Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Obviously I do. You asked "if Fitz isnt the starter then who would start"? FItz at this time isnt even a Jet, Geno is the only option on the roster to be a starter and Petty is obviously not ready given statements coming directly from the Jets themselves. 

They could possibly draft, they could trade, they could sign a FA.....I dont know who could start. I know that there will most likely be a competition though. I know that I personally want Glennon, but Glennon isnt a Jet so why would I mention him? 

It may not be rocket science, but the answer to the question is obviously a mystery at this point. 

Your dancing around the issue, I want Glennon too, and wanted him in the draft and not waste a pick on Geno, but the odds of them getting Glennon are very, very slim.

We are looking at Geno, Petty and maybe a Hoyer type. If they don't re-sign Fitz, its going to be Geno unless the entire organization has completely lost any faith in Geno at all, again, its not rocket science.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

If Geno had made one or two mistakes, sure you chalk it up as a young guy doing something stupid and hopefully learning from it.  But the IK situation was the final straw. Sure IK was completely wrong and stupid for punching Geno. But I highly doubt he threw the punch just because Geno wouldn't pay him back. Geno must have gotten in his face, or made some really disparaging comment to push the guy to the point where he'd throw a punch.  That doesn't justify IK's actions, but I can see where Geno pushed his buttons and his anger boiled over. A QB is supposed to command the respect of his locker room. Missing meetings and being a jerkoff to your teammates isn't going to do that. And that behavior is precisely why he dropped in the draft.

Now, if it ends up that he is our starter next year, I'll want him to be successful. But do I want it to get to that point? No friggin' way. 

You dont know what transpired, I dont know what transpired. This is called "assumption". Also, I doubt that Geno Smith was the only player in the NFL this year to get punched in the face by a fellow teammate. I remember Golden Tate being punched in the face and receiving a black eye during Superbowl week. 

Men command respect in the lockerroom, but that has to be learned when you're a 20 year old rookie and you're sharing a locker room with a bunch of vets and alpha males. 

Why is this so serious? 30 years ago before the internet and twitter fans didnt even care about stuff like this. Fans have become too close and too concerned about irrelevant stuff. THAT'S the problem. 

I'll stick with football. 

Who will start, that is an excellent question, the big problem is many fans may not like the answer.

The only way you answer this question is thru competition.

As the poster has said, the Winner starts. That includes Fitz if he is here, for to not allow Geno, if he is here, to compete and win the job back, you might as well throw the whole competition idea out the window.

An like it of not, we all know Geno is more physically gifted then Fitz. So if Chan has done his job and Geno has grown the hell up and learned his lessons on what it takes to be a starter on this level it's a no brainer.

An make no mistake Geno knows damn well that this is his last shot, so I expect he will not only be hungry, but starving.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The thread headline says Woody makes plea for Fitz. So I'm going with that. :) 

Still doesn't change my opinion. He should not be talking to reporters about the Jets' roster in any way because he cannot be trusted to refrain from saying something he shouldn't. He hired a GM; just be quiet and let that GM do his job. He should at least avoid making his opinion known until after the draft is over. Only thing he should say is "I hired Mike and he has my full confidence so I'd ask you direct your personnel questions to him." Then show off his latest green tie and WKRP hat.

Thread title is inaccurate.

That said, your opinion that he shouldn't be saying anything, is agreeable.

22 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Your dancing around the issue, I want Glennon too, and wanted him in the draft and not waste a pick on Geno, but the odds of them getting Glennon are very, very slim.

We are looking at Geno, Petty and maybe a Hoyer type. If they don't re-sign Fitz, its going to be Geno unless the entire organization has completely lost any faith in Geno at all, again, its not rocket science.

If that response is considered "dancing" then their is nothing for me to say on this topic. You asked if Fitz isnt the starter than "who", my answer was the winner of the competition. 

Sorry for dancing. 

8 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Who will start, that is an excellent question, the big problem is many fans may not like the answer.

The only way you answer this question is thru competition.

