Erin Andrews Awarded $55 Million in Lawsuit

TuscanyTile2

Not saying she wasn't wronged but $55 million?!?  And Marriot has to pay $26 million?!?!?  Give me a break.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/erin-andrews-jury-set-deliberate-75-million-lawsuit/story?id=37460110

The jury has awarded Erin Andrews $55 million in her civil lawsuit over the secret recording and release of a video showing her naked during a hotel stay.

The sportscaster's original suit asked for $75 million from the owner and operator of the Nashville, Tennessee, hotel where she was staying, and Michael David Barrett, the stalker who used a hacksaw to tamper with her room's peephole and record the video in 2008.

The jurors took photos with Andrews after the amount was announced, and she signed autographs, according to reports from inside the courtroom.

The jury found Barrett to be 51 percent at fault and required him to pay out more than $28 million. West End Hotel Partners, which owns and operates that Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, was found to be 49 percent at fault and asked to pay out more than $26 million.

(Read the rest at the URL)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't care about the money. I just feel very sorry for her. You can see she was totally destroyed by all of this. If she does get anything I'm sure she'll donate most of it after legal expenses to charity. 

Somehow I doubt it.  She'll pay her lawyers and then live off this payday for the rest of her life. Not saying she is at fault here.  Just that the legal system is a joke.  $55 million?!  Give me a break.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

the creep asked the front desk where andrews was staying and requested to be put in the room next to her, and the dumb twits agreed !

that dumb ass hotel deserves what they get

Exactly.

And this isn't something that has to be exclusive to a celebrity. Your wife or daughter could check-in, some creep could see them, ask for a room next to them, and do whatever... hell, my wife took the trash out in our apartment complex years back, and 2 scum bags followed her back up to our unit. Knocked on the door. I answered with my foot braced behind the door, and a bat in my hand, because I happened to see them see her from the window. They said they were selling magazines. Didn't have any paperwork, or order-taking materials.

They were going to ******* assault her. 

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Exactly.

And this isn't something that has to be exclusive to a celebrity. Your wife or daughter could check-in, some creep could see them, ask for a room next to them, and do whatever... hell, my wife took the trash out in our apartment complex years back, and 2 scum bags followed her back up to our unit. Knocked on the door. I answered with my foot braced behind the door, and a bat in my hand, because I happened to see them see her from the window. They said they were selling magazines. Didn't have any paperwork, or order-taking materials.

They were going to ******* assault her. 

I'm not making light of the situation but nobody physically assaulted her.  And in the cases of actual physical assault how many victims get awarded anywhere close to $55 million in a civil case? 

OJ Simpson murdered 3 people and had to pay $25 million.  Not that $25 million isn't a ton of money but EA getting paid more than double the amount paid for 3 murders is absurd.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/11/us/jury-decides-simpson-must-pay-25-million-in-punitive-award.html?pagewanted=all

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not making light of the situation but nobody physically assaulted her.  And in the cases of actual physical assault how many victims get awarded anywhere close to $55 million in a civil case? 

OJ Simpson murdered 3 people and had to pay $25 million.  Not that $25 million isn't a ton of money but EA getting paid more than double the amount paid for 3 murders is absurd.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/11/us/jury-decides-simpson-must-pay-25-million-in-punitive-award.html?pagewanted=all

I didn't follow the case, but generally speaking, I don't care about the dollar amounts. It's like fans whelping about contracts here... ultimately, it's not my money and I don't give a ****.

If your point is that the legal system is bonkers, then yea, I agree. I had a former employer not pay all the employees with the CEO actually stealing from people's 401k's, and we see about $150 each from him each year... while he's out holding the same job now for other employers... the DA and courts have done almost nothing to help us, and we filed as a group against him. Meanwhile, a celebrity gets stalked and it's $55 million... the world is crazy.

Again though, good for her... and **** the sh*tbags of this world that make me worry about my wife and daughter every day.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I didn't follow the case, but generally speaking, I don't care about the dollar amounts. It's like fans whelping about contracts here... ultimately, it's not my money and I don't give a ****.

If your point is that the legal system is bonkers, then yea, I agree. I had a former employer not pay all the employees with the CEO actually stealing from people's 401k's, and we see about $150 each from him each year... while he's out holding the same job now for other employers... the DA and courts have done almost nothing to help us, and we filed as a group against him. Meanwhile, a celebrity gets stalked and it's $55 million... the world is crazy.

