Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't believe he ever asked for 15 because it doesn't make any sense. This is an unsubstantiated rumor. If he is asking for that kind of money he's not getting it. I mean you have backup money which is 2-5. And then lower tier starters 7-9. Rumors are the Jets are offering Fitz in that category. Since he's coming off of a very good year it's not unreasonable to give him an extra million and upper end in that category with maybe a few incentives thrown in. If me I don't play hardball with my starting Qb if I want him back.

Hmmm well I don't believe that the purported 7 or 9 million dollar Jets offer to Fitz is any more of a declaration of fact than the 15 Million figure is. The truth is everything is essentially a rumor until told otherwise.

I think that we have to assume what we have heard so far is approximately accurate for discussion purposes.  Indeed we have only heard from the Jets and Mac that they were willing to move towards a middle settlement. 

I think that the Jets are probably more than willing to give Fitz a 9 Million Dollar base salary with reasonable incentives to say a top salary of 11 or 12 Million Dollars.  The Jets can be grateful for Fitz' efforts but they are not obligated to give him more than double any other team is willing to pay him, that just doesn't make any sense.

I thought that Fitz' agents took the wrong tack here and stated so from the beginning.  The key wasn’t to compare Fitz' to starting QBs in the NFL and what they are getting but to the unique value of Fitz to the Jets.  In other words you compare Fitz in isolation and build from there and the whole subsequent JAG QB discussion doesn't even come up.  Just poor negotiating IMO, they have ended up making it look like Fitz is somehow a bottom of the barrel QB, when this isn't the case!!!!.

Think, now Fitz might have to hold the line and potentially even lose money just to save face!!

IMO I believe that Fitz and his team could have gotten a base salary of almost 10 Million Dollars with reasonable escalators if they had taken a different tack.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

51 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The Jets can be grateful for Fitz' efforts but they are not obligated to give him more than double any other team is willing to pay him, that just doesn't make any sense.

Fitz is somehow a bottom of the barrel QB, when this isn't the case!!!!

Of course they're not obligated to pay him double what others offer.  They shouldn't pay a penny over any other offer.  Only one I've heard is 7mil from Denver.  Fitz needs the Jets much more than the Jets need Fitz.  (Still think 7mil is too much.)

Fitz isn't bottom of the barrel?..  Sure, if that barrel contains all NFL QBs (including 2nd and 3rd stringers).  He'd be floating in the middle there.

If only starting QBs are in the barrel... ehhhh, yeah he kinda is at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Of course they're not obligated to pay him double what others offer.  They shouldn't pay a penny over any other offer.  Only one I've heard is 7mil from Denver.  Fitz needs the Jets much more than the Jets need Fitz.  (Still think 7mil is too much.)

Fitz isn't bottom of the barrel?..  Sure, if that barrel contains all NFL QBs (including 2nd and 3rd stringers).  He'd be floating in the middle there.

If only startering QBS are in the barrel... ehhhh, yeah he kinda is at the bottom.

It was rumored that the Jets were topping out at what Chase Daniel got with Philly:   3-year, $21 million deal that features $12 million guaranteed.

That falls in line with how Denver perceived Fitz's value as well.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was rumored that the Jets were topping out at what Chase Daniel got with Philly:   3-year, $21 million deal that features $12 million guaranteed.

That falls in line with how Denver perceived Fitz's value as well.

I could live with that.  It'd be nice if that 7mil/per drops though if he's not starting.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I could live with that.  It'd be nice if that 7mil/per drops though if he's not starting.

I'd go a little higher than that IF it comes down to outbidding Denver for his services, as I'm obviously a pro-Fitz guy.  I also don't want to be subjected to a Geno/Bryce Petty/rookie competition if we can avoid it.  

$8-9M per is a fair deal to me IF needed.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd go a little higher than that IF it comes down to outbidding Denver for his services, as I'm obviously a pro-Fitz guy.  I also don't want to be subjected to a Geno/Bryce Petty/rookie competition if we can avoid it.  

$8-9M per is a fair deal to me IF needed.

If I had to bet, that's probably what's gonna happen.  Not what I want, but seems the most likely.

Not that it matters much, but this morning Carton mentioned he heard a Fitz deal is technically done.  Just need to free up cap room to sign the dotted line.

Just now, Mike135 said:

If I had to bet, that's probably what's gonna happen.  Not what I want, but seems the most likely.

Not that it matters much but this morning, Carton mentioned he heard a Fitz deal is technically done.  Just need to free up cap room to sign the dotted line.

Same old Jets if the Fitzpatrick deal is done Macc like Idzik and Tannenbaum before him fail to get the job done. 

Sell the team Woody. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Not that it matters much but this morning, Carton mentioned he heard a Fitz deal is technically done.  Just need to free up cap room to sign the dotted line.

That would be nice.  I know many here think it would be like "treading water", but I look at it like this:  We have Marshall, Decker, Forte, Bilal, Devin Smith in Year 2, perhaps a healthy Jace Amaro, and who knows what else we add in the draft offensively.  The 2015 Jets were carried by the passing attack.  Why not double down and see what happens?  

