is not going to be the guy we're looking for but he's far more likely to outplay his $1.6M number than Fitz is at $10M. Part of the reason Houston could afford to pay osweiler that big contract is that they have their top guys (Hopkins/watt) locked in for below market value and have some flexibility to take a risk at the QB position. The jets unfortunately do not have the same luxury

I know this will end in a private message challenging me to a fight, but I will try to have a normal discussion with you anyway....

Can you give us a proposal for what is going to be done with the money that would go to Fitz if he is not signed, and explain to us how this player or players is going to get us closer to a SB, while playing a guy who HERE, you are saying is not the answer, but other places you have said you think could be the answer? And the Jets are likely not going to 10m for Fitz, so please do this exercise at 8m, and show us how CantWait would GM the fk out of this situation.

7 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Last year in camp, I was fine with giving Geno a chance with a more talented supporting cast. I was all for trying to salvage him.

But the IK incident just ended it for me. It was the latest of several occasions where Geno was involved in an incident that embarrassed the team and its fans. I want no part of him, and I don't even want to see him in a Jets uniform.

I get the arguments against Fitz. Personally I like him, but I don't like him at the price that he wants. If he won't budge on his asking price, then work out a trade for Mike Glennon or AJ Mccarron, and draft another QB to develop along with Petty. F*ck Geno Smith.

I dont get or feel embarrassed by the Jets. Maybe its me, but im just not that close or invested. Guys fight amongst one another, and if anything IK punched a man who wasnt even ready to fight or defend himself. Stuff happens, but you and I both know that if Geno (example) started next season and had a solid year and we made the playoffs all of this stuff that we talk about would be absolutely irrelevant because wins/success cures the issues. That just shows me that these particular issues are being blown out of proportion just a bit. 

I could understand a Browns fans saying what you just said about Johnny Manziel, a guy who showed who he was yet many Jets fans wanted to draft him anyway. Geno Smith is no Johnny Manziel. He may have handled situations incorrectly but Jet fans are typically more sensitive to situations happening while the player is in a green jersey yet more understanding of trying to acquire players when similar or even worse issues are made in another Jersey. Geno had a bad rookie season and a 2nd year that was undermined by the the organization itself, he lost track of time (allegedly) while on the west coast, sent a penis pic to a girl who decided to share it publically because she's an attention seeker, got punched in the face by a guy who makes 6 figures a year but was willing to put his career and financial future on the line for $600 (This incident makes IK look bad by the way)...and because of this fans feel embarrassed. 

Like I said, I dont think that Geno is the answer, I just think that Geno is more capable than we've seen just off of the fact that for the most part he had nothing around him respectable....most importantly from a coaching standpoint. So no, im not surprised that Geno looked so well in training camp the moment he got around a coach in Chan Gailey. And not being able to forgive people for mistakes, as insignificant as forgetting the time or being overly unforgiving for him learning the ropes of what it is to be on such a platform, just shows how petty this fanbases could be. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont get or feel embarrassed by the Jets. Maybe its me, but im just not that close or invested. Guys fight amongst one another, and if anything IK punched a man who wasnt even ready to fight or defend himself. Stuff happens, but you and I both know that if Geno (example) started next season and had a solid year and we made the playoffs all of this stuff that we talk about would be absolutely irrelevant because wins/success cures the issues. That just shows me that these particular issues are being blown out of proportion just a bit. 

I could understand a Browns fans saying what you just said about Johnny Manziel, a guy who showed who he was yet many Jets fans wanted to draft him anyway. Geno Smith is no Johnny Manziel. He may have handled situations incorrectly but Jet fans are typically more sensitive to situations happening while the player is in a green jersey yet more understanding of trying to acquire players when similar or even worse issues are made in another Jersey. Geno had a bad rookie season and a 2nd year that was undermined by the the organization itself, he lost track of time (allegedly) while on the west coast, sent a penis pic to a girl who decided to share it publically because she's an attention seeker, got punched in the face by a guy who makes 6 figures a year but was willing to put his career and financial future on the line for $600 (This incident makes IK look bad by the way)...and because of this fans feel embarrassed. 

Like I said, I dont think that Geno is the answer, I just think that Geno is more capable than we've seen just off of the fact that for the most part he had nothing around him respectable....most importantly from a coaching standpoint. So no, im not surprised that Geno looked so well in training camp the moment he got around a coach in Chan Gailey. And not being able to forgive people for mistakes, as insignificant as forgetting the time or being overly unforgiving for him learning the ropes of what it is to be on such a platform, just shows how petty this fanbases could be. 