As the poster has said, the Winner starts. That includes Fitz if he is here, for to not allow Geno, if he is here, to compete and win the job back, you might as well throw the whole competition idea out the window.

An like it of not, we all know Geno is more physically gifted then Fitz. So if Chan has done his job and Geno has grown the hell up and learned his lessons on what it takes to be a starter on this level it's a no brainer.

An make no mistake Geno knows damn well that this is his last shot, so I expect he will not only be hungry, but starving.

if Fitz is back I think Geno is gone BUt if both are here Fitz deserves the job w/o competition.  he earned that based on last year.

Just now, nyjunc said:

if Fitz is back I think Geno is gone BUt if both are here Fitz deserves the job w/o competition.  he earned that based on last year.

Im not too sure on that. Fitz has a history of getting injured either in a game and not completing it or missing weeks of a season. If Fitz comes back adn they release Geno it better be for a QB who'd better. Furthermore, if they do get a QB better than Geno for a good price then what was the point of bringing in Fitz? Geno imo should be on this team. He's done nothing worth cutting him for. He's not breaking the bank, he's currently in his 2nd year in the system and he could actually push for the starting position (He was winning last year). 

You wanna know why the Jets haven’t signed Ryan Fitzpatrick yet  ?

Blame that franchise on the other coast and their attempted/unattempted effort to trade their “franchise” quarterback.In case you haven’t been following the whereabouts of a franchise completely and totally unattached from the Jets, the 49ers and their quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, are in the midst of an ugly divorce that no one really wants to admit to.It’s clear the 49ers want to move on from Kaepernick, and are actively trying to trade him… they just won’t admit it in the public. Kaepernick clearly wants out of the Bay Area… he just hasn’t come out and said it yet.The result is a very privately-public trade process that has spanned the better part of two weeks. The deal was reportedly nearly done the first couple of days of free agency, but then things have fallen through with the 49ers not getting the compensation they want from their main trade partner, the Denver Broncos.

So, how’s that impact the Jets ?

The Broncos and the 49ers are right now the only two potential suitors outside of the Jets that could potentially be interested in Ryan Fitzpatrick.

What’s the issue ?

Until Kaepernick is either traded to the Broncos, or does (magically) stay with the 49ers… Fitzpatrick is stuck in purgatory.As things stand right now, Fitzpatrick is looking for starting quarterback money, and hoping to find that somewhere on the open market. Essentially, after being declared as such by Jets coach Todd Bowles, Fitzpatrick would like to be compensated with a deal that pays him anywhere from $15-$18 million annually each season.The Jets, knowing no one else on the open market is willing to pay that, have offered an initial contract of reportedly $8 million.Fitzpatrick has scoffed at that offer, and the Jets in turn have let him hit the open market.

Here’s the thing though– until that Kaepernick situation is ironed out, Fitzpatrick isn’t going to know his true value.

The Broncos have expressed interest and made contact to Fitzpatrick’s representatives as a “backup” plan incase they do not acquire Kaepernick. The key words their being “incase they do not acquire Kaepernick.” The Broncos aren’t going to truly pursue New York’s bearded signal caller until they know their primary/most desired target isn’t an option in the first place.The Broncos have the allocated funds to pay a quarterback $14 million a year… that was the offer on the table for Brock Osweilerbefore he bolted to Houston. They could, theoretically, give that same contract for two, maybe three years to Fitzpatrick.Fitzpatrick, at this stage of his career, is a more talented passer thanPeyton Manning was a year ago… and that Manning won a Super Bowl behind Denver’s historically-great defense.

But, again.. Denver wants Kaepernick, and aren’t going to go after Fitzpatrick until that isn’t an option anymore.

