Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'll take Geno over Sanchez.

I wouldn't.  

No one (at JI at least) was happier then I the day "just give him a fair shot" Sanchez was gone.

But then we got "just needs a fair shot" Smith, and I realized it can always get worse, no matter how bad you think you might have it.

A lesson those who want to dump Fitz have yet to learn, if you ask me.

If it meant cutting Smith, I'd have been beside myself in happiness had WE signed Sanchez.  And I still think he's barely adequate and turns it over too much.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

47 years and counting............ENOUGH with the STOP GAP QBs on this damn team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, you may as well start with "48 years and counting....  " because this isn't the year, either, no matter which of these options lines up under center. 

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I would like to see that stat. He was definitely under .500 with us and I think below .500 with Philly. Fitz I think is a player who has improved not  regressed like Mark. The Jets really counted on him to be our franchise Qb. And gave him every opportunity to succeed. Mark was a bust. He wasn't good with Philly he was ok. And they traded him for nothing even though he has a very cap friendly contract. The only reason Elway made that deal was because of the tiny compensation and his salary. 

I think this is a fairly common case of fans acting like the prior year is the entire sample size.  Fitz has had a very long career in the NFL and if you are looking at his career arc being one of consistent ascending, you clearly just started watching games last year.  His career has been all over the map with 7 teams acquiring and then moving on from him.  He bombed after he got his first payday and was extremely ordinary to downright lousy for Tennessee and Houston.  He had an above average season in a sea of mediocre to lousy seasons, hardly an ascending player if you look at the last 5 years.

Basically in 2015 the major additions to the Jets offense were Fitz and Marshall. The previous season under Geno (if you're saying Geno didn;t have the weapons) we had most of the same guys as in 2015 including Decker, Bilal, Ivory. We didn't have Percy Harvin who at times looked very good in 2014 and Jace Amaro was out for the season. So to say our offense was stacked in 2015 our skill position players were mostly the same guys and we lost a few good players.Of course Marshall was a game changer but Fitz had something to do with that, And Marshall dropped his share of balls, too. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Basically in 2015 the major additions to the Jets offense were Fitz and Marshall. The previous season under Geno (if you're saying Geno didn;t have the weapons) we had most of the same guys as in 2015 including Decker, Bilal, Ivory. We didn't have Percy Harvin who at times looked very good in 2014 and Jace Amaro was out for the season. So to say our offense was stacked in 2015 our skill position players were mostly the same guys and we lost a few good players.Of course Marshall was a game changer but Fitz had something to do with that, And Marshall dropped his share of balls, too. 

You forgot 1 important person solely responsible for Fitzpatrick's success Chan Gailey

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Decker was injured most of 2014.  Plus Bowles and Gailey say "hi".

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Decker was injured most of 2014.  Plus Bowles and Gailey say "hi".

How people just discount what Bowles & Gailey brought to the offense is beyond me

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Decker had 74 catches for 962 in 2014. Now that's fairly significant. And in 2015 he had 80 for 1027.

Right.  Even with defenses knowing a slowed/injured Decker was Geno's only option, Geno was good enough to get him the ball.  Good point.  

Just now, Mike135 said:

Right.  Even with defenses knowing a slowed/injured Decker was Geno's only option, Geno was good enough to get him the ball.  Good point.  

Give us a break. We all know that Geno was horrible in 2014. 

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm not saying Geno is going to break records, but I would much rather have Geno plus the money than Fitzpatrick even at $10 million.  

Here is the difference between Geno and Fitz or Geno and perhaps another QB.   You know how in lawsuits plaintiffs are compensated for pain and suffering and mental anguish?  Well with Geno you have to be ready for that aspect.  Whether Fitz can read or not read a D any better than Geno is up for debate I suppose.  What I do know is with Fitz you get some limited play in which you wish your Qb had better skills.  with Geno you see all the skills and want to claw your eyes out when he pulls off a mindnumbingly dumb play 2 or 3 times a game to deep 6 your team.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Here is the difference between Geno and Fitz or Geno and perhaps another QB.   You know how in lawsuits plaintiffs are compensated for pain and suffering and mental anguish?  Well with Geno you have to be ready for that aspect.  Whether Fitz can read or not read a D any better than Geno is up for debate I suppose.  What I do know is with Fitz you get some limited play in which you wish your Qb had better skills.  with Geno you see all the skills and want to claw your eyes out when he pulls off a mindnumbingly dumb play 2 or 3 times a game to deep 6 your team.

LOL  pain and suffering.  wow how rooting for this team has devolved.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Just as Fitz would have been.

Fitz was actually pretty good with the Texans in 2014 until he got injured. The reason Mac who knew him from Houston wisely signed him. Again the skill position players in 2014 were mostly the same guys as 2015 except for Marshall. And Marshall was not the perfect player believe me. He lost a few games, too and is at times erratic. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

First the coaching staff and his teammates want him back. Players like Marshall feel confident with him and think they can win and make the playoffs in 2016 with Fitz as our Qb. One reason (not excuse) he hasn't made the playoffs is because the teams he has started for were below average like the Bills and Texans two years ago,. Actually until hie got injured he played well for Houston. So his last two starting jobs he's been pretty good. So that's why I agree with Bowles that he's an improving player. I guess Mac could structure his contract and front load it: give him his guaranteed money up front so in case he doesn't play well they can release him in 2017. Again you don't get rid of your starting Qb after a good year over a few million bucks.The idea is to win now.

Before Geno got his face broken, Marshall had moved in with him, and was publicly proclaiming his love for Geno. He was probably the only guy on the team who was upset when IK KO'd him, posting a sad face emoji on Twitter. He loves whoever's throwing him the football. 

