Erin Andrews Awarded $55 Million in Lawsuit

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This woman has based her entire career on selling her sex appeal.  This verdict is ridiculous.

Why, because she's pretty? Should she wear a burka to be taken seriously? She's worked hard at what she does and oh by the way she's good at it.

You guys sit there talking about her looks, and at least half of you are home jerking off or married to slobs. Seriously this is a woman who's smart and earned everything in her career, could probably hold an all night conversation about sports better than anyone here, and oh by the way she's gorgeous. You people should all be cursed with daughters some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Mutt

Erin-Andrews.jpg

30 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Why, because she's pretty? Should she wear a burka to be taken seriously? She's worked hard at what she does and oh by the way she's good at it.

You guys sit there talking about her looks, and at least half of you are home jerking off or married to slobs. Seriously this is a woman who's smart and earned everything in her career, could probably hold an all night conversation about sports better than anyone here, and oh by the way she's gorgeous. You people should all be cursed with daughters some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burka, got it.

While she may have sports knowledge, if it was not wrapped up in in that particular packaging it would never have seen the light of day.  Did she deserve to be stalked by this nut job? No absolutely not.  Did she suffer $55 million worth of harm from this experience?  I doubt that very much.  Think of that the next time your hotel bill is artificially inflated to cover the costs of opportunistic lawsuits such as this one. 

47 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Burka, got it.

While she may have sports knowledge, if it was not wrapped up in in that particular packaging it would never have seen the light of day.  Did she deserve to be stalked by this nut job? No absolutely not.  Did she suffer $55 million worth of harm from this experience?  I doubt that very much.  Think of that the next time your hotel bill is artificially inflated to cover the costs of opportunistic lawsuits such as this one. 

Exactly.  Plus think about lost jobs (not necessarily people getting laid off.  Also people not hired) and lost raises for employees.  Not saying it all would've gone to that but some of that money would have. 

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Burka, got it.

So what bothers you more, that she's hot, has a job you believe she's not qualified for or that you don't think the crime was worth the payout? 

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Exactly.  Plus think about lost jobs (not necessarily people getting laid off.  Also people not hired) and lost raises for employees.  Not saying it all would've gone to that but some of that money would have. 

Exactly.  You're worried about lost jobs and think she really didn't have so much to complain about.

and yet you ignore over and over again the question.  Your mother, sister, daughter or wife go though this, you're giving the money back? 

Lol, can't even come close to answering the question.  

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Burka, got it.

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

http://i.imgur.com/nRzeDwD.gif

2 hours ago, jgb said:

You would've been an excellent defender of accused rapists in 1923.

But she deserved it.  Bitch dresses hot, on TV for a football audience, she was asking for it your honor.

What year is this?  50 what? 

I'm still waiting for the first person to admit he would feel horrible for a hotel chain and turn down a large settlement if his mom, sister, daughter or wife went through this ordeal. 

Because, you know, it wasn't that big a deal. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm still waiting for the first person to admit he would feel horrible for a hotel chain and turn down a large settlement if his mom, sister, daughter or wife went through this ordeal. 

Just straight up jealously. Was drinking with an Irish colleague and we were talking about these kind of big payouts and he said it would never happen in Ireland because the jurors would be way too envious to give out big bucks haha

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So what bothers you more, that she's hot, has a job you believe she's not qualified for or that you don't think the crime was worth the payout? 

I have no problem with her getting the job.  The market research folks at ESPN are very smart.  They know that the male audience will accept female sports reporters by and large only if they look like a runway model.  I am no exception to that rule.  I think the award size was way to much.  I think she only got that size award because of ther celebrity and her celebrity was hugely increased as a result of this episode.

I get a little annoyed at the hypocrisy of they sports reporters and female newscasters who can sometimes complain at the end of their careers that they are being moved aside (for sexist reasons) in favor of younger and prettier versions of themselves.  The reason it is hypocritical is that this is exactly how they got the job in the first place.

Candy Crowley at CNN is a notable exception to this rule.  There are a few others but they are as rare as hens teeth.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I have no problem with her getting the job.  The market research folks at ESPN are very smart.  They know that the male audience will accept female sports reporters by and large only if they look like a runway model.  I am no exception to that rule.  I think the award size was way to much.  I think she only got that size award because of ther celebrity and her celebrity was hugely increased as a result of this episode.

I get a little annoyed at the hypocrisy of they sports reporters and female newscasters who can sometimes complain at the end of their careers that they are being moved aside (for sexist reasons) in favor of younger and prettier versions of themselves.  The reason it is hypocritical is that this is exactly how they got the job in the first place.

Candy Crowley at CNN is a notable exception to this rule.  There are a few others but they are as rare as hens teeth.

Linda Cohn, Robin Roberts, Hannah Storm, Suzy Kolber, Pam Oliver, Michelle Tafoya???  Maybe if you'd stop being a Neanderthal for a moment you'd realize she is incredibly talented as a sports reporter, and happens to be good looking. 

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

you realize it was a jury that decided the amount, right. people like you and me. regular joes. so not sure what you're raging against.

12 hours ago, Pac said:

55 mil is absurd.  She deserved something for the invasion of privacy but if I recall wasn't it just a grainy 2 second vid of her rack?  Meanwhile aren't there sites dedicated to catching beav shots of hot celebrities getting out of limos?

I mean if you're going to sell your sex appeal for years then I don't understand how you can be completely devastated when some perv objectifies you.  It's criminal but the guy did go to jail for over 2 years.  She needs 55 million too?

this sounds an awful lot like someone saying " did you see the way she was dressed? she was asking to be raped",imo

First of all, the jury found that the videographer was 51% negligent. EA will never collect from this guy, as I am sure he does not have the money.