So, outside of Denver, who else is an option for Fitz? That’s the team Kaepernick presently plays for… the 49ers.As is reported to be the case right now, San Francisco would either like to trade Kaepernick and draft a quarterback early, or keep Kaepernick and have him battle it out with Blaine Gabbert in campfor the starting job.If the latter situation comes to fruition that involves Kaepernick being shipped, and a quarterback being drafted, the team could very well be in the market for a veteran, short-term answer signal caller to help groom said rookie until he’s ready to play.And that’s where Fitzpatrick could, potentially, come in.As this stand right now, the 49ers have roughly $60 million (still) insalary cap space.  That’s plenty to drop $15 million on a quarterback on a short-term, two-year deal.

But, again, all of this is pending Kapernick.

If Kaepernick is traded to the Broncos, that potentially opens the door for Fitzpatrick to San Francisco. If Kaepernick stays with the 49ers, that suddenly increases Denver’s interest in Fitzpatrick.The end result here? It’s a wait-and-see game, because Fitzpatrick won’t know his true worth until Kaepernick knows where he’ll be playing next year.And thus, the Jets are stuck waiting and watching, too, hoping this one plays out in their favor.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/21/49ers-colin-kaepernick-chip-kelly-ryan-fitzpatrick-contract-holdout-geno-smith-jets-need-quarterback/

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not too sure on that. Fitz has a history of getting injured either in a game and not completing it or missing weeks of a season. If Fitz comes back adn they release Geno it better be for a QB who'd better. Furthermore, if they do get a QB better than Geno for a good price then what was the point of bringing in Fitz? Geno imo should be on this team. He's done nothing worth cutting him for. He's not breaking the bank, he's currently in his 2nd year in the system and he could actually push for the starting position (He was winning last year). 

Fitz will likely get hurt and the backup will get to play but going into the season Fitz is the clear cut #1.  there won't be a competition.

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Telling a QB that just had 4000 31-15 that he has to compete for a job is a good way to piss off players and make them not want to sign with your team.    That's why it never happens. 

Yes Geno has done something worth being cut over, HE SUCKED AT HIS JOB!!!    I swear to God some people did not watch any of the 13 or 14 seasons.

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

I know this will end in a private message challenging me to a fight, but I will try to have a normal discussion with you anyway....

Can you give us a proposal for what is going to be done with the money that would go to Fitz if he is not signed, and explain to us how this player or players is going to get us closer to a SB, while playing a guy who HERE, you are saying is not the answer, but other places you have said you think could be the answer? And the Jets are likely not going to 10m for Fitz, so please do this exercise at 8m, and show us how CantWait would GM the fk out of this situation.

Once more, in English please

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Fitz will likely get hurt and the backup will get to play but going into the season Fitz is the clear cut #1.  there won't be a competition.

You have a point there. If they bring Fitz back he'll be getting somewhere between 7-10 million. It will be with the intention to start him. 

29 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Telling a QB that just had 4000 31-15 that he has to compete for a job is a good way to piss off players and make them not want to sign with your team.    That's why it never happens. 

Yes Geno has done something worth being cut over, HE SUCKED AT HIS JOB!!!    I swear to God some people did not watch any of the 13 or 14 seasons.

Fitz sucked at his job for 90% of his career yet we're touting numbers with him now. 

I will say that you, like @nyjunc have a valid point when it comes to resigning Fitz. If we do it wont be with the intention to be a backup. I personally find it hard however to start a guy if Geno again has a much better training camp and actually displays it during the preseason. Im not saying that it will happen. Im saying that just because you sign a guy LIKE Fitz to come in as the starter doesnt mean that you dont sit his ass if he's being out performed....because at the end of the day this is Fitzpatrick. Either he's a bridge player or he isnt. He will not be in the plans for too long. I think that if Geno shows that he's producing better than I couldnt care less about him sucking at his job during prior seasons when the team/organization as a whole sucked and we're also able to look past Fitzpatrick sucky years just because it didnt happen in a Jets jersey. 

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitz sucked at his job for 90% of his career yet we're touting numbers with him now. 

