Jets Ink Forte

BroadwayJets

21 minutes ago, darook said:

so is this deal good and why?  love to hear what people think now that #'s are revealed

Hard to find anything negative about it.  Shorter and cheaper deal than what Ivory got.  

Perfect length and cost to be main RB for couple years while grooming some young RB.

Ivory has more power, but that's about it. Forte is an upgrade in every other area.  Including health.  And isn't exactly a weak runner himself.

Gotta love the deal.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hard to find anything negative about it.  Shorter and cheaper deal than what Ivory got.  

Perfect length and cost to be main RB for couple years while grooming some young RB.

Ivory has more power, but that's about it. Forte is an upgrade in every other area.  Including health.  And isn't exactly a weak runner himself.

Gotta love the deal.

Yeah, my thought as well.  And we have no guaranteed $$$$ after 2017, so we can cut then.  Let's hope he stays healthy.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Except when he's not. Longest run is not an indicator of who is faster. Dumb argument, have it with yourself. 

At this stage, he's not faster than Ivory.  Forte-Powell-Robinson is fine, and may even be better than last year's group, but Ivory had some breakaway speed.  None of these guys do.

11 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

At this stage, he's not faster than Ivory.  Forte-Powell-Robinson is fine, and may even be better than last year's group, but Ivory had some breakaway speed.  None of these guys do.

Could be true, though I'd probably still put money on Forte in the 40 vs Ivory.

But if Fitz is re-signed, Devin Smith is useless as a WR.  Let's make him a RB.

53 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Like I explained above, speed is relative. Forte makes the offense faster because he's going to create matchup advantages to exploit in the passing game against LBers that Ivory couldn't create. That makes the offense faster.

I don't really care about the fraction of a second that Ivory may be faster in straight-line speed, or your perception that he is. It's about as irrelevant as the bench press. 

What matters in today's NFL are matchups. Forte creates more favorable matchups than Ivory ever did... and in the meantime, we can find a guy to run into the pile 12 times a game for a lot cheaper than Ivory.

Your argument on this is irrelevant. Enjoy your afternoon.

44 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Could be true, though I'd probably still put money on Forte in the 40 vs Ivory.

But if Fitz is re-signed, Devin Smith is useless as a WR.  Let's make him a RB.

If Devin Smith doesn't get better at the game of football than he was last year, he's going to be useless no matter who the QB is.

He was soft as they come last year.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If Devin Smith doesn't get better at the game of football than he was last year, he's going to be useless no matter who the QB is.

He was soft as they come last year.

Aw cmon, take it easy on the kid.  Supposedly WR is one of the harder positions to adjust to in the NFL.  Smith missed camp and preseason with an injury right?  Plus had noodle-arm ruining his strength.  I think the guy will be good.  If he can stay healthy of course.

To reach his full potential though, he may have to find a team that has a QB with a decent arm.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Aw cmon, take it easy on the kid.  Supposedly WR is one of the harder positions to adjust to in the NFL.  Smith missed camp and preseason with an injury right?  Plus had noodle-arm ruining his strength.  I think the guy will be good.  If he can stay healthy of course.

To reach his full potential though, he may have to find a team that has a QB with a decent arm.

To avoid making this super-duper-armed QB not look like a bust, he's going to have to learn how to fight for the ball, how to get off the line, and how to run his routes.

I suppose it was Fitz's fault that he couldn't even play special teams right on top of everything else he sucked at.

I want him to develop, but the narrative that Fitzy's arm was the only thing that stood between Devin and greatness is absurd nonsense from the portion of our fanbase that doesn't actually watch football.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I want him to develop, but the narrative that Fitzy's arm was the only thing that stood between Devin and greatness is absurd nonsense from the portion of our fanbase that doesn't actually watch football.

Agreed.  Though I haven't seen anyone say that.  The biggest thing was him getting injured and missing his first camp n preseason.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Agreed.  Though I haven't seen anyone say that.  The biggest thing was him getting injured and missing his first camp n preseason.

It was said a lot over the course of the first few games of this past season... a LOT.

Just now, Mike135 said:

It's most definitely a huge issue, but the injury was bigger I believe.

Eh, I put together a really solid piece that showcased the actual value of the "deep ball" vs. the perceived value of it. Ironically, in part of the stats, Fitzpatrick actually got good marks for deep passing. 

By and large, it's a part of the offense that is nice to have, but is totally misunderstood by fans and over-valued. 

