Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

You do realize you're saying Geno isn't good based on his first two seasons in the league (with bad teams around him).

Yet for Goff and Wentz, who are projected to be early 1st rounders, you're saying they should sit at least a year.  Which to me, means potentially sitting two years.  And that's with us having a much better team.

Doesn't quite add up.  Geno should be judged when he shouldn't have been starting in the first place?

I never wanted Geno. He shouldn't have started, but Rex was a buffoon and got Sanchez injured. That said, you're right. Geno should have never have started year one. Year two he was so bad he was replaced by the ghost of Mike Vick. He had his chance year 3 but his immaturity got him a broken jaw and a seat on the bench. He had a chance to at least show he'd learned and progressed against the Raiders. He didn't. Same mistakes, same mind numbing decision making. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I never wanted Geno. He shouldn't have started, but Rex was a buffoon and got Sanchez injured. That said, you're right. Geno should have never have started year one. Year two he was so bad he was replaced by the ghost of Mike Vick. He had his chance year 3 but his immaturity got him a broken jaw and a seat on the bench. He had a chance to at least show he'd learned and progressed against the Raiders. He didn't. Same mistakes, same mind numbing decision making. 

Can't argue with that.  I didn't want to draft Geno either.  But since he's here, I want to see what he can do with some learning and a good team.

I just hope we didn't ruin the guy's career.  

Must kinda suck for many young players.  Especially QBs.  If you get picked by the wrong team/coach, your career can potentially be a waste.  

Being used incorrectly early on, can get teams and almost more importantly, fans, completely against you.  

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Average is still better than the alternative. 

Sometimes you have to clean out the wound.....  Fitz played his absolute BEST football in 2015.  We missed the playoffs.

Its not like we havent been 4-12 before.  Id rather be 1-15  with a good pick than 8-8 and no QB available.

We now have a shilty draft pick.  Rinse and repeat.

You want MAC to pay for that?

Look, the bottom line for us is that 2016 isn't an experimental season to see how Geno or Petty or another Qb is going to do with the offense. We're not in a rebuilding, like all teams we're in a re-tooling. So that's why I'm adamant about keeping Fitz. Because I believe we can win this season! We'd be getting him off of his best NFL season. You can try to find excuses for that if you want to. But the thing is our offense worked last season. And the team had a winning record. And the starting Qb put us in a position to make the playoffs. He's not Aaron Rodgers but the last I heard Rodgers and the other elites are not available. You have a better chance of winning this season with Fitz than with Glennon etc. There is no comparison.

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

First and foremost, Sanchez got Sanchez injured by not being good before that game, and having next to no pocket awareness. Also blame goes to Idzik who force-fed the competition even past the time it was obvious Geno wasn't ready to be on the field yet - a competition Ryan never would have had because Sanchez was his guy - and was fighting for a power struggle with the HC he never wanted. And yes, also bearing responsibility was Ryan, who wanted to "prove" to the world and to the owner just how right he was, and how wrong Idzik was, by having Sanchez move the ball at will and win a snoopy bowl in stark contrast to Geno's 3 interceptions. So the dope puts him in there without also putting adequate blockers in there, against  soon to be cut 4th stringers who were trying to make a name for themselves. Even still, every QB doesn't get injured in the last preseason game. 

They all bear responsibility, but if Sanchez wasn't having a sh*tty summer himself it never would have come to that. Whatever. All 3 are gone. Good riddance.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First and foremost, Sanchez got Sanchez injured by not being good before that game, and having next to no pocket awareness. Also blame goes to Idzik who force-fed the competition even past the time it was obvious Geno wasn't ready to be on the field yet - a competition Ryan never would have had because Sanchez was his guy - and was fighting for a power struggle with the HC he never wanted. And yes, also bearing responsibility was Ryan, who wanted to "prove" to the world and to the owner just how right he was, and how wrong Idzik was, by having Sanchez move the ball at will and win a snoopy bowl in stark contrast to Geno's 3 interceptions. So the dope puts him in there without also putting adequate blockers in there, against  soon to be cut 4th stringers who were trying to make a name for themselves. Even still, every QB doesn't get injured in the last preseason game. 

They all bear responsibility, but if Sanchez wasn't having a sh*tty summer himself it never would have come to that. Whatever. All 3 are gone. Good riddance.