I could care less about the embarrassment, but they do make me believe he is a less talented Jay Cutler, who is a complete and utter waste of 10 years for your team if you get him, which is far worse than a few years of Ryan Fitzpatrick who you unequivocally know is not the answer and you are constantly looking for THE answer.

NFL is not Madden, and all that stuff matters.

And if you don't think Geno is the answer why waste any time on him at all? What are you going to do with the $6mil or so you will save by not signing Fitzpatrick and starting Geno?

22 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I love how you will say you don't think Geno is the answer, yet make posts detailing why Geno should start. Way to straddle there bud

I never once said that Geno Smith should start, I've said for atleast a year that Mike Glennon should be starting. I said that the Geno hate is ridiculous. 

I love how you put words in my mouth. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I never once said that Geno Smith should start. I said that the Geno hate is ridiculous. 

I love how you put words in my mouth. 

Trust me, I am not putting anything in your mouth brah, but if we don't sign Fitzpatrick, who the hell do you think is going to start?

Jets say they want FitzMagic, but talk is just smoke and mirrors

-- The New York Jets haven't been bashful about expressing their affinity for Ryan Fitzpatrick. The latest Ode to Fitz came from owner Woody Johnson, who sounded Monday like he wanted to nominate the quarterback for Man of the Year.

His teammates love him, Johnson said. The fans love him. Even kids love him.

No doubt, Fitzpatrick appreciates the love, but the words ring hollow unless they're accompanied by cold, hard cash.Do the Jets really expect him to play for $7 million-plus per year? That's an insulting offer, and they're pushing him away with each day it sits on the table.Fitzpatrick played the best football of his career last season, and he walked into a free-agent market in which Brock (Seven Starts) Osweiler landed $18 million a year year and Sam (Knees) Bradford pulled down $17.5 million.The Jets shouldn't have to pay for other teams' extravagance by throwing crazy money at Fitzpatrick, but he's certainly worth more than $7 million and change.

Evidently, it's his best offer, perhaps his only offer. Maybe the Jets can feel good about their handle on the quarterback market, but that doesn't make it the rightoffer.Rhetoric notwithstanding, they're underestimating Fitzpatrick's value to the team. He might not be worth $15 million -- believed to be his asking price -- but there has to be a middle ground. He did a terrific job last season, and they should appreciate his intangibles. At 33, he's not the quarterback of the future, but the future in the NFL is next season. Without him, they would take a step back.They're taking a calculated risk by leaving him out on the market, and the risk increases if another team -- the Denver Broncos, perhaps -- suddenly decides it wants to buy some FitzMagic. It would be wrong to assume he will return to the Jets if all things are equal.

The effusive praise is just posturing, the Jets' way of telling the fan base they're trying hard to bring him back. In this case, talk really is cheap.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59175/jets-say-they-want-fitzmagic-but-talk-is-just-smoke-and-mirrors

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I think you know what I am asking, its not really rocket science here..... 

Obviously I do. You asked "if Fitz isnt the starter then who would start"? FItz at this time isnt even a Jet, Geno is the only option on the roster to be a starter and Petty is obviously not ready given statements coming directly from the Jets themselves. 

They could possibly draft, they could trade, they could sign a FA.....I dont know who could start. I know that there will most likely be a competition though. I know that I personally want Glennon, but Glennon isnt a Jet so why would I mention him? 

It may not be rocket science, but the answer to the question is obviously a mystery at this point. 

32 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If Geno had made one or two silly mistakes, sure you chalk it up as a young guy doing something stupid and hopefully learning from it.  But the IK situation was the final straw. Sure IK was completely wrong and stupid for punching Geno. But I highly doubt he threw the punch just because Geno wouldn't pay him back. Geno must have gotten in his face, or made some really disparaging comment to push the guy to the point where he'd throw a punch.  That doesn't justify IK's actions, but I can see where Geno pushed his buttons and his anger boiled over. A QB is supposed to command the respect of his locker room. Missing meetings and being a jerkoff to your teammates isn't going to do that. And that behavior is precisely why he dropped in the draft.

Now, if it ends up that he is our starter next year, I'll want him to be successful. But do I want it to get to that point? No friggin' way. 

Archived