I'd love Fitz to have a stronger arm, but not for the deep passes... more for those shorter throws that he thinks he can thread a needle on... those are the ones that get dangerous more often. He's got the gunslinging mentality of Favre, without the rifle to put it into tight spots. The deep passes are whatever... 2-3 a game, to keep defenses honest. Not that big a deal, the early game incompletions that kill drives and put out defense on the field too much, too early... that's a more relevant gripe.

So, in the end, the crowd that likes to whine about Fitz doesn't even whine about the right flaw in his game. It takes someone that loved having him here to point it out.

Oh, Jets fans.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Love it.  This is exactly who I wanted them to sign.  Still very productive and an absolute monster out of the backfield.  As much as the Bears love Langford, Forte out performed him in every metric when healthy.

I'd still look to resign Powell. 

This !

I was calling for Forte as well and he is the perfect fit. Now we can get Fitz signed and boost up the defense in the draft and be ready to contend

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

To avoid making this super-duper-armed QB not look like a bust, he's going to have to learn how to fight for the ball, how to get off the line, and how to run his routes.

I suppose it was Fitz's fault that he couldn't even play special teams right on top of everything else he sucked at.

funny thing is Fitz threw some of his better deep balls to Smith and he either dropped the ball or made zero adjustment to make a catch Im not holding my breath with Smith I think he's a horrible receiver who made inferior college talent look bad but can't seem to hack it at the NFL level.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Eh, I put together a really solid piece that showcased the actual value of the "deep ball" vs. the perceived value of it. Ironically, in part of the stats, Fitzpatrick actually got good marks for deep passing. 

By and large, it's a part of the offense that is nice to have, but is totally misunderstood by fans and over-valued. 

I'd love Fitz to have a stronger arm, but not for the deep passes... more for those shorter throws that he thinks he can thread a needle on... those are the ones that get dangerous more often. He's got the gunslinging mentality of Favre, without the rifle to put it into tight spots. The deep passes are whatever... 2-3 a game, to keep defenses honest. Not that big a deal, the early game incompletions that kill drives and put out defense on the field too much, too early... that's a more relevant gripe.

So, in the end, the crowd that likes to whine about Fitz doesn't even whine about the right flaw in his game. It takes someone that loved having him here to point it out.

Oh, Jets fans.

You seem to assuming a lot.  First that I only believed Devin's main hurdle was Fitz's noodle-arm.  And now that I over value the deep ball.

The deep ball is overrated, but is still definitely important.  Keeps defenses honest.  Devin was like college's best deep ball guy, so that is why he was drafted.  While he does have to develop the rest of him game, there are two great preferable options ahead of him for the midrange stuff.  

Marshall and Decker help Fitz a ton.  Big dudes who can fight with and go over coverage for the weak off-target throws.

If we can add a legit deep threat to this offense (even if it's not used much), defenses are screwed. 

Just now, Mike135 said:

You seem to assuming a lot.  First that I only believed Devin's main hurdle was Fitz's noodle-arm.  And now that I over value the deep ball.

The deep ball is overrated, but is still definitely important.  Keeps defenses honest.  Devin was like college's best deep ball guy, so that is why he was drafted.  While he does have to develop the rest of him game, there are two great preferable options ahead of him for the midrange stuff.  

Marshall and Decker help Fitz a ton.  Big dudes who can fight with and go over coverage for the weak off-target throws.

If we can add a legit deep threat to this offense (even if it's not used much), defenses are screwed. 

I was talking to you about the prior arguments that have been made. I didn't assume which side of the arguments you are on, because I don't care. Just backfilling you with what's already been hashed over, since your other post made it sound like you may not have been on the site when this was all going down.

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I was talking to you about the prior arguments that have been made. I didn't assume which side of the arguments you are on, because I don't care. Just backfilling you with what's already been hashed over, since your other post made it sound like you may not have been on the site when this was all going down.

Cool.  Though from what I've seen most Jet fans aren't idiots.  They don't misunderstand much.  Most of them anyway.

Different opinions, sure.  But they tend to be fairly informed.  Otherwise they'd be Giant fans.

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Cool.  Though from what I've seen most Jet fans aren't idiots.  They don't misunderstand much.  Most of them anyway.

Different opinions, sure.  But they tend to be fairly informed.  Otherwise they'd be Giant fans.

Jets fans are among the most knowledgeable fans in the NFL.  

Except for some of the ones who call in to Francessa.  They are embarrassments.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived