Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

It's not a strong belief, it just makes sense. If They're content with Fitzpatrick as the starter and Petty as the project, they may as well remain content in Geno. He knows the system, has starting experience, and will only make about $1.1M next year. Be hard to find something comparable at a comparable cost. I really think they only way they replace Geno is if they draft a QB relatively high next year. 

If they were done with him, they could've replaced him when they had QBs in when his jaw was broken, but they chose not to. And he hasn't been a distraction or divisive all year. 

ya great unknown. Probably dump Geno and replace with Vet QB or draft pick depending on how much they REALLY honestly like Petty (which none of us know)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You are full of sh!t" is not a personal attack? must be nice to make up the rules as you go along.

logo.gif

Again, this is why I laughed in your exchange with Klecko. Your whole bully-victim tirade. No one on this site is quicker to go from attacking to flopping and crying victim than you are. Lol. 

Again, this is why I laughed in your exchange with Klecko. Your whole bully-victim tirade. No one on this site is quicker to go from attacking to flopping and crying victim than you are. Lol. 

I just figured out who Fitzy reminds me of....Jeff phucking Garcia and I despised that overrated little phuck. If jet fans love him so much so be it. If fitzy has a good agent his number will skyrocket. This is america if he can get another $50m from a team, good for him, he is still young in QB yrs. 

It's a shame too because he's generally one of my favorite posters.  Can we get "good jgb" back?  Or has he gone full Odell?

ya great unknown. Probably dump Geno and replace with Vet QB or draft pick depending on how much they REALLY honestly like Petty (which none of us know)

Pretty much what I was thinking.

We probably arent drafting a QB who can start and lead the team on week one, so keep Petty learning under the savvy vet Fitz for a couple more years.

Dont know about Geno. His knowledge of the system and personnel  is already there, but it may be easy to learn for another 4-5 year Qb we may be able to pick up. (Compete with Fitz in camp for starting spot too) Problem I feel with Geno is, the guys dont REALLY trust him enough to lead. Fitz obviously has that here.

Maybe draft a QB and replace Geno with Petty at 2nd string, seems like its an even trade off in all regards if Petty is at all competent.

-- FitzMagic lives.

For the second time in three weeks, Ryan Fitzpatrick rallied the New York Jets to a fourth-quarter comeback, orchestrating a last-minute drive to lift them to a 19-16 victory over the Dallas Cowboys in a thrilling Saturday night game at AT&T Stadium. Randy Bullock, atoning for a missed extra point and a missed field goal try, won it with a 40-yard field goal with 36 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Maybe the Jets are a destiny team.

After a sloppy game, Fitzpatrick delivered in the clutch, leading an eight-play, 58-yard drive to set up Bullock's winner. The big play was a 43-yard strike to Kenbrell Thompkins, a seldom-used backup who was thrust into a prominent role because of injuries at the wide receiver position.Fitzpatrick led the Jets to 10 points in the fourth quarter to overcome a 13-9 deficit. For fleeting moments, it looked as if they were going to lose to a fourth-string quarterback, Kellen Moore, who replaced the ineffective Matt Cassel. Quite frankly, the Jets' defense allowed too many plays. But it was bailed out by FitzMagic.

This was all about mental toughness. There's no way the Jets would have won this game earlier in the season, but Todd Bowles' team showed its mettle.

What it means: You can't call them losers anymore.

After four years of bad to mediocre football, the Jets secured their first winning season since 2010. It was a 60-minute struggle for the Jets, but they won their fourth straight, improved to 9-5 and stayed in the AFC wild-card hunt.

One reason to get excited: Fitzpatrick completed 26 of 39 passes for 299 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. His two biggest throws were to backups, Thompkins and Quincy Enunwa, who made a third-and-14 conversion that set up a touchdown. The Jets have quality depth at receiver.

A reason to panic: This was yet another disastrous performance by the special teams, which cost the Jets four points. Bullock missed a PAT (the Jets' first miss in 289 attempts, including the postseason), and he was wide right on a 45-yard field goal attempt. Actually, he was successful from 40 yards, but it didn't count because of a penalty on Leger Douzable. The re-kick was ... well, you know. It's hard to win high-stakes football games when you're giving away points in the kicking game.

Another reason to panic: The Jets' top-ranked run defense allowed 133 yards, including 66 yards on two runs. One came on a reverse, continuing a recent trend: The Jets are suckers for gadget plays. Darren McFadden was tough at the point of attack, gashing the Jets for 100 yards on the ground. Obviously, the Jets missed linebacker David Harris, who went out with a back injury in the first quarter. Nevertheless, they should have been able to stifle the Dallas rushing attack, especially with no threat at quarterback.

