Jaguars agree to terms with Chris Ivory

Shockwave

Jaguars agreed to terms with RB Chris Ivory, formerly of the Jets.

This one comes out of left field. T.J. Yeldon was the 36th pick in last year's draft, but the Jaguars don't necessarily view him as a 20-plus touch-per-game back. Yeldon rarely got opportunities in the red zone as a rookie, with the Jaguars instead opting to go pass-heavy inside the 20-yard line or give looks to fringe RBs Toby Gerhart, Shoelace Robinson, and Jonas Gray. Ivory projects to now handle scoring-position work in a timeshare with Yeldon, who averaged 4.1 YPC as a rookie. Yeldon also battled a couple of nagging injuries, including a sprained MCL. Ivory hasn't had health on his side in his career, either, but is a downhill power runner for OC Greg Olson.

This is likely in the 6-7m dollar range. Could be a 4th round comp pick. 

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Trade 4th rounder for Ivory. Get three decent years out of him. Let some other dumbass team hand him $20m guaranteed. Recoup 4th rounder as a comp pick.

Progress.

Now we just need to figure out the draft.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

As long as we don't sign a comparable FA ourselves. Snacks could warrant a 3rd, Ivory a 4th, Fitzy a 3rd(Dependent on # years) 

I don't know the formula but for some reason I thought I remembered reading that you only comp picks for your draft picks, not players brought it in via FA or trade.   Could be wrong through.  

48 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Trade 4th rounder for Ivory. Get three decent years out of him. Let some other dumbass team hand him $20m guaranteed. Recoup 4th rounder as a comp pick.

Progress.

The genius of John Joseph Idzik junior.

27 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I don't know the formula but for some reason I thought I remembered reading that you only comp picks for your draft picks, not players brought it in via FA or trade.   Could be wrong through.  

No you get them for any fa you lose in a complex formula that takes into account who you lose, who you sign and the salary level and playing time and such.  The way things are going so far I can see us having near the max comp picks next year which is 4 I believe.

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

Compensatory Picks:

• These picks are determined at the league's annual meeting before the draft and are given to teams that in the previous year's free agency period have lost more or better free agent players than they gained.
  • This highly confidential formula, created by the NFL Management Council, is based on players' salaries, playing time, post-season awards, and the net amount of free agents lost versus free agents signed.
  • The maximum amount of picks any team can gain is 4 and they can not be traded [beginning in 2017.].

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2560814-chris-ivory-to-sign-with-jaguars-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

Mehta states Idzik was pivotal - I know it's Mehta but he's one of the only sources we get.

GM Caldwell is a young guy like Macagnan and has 17 years of NFL scouting experience with his last 4 being Director of Scouting for the falcons.  It makes sense that he needs a number cruncher like Idzik to help with the financials, cap and contracts.  They'd be fools to allow Idzik anywhere near personnel.   

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

GM Caldwell is a young guy like Macagnan and has 17 years of NFL scouting experience with his last 4 being Director of Scouting for the falcons.  It makes sense that he needs a number cruncher like Idzik to help with the financials, cap and contracts.  They'd be fools to allow Idzik anywhere near personnel.   

Idzik really did make Chris Ivory's career.  I'm sure Caldwell targeted Ivory, intuitively you think he'd put Idzik front and center in the welcome wagon, but i agree, Idzik is an awful scout type, good consultant.

I liked Ivory, but he served his purpose here. It was fun. He was injury prone, and was bottled up/shut down in some games, as well as injury prone... Not a true #1 back that could play all downs. So the compensation picks. Do we get them for this years draft or next years?

8 minutes ago, First_Blood said:

I liked Ivory, but he served his purpose here. It was fun. He was injury prone, and was bottled up/shut down in some games, as well as injury prone... Not a true #1 back that could play all downs. So the compensation picks. Do we get them for this years draft or next years?

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

This is likely in the 6-7m dollar range. Could be a 4th round comp pick. 

Excellent news. Comp pick can be  4th rounder. Snacks n Fitz will net us a 3rd each. If Mac can play his cards right, we can have a really good collection of picks next year. If we sign players that were cut, we'll be in good shape. Otherwise most of our FAs losses will net out against the FAs we pick up. 

Dumb teams continue to dumb things!!!  Thanks Ivory for the three
hard running years BUT 6 million for a guy who is ALWAYS nicked 
up???  I look forward to the compensatory pick in the 3rd or 4th
round

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Progress.

Walked into the office this morning and repeated the exact same thing to all the drooling Jags fans that thought they just signed Earl Campbell. 

One of the few trades that worked 360 for the Jets.

Thanks IDZIK!

Their GM & HC have been there for 3+ years so I'm sure they're in full "paranoia" mode now (win

or get fired).  They still have 65+ million in cap space so I'm not going to be shocked if Wilkerson

ends up down there for a #2 & #4

22 minutes ago, KRL said:

Their GM & HC have been there for 3+ years so I'm sure they're in full "paranoia" mode now (win

or get fired).  They still have 65+ million in cap space so I'm not going to be shocked if Wilkerson

ends up down there for a #2 & #4

the jets couldn't stand to lose both snacks and mo, so that deal would have to go down soon - before harrison is gone.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Walked into the office this morning and repeated the exact same thing to all the drooling Jags fans that thought they just signed Earl Campbell. 

One of the few trades that worked 360 for the Jets.

Thanks IDZIK!

Maybe.  But it depends on Ivory's contract, playing time and performance.  Jets fans should hope he gets tons of carries and does well.

How is he going to get more than half the snaps with Yeldon on the roster?  IIRC, a player who gets less than half the snaps is going to yield a piss poor comp pick.

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets couldn't stand to lose both snacks and mo, so that deal would have to go down soon - before harrison is gone.

Maccagnan's "inactivity" is too fishy to me.  He could've made 4-5 simple re-structures / cuts to free up another 10 -

12 million in cap space.  It feels like he's waiting for the new league to start before he pulls the Wilkerson trade which

would trigger the rest of our moves

Just now, KRL said:

Maccagnan's "inactivity" is too fishy to me.  He could've made 4-5 simple re-structures / cuts to free up another 10 -

12 million in cap space.  It feels like he's waiting for the new league to start before he pulls the Wilkerson trade which

would trigger the rest of our moves

this isn't an idzik or tanny thing where you don't really know if they 'get' the football ops side.  mccags came from there, and did it great last year.  i think a lot of us here are weighing the jets history with who we think mccags is as a gm, and are wondering when something will happen.  there have been no leaks, and nothing surprising yet.  ivory kinda stunk the 2nd half of the season and the jags overpaid.  but this is bound to happen when you keep increasing the cap, teams keep most of their good players and there's just too many FA dollars out there and not enough quality players worthy of the $$.  teams like jax and oak will ultimately re-sign their qbs to top dollar and then they'll have to be thrifty as well.

Archived