Marriott was found to be 49% negligent. What I am sure the jury is telling Marriott is what they did was careless, intrusive and potentially dangerous. The jury is setting a precedent in being punitive so that others may take heed and learn this lesson.

I am glad my wife does not travel much. But knowing that this can happen is particularly dangerous. Marriott deserves to be punished in a large manner

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nobody would turn down the money. That's not my point though (which clearly you weren't paying attention to).  My point is how effed up the court system is to allow such a ludicrous penalty.  Again there are murder cases involving non-famous people that don't come anywhere close to this number.  Even OJ only had to pay $25M for 3 murders.   

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  You're worried about lost jobs and think she really didn't have so much to complain about.

and yet you ignore over and over again the question.  Your mother, sister, daughter or wife go though this, you're giving the money back? 

Lol, can't even come close to answering the question.  

My issue is with the court system.  

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nobody would turn down the money. That's not my point though (which clearly you weren't paying attention to).  My point is how effed up the court system is to allow such a ludicrous penalty.  Again there are murder cases involving non-famous people that don't come anywhere close to this number.  Even OJ only had to pay $25M for 3 murders.   

Ok I give up other then his ex wife and Ron Goldman who was the 3rd victim?? EA will never see 55 million the main damage the guy did was posting the pic's on the internet of her ironing naked..

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You're not getting this.  First of all OJ wasn't convicted of killing anyone.  Secondly the civil case was how long ago, 20 years?  Whatever he was ordered to pay was worth a hell of a lot more than it is today.  Lastly they knew OJ would never pay a dime.  He has no income so I think he's paid something like 500,000 in total from assets. 

And you ignored what you think she should get and would you advocate a much lower figure if it were your family etc wronged. 

And are of the believe that you have to be physically harmed to be damaged and need fixing

OJ was convicted in civil court (which has a lower burden of proof).  

You think $25M then is equivalent to $55M now?  I know we've had a lot of price inflation but not quite that much (at least not yet but I know the federal reserve is working on destroying the USD).  Even if so, OJ killed 3 people.  Erin Andrews wasn't physically harmed.  You really think these cases are even REMOTELY comparable?  

As for how much does she deserve, I don't know.  I'd have to look at precedents from other cases.  Also I can safely say that $55M is an absurdly large number that is an absolute joke.  I feel bad for EA and I absolutely don't blame her for going for the $$ but this judgment is an absolute travesty. 

14 hours ago, Larz said:

the creep asked the front desk where andrews was staying and requested to be put in the room next to her, and the dumb twits agreed !

that dumb ass hotel deserves what they get

A hotel desk clerk in Tennessee. This sounds just about right -- Southern hospitality and all.  Keep the guests happy.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

OJ was convicted in civil court (which has a lower burden of proof).  

You think $25M then is equivalent to $55M now?  I know we've had a lot of price inflation but not quite that much (at least not yet but I know the federal reserve is working on destroying the USD).  Even if so, OJ killed 3 people.  Erin Andrews wasn't physically harmed.  You really think these cases are even REMOTELY comparable?  

As for how much does she deserve, I don't know.  I'd have to look at precedents from other cases.  Also I can safely say that $55M is an absurdly large number that is an absolute joke.  I feel bad for EA and I absolutely don't blame her for going for the $$ but this judgment is an absolute travesty. 

Punishing an individual is different than punishing a mega-corporation. Jury's are going to look to create a more harsh punishment for a corporation that has the assets to make the judgement more punitive. 

People are harping on the $55 million number, but the reality is Andrews will get just a small fraction of it.

Fifty one percent comes from the pervert who video taped her.  This guy has no significant wealth, and she'll be lucky to get anything from him.

Forty nine percent comes from Marriott's insurance policy.  Since this is a non-physical injury settlement, it is taxable and will be taxed at around forty percent.

We're already down to $10 million before any court and lawyer fees are even taken into consideration.  That huge $55 million dollar award will end up being in the single digit millions.

She deserves every penny.

The jury obviously felt that they needed to send a message to Marriott that they have to do a better job with guest security and privacy even within franchised locations. That's how you get those kinds of punitives. It isn't about looking at the exact harm suffered by the plaintiff but the risk the defendant's negligent conduct poses to the rest of society. The benefit of that kind of verdict is that it doesn't just send a message to Marriott but to all hotel operators.

11 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The jury obviously felt that they needed to send a message to Marriott that they have to do a better job with guest security and privacy even within franchised locations. That's how you get those kinds of punitives. It isn't about looking at the exact harm suffered by the plaintiff but the risk the defendant's negligent conduct poses to the rest of society. The benefit of that kind of verdict is that it doesn't just send a message to Marriott but to all hotel operators.

This sounds most reasonable.  But still cant help but think the next guy to see her naked have to thinks to himself, "55 million for this?, really?"

51 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

People are harping on the $55 million number, but the reality is Andrews will get just a small fraction of it.

Fifty one percent comes from the pervert who video taped her.  This guy has no significant wealth, and she'll be lucky to get anything from him.

Forty nine percent comes from Marriott's insurance policy.  Since this is a non-physical injury settlement, it is taxable and will be taxed at around forty percent.

We're already down to $10 million before any court and lawyer fees are even taken into consideration.  That huge $55 million dollar award will end up being in the single digit millions.

She deserves every penny.

i think your right. a perv video tapes an average person and posts it on the web, well thats bad but you really cant put a name to a face. a perv does that to someone in the spot light, it takes on a totally different meaning. at the end of the day, that 55m turns into less than 10m. marriott got off light

Archived