What were they thinking? A Bowles blitz backfired at the worst possible time. He threw the kitchen sink at Moore on a first-and-10 from the Jets' 10, but the neophyte quarterback didn't panic. He threw a quick pass to Dez Bryant in the left flat. It was Bryant versus Darrelle Revis -- two of the best players in the league -- in the open field. Revis took a bad angle, allowing Bryant to blow past him for a touchdown. Revis usually is a dependable tackler, but he whiffed in a big way. On the previous play, Antonio Cromartie failed to wrap up a ball carrier.

Fantasy watch: Bilal Powell scored for the third straight week, this time on a 10-yard run for his first rushing touchdown of the season. He also added seven catches for 54 yards. Eric Decker scored his 10th touchdown, giving him and Brandon Marshall a combined 21 touchdowns -- the most by a Jets tandem.

Game ball: Fitzpatrick. Who else?

Ouch: The Harris injury was a killer. Only a few days ago, Bowles said the defense couldn't function without Harris. It turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. He was replaced by Erin Henderson. Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson was evaluated for a head injury in the third quarter, but he returned.

What's next: The Jets return home to face the New England Patriots (11-2) with the hope of splitting the season series.

>        http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57210/ryan-fitzpatrick-does-it-again-rallies-jets-to-another-comeback-win

We also don't know how they feel about Geno inside the building. His teammates' (non)response to his getting his jaw broken was telling, and Bowles describing it along the lines of a couple sixth graders doesn't bode well, either. But they had other QBs in, and decided to ride with Geno this year. Maybe the punch to the face and subsequent benching have led to a little humility for the kid? I honestly don't know. But if he's grown up a little, I definitely think it makes sense to let him finish out his contract here rather than replace him with another vet. Geno would make about $1.1M next year, a guy like Matt Cassel (who sucks!) is making $2M. Is it worth twice the money for a potential downgrade at the position? Only if Geno is still a total dick, which is totally possible. 

A draft pick is a different story, though, especially a high pick. That would tell me they don't love Petty and are still looking for Fitz's eventual replacement. In that instance, yeah, Geno is gone. Aso made the point that Geno could potentially ask for his release, and they'd probably grant that after trying to trade him. 

Otherwise he's a cheap backup who knows the system and has starting experience. 

"you're so sensitive!!!" Fall back argument of those doing the indefensible.

He's not only a cheap backup, he's just plain cheap. His 'cheapness' cost him his starting job, further tainted his suspect character and will cost him millions. The only reason he was on this team was by default.  Petty was nowhere near ready.  They weren't going to risk putting him out there due to Fitz being injured.  They were already paying Geno, and as you stated he knows the system.  They really had no choice but to keep him this year.  Not a big deal.  Next year, however, he will be gone. I have no doubt.  Mac and Bowles have zero investment in this clown.  If they had any depth at the position, he would have been a casualty just like Coples was. BTW, when was the last time you heard B. Marsh say ANYTHING about Geno?  

Geno-Marshall-home-final-05-28-15.jpg  

Jets have found their man in Fitzpatrick

After bouncing around for the majority of his career, Ryan Fitzpatrick seems to finally be where he is wanted. How much will it cost the Jets to keep the Fitzmagic show in New York? QBs getting new contracts? (Insider)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

If Fitzy has a good agent, he will seek close to $15M per yr. Maybe he settles for $12M and gives jets a home town discount, He has jets gm by gonads as there isnt anything out there.

We also don't know how they feel about Geno inside the building. His teammates' (non)response to his getting his jaw broken was telling, and Bowles describing it along the lines of a couple sixth graders doesn't bode well, either. But they had other QBs in, and decided to ride with Geno this year. Maybe the punch to the face and subsequent benching have led to a little humility for the kid? I honestly don't know. But if he's grown up a little, I definitely think it makes sense to let him finish out his contract here rather than replace him with another vet. Geno would make about $1.1M next year, a guy like Matt Cassel (who sucks!) is making $2M. Is it worth twice the money for a potential downgrade at the position? Only if Geno is still a total dick, which is totally possible. 

A draft pick is a different story, though, especially a high pick. That would tell me they don't love Petty and are still looking for Fitz's eventual replacement. In that instance, yeah, Geno is gone. Aso made the point that Geno could potentially ask for his release, and they'd probably grant that after trying to trade him. 

a high pick means we traded a player or picks to move up and it REALLY means they dont like Petty. If no QB drated by jets and we sign a FA Vet QB its obvious Petty is 2017 plan )assuming jets are real when implying re-sign Fitz)

Jets have found their man in Fitzpatrick

After bouncing around for the majority of his career, Ryan Fitzpatrick seems to finally be where he is wanted. How much will it cost the Jets to keep the Fitzmagic show in New York? QBs getting new contracts? (Insider)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Such a relief after all these years!

a high pick means we traded a player or picks to move up and it REALLY means they dont like Petty. If no QB drated by jets and we sign a FA Vet QB its obvious Petty is 2017 plan )assuming jets are real when implying re-sign Fitz)

some guys prefer to play with the band as the titanic goes down. I'm getting on the USS Fitz and steaming away from this disaster!