I will say that you, like @nyjunc have a valid point when it comes to resigning Fitz. If we do it wont be with the intention to be a backup. I personally find it hard however to start a guy if Geno again has a much better training camp and actually displays it during the preseason. Im not saying that it will happen. Im saying that just because you sign a guy LIKE Fitz to come in as the starter doesnt mean that you dont sit his ass if he's being out performed....because at the end of the day this is Fitzpatrick. Either he's a bridge player or he isnt. He will not be in the plans for too long. I think that if Geno shows that he's producing better than I couldnt care less about him sucking at his job during prior seasons when the team/organization as a whole sucked and we're also able to look past Fitzpatrick sucky years just because it didnt happen in a Jets jersey. 

I will never understand where this "Geno again has a much better training camp" crap comes from.    He was named the starter while Fitz was recovering from a broken leg and before they had even taken one pre-season game snap.    Your really basing an argument on Geno looking better in shorts and a tee shirt while Fitz was recovering from a broken leg?  Wow, great for Geno, too bad he looks like sh*t when there is a pass rush to worry about. 

Jets owner makes Fitzpatrick pitch amid Russell Wilson regret

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Jets owner Woody Johnson has a simple message for free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick: “Come back to the Jets.”

With the Jets and Fitzpatrick engaged in a contract standoff, Johnson said he is “optimistic” that a deal will get done eventually.

“We’re speaking to Fitzy’s agent, Jimmy [Sexton], and I hope we can come up to an agreement,” Johnson said at the NFL’s league meetings. “Fitzy had his best year in his career with this coordinator, with Chan [Gailey], and did well for the Jets. The two sides have to come up with an agreement that, obviously, both sides are happy with. That’s what we’re working toward.”

The Jets and Fitzpatrick are nowhere close to an agreement because of a difference of opinion on his value. The Jets have offered Fitzpatrick a contract worth around $7 million per year. Fitzpatrick wants something around $16 million per year, what his camp sees as the going rate for starting veteran quarterbacks.

Fitzpatrick threw a franchise-record 31 touchdowns last year and led the Jets to a 10-6 record. It was a rare good season for a Jets quarterback. Johnson lamented some missed chances the Jets have had at landing quarterbacks.

“We could have drafted Russell Wilson in the second round [in 2012],” Johnson said. “We’ve had shots at players, but we didn’t take those. Hopefully, we’re getting better at evaluating talent and picking talent, particularly quarterbacks.”

The Jets drafted wide receiver bust Stephen Hill in the second round instead of Wilson, whom the Seahawks took in the third round.

While Johnson recognizes a franchise quarterback transforms a team, he did say he thinks there are other ways to win the Super Bowl, taking a little shot at Peyton Manning in the process.

“Denver won, how did they win last year? Good D, baby,” Johnson said. “How’s that Von Miller? How would you like to have a guy like that? There’s only one Von Miller.”

Miller is not walking into the Jets’ locker room anytime soon, but Johnson still feels his defense can carry the team.

“I think our defense is going to be very, very good. You have to win where you can win,” he said. “There’s only X number of elite, elite quarterbacks in the league. Everybody recognizes that. We have to do what we have to do.”

That being said, Johnson sounded as if he really wants Fitzpatrick back. The question is how much he will be willing to spend to make it happen.

“I like him a lot as a person,” Johnson said. “He’s very engaging, great with kids, great with our fans, great with our players. They really respect him. He’s two guys. He’s the Harvard guy and then he’s the normal guy. They make fun of the Harvard guy. In the huddle, he’s the normal guy.

“I think we can do it. He was good last year. Whether he can do that again, you never know. Every year is a new year.”

Johnson said it is up to coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan to decide on any deadline for Fitzpatrick. If Fitzpatrick does go elsewhere, the Jets could turn back to Geno Smith, but Johnson did not exactly give him a ringing endorsement.

“The coaching staff and Mike would look at alternatives,” Johnsons aid. “We’ve got some guys on the squad, so if that is the best … putting Geno or Bryce Petty in there, then that’s what we go [with].”

The team visited with free agent Robert Griffin III this month. He also could be an alternative.

“I’m not going to characterize the interest, although I will say the visit was good,” Johnson said. “He’s a very presentable young man from the standpoint of the interview we had for two days. I think they were across the board very impressed with him as a person.”

