Jets in Danger of Losing Linebacker, Henderson?

JetNation

IMG_0657

By Glenn Naughton

As if the New York Jets didn’t have enough holes to fill on their roster, it appears one player Gang Green was hoping to retain could be generating interest from a team with far greater financial resources to pry him away from New York.

Connor Hughes of USA Today is reporting that the Oakland Raiders are expected to show interest in veteran inside linebacker Erin Henderson who outplayed fellow linebacker Demario Davis last season.

With the Jets expected to allow linebacker Demario Davis to depart via free agency, losing out on Henderson would force them to look elsewhere for another starter at the position despite having what was once viewed as a “safe bet” in Henderson to return.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
c7GiqS7_jtw

Click here to read the full story...

3 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

It's ok.    We have Mo, we don't need any other players. 

But really, we gave this guy his only shot.  You would think he would be thankful a little.  

FA hasn't even begun. He's just seeing what's out there, just like the Jets are going to see what's out there.

Curious to hear if Brick renegotiates and if today is the day Breno and Cumby get released.

13 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I just can't understand why cuts were not made last week so we could sign players like Henderson last week. 

We did not need to wait till FA to sign our own players.   See Fitz. 

I doubt it's the case that we have to cut others to make room. More likely we've made a fair offer, player & his agent think he's worth more.

The other option is to overpay to keep guys from talking to other teams. Do you want to overpay for Erin Henderson?

With all these players on their way out, I don't see Mo coming back either. I love Mo, but our last years lavish FA spending is biting us in the ass pretty badly. I called out Mac for spending too much n people called me crazy here. 

Mo needs to be traded so we can hopefully get a couple of draft picks n cap space. 

33 minutes ago, j4jets said:

With all these players on their way out, I don't see Mo coming back either. I love Mo, but our last years lavish FA spending is biting us in the ass pretty badly. I called out Mac for spending too much n people called me crazy here. 

Mo needs to be traded so we can hopefully get a couple of draft picks n cap space. 

He needed to spend the money. The NFL rules forced him to

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I just can't understand why cuts were not made last week so we could sign players like Henderson last week. 

We have what I believe to be one of the best Gm's and Head Coaches in the entire NFL.  They know exactly what their doing. Enjoy the ride!

Over reaction! None of our free agents are guys you just can't lose.

That's why they are free agents. Snacks? Love him. Guess what? The team signing him to the largest NT salary ever soon do not already have Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson & Leonard Williams like the Jets do. Jets might end up with a cheap older veteran NT (with this line he'd be asked to MAYBE play 50% of the snaps. You never know once all the money dries up.

I'm not losing sleep over Bilal Powell, Erin Henderson or even Chris Ivory. Look at those 3, you really think this is the end of the world? Macs doing the right things, not over paying for RBs, NTs, I'm sure they are talking to Dbrick about retiring a Jet & reworking his contract for the last time. The 1st wave of free agency is always crazy & I doubt we're involved with any TOP NAMES. We made that splash last year. This team has 6 picks & a little money to fix the LBs & restock the Oline, add a few new RBs. 

I put my Raiderholic hat on and do an evaluation of Henderson.  With the Jets, a low cost jag with little upside and character concerns.    If rumored to be going to the Raiders, young guy with lots of potential that will be a nice fit.  If he signs with the Raiders, PRO BOWL!

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I was thinking this too, but Joe Caporoso made a good point on twitter last night. Jets won't restructure anyone until they have to. The team might have agreements in place already with Brick and others, but the team won't pull the trigger until they have to make the space. 

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I was thinking this too, but Joe Caporoso made a good point on twitter last night. Jets won't restructure anyone until they have to. The team might have agreements in place already with Brick and others, but the team won't pull the trigger until they have to make the space. 

Agents are scumbags, and they know exactly how much money these teams have to play with. The day an agent does what's best for his client (put him in a postion to have the best chance of success) will be a 1st. How many free agent busts have there been over the last few years?

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I put my Raiderholic hat on and do an evaluation of Henderson.  With the Jets, a low cost jag with little upside and character concerns.    If rumored to be going to the Raiders, young guy with lots of potential that will be a nice fit.  If he signs with the Raiders, PRO BOWL!

EXPLOSIVE Pro Bowl!!! :D 

29 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Harrison....Powell....now this Henderson guy.....Doth the league haveth any mercyeth in their hearts for the Jets?!?!?

All we need is a QB and Mo, so what does it matter?  :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

All we need is a QB and Mo, so what does it matter?  :rolleyes:

All? Those guys are lame, all they do is handcuff the Jets and trap our lord, Woody, into salaries that might put a dent into his inheritance. Guys like Powell, Henderson, and Harrison are so vital and so good at what they do that individually they earned rests as often as for 78.46% of the possible O or D snaps. These guys are vital players, the kind of players who prop up a franchise playing for the love of the game, country, and their fellow men unlike certain people! 