Such a relief after all these years!

but how do we know, like really know, that geno isn't good?

some guys prefer to play with the band as the titanic goes down. I'm getting on the USS Fitz and steaming away from this disaster!

but how do we know, like really know, that geno isn't good?

LOL...Todd Bowles told us.

zero draft picks imo, best case is a 7th

agree. 7th rounder would be a gift from above.. If Jets like Petty, Geno is gone and we get a Vet or a draft pick Mac thinks is a sleeper. If Geno gone (knows system) I think Jets will get Vet  low turnover guy if they arent 100% sure Petty ready.. 

Happy Holiday!!!! 

LOL...Todd Bowles told us.

well before I am ready to move on I demand ironclad proof (and only I can define ironclad, 31 games is not enough, I have decreed), also known as: a standard that has never existed anywhere when a football executive has had to make a personnel decision.

agree. 7th rounder would be a gift from above.. If Jets like Petty, Geno is gone and we get a Vet or a draft pick Mac thinks is a sleeper. If Geno gone (knows system) I think Jets will get Vet  low turnover guy if they arent 100% sure Petty ready.. 

Happy Holiday!!!! 

disagree on one thing: geno gotta go regardless of how team feels about petty. I would rather have another journeyman backup fitz than geno. His presence is no longer required or desired. For the geno fans, even you should want this. Change of scenery is only way you get to post on here about how you guys were right. He is dead and buried as a jet.

Happy Holiday!!!! 

Front offices all across the league think the guy is worthless.

To be fair, the only place where i have heard positive opinions on the guy, is here.

I meant high as in a first or second rounder, not top of the draft high. If they're trading up in the first for a QB, that's a whole 'nother story. 

-- No matter what happens over the final two games, Ryan Fitzpatrick's season will be a success. He stabilized the quarterback position and earned the respect of the New York Jets' locker room, proving he deserves a new contract in the offseason.

It's a feel-good story, the Harvard-educated quarterback finding happiness on his sixth team. To make it a feel-great story, though, he has to beat the New England Patriots on Sunday. It's that simple.

Such is life in Tom Brady's division.

To make your bones as a quarterback in the AFC East, you have to beat Brady in a big game. The Patriots have owned the division for 15 years, setting the standard. If you can't topple the dynasty, you can at least own them for a day -- a day rife with playoff implications. Heck, even Mark Sanchez did that, beating the Patriots in the 2010 postseason.Now it's Fitzpatrick's turn. He's having arguably the best season of any quarterback in the division since 2001 -- any quarterback not named Brady, that is -- but there will be a void if he can't get it done this weekend at MetLife Stadium. This is his chance to reverse two trends: He's 1-7 lifetime against the Patriots, and the Jets are 1-8 against them since that playoff win four years ago.

On Tuesday, Fitzpatrick smiled when asked if this is the biggest game of his career. This is his 11th season and he's never been this close to the playoffs, so the answer seems obvious."You might be forgetting about 2004 Harvard-Yale, undefeated season on the line," said Fitzpatrick, who led Harvard to a 35-3 victory that day to complete a 10-0 season. "(There were) a lot of alums at that game that could set you up for your future if you win that one."

The Game is legendary, but Jets-Patriots isn't too shabby. The Jets (9-5), winners of four straight, need this one badly. A loss would cripple their playoff hopes, perhaps eliminate them before Week 17. They don't want to lose to any team, least of all the hated Patriots."I don't know if I want to place a significance on it, where (it ranks) in my career, but this is huge for me," Fitzpatrick acknowledged. "I'm excited. This is why everybody in here plays the game, to play in a football games like this in December and have a shot at playing longer."

He doesn't want to be remembered as The Guy That Never Made The Postseason. Only one quarterback in NFL history has thrown more touchdown passes than Fitzpatrick (149) without making the playoffs -- the immortal Charley Johnson (170), who played from 1961 to 1975.Fitzpatrick also is trying to conquer his New England demons. Reminded of his struggles against the Patriots, he said, "I think a lot of people have. They're a pretty good team." They're an outstanding team, but only one quarterback since 2001 has more losses against them than Fitzpatrick -- Peyton Manning (4-9).

This could be Fitzpatrick's time. Not only is he having one of the best passing seasons in Jets history, but he's doing it in Brady's division -- and that's rare. Consider: No AFC East quarterback other than Brady has thrown 28 touchdowns in a season since 2001 (he's done it nine times), but Fitzpatrick is right there with 26. Chad Pennington had a similar year in 2008, helping the Miami Dolphins steal the division from the Patriots.