More importantly, bringing Fitz back in no way prevents us from drafting a QB high.  

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Same old Jets if the Fitzpatrick deal is done Macc like Idzik and Tannenbaum before him fail to get the job done. 

Sell the team Woody. 

All hope isn't lost yet.  I'm still praying something else happens.  Just figuring that's likely to happen.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That would be nice.  I know many here think it would be like "treading water", but I look at it like this:  We have Marshall, Decker, Forte, Bilal, Devin Smith in Year 2, perhaps a healthy Jace Amaro, and who knows what else we add in the draft offensively.  The 2015 Jets were carried by the passing attack.  Why not double down and see what happens?  

More importantly, bringing Fitz back in no way prevents us from drafting a QB high.  

The 2015 Jets had the easiest schedule in the NFL and Fitzpatrick failed to get us into the playoffs. Look at his statistics and history. 

I hope like hell all you Fitzapologists are right. Cant see the love for a journeyman QB who has never ever made the playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely agree with being excited about the offense.  That's a lot of weapons.

O should be even better this season regardless of who's QB.  To me though, just seems limited w/Fitz.  Especially regarding Devin.  A QB who could threaten the whole field would make this offense a nightmare to plan for.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The 2015 Jets had the easiest schedule in the NFL and Fitzpatrick failed to get us into the playoffs. Look at his statistics and history. 

Approximately 86 % of the time, teams that go 10-6 make the playoffs.  

Way I see it:  Fitzpatrick performed like a playoff-caliber QB last season.  That's the first time you can say that about a Jet QB since 2002.

The fact that the Broncos have shown even mild interest in Fitzpatrick means they agree with my assessment, not the mouth breathers who keep saying he got lucky last year or that he's a below average QB.  

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Absolutely agree with being excited about the offense.  That's a lot of weapons.

O should be even better this season regardless of who's QB.  To me tbough, just seems limited w/Fitz.  Especially regarding Devin.  A QB who could threaten the whole field would make this offense a nightmare to plan for.

That's why I'm very much in favor of bringing back Fitz AND drafting a QB.  Perhaps we'll have the best of both worlds:  Fitz has a good year but we also get some looks at the rookie, and get to see how he plays with a guy like Devin Smith.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's why I'm very much in favor of bringing back Fitz AND drafting a QB.  Perhaps we'll have the best of both worlds:  Fitz has a good year but we also get some looks at the rookie, and get to see how he plays with a guy like Devin Smith.  

Sure, that'd be cool.  Though I'm one of the few Geno supporters.  Really want to see him with this offense.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Approximately 86 % of the time, teams that go 10-6 make the playoffs.  

Way I see it:  Fitzpatrick performed like a playoff-caliber QB last season.  That's the first time you can say that about a Jet QB since 2002.

The fact that the Broncos have shown even mild interest in Fitzpatrick means they agree with my assessment, not the mouth breathers who keep saying he got lucky last year or that he's a below average QB.  

6 teams in 11 years possibly 7 he has never made the playoffs ever,what dont you get. He's a below average QB. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Devin Smith is a burner Fitz cant throw the deep ball you wont see much. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe if you repeat it enough, someone will agree with you.  

Dont care who agrees with me many others do,facts are truer than any words that can be spoken here. 

Fitzpatrick is not the answer at QB for the NY Jets. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Average is still better than the alternative. 

Depending who the alternative is. 

Geno Smith under Gailey not MM

Bryce Petty 

Rookie Goff or Wentz 

Kaepernick 

Id take any of the above over Fitzpatrick HE HAD THE BEST YEAR OF HIS CAREER AND STILL COULDNT GET THE JETS IN THE PLAYOFFS AND WIN THE KEY GAME 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Depending who the alternative is. 

Geno Smith under Gailey not MM

Bryce Petty 

Rookie Goff or Wentz 

Kaepernick 

Id take any of the above over Fitzpatrick HE HAD THE BEST YEAR OF HIS CAREER AND STILL COULDNT GET THE JETS IN THE PLAYOFFS AND WIN THE KEY GAME 

Geno has never been average and always below average. 

No one knows what Petty is, except not ready. 

Either of those guys should sit at least a year. Not a viable option. 

Kaepernick in his last set of games was below average. He's also not coming to New York. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Kaepernick in his last set of games was below average. He's also not coming to New York. 

Fitzpatrick career stats put him average/below average one decent season does not make up for a career of failure 6 teams 11 years no playoffs doesn't say much.

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You do realize you're saying Geno isn't good based on his first two seasons in the league (with bad teams around him).

Yet for Goff and Wentz, who are projected to be early 1st rounders, you're saying they should sit at least a year.  Which to me, means potentially sitting two years.  And that's with us having a much better team.

Doesn't quite add up.  Geno should be judged when he shouldn't have been starting in the first place?

Archived