I'd like Fitz back, but on the Jets' terms. The $7-8M/year number that's been leaked seems more than fair for a weak armed journeyman QB who had a career year throwing to two high quality WRs against weak competition during an unusually mild weathered football season. I don't think the Jets should go any higher, and I don't think they will. It's obvious that they don't see him as a long term solution, and they shouldn't. They clearly want to find a long term solution other than Fitz, and find it ASAP.

No one else seems to be driving up the market for him, either. Considering paying him any more is just impatience. Wait it out. If anything, Fitz should sign before the Jets lower their offer. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz was actually pretty good with the Texans in 2014 until he got injured. The reason Mac who knew him from Houston wisely signed him. Again the skill position players in 2014 were mostly the same guys as 2015 except for Marshall. And Marshall was not the perfect player believe me. He lost a few games, too and is at times erratic. 

The Texans had a decent offense.  And yes, Mac knew he'd be a good fit with Gailey as a backup for small $$$.  If he thought Fitz was really that good, he'd be signed now.

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

The Texans had a decent offense.  And yes, Mac knew he'd be a good fit with Gailey as a backup for small $$$.  If he thought Fitz was really that good, he'd be signed now.

We'll see what happens then. Don't assume there is no market for Fitz and that he can't get anything over 7 mil per. The world won't crumble if we don't sign Fitz but this team is much better with him than without him. I'd again offer him more money with incentives.But not a king's ransom or anything over two years.  You know maybe like 10 base and up to 13 if we win a Super Bowl. Now wouldn't 13 for a SB be a bargain. And 10 with no Super Bowl be a reasonable price for a starting Qb coming off of a very good season. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Now wouldn't 13 for a SB be a bargain. And 10 with no Super Bowl be a reasonable price for a starting Qb coming off of a very good season. 

Hell yeah 13mil for a SB winning QB would be reasonable.  Just like the 3 or 4mil Fitz made last year was reasonable for failing to make the playoffs with a great offense and weak schedule.

Why you'd want to bump that to 10mil for what will likely be a worse result this season though is beyond me.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And if they thought it was Fitz they wouldn't be 9+ mil apart.  

Wouldnt be talking to TB about Glennon, SF about Kaep, RG3, etc.. 

It's not Fitz.   Fitz isn't worth 17, 18 million.  

But, he is worth 8-10, and gives us the best shot to do anything next year.  It's not like he is blocking some great young prospect from playing.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hell yeah 13mil for a SB winning QB would be reasonable.  Just like the 3 or 4mil Fitz made last year was reasonable for failing to make the playoffs with a great offense and weak schedule.

Why you'd want to bump that to 10mil for what will likely be a worse result this season though is beyond me.

I disagree. We didn't have a great offense. Our skill position players were again mostly the same guys from a 4-12 team. The Qb was the most important addition in 2015. And why not be optimistic after a good season. I think we can make the playoffs and if we get in like 2009 good things can happen. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

All I can say (and thanks for looking up those stats) is that my happiest day as a Jets fan was when Mark was released. I'll take Geno over him. And Fitz over Geno. Fitz is our best Qb since Chad (and Brett Favre). And btw Elway isn't out of the market for Fitz. Of course we don't know that. 

That's very sad to hear, how Jet fans can bash a guy that helped us get closer to the SB than anyone besides Namath is beyond me.  

Elway is not dumb enough to sign Fitz.

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I disagree. We didn't have a great offense. Our skill position players were again mostly the same guys from a 4-12 team. The Qb was the most important addition in 2015. And why not be optimistic after a good season. I think we can make the playoffs and if we get in like 2009 good things can happen. 

Mostly the same? Funny I don't remember David Nelson, Clyde Gates and Greg Salas in the main rotation this past year. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ha, if we haven't already, we're about to go in circles.  We can agree to disagree.  Regardless we both have strong views on how to get the Jets winning.  Could be worse disagreements.

:beer_Orcish:

41 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

1 minute ago, The Engineer said:

Mostly the same? Funny I don't remember David Nelson, Clyde Gates and Greg Salas in the main rotation this past year. 

I think that Salas is a good 4th or 5th receiver and we had other guys in 2015 like Thompkins and even Devin Smith that aren't big stars either. Just backup receivers. And Brandon Marshall was not the straw that stirred the drink for the Jets. He made some great catches sure but also some of the dumbest plays in the NFL. 

43 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Houston was 6-6 w/ Fitz, 3-1 w/o him including their lone win over a playoff bound team.

He had nice #s(skewed by the 6 TD game) but hew as so good Houston gave him away for nothing.

Marshall didn't lose any games, he was the primary reason we won 10 games and h made Fitz look much better than he was.

the talent was nowhere bear the same from2014 to 2015.  2014 we were bottom half of the league, 2015 one of the most talented in the league.

Fitz on 2014 Jets and we go 4-12

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I think that Salas is a good 4th or 5th receiver and we had other guys in 2015 like Thompkins and even Devin Smith that aren't big stars either. Just backup receivers. And Brandon Marshall was not the straw that stirred the drink for the Jets. He made some great catches sure but also some of the dumbest plays in the NFL. 

I don't know where to begin with this post.  You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Houston was 6-6 w/ Fitz, 3-1 w/o him including their lone win over a playoff bound team.

He had nice #s(skewed by the 6 TD game) but hew as so good Houston gave him away for nothing.

Marshall didn't lose any games, he was the primary reason we won 10 games and h made Fitz look much better than he was.

the talent was nowhere bear the same from2014 to 2015.  2014 we were bottom half of the league, 2015 one of the most talented in the league.

Fitz on 2014 Jets and we go 4-12

I don't think so but we'll never know. But again the skill position players in 2014 were pretty much the same guys we had in 2015. And we lost a couple of good players in Harvin and Amaro. We had no real starting receiving tight end in 2015. 

Archived