Jets Rumored to be Interested in Kaepernick

Jetfan13

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Paradis said:

can you show me your position, explicitly?

My position on what? I think it is INSANE to trade a high draft pick, and pay a guy like Kap a ton of money. I don't think he is any good. Once the league figured him out, he was exposed as a gimmick QB who could not counter the adjustments made. Once teams forced him to throw the ball, he showed he was terribly inaccurate, and had very little understanding of how to play the QB position in the NFL. If he could be picked up for a 7th, and paid $3-$5mil, sure, give him a shot, to trade a premium draft pick, for a team that has so many wholes to fill with aging vets all over the place, on a very, very low probability guy like Kap is how you continue to fail.

My position on what? I think it is INSANE to trade a high draft pick, and pay a guy like Kap a ton of money. I don't think he is any good. Once the league figured him out, he was exposed as a gimmick QB who could not counter the adjustments made. Once teams forced him to throw the ball, he showed he was terribly inaccurate, and had very little understanding of how to play the QB position in the NFL. If he could be picked up for a 7th, and paid $3-$5mil, sure, give him a shot, to trade a premium draft pick, for a team that has so many wholes to fill with aging vets all over the place, on a very, very low probability guy like Kap is how you continue to fail.

Thanks but I'm talking about what you think the prudent thing in our situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

What do you think Kaep's upside potential would be in a Gailey offense?

All Kaep needs is some discipline, something that Gailey would provide.

Resigning Fitz will set the Jets back 2-3 years.

Set back the Jets?  Dude we havent sniffed the playoffs since Rex first two years.  Signing Fitz will keep us exactly where we are at.  A entertaining team to watch with a spunky QB that is fun to watch most Sundays.  Never sniffing the playoffs.  Dont see how that is setting us back.  Actually its an improvement from a couple years ago.  Not sure on Kaep to be honest.  Dont know enough about him to make a very good opinion.  I will tell you this... If I could pay the same for both I would take Kaep just for the potential upside and his age.  Fitz in my opinion is what he is.  Kaep may do well with a change of perspective. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Thanks but I'm talking about what you think the prudent thing in our situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the prudent thing to do is try to sign Fitz for a reasonable amount, something in the range of $8-$10mil for one year, with an out for next year. Continue to devleop Petty, draft another QB and develop him too, keep drafting and developing QB's until you get one, sign competent vets to hold the fort until one of the QB's works out. Its not rocket science, you don't find a QB by trading high draft picks for other teams backups.

22 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Kaepernick stinks as a passer.  Huge windup and hitch and he's inaccurate.  And word is that he's a scumbag as a person.

Young guy who made a lot of money and went to the SB. He has great parents who took him on early in life. I am quite sure that there are people who question your character. He has had a better career than Fitz. Facts are stubborn things

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I think the prudent thing to do is try to sign Fitz for a reasonable amount, something in the range of $8-$10mil for one year, with an out for next year. Continue to devleop Petty, draft another QB and develop him too, keep drafting and developing QB's until you get one, sign competent vets to hold the fort until one of the QB's works out. Its not rocket science, you don't find a QB by trading high draft picks for other teams backups.

Well then in the same boat as the rest of us. I wouldn't give a 2nd or a 3rd for Colin... but it's still an option. Every argument (non-trade compensation) against Colin from a performance standpoint, could be thrown at Fitz... 

I personally believe that we're going to draft a QB, and I pray it's Lynch. The best case scenario for us is of course continuity with Fitz as a starter and mentor. But with costs associated, it's not automatic. 

8 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Young guy who made a lot of money and went to the SB. He has great parents who took him on early in life. I am quite sure that there are people who question your character. He has had a better career than Fitz. Facts are stubborn things

He's a 29 year old with some of the worst/most awkward throwing mechanics that you'll ever see.  He's not a natural passer.  Someone made him a QB because he can throw the ball 90 mph.  

And that 49ers team was already good without him.  If I'm not mistaken, they were in the NFCCG the year before.  He gave them a little more than Alex Smith.  Not impressed.

Fitzpatrick is better and it's not even close.

He's a 29 year old with some of the worst/most awkward throwing mechanics that you'll ever see.  He's not a natural passer.  Someone made him a QB because he can throw the ball 90 mph.  

And that 49ers team was already good without him.  If I'm not mistaken, they were in the NFCCG the year before.  He gave them a little more than Alex Smith.  Not impressed.

How many playoff games has Fitz won in his 11-year career?

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If this offseason doesn't highlight the pinnacle reason why we have to go after a QB at all costs in the draft - I don't know what is.