Title should be: Jets owner says Fitzpatrick is a JAG

9 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I will never understand where this "Geno again has a much better training camp" crap comes from.    He was named the starter while Fitz was recovering from a broken leg and before they had even taken one pre-season game snap.    Your really basing an argument on Geno looking better in shorts and a tee shirt while Fitz was recovering from a broken leg?  Wow, great for Geno, too bad he looks like sh*t when there is a pass rush to worry about. 

No, Geno wasnt named the starter because Fitz was recoving from a broken leg. Geno was named the starter because Fitz was coming in as the back-up, but to compete. Lets make that clear first and foremost. 

And yes, my position is partially based on the fact that Geno looked good in shorts. Its also partially based on the fact that Geno also has weapons on the offensive side of the ball that could contribute, a better offensive coordinator, and a coach (same offensive coordinator) that has a history of doing great work with quarterbacks. 

Geno's first two years was utter crap, not just his performance, but the coaching and the talent. And when Geno and Fitz were both in shorts Geno looked better. Furthermore, when Geno had no preseason, was just back from injury himself, no reps nor chemistry with the 1's he was able to go in at a moments notice and put up numbers that was comparable to a guy in Fitz who HAD an entire preseason, reps and chemistry. 

Why do people ignore that? And I ask the question because this isnt the first time that I've stated this. People either ignore (one extreme) or suddenly say that im "calling for Geno to be the starter over everyone" (another extreme). Im simply presenting the facts. 

We can argue about Geno Smith and the lack of talent around him for two years, and how he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready, but being immature, a poor leader, and not commanding the respect of your team is inexcusable as a QB.  Those things cannot be overlooked and usually cannot be changed.  He is NOT an NFL starting QB. 

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

We can argue about Geno Smith and the lack of talent around him for two years, and how he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready, but being immature, a poor leader, and not commanding the respect of your team is inexcusable as a QB.  Those things cannot be overlooked and usually cannot be changed.  He is NOT an NFL starting QB. 

This isnt a question about maturity. the majority of the league doesnt consist of guys who are mature. This is a moot point. 

This isnt a question about maturity. the majority of the league doesnt consist of guys who are mature. This is a moot point. 

there isn't one successful "immature" QB in the league.  Not one.  QB's are leaders and well respected in the locker room. Geno is neither and never will be.  At least not on the Jets.

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

there isn't one successful "immature" QB in the league.  Not one.  QB's are leaders and well respected in the locker room. Geno is neither and never will be.  At least not on the Jets.

Cam Newton was the MVP of the league this year....same guy who pouted after a SB loss. Same guy who is overly criticized for everything that he does, from dancing & celebrations to the clothes he wears during interviews. He was called immature and a RISK to take in the 1st round the moment he left Auburn. 

That didnt take too long to refute. 

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, Geno wasnt named the starter because Fitz was recoving from a broken leg. Geno was named the starter because Fitz was coming in as the back-up, but to compete. Lets make that clear first and foremost. 

And yes, my position is partially based on the fact that Geno looked good in shorts. Its also partially based on the fact that Geno also has weapons on the offensive side of the ball that could contribute, a better offensive coordinator, and a coach (same offensive coordinator) that has a history of doing great work with quarterbacks. 

Geno's first two years was utter crap, not just his performance, but the coaching and the talent. And when Geno and Fitz were both in shorts Geno looked better. Furthermore, when Geno had no preseason, was just back from injury himself, no reps nor chemistry with the 1's he was able to go in at a moments notice and put up numbers that was comparable to a guy in Fitz who HAD an entire preseason, reps and chemistry. 

Why do people ignore that? And I ask the question because this isnt the first time that I've stated this. People either ignore (one extreme) or suddenly say that im "calling for Geno to be the starter over everyone" (another extreme). Im simply presenting the facts. 

Well in the Raider game Geno ran out of bounds losing yards when he could / should have just thrown the ball away.  He then could / should have run out of bounds but instead took a hit that knocked him out of the game and made Fitz come back in with a broken hand.  Now, I know you know this but you still bring it up.  