Again though, good for her... and **** the sh*tbags of this world that make me worry about my wife and daughter every day.

That was my point exactly.  I fully recognize EA was a completely innocent party in this whole thing.  I also don't blame her for trying to get as much as she could in court.  Just that it's crazy the courts would approve such an amount. The legal system is absolutely bonkers.

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

IMO, that scandal ruined Erin Andrews for me. I liked it when she was a reporter and not a celebrity. 

Nothing to do with the horrors of the ordeal, but that's just what I feel

I guess I don't really understand your point here.  As far as I'm concerned, she was famous for her looks.  The scandal didn't change how good looking she is.

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

OJ isn't a corporation with the finances they have.

but you'll feel better knowing that if OJ was ordered to to pay the same number it's means squat since he lives on a pension and it isn't allowed to be garnished.  

I just never get why a person has their life destroyed and we're blaming the legal system for holding the guilty party at fault.  As if she's happy and benefitted

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OJ isn't a corporation with the finances they have.

but you'll feel better knowing that if OJ was ordered to to pay the same number it's means squat since he lives on a pension and it isn't allowed to be garnished.  

So because they're a corporation the penalty should be much bigger? 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So because they're a corporation the penalty should be much bigger? 

Yes, that's the way it works. 

Better questions are why do you care, what price do you put on someone's life? 

And better yet, if this happened to your wife, mother or daughter would you be this twisted over someone else's money? 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, that's the way it works. 

Better questions are why do you care, what price do you put on someone's life? 

And better yet, if this happened to your wife, mother or daughter would you be this twisted over someone else's money? 

OJ murdered 3 people and had to pay $25M.  EA wasn't physically harmed but received $55M.  My point is not that EA is a bad person or deserved to be illegally taped like this.  Just that the court system is insane.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

OJ murdered 3 people and had to pay $25M.  EA wasn't physically harmed but received $55M.  My point is not that EA is a bad person or deserved to be illegally taped like this.  Just that the court system is insane.

You're not getting this.  First of all OJ wasn't convicted of killing anyone.  Secondly the civil case was how long ago, 20 years?  Whatever he was ordered to pay was worth a hell of a lot more than it is today.  Lastly they knew OJ would never pay a dime.  He has no income so I think he's paid something like 500,000 in total from assets. 

And you ignored what you think she should get and would you advocate a much lower figure if it were your family etc wronged. 

And are of the believe that you have to be physically harmed to be damaged and need fixing

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're not getting this.  First of all OJ wasn't convicted of killing anyone.  Secondly the civil case was how long ago?  Whatever he was ordered to pay was worth a hell of a lot more than it is today.  Lastly they knew OJ would never pay a dime.  He has no income.  

And you ignored what you think she should get and would you advocate a much lower figure if it were your family etc wronged. 

OJ was convicted of killing 3 people in civil court (where the burden of proof is lower).  Even if $25 M then were worth $55 M today, it still makes no sense that a triple murder would bring about the same monetary penalty as what the guy did to EA.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

OJ was convicted of killing 3 people in civil court (where the burden of proof is lower).  Even if $25 M then were worth $55 M today, it still makes no sense that a triple murder would bring about the same monetary penalty as what the guy did to EA.

He was convicted of wrongful death.  And it's not a criminal court.  

Youre not going to convince many people that she shouldn't be paid.  

And again, ignore,a,simple question.  You'd tell your mother, daughter, sister or wife that they should give back most of the money, it was no big deal, they don't deserve the money.  They weren't beaten or killed. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was convicted of wrongful death.  And it's not a criminal court.  

Youre not going to convince many people that she shouldn't be paid.  

And again, ignore,a,simple question.  You'd tell your mother, daughter, sister or wife that they should give back most of the money, it was no big deal, they don't deserve the money.  They weren't beaten or killed. 

I don't know what a fair number is but $55 M is an absurdly large number.  I bet non-famous people don't get anything like this (even in murder cases).

50 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

http://cdn1.theodysseyonline.com/files/2015/11/08/6358260362553923811237859510_tumblr_nkigyv8qZC1qdacjho1_250.gif

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know what a fair number is but $55 M is an absurdly large number.  I bet non-famous people don't get anything like this (even in murder cases).

Only thing her fame might influence is her earnings and potential earnings.

she was violated because of her fame.  

Archived