Sucks when you draft above average players but have to pay them like the greatest. When you watch a team like Seattle, you see a guy like Bennett literally change the balance of power up front. Same with Watt. Difference is Seattle has a QB & Houston doesn't. If trading Mo lands us a QB it's 100% worth it. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

All? Those guys are lame, all they do is handcuff the Jets and trap our lord, Woody, into salaries that might put a dent into his inheritance. Guys like Powell, Henderson, and Harrison are so vital and so good at what they do that individually they earned rests as often as for 78.46% of the possible O or D snaps. These guys are vital players, tte kind of players who prop up a franchise playing for the love of the game, country, and their fellow men unlike certain people! 

I can't believe you actually responded to my sarcastic post.  Why bother, dude?  Can't you tell when someone is not being serious?  Everyone here knows your position because you've repeated yourself about 10,000 times over the past 2 weeks. You're a freaking squawking parrot.   I guess you think that every time you repeat your same ol' contentions that it actually makes them better arguments.  Good luck with that.

Just now, Jetster said:

Sucks when you draft above average players but have to pay them like the greatest. When you watch a team like Seattle, you see a guy like Bennett literally change the balance of power up front. Same with Watt. Difference is Seattle has a QB & Houston doesn't. If trading Mo lands us a QB it's 100% worth it. 

as amazing as watt is, he is still highly dependent on qb play to advance in the playoffs.  i think pauline wrote that the jets have been heavily scouting qbs all year and with good reason, the same reason they're not rushing to overpay fitz.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

as amazing as watt is, he is still highly dependent on qb play to advance in the playoffs.  i think pauline wrote that the jets have been heavily scouting qbs all year and with good reason, the same reason they're not rushing to overpay fitz.  

Agreed. Until the Texans get a QB they'll continue to suck. They just got to play in one of the worst divisions in football. Put Jets in that division & we have a home playoff game last year.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I can't believe you actually responded to my sarcastic post.  Why bother, dude?  Can't you tell when someone is not being serious?  Everyone here knows your position because you've repeated yourself about 10,000 times over the past 2 weeks. You're a freaking squawking parrot.   I guess you think that every time you repeat your same ol' contentions that it actually makes them better arguments.  Good luck with that.

Let me ask...If wretches like QBs and Wilkerson are all that is needed, why did the JETSs choose those other players to lead them to 10 victories as the QB and Wilkerson focused more on their next contract than making the playoffs? These three players represent ultimate value, the kind of value rarely seen in th NFL. If the JETS don't understand that then damn them to hell! You and I know, in our heart of hearts, we can feel it with our guts and a honed instinct for victory and value. 

Just now, Jetster said:

Agreed. Until the Texans get a QB they'll continue to suck. They just got to play in one of the worst divisions in football. Put Jets in that division & we have a home playoff game last year.

it's nice to have a very analytical, methodical gm who isn't afraid to make big decisions.  and i think his BAP philosophy in last year's draft was a bit overblown b/c leonard williams, arguably the highest rated player (at least, non-qb) in the draft, fell to him at 6 and the value was just too good.  i think, picking 20, we will see a draft focused more on need and BAP.  the leonard williams pick was a fluke.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's nice to have a very analytical, methodical gm who isn't afraid to make big decisions.  and i think his BAP philosophy in last year's draft was a bit overblown b/c leonard williams, arguably the highest rated player (at least, non-qb) in the draft, fell to him at 6 and the value was just too good.  i think, picking 20, we will see a draft focused more on need and BAP.  the leonard williams pick was a fluke.  

Damn right. Skins going Oline was a shocker, I guarantee you Jets weren't ready for that. Funny like you said how much credit Mac got for going BPA with Williams, lol, my god, most scouts had him top 3 in the draft. Had he gotten cute & taken someone else ESPN would have exploded. I'm sure they got offers but I bet they were back to far & just weren't good enough.

You or I could have made that pick, but like you said, let see him hit on 20 or trade out and make this team better. Smith in 2nd isn't looking all that great but I'm not giving up on him yet. 

Just now, Jetster said:

Damn right. Skins going Oline was a shocker, I guarantee you Jets weren't ready for that. Funny like you said how much credit Mac got for going BPA with Williams, lol, my god, most scouts had him top 3 in the draft. Had he gotten cute & taken someone else ESPN would have exploded. I'm sure they got offers but I bet they were back to far & just weren't good enough.

You or I could have made that pick, but like you said, let see him hit on 20 or trade out and make this team better. Smith in 2nd isn't looking all that great but I'm not giving up on him yet. 

i think this draft will be pretty boring for the jets.  OL, OLB, RB.  nothing fancy, just addressing needs with value picks.  

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Yes they did, there are spending level's that teams have to reach every two years of the CBA.  Jags hit there's last year and will have to hit it again next year.

I'm well aware of the spending requirement. Teams had to spend 89 of cap in cash between 2013-2016. Four year period. Jets needed to spend about $120 mil in cash last year n this year. Revis, Cro, Gilchrist n Skrine alone counted over $80 million in cash for 2015-2016. But if Jets didn't sign Cro, we would've had an extra $8mil this year to spend. If we didn't sign Skrine last year, we would have had an extra $12+ mil this year. This is not a hindsight opinion. I said the  same thing last year. 

Archived