Give me Lynch or give me death! 

I think if they Lynched you it would get you both..:)

29 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Maybe it is me but I think Elwayhas a great deal of knowledge about QB's. He is reported to be looking at Kaepernick.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Set back the Jets?  Dude we havent sniffed the playoffs since Rex first two years.  Signing Fitz will keep us exactly where we are at.  A entertaining team to watch with a spunky QB that is fun to watch most Sundays.  Never sniffing the playoffs.  Dont see how that is setting us back.  Actually its an improvement from a couple years ago.  Not sure on Kaep to be honest.  Dont know enough about him to make a very good opinion.  I will tell you this... If I could pay the same for both I would take Kaep just for the potential upside and his age.  Fitz in my opinion is what he is.  Kaep may do well with a change of perspective. 

i think 10 wins qualifies for "sniffing the playoffs"

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

I think the prudent thing to do is try to sign Fitz for a reasonable amount, something in the range of $8-$10mil for one year, with an out for next year. Continue to devleop Petty, draft another QB and develop him too, keep drafting and developing QB's until you get one, sign competent vets to hold the fort until one of the QB's works out. Its not rocket science, you don't find a QB by trading high draft picks for other teams failures

fixed

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

jets should sign fitz for 8m-12m for 2 years, sign rg3 on the cheap, cut geno, and target their "franchise guy" in the next 2 drafts, if in fact, there is one that they feel good about. or dont draft one if they feel petty can develope or rg3 can be resurrected

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Those numbers are skewed.  He put up good numbers early in his career and then the league figured him out.  He's regressed every single year.  TDs have gone down, INTs have gone up, YPA has gone down.

The guy sucks.

Recheck his stats. You're not right.

Jets: The "extra" team included in this sweepstakes, the Jets feel less likely to make a move for Kap than the Broncos or Browns.

Maybe it's because Ryan Fitzpatrick is such an obvious fit for Chan Gailey's system and the two sides almost have to work out a deal at some point. Or maybe they'll get sick enough of Fitz' asking price to just call the dogs off and go for broke at some point.

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Kaepernick stinks as a passer.  Huge windup and hitch and he's inaccurate.  And word is that he's a scumbag as a person.

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Completely agree. His throwing mechanics are scary bad. 

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Maybe it is me but I think Elway has a great deal of knowledge about QB's. He is reported to be looking at Kaepernick.

One of my favorite things about Kaep that makes him special is his throwing technique and arm efficiency.

It's evident that he was a baseball pitcher --- just like Elway.

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Maybe it is me but I think Elwayhas a great deal of knowledge about QB's. He is reported to be looking at Kaepernick.

The same guy who traded for Sanchez?

And we'll see if the Broncos actually make a move for Kaepernick.  The Broncos have contacted/called about almost every available QB.

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

When you have to argue the semantics with regard to not getting to the playoffs...

who is arguing? i just stated that 10 wins is sniffing the playoffs. if the coach and 52 of the other 53 players came to play, the jets would have tasted the playoffs

13 minutes ago, ylekram said:

dont you mean "fitz choked":D:D

Along with everyone else.  Yes.  Coach included.  I just think we can actually improve.  Really think we have seen the best of Fitz.  So if he plays for a reasonable  salary then fine.  He did make watching the Jets more enjoyable, but I have no reason to think he is getting us into the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

The same guy who traded for Sanchez?

And we'll see if the Broncos actually make a move for Kaepernick.  The Broncos have contacted/called about almost every available QB.

The same guy who traded Tebow to the Jets

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

This is the same argument you made repeatedly in support of Geno. Just because you can't evaluate a player and distinguish between their personal flaws and the team's flaws does not mean nobody else can. One can easily look at Kaepernick's play the last two years and see problems that are very difficult to blame on anybody else.

See, for example, http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000570028/49ers-Colin-Kaepernick-doesn-t-see-open-receiver

It's not the same with Geno.  You can guess that he would play better with talent around him but you don't know.   He's never played with this kind of talent.  Still could suck thought.

Kaep had some talent around him and was a star.  Fell when the talent went away.  But he did show that he could be a top QB in this league.  Geno hasn't gotten that far.

44 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Along with everyone else.  Yes.  Coach included.  I just think we can actually improve.  Really think we have seen the best of Fitz.  So if he plays for a reasonable  salary then fine.  He did make watching the Jets more enjoyable, but I have no reason to think he is getting us into the playoffs.  

what do you consider reasonable? me personally, he needs more than top back up $$, but not starter $$. i would be happy with 10m per. i wouldnt scream at 12m per. i think 7m per is a slap in the face

Archived