Erin Andrews Awarded $55 Million in Lawsuit

TuscanyTile2

55 mil is absurd.  She deserved something for the invasion of privacy but if I recall wasn't it just a grainy 2 second vid of her rack?  Meanwhile aren't there sites dedicated to catching beav shots of hot celebrities getting out of limos?

I mean if you're going to sell your sex appeal for years then I don't understand how you can be completely devastated when some perv objectifies you.  It's criminal but the guy did go to jail for over 2 years.  She needs 55 million too?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So it's fair that this case gets $55 M whereas a triple murder gets $25M?

Just now, Pac said:

55 mil is absurd.  She deserved something for the invasion of privacy but if I recall wasn't it just a grainy 2 second vid of her rack?  Meanwhile aren't there sites dedicated to catching beav shots of hot celebrities getting out of limos?

I mean if you're going to sell your sex appeal for years then I don't understand how you can be completely devastated when some perv objectifies you.  It's criminal but the guy did go to jail for over 2 years.  She needs 55 million too?

1cc8f664161ab43ecd3db1ab30e03e71-2.png

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You just don't get it, right.  The concept of 20 years passing or OJ not having money is lost on you.  Stop already

i hope it never happens to a female in your life, you'd make them give it back.  Lol

So because they're a corporation the penalty should be much bigger? 

OJ murdered 3 people and had to pay $25M.  EA wasn't physically harmed but received $55M.  My point is not that EA is a bad person or deserved to be illegally taped like this.  Just that the court system is insane.

These are "punitive damages", as opposed to actual damages. So I think the amount is set at whatever the jury feels will be sufficient to compel the defendant to never act this way again. This was a regional hotel group - I bet if Marriott owned and operated all of its hotels, it might have been $155M. I doubt think Andrews had a say in that, other than possibly to put a statement in. "Actual damages" would be where she would ask for an amount, showing lost wages, opportunities, etc.

13 minutes ago, isired said:

These are "punitive damages", as opposed to actual damages. So I think the amount is set at whatever the jury feels will be sufficient to compel the defendant to never act this way again. This was a regional hotel group - I bet if Marriott owned and operated all of its hotels, it might have been $155M. I doubt think Andrews had a say in that, other than possibly to put a statement in. "Actual damages" would be where she would ask for an amount, showing lost wages, opportunities, etc.

pain and suffering also compensatory meaning that the distinction doesn't matter so much in these types of cases

3 minutes ago, isired said:

So did Andrews ask for the $55M? There is no punitive aspect where the number is affected by the defendant's means?

99% of the time when you file a lawsuit (not including a commercial suit) you say "seeking at least $X" with X being the minimum among required to give whichever court you're filing in jurisdiction to hear the case. when it comes to a trial there are two schools of thought: whether to mention a number or not. Most people don't "ask" for a number but rather tug at the jury's heart strings by testifying how ruined this person's life is. And then maybe mentioning some other cases and big numbers or talking about how many hotels marriott has and how much the CEO made last year, etc. But if you ask a jury filled with bus drivers and nurses for $55 million, it might backfire. Better to let them make the general assumption that all businesses are money factories and marriott has trillions of dollars so "what's $55 million to them."  You just want them thinking big numbers, but asking for it, nah I don't generally do that. Fire the jury up, piss them off, they generally do the rest.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Pac said:

That's a lot of singles 

99% of the time when you file a lawsuit (not including a commercial suit) you say "seeking at least $X" with X being the minimum among required to give whichever court you're filing in jurisdiction to hear the case. when it comes to a trial there are two schools of thought: whether to mention a number or not. Most people don't "ask" for a number but rather tug at the jury's heart strings by testifying how ruined this person's life is. And then maybe mentioning some other cases and big numbers or talking about how many hotels marriott has and how much the CEO made last year, etc. But if you ask a jury filled with bus drivers and nurses for $55 million, it might backfire. Better to let them make the general assumption that all businesses are money factories and marriott has trillions of dollars so "what's $55 million to them."  You just want them thinking big numbers, but asking for it, nah I don't generally do that. Fire the jury up, piss them off, they generally do the rest.

Thanks for the info!

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

To me there is a huge problem w/ our legal system (assuming what you wrote actually is the case). 

1 minute ago, isired said:

Thanks for the info!

No worries but I am generally defending this kind of nonsense. I've taken a few plaintiff's cases pro bono. I should've been a plaintiff's lawyer it's easy work, if you can live with yourself. Which I could not because I think 99% of PI cases are straight up lawyer-manufactured trash.

47 minutes ago, Pac said:

Please tell me that if the Patriots ever get done for Spygate that the same rate of damages ($27.5 mil per second) will apply

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I guess I don't really understand your point here.  As far as I'm concerned, she was famous for her looks.  The scandal didn't change how good looking she is.

No but she became more well known amongst everybody. I remember when she was doing college sports at ESPN and she was kind of a cult figure that only sports watchers knew about

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It was an outrageous infiltration of privacy. No woman should be subjected to that regardless of what she looks like or if she wears short skirts to work. If it's true that the Marriott gave that nutjob her room number they should pay. Whether $55million is the "right" number or not, there is no "right" number. the hotel is lucky this psycho didn't murder her. She was right to sue and her lawyer did his job. Not like she was in a conference room saying "You WILL get me $55 million!" The jury is a "black box" like Mr. Fusion in back to the future. Pour a bunch of stuff in there and then wait to see what comes out. Hell 99% of the time you have to interview the jury to even get an idea about how they came up with the number to begin with.

• Upvote 1