The biggest point is the team just looked like the air had been taken out of it when Geno came in the game and that says a lot.  You know as well as anyone that a QB needs to rally the troops and inspire confidence in his teammates so they play harder.  Geno did not nor has he ever done this.

A gap remains between the Jets and quarterbackRyan Fitzpatrick in terms of finding the right price for a contract for the 2016 season, something that doesn’t seem to bother head coach Todd Bowles all that much.Bowles was at the league meetings on Tuesday morning and said, via Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com, that he feels good about the team’s quarterback situation and that the offseason has not reached a point where he “has to know” whether Fitzpatrick will be back with the team for another year. He took a more casual approach to the talks, saying that “everyone hasa right to be stubborn” and that the team would move on to other plans in the event a contract can’t be worked out.

“Not bothered yet. It’s free agency,” Bowles said. “These things happen. We are trying to re-sign Fitzpatrick. If not, we have plans in place going forward.”Geno Smith and Bryce Petty are in-house options and Bowles said the team wouldn’t let off-field distractions keep them from signing Robert Griffin III, who visited the Jets last week, if they determine it is best for the team on the field. There are reasons to think those plans won’t work out, but the Jets have put up a unified front when it comes to letting people know they are willing to institute one of them if Fitzpatrick continues exercising his right to be stubborn about his asking price.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/22/todd-bowles-on-ryan-fitzpatrick-everyone-has-right-to-be-stubborn/

9 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Well in the Raider game Geno ran out of bounds losing yards when he could / should have just thrown the ball away.  He then could / should have run out of bounds but instead took a hit that knocked him out of the game and made Fitz come back in with a broken hand.  Now, I know you know this but you still bring it up.  

The biggest point is the team just looked like the air had been taken out of it when Geno came in the game and that says a lot.  You know as well as anyone that a QB needs to rally the troops and inspire confidence in his teammates so they play harder.  Geno did not nor has he ever done this.

You mean that same Raiders game where Fitzpatrick almost ripped his thumb off his hand because he decided to get 2 more yards instead of just sliding since he had achieved the 1st down 15 yards ago??? 

People bring up Geno's past year's stupidity yet what about the Fitzpatrick stupidity last year when he broke his leg for "again" not sliding????

So again, why are peole nitpicking Geno Smith and this Raiders game yet not saying a word about Fitz and his stupidity in the same game? Fitzpatrick's stupidity was ultimately the worst because it actually got him removed from the game and he required surgery. Not only that but the reason why he even arrived to the Jets with a broke leg is because of his stupidity for not sliding with another organization the season prior.

It's obvious that you guys are dealing with emotions when talking about Geno Smith. Thats the only problem here. 

On 3/19/2016 at 2:27 PM, ljr said:

Completion % & Int rate are likely equally important... But let's say they fall in line as well ... I would say splitting the difference , give or take , around the 12th ranked QB's salary for 2016 , with team leverage to move on in 2017, should be where the reasonable middle ground is found

That would flat idiotic. He is not worth $7M and you want to pay him much more than double as a "middle ground". Insanity, and completely ignoring history. Luckily Mac seems to understand his value. Jets will be better without Fitz anyway.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You mean that same Raiders game where Fitzpatrick almost ripped his thumb off his hand because he decided to get 2 more yards instead of just sliding since he had achieved the 1st down 15 yards ago??? 

People bring up Geno's past year's stupidity yet what about the Fitzpatrick stupidity last year when he broke his leg for "again" not sliding????

So again, why are peole nitpicking Geno Smith and this Raiders game yet not saying a word about Fitz and his stupidity in the same game? Fitzpatrick's stupidity was ultimately the worst because it actually got him removed from the game and he required surgery. Not only that but the reason why he even arrived to the Jets with a broke leg is because of his stupidity for not sliding with another organization the season prior.

It's obvious that you guys are dealing with emotions when talking about Geno Smith. Thats the only problem here. 

