Jets Rumored to be Interested in Kaepernick

Jetfan13

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think the size of his contract is also an issue. Either team wants Kap to redo his contract. He doesn't seem willing to do that with Cle due to the dearth of talent.

He would do it with Denver, however, the Broncos won't surrender more than a late 4th compared to Browns early 3rd.

Therefore..... a standoff.

March 31st will be the cutoff date for a deal. I'm sure SF doesn't want to pick up that guaranteed $12m contract.

I guess we'll see. A deal could still be done after March 31st & I don't think they're cutting him. He could still restructure but he'd need at least $12M total guaranteed, with the chance to earn back more in 2017+ if he undergoes a career turnaround in 2016. In reality, even if prior to March 31st, would he honestly agree to a restructured deal with less than that?

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I see these phoney excuses for poor play from players all the time.  Set all the white noise aside and watch QB's when a good play has been called, he should be able to make a play and he falls flat on his ass.  Disarray has nothing to do with missing an open receiver not making a smart read.  I'm not sure how good or bad kaep is but he has been trendingdownward for a couple years and his play has deteriorated.  Can he get back to being a good close to fracnhise guy?  Perhaps but he is far from a slam dunk in that regard.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Fitzpatrick is unwilling to come down from his demands, and Kaep can be had for a 4th rounder (which is all Denver is reportedly willing to give), I'd be very willing to pull the trigger there.  San Fran would be footing the bill for a lot of the money left on Kaep's deal, meaning we'd be getting him at a reasonable price.

But any more than a 4th rounder OR if Fitzpatrick drops his price, I'm going with Fitz, hands down.  Kaep is a reclamation project.  Fitz is a stopgap.  2 very different things there, and the latter is a better fit for us.

Why has Fitzpatrick been with 6 teams in 10 years in the NFL,whats the excuse for that. 

Enough with the stopgap QBs,coaches,players we haven't been to a Super Bowl in 47 years.

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Fitzpatrick is unwilling to come down from his demands, and Kaep can be had for a 4th rounder (which is all Denver is reportedly willing to give), I'd be very willing to pull the trigger there.  San Fran would be footing the bill for a lot of the money left on Kaep's deal, meaning we'd be getting him at a reasonable price.

But any more than a 4th rounder OR if Fitzpatrick drops his price, I'm going with Fitz, hands down.  Kaep is a reclamation project.  Fitz is a stopgap.  2 very different things there, and the latter is a better fit for us.

Kaepernick is an instant upgrade at QB a 2nd round pick is reasonable in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why has Fitzpatrick been with 6 teams in 10 years in the NFL,whats the excuse for that. 

Enough with the stopgap QBs,coaches,players we haven't been to a Super Bowl in 47 years.

The programming language of joewilly

10 Tout Kaep as a fracnhise QB.

20 If challenged about Kaep being a franchise QB, make post about Fitzpatrick, Else go to 10.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

How does not signing Ryan Fitzpatrick help us get closer to that 47 year goal, specifically?

J - E - T - S JETS JETS JETS  I have a good feeling Macc is going to get this done. 

FOX Sports' Mike Garofolo reports "no one (is) in any rush" in the Colin Kaepernick trade talks.

Per Garofolo, the situation has become a "total standoff." He also insists the 49ers have no plans to cut Kaepernick, and are even willing to keep him through April 1, where his $11.9 million salary becomes guaranteed. We'd consider that very unlikely. It would be surprising if there wasn't a resolution before the end of the week.

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

How does not signing Ryan Fitzpatrick help us get closer to that 47 year goal, specifically?

See, that is the thing.  I do not think Fitz gets us closer to anything.  He is a hold-the-fort guy, nothing more.  I think Marshall and Decker (and Gailey) made Fitz a lot better.  Particularly Marshall.  They could do the same for a Kaepernick or maybe even an RGIII, whom I must admit I have hardly seen play.  But both of them are better passers than Fitz, arm-wise.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

J - E - T - S JETS JETS JETS  I have a good feeling Macc is going to get this done. 

FOX Sports' Mike