It's too late for that, but Fitzpatrick can accomplish the next-best thing: Beat 'em in a big December game.The Jets' version of The Game.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57309/jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-won-the-game-but-he-needs-to-win-this-game

— New England may have a future Hall of Famer in Tom Brady, but the Jets are feeling pretty good about their chances against the Patriots on Sunday.

Why ?

“FitzMagic,” cornerback Buster Skrine said, smiling, as he talked about quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick during a one-on-one interview Tuesday. “I mean, he’s always making plays. Yeah, they have a great player, but I think we have a great quarterback, too. If you look at Fitz the last couple of games, he’s been doing a great job.”

Saturday night’s 19-16 win over the Cowboys was the latest example of Fitzpatrick’s late-game magic. He was 10-for-12 in the fourth quarter for 132 yards, including a 43-yard pass to Kenbrell Thompkins that helped set up the winning field goal with 36 seconds left.In a buoyant visitors’ locker room at AT&T Stadium, linebacker Calvin Pace raved about Fitzpatrick’s comeback ability. “Fitz is an awesome player. I am glad we got him,” Pace said. “Making plays with his legs, making throws. He is a big-time player. I’m hoping he has enough votes for our team MVP, because he deserves it.”

The 33-year-old journeyman has opened eyes as the leader of the new-look Jets, a 9-5 team still in the AFC wild-card hunt. Over their past four games — all victories — Fitzpatrick has passed for 1,229 yards, 10 touchdowns and one interception for a 105.7 rating. His career-high 26 TD passes are three shy of Vinny Testaverde’s 1998 club record), and he needs 305 passing yards to move ahead of Testaverde (3,732) for the third-best season total by a Jet.But not all of Fitzpatrick’s stats are pretty. As a starter, he’s 1-7 against the Patriots. Asked about his lack of success against New England, he said: “I don’t think a lot of people have. They’re a pretty good team. I mean this is a completely different team. Each year in Buffalo was a completely different team.”

The good news is the Jets appear to be much more cohesive than they were in Week 7, when they lost, 30-23, in Foxborough. (Brady threw for 355 yards and two TDs and ran for a TD, while Fitzpatrick completed 22 of 39 for 295 yards and two TDs. Now, their season is on the line, and to maximize their playoff chances, they’ll have to beat the defending Super Bowl champions.

“This is a huge one for me and I’m excited,” said Fitzpatrick, who has played for six teams in 11 seasons and never made the playoffs. “This is why everybody in here plays the game: Playing football games like this in December and have a shot at playing longer.”

The key this week for the Jets’ offense is the same as it was against Tennessee and Dallas. “Play with composure,” he said. And that’s something Fitzpatrick demonstrates on the field and in the huddle.

“When you’ve got this job on your shoulders, you can’t take things too serious, especially at quarterback,” slot receiver Jeremy Kerley said. “First of all, nobody will want to be around you if that’s how it is. And then nobody will really want to play for you because you’re too serious all the time.

“But if you’re cool, you’re chill, you have a personality — and you’re winning? That’s a good combo.”

>     http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-believe-in-surging-ryan-fitzpatrick-1.11256813

“Fitz is an awesome player. I am glad we got him,” Pace said. “Making plays with his legs, making throws. He is a big-time player. I’m hoping he has enough votes for our team MVP, because he deserves it.”

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-believe-in-surging-ryan-fitzpatrick-1.11256813

When was the last time we had a team MVPthat wasn't on the defensive side of the ball?

I don't care how average, mediocre, or bad Fitz is.

I'd run through a wall for that guy.

I am fully won over.  I am a Fitz fanboy.

We make the playoffs, a Fitz jersey will soon be mine.

And yes, of course we re-up him.  

This is the best I've felt about our QB, no matter the rest plays out, since the early Pennington Era when Penny still held so much next-Montana type promise.

You have been a complete fanboy for several weeks now

You have been a complete fanboy for several weeks now

C'mon johnny, come to the light.  LOL

Almost every one you are accusing of being a "fanboy" is aware of Fitz's physical limitations .   Almost no one wants him to be the starting QB on the Jets in 2 years........But, c'mon right now there is no one on the Jets who is a better QB........He's a hard guy not to like.

Clearly the CS likes him.  The players seem to love him.  He's won the fans over...........Most importantly, right now he's playing dang good football.   Don't know what's going to happen Sunday, but so far he's been really fun to watch.

Have some fun.

Don't bother.

He'd rather see Fitz fail (and have his opinion vindicated) than see the Jets win. Complete fool.

Completely untrue. I never root against a Jet. I also like Fitz actually. He seems like a good guy and has played well for 4 weeks in a row now. I have stated I am all in on him. I hope he throws 9 TDs against the Cheatriots. I do think that this is lightning in a bottle because of many factors and unlikely to be repeated next year, and I am not for signing him again as the presumptive starter for next year. Just need to look at Buffalo to see how that worked our. Hopefully Petty will be ready

Archived