And they rushed him back from said surgery so that they wouldn't have to start Geno Smith. Think about that.

Yet they're not rushing to resign him and keep Geno from possibly touching the field again. Think about that. 

Woody, Mac, Bowles, etc. all on record of wanting him back and being the starter so that Geno doesn't see the field, again. We can go at this for hours, but everything points to Geno not being the QB even if Fitz goes elsewhere. Not a chance in hell they can sell season ticket holders on a bad QB in a major market. Most would rather at least see Petty, instead. Geno had to be benched for the corpse of Michael Vick for crying out loud. He didn't even want to play, just cash a paycheck!

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Woody, Mac, Bowles, etc. all on record of wanting him back and being the starter so that Geno doesn't see the field, again. We can go at this for hours, but everything points to Geno not being the QB even if Fitz goes elsewhere. Not a chance in hell they can sell season ticket holders on a bad QB in a major market. Most would rather at least see Petty, instead. Geno had to be benched for the corpse of Michael Vick for crying out loud. He didn't even want to play, just cash a paycheck!

Yet he's not a Jet. I dont care what was said, im looking at the actions. And I didnt say that Geno "was" the guy. Im just pointing out that the hate is based on personal feelings based on stuff that has nothing to do with football. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yet he's not a Jet. I dont care what was said, im looking at the actions. 

Right. Actions. So, Geno Smith being in the final year of his rookie deal should totally be locked up since he is the future starting QB of this team. Wait. They haven't even broached that subject in talks or actions yet? Weird.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Right. Actions. So, Geno Smith being in the final year of his rookie deal should totally be locked up since he is the future starting QB of this team. Wait. They haven't even broached that subject in talks or actions yet? Weird.

Right. Actions. Fitzpatrick broke all kinds of Jets records...yet he's a free agent. Weird. 

New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan uttered some pretty predictable statements last week when addressing the team's negotiations with free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Along with acknowledging that Fitzpatrick is "a very good fit" and that the team's goal "eventually is to get Ryan under contract," Maccagnan also pointed out that free agency is a process. Owner Woody Johnson echoed these sentiments at the NFL Annual Meeting on Monday in Boca Raton, Florida.

"He had a great year last year and we'd like to get Ryan back, of course," Johnson told NFL Media's Judy Battista. "But we've got to -- and it's just part of the process in free agency -- his side and our side and trying to come up with something that both sides are happy with."That's basically another way of saying the Jets don't really value Fitzpatrick in the manner they should. His signing essentially determines this team's potential success for this coming season.

The situation in New York has reached the point where it's time to startassigning blame for Fitzpatrick still being on the open market.

All indications are that something will get done eventually because Fitzpatrick wants to be with the Jets and the franchise wants him to stay. The problem is that Maccagnan doesn't want to overpay for a 33-year-old journeyman quarterback who began last season as a backup. The general manager also apparently believes that it's easy to find quarterbacks who can help him win games.Maccagnan has hinted that he's been willing to increase an offer that reportedly hovers in the annual salary range of $7 million to $8 million. What he's not willing to do is move anywhere near the neighborhood that Fitzpatrick wants to live in, which is about twice that amount. As Maccagnan told reporters on a conference call last week, "We like Ryan -- we'd like to have Ryan back -- but at the end of the day, it's free agency. You go through it. At some point in time, hopefully, we can find a middle ground we're both happy with."Maccagnan eventually will have to move closer to what Fitzpatrick wants. Skeptics can crow all they want about Fitzpatrick not finding any other suitors in free agency, but he just threw more touchdown passes in a season (31) than any other quarterback in Jets history. That counts for something. It means it's time for Fitzpatrick to receive a healthy bump in salary.