In Geno's defense that first season the team was a surprising 8-8 and he played well down the stretch after initially being erratic. He also did the same thing in 2014. But I agree that it wasn't anyone's fault that Sanchez got injured. Rex and Idzik were ripped for putting Mark late in a game but it was mostly Mark's loyal fans who as usual expected him to be treated all of the time with kid gloves. I see nothing wrong with what they did. Until that hit Mark had been pretty resilient and injury free his entire career. It's too bad this happened to him. My problem with what Idzik did that season with the Qb position was not signing a viable vet Qb to either start or back up Geno. He signed a good player in Garrard but the guy was physically unable to play. If David had been ok it would have been a smart move and he might have started. But it was a dumb move and left the team with two inexperienced Qbs in Geno and Simms.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

In Geno's defense that first season the team was a surprising 8-8 and he played well down the stretch after initially being erratic. He also did the same thing in 2014. But I agree that it wasn't anyone's fault that Sanchez got injured. Rex and Idzik were ripped for putting Mark late in a game but it was mostly Mark's loyal fans who as usual expected him to be treated all of the time with kid gloves. I see nothing wrong with what they did. Until that hit Mark had been pretty resilient and injury free his entire career. It's too bad this happened to him. My problem with what Idzik did that season with the Qb position was not signing a viable vet Qb to either start or back up Geno. He signed a good player in Garrard but the guy was physically unable to play. If David had been ok it would have been a smart move and he might have started. But it was a dumb move and left the team with two inexperienced Qbs in Geno and Simms.

Gerrard said he was into it and then stuck around until just after the draft, went through like 4 practices, and then quit on us. What a turd. Other than that it was a good signing lol.

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Gerrard said he was into it and then stuck around until just after the draft, went through like 4 practices, and then quit on us. What a turd. Other than that it was a good signing lol.

Garrard I thought was a good guy and tried to make a comeback. I didn't look at it like he quit on us. It was just bad judgment on Idzik's part to sign a guy who hadn't played due to injury in like 3 years. The previous camp didn't he win the Fins job but couldn't play either. Idzik actually brought him back as the Jets number 3 later that year mostly to mentor Geno.

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Garrard I thought was a good guy and tried to make a comeback. I didn't look at it like he quit on us. It was just bad judgment on Idzik's part to sign a guy who hadn't played due to injury in like 3 years. The previous camp didn't he win the Fins job but couldn't play either. Idzik actually brought him back as the Jets number 3 later that year mostly to mentor Geno.

No. He quit. Also my recollection was that he was handily winning the Dolphins job the prior season. 

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets WR Brandon Marshall on whether he expects free-agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to be back with the team: "He better be." Marshall, appearing at an event in NYC, said he asked Todd Bowles tonight for the scoop on the QB situation. He said Bowles told him, "We'll be OK."

>      http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Look there's another way of looking at Ryan's salary demands. His way of looking at it. Like he made 3.25 in 2015 for the Jets which most of us would say was a low figure and he outperformed. So he's maybe trying to get back some of that money. I totally don't believe that he's asking for Osweiller money. But maybe a few million over the 7 or 8 the Jets are reportedly offering him. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look there's another way of looking at Ryan's salary demands. His way of looking at it. Like he made 3.25 in 2015 for the Jets which most of us would say was a low figure and he outperformed. So he's maybe trying to get back some of that money. I totally don't believe that he's asking for Osweiller money. But maybe a few million over the 7 or 8 the Jets are reportedly offering him. 

So what? Who cares what his motivation is? 

If no one else is willing to give him 10¢ more than the $7-8M the Jets are offering, why should the Jets budge? 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

So what? Who cares what his motivation is? 

If no one else is willing to give him 10¢ more than the $7-8M the Jets are offering, why should the Jets budge? 

I don't agree with that. First we don't know what the offer is. We're hearing 7-9. But it's all speculation. And I don't mind trying to make my starting Qb happy within reason. You don't have to lowball and alienate the guy. The guy outperformed his contract last year and deserves some financial consideration for that. Players are asked to lower their deals when they underperform. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't agree with that. First we don't know what the offer is. We're hearing 7-9. But it's all speculation. And I don't mind trying to make my starting Qb happy within reason. You don't have to lowball and alienate the guy. The guy outperformed his contract last year and deserves some financial consideration for that. Players are asked to lower their deals when they underperform. 

They're willing to more than double the salary of a 33 year old QB with a pop gun arm. If he doesn't like that, he can take one of his other many offers. What? No one also has even made an offer? Oh well, I guess there's always retirement. 

Fitz is a smart guy. I hear he went to a good college and everything. Studied economics. Pretty sure he knows that the NFL is a business. I'm sure it's a harsh reality to find out that your actual value is less than half of what you and your agent set out to get, but that's his harsh reality. Throwing him a couple extra million in happiness money is pure stupidity. They know what Fitzpatrick is - a guy they want to replace as their starting QB ASAP. I don't think they're afraid to go into this season with a Hoyer, McCown, or even Geno starting the year as long as they have Petty -and maybe/probably another draft pick- developing behind him. Fitz will be lucky if they don't reduce their offer or take it off the table entirely. 

