2016 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJets

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Players left from Jets drafts: 2006 (2), 07 (2 if you count Revis), 08 (0), 09 (0), 10 (0), 11 (2), 12 (1 if AA stays), 13 (5), 14 (6)

Basically this tweet explains why the Jets:

A: Spent so much in free agency last year

B: Have little money to spend this year

c: Have no realy players in the prime of their careers.

That is awful.  

19 minutes ago, FrankieJets1979 said:

I want this team to get a reliable tight end.  I would like to see them either sign Scott Chandler or see if they can make a trade for Martellus Bennett.

you forget about Amaro? He's coming back from injury but he looked promising before the injury

2 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

you forget about Amaro? He's coming back from injury but he looked promising before the injury

Amaro is far from reliable and committed way too many drops. Let's face it, Chan just doesn't use the TE spot.  No use in spending big money there when it's an irrelevant position in the system.

56 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Amaro is far from reliable and committed way too many drops. Let's face it, Chan just doesn't use the TE spot.  No use in spending big money there when it's an irrelevant position in the system.

He played only one year as a rookie - had a typical rookie season, im not basing my entire analysis of him off 1 season.

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Pats are going to sign Fitzpatrick too. Just to spite us. 

Upshaw and Dansby would be a neat consolation prize for playing without a proven  QB this year. 

Get' em in here. Dansby, Upshaw, Freeney... we need all the LB help we can get. 

Upshaw to me would be the "dirty work" Calvin Pace replacement if he comes on
board.  He never lived up to his reputation coming out of college, and I hope he's
improved his speed/flexibility because he was a "plodder":

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-free-agent-courtney-upshaw-visiting-new-york-jets-20160317-story.html

For the first week of free agency, Courtney Upshaw's market was unclear. But he could be getting closer to finding a new home.

Upshaw, 26, will be at the New York Jets facility Thursday for what is believed to be his first free-agent visit. Upshaw is considered one of the top free-agent outside linebackers still available. 

A second-round pick by the Ravens in 2012, Upshaw didn't miss a game over four seasons for the Ravens. He started 51 of 64 regular-season contests and played significant snaps as a rookie in 2012 when the Ravens won Super Bowl XLVII

He has 177 career tackles, five sacks, seven passes defended, two forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. But Ravens coaches and teammates were quick to say that Upshaw's value went well beyond statistics. Used primarily on rushing downs in a platoon with pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, Upshaw's primarily role was to set the edge in the running game, and he performed it well. 

With Terrell Suggs sustaining a season-ending Achilles injury in Week One of the 2015 season, Upshaw got more opportunities to rush the quarterback and he finished with a career-high two sacks. However, he never showed the type of pass-rushing ability that the Ravens hoped he would develop coming out of the University of Alabama.

Ravens officials conceded earlier this offseason that it was going to be tough to re-sign Upshaw. The Ravens are expected to get a healthy Suggs back and also were pleased with the development of rookie outside linebacker Za'Darius Smith last offseason. The Ravens also want to acquire another pass rusher, likely in the draft. 

Upshaw's status does carry some significance for the Ravens going forward. If he signs elsewhere, that would increase the Ravens' chances of getting a third-round compensatory selection in next year's draft for the loss of offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele to the Oakland Raiders

7 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Upshaw is a very good run stuffer, 

So was snacks and we didn't resign him . This kid can go pound sand for all I care . he's a poor Calvin Pace and we're getting rid of Pace .  If we sign him, he's my new favorite  Jet . Until we cut him after or during the season .

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've about had it up to here with slow, run stuffing, set the edge olbs that cannot rush the passer at all.  Any replacement of pace should be a potential 10 sack guy.

Yeah, I have no idea why they haven't signed JJ watt or Von Miller. Fire Idzik!

Guys like Upshaw/Jenkins/Mclendon are solid signings to fill a roster. They are not dynamic pass rushers but then again we are paying them peanuts compared to what elite pass rushers get. The only way to get an elite pass rusher this season was to trade Mo Wilk or draft one. We never had the cap space to land one. Even the GREAT Oliver Vernon that the media is going crazy over is more of a 6/7  sack a season type of player (and to be fair, Mccags kicked the tires on him). 

22 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, I have no idea why they haven't signed JJ watt or Von Miller. Fire Idzik!

Guys like Upshaw/Jenkins/Mclendon are solid signings to fill a roster. They are not dynamic pass rushers but then again we are paying them peanuts compared to what elite pass rushers get. The only way to get an elite pass rusher this season was to trade Mo Wilk or draft one. We never had the cap space to land one. Even the GREAT Oliver Vernon that the media is going crazy over is more of a 6/7  sack a season type of player (and to be fair, Mccags kicked the tires on him). 

We have had Bryan thomas....for years

Calvin pace...for years

Quinton Coples,,, for years

Garret freaking macintyere.. for a few years.

Hey I don't mind upshaw overall as a player but if we sign him to a starters deal we are going to play him alot.

Yeah lets go solid, sturdy vet, like we have since the rex days.

In todays game the most important hing your olbs do is rush the passer and the odd time hope they can cover for a few seconds.  We have had excellent run stuffing olbs for years. 

Archived