It's laughable to think Fitzpatrick is going to be content with a Jets offer that rivals what the Philadelphia Eagles just paid career backup Chase Daniel (three years, $21 million) to compete for ajob. After all, Daniel has started all of two games in seven seasons. The Eagles also just gave Sam Bradford a two-year deal worth $36 million that was based largely on what Bradford did in the second half of 2015 after struggling through the first half. Don't think that Fitzpatrick's representatives don't see that information as a guidepost in these discussions.That isn't to say Fitzpatrick doesn't have his flaws. He's a game manager with a limited arm who can be prone to turnovers in critical stretches. Fitzpatrick's three interceptions in a season-ending loss at Buffalo were a big reason why New York missed the playoffs. That last impression and his age are likely two of the biggest concerns for Maccagnan.Now comes the reality check. The Jets have a phenomenal supporting cast around Fitzpatrick on offense, a group that includes newly signed running back Matt Forte and wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. They also have a strong defense blessed with playmakers on the front and back end. If Fitzpatrick plays like he did for most of 2015 -- when he threw multiple touchdown passes in a dozen games, leading the Jets to 10 wins -- this team should challenge for a playoff spot again.

That argument should be simple enough for an impasse to not exist at this point. However, recent history suggests that Maccagnan is applying the same logic that has become popular in other parts of the NFL. He's worrying more about the product he's paying for than the value that's assigned to the position. That's the kind of approach that can put teams in precarious situations.Broncos general manager John Elway just adopted that stance in Denver, as he watched Brock Osweiler bolt for Houston. Was Elway really just unwilling to pay an extra $1.5 million annually to a quarterback who helped the Super Bowl champions win five games last season? (Denver ultimately traded for Mark Sanchez, but you'd assume they're not done with the position.) The St. Louis Rams appear willing to play with fire, as well, with general manager Les Snead openly saying that Case Keenum will be their starter when training camp begins. Those teams are taking calculated gambles. They're hoping defense, special teams and a quality running game can compensate for deficiencies under center.

The argument here is that the Jets might have to accept the same fate that befell the Kansas City Chiefs following the 2013 season. Like the Jets this past year, those Chiefs had a solid quarterback (Alex Smith) with limitations who led that franchise to an 11-5 record (after K.C. had gone 2-14 a year earlier). The only difference was that Smith was entering the final year of his contract and the Chiefsknew he was their best option. So they gave him a four-year, $68 million extension and moved on with their starter in place.There was plenty of debate about where Smith should fit into the pay scale of NFL quarterbacks. He wasn't good enough to command $20 million annually, but he was proven enough to ask for a sizable amount. He also had the one thing Fitzpatrick has going for him in this situation: Smith understood how hard it had been for the Chiefs to find a decent option at quarterback before he ever came to town.

That is the final point to be made here for Fitzpatrick: The Jets can hint about the possibility of going back to Geno Smith, but they know what that would mean in the short term. You're talking about a turnover machine at quarterback, a player who earned so little respect in the locker room that a former teammate broke his jaw during a training camp fight over money. Good luck selling that one as a step in the right direction. There's no way this team even sniffs a winning season with Smith back under center.That means Maccagnan has to eventually find a way to get this deal done. It's surely not going to be for what they're offering right now, nor will it be a long-term commitment that stretches into the $16 million-per-year category.But if the Jets are serious about winning games this season, they'll have to do something that most teams in this league already understand. They'll have to accept that quarterbacks with good timing usually end up getting what they want.

>   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646499/article/jets-need-to-pay-ryan-fitzpatrick-if-theyre-serious-about-winning

37 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Cam Newton was the MVP of the league this year....same guy who pouted after a SB loss. Same guy who is overly criticized for everything that he does, from dancing & celebrations to the clothes he wears during interviews. He was called immature and a RISK to take in the 1st round the moment he left Auburn. 

That didnt take too long to refute. 

That is the media. Cam Newton pouted after a super bowl loss are you kidding me? I'd be upset if my quarterback WASN'T upset with a super bowl loss. The media destroys this guy for no reason and people like you use it as ammo. You are all over the place and losing credibility.  And enough about this training camp and how well he played. Fact is unless you watched him everyday there then you don't know. I remember hearing the same thing about how well Sanchez looked in camp. Remember  that? 

Archived