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So because he played better than his contract number for 2015, a deal he signed with Houston, the Jets owe him I'm 2016??

And if he's paid and plays like shlt do you think he'll give the jets a refund? 

You never, never pay a NFL player for what they did in the past.

You pay a player based on anticipated future production.

That is exactly why Fitz's offers are so low.

23 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

You also pay a player well below his market value, then circumvent the cap by giving money to his organization, that ends up directly in that player's pockets.

#PatriotWay

23 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Had the Pats been more willing to pay Veterans, they might have 2-3 more Title Trophies.

So yeah, maybe that logic isn't quite the best route for everyone not named Bellichek.

Had the Pats been more willing to pay Veterans, they might have 2-3 more Title Trophies.

So yeah, maybe that logic isn't quite the best route for everyone not named Bellichek.

Pure conjecture on your part.

4 Super Bowl titles in 15 years is not enough?

Pats know exactly when to cut ties with veteran players.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

4 is a heck of a lot but I do think you missed a window to win more.  Not b/c of cuts but b/c they get Brady at a discount and for many years didn't put enough talent around him.  they still won a lot and had SB chances thanks to Brady but w/ a little more talent they could have won more.  It's why they won in 2014 w/ revis.  

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Then you'd know it well, as every post of your is conjecture with a trolling slant.

Good for the Goose, good for the Gander my friend.

If your team wasn't so skinflint cheap, Brady would have 2-3 more rings.  Conjecture, but informed and supported conjecture, and something the real experts would echo.

It's ok, you got a few rings.  Don't let the constant cheating scandals and 2-3 likely title that escaped due purely to cheapness bother you.  You'll always have the Rams.  And the Rams videotape scouting.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

4 < 7

So no, not enough.  Shouldn't be enough for you either, if titles are what matters, as opposed to Krafty's bottom line.

Best Team in NFL History vs. won a few, lost a bunch more, good but not historic good.

Pats happily admit, they cut ties a "year too soon".  That year too soon has cost them titles.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

4 < 7

So no, not enough.  Shouldn't be enough for you either, if titles are what matters, as opposed to Krafty's bottom line.

Best Team in NFL History vs. won a few, lost a bunch more, good but not historic good.

Pats happily admit, they cut ties a "year too soon".  That year too soon has cost them titles.

to say they aren't historically great is silly.  This dynasty has been the most impressive in that it has taken place in the FA/parity era.  yes they probably should have more if they did a better job acquiring talent but it's still an historic run.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You also pay a player well below his market value, then circumvent the cap by giving money to his organization, that ends up directly in that player's pockets.

#PatriotWay

If Gronk doesn't hold out something is very very off. 

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

to say they aren't historically great is silly.  This dynasty has been the most impressive in that it has taken place in the FA/parity era.  yes they probably should have more if they did a better job acquiring talent but it's still an historic run.

Oh, they're well regarded, but no more than the Steelers, Redskins or other teams that had great runs of multiple titles.

Had they been less cheap, and less cold and heartless to their veterans, they'd be more.  They be the GOAT Dynasty.

They're not that now.  They're half dynasty, half Buffalo Bills, and it's at least in part to a management belief in utter cheapness and coldblooded ruthlessness against veterans.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, they're well regarded, but no more than the Steelers, Redskins or other teams that had great runs of multiple titles.

Had they been less cheap, and less cold and heartless to their veterans, they'd be more.  They be the GOAT Dynasty.

They're not that now.  They're half dynasty, half Buffalo Bills, and it's at least in part to a management belief in utter cheapness and coldblooded ruthlessness against veterans.

I agree they would be slam dunk #1 all time but as it is they are still in the discussion.

Tony Pauline of Draft Insider is reporting that the New York Jets have inquired about the first pick. The Jets are another team currently without a quarterback. They had Ryan Fitzpatrick this past year, but he remains a free agent at this point (although they appear to be making moves to clear up cap space to sign Fitz Magic).

Even if the Jets sign Fitzy again, he isn't there long-term solution. They would still be willing to give up some picks if there is a quarterback that they believe could be their franchise guy.There is always the chance that there is nothing to this. It could be speculation by Pauline, or it could be something that the Titans and Jon Robinson are floating out there to drive other offers.

Then again, Robinson could be on the phone with someone from the Jets right now working out the parameters of a deal to acquire picks and/or Muhammad Wilkerson.

>     http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2016/4/8/11393870/2016-nfl-draft-trade-rumors-the-new-york-jets-are-interested-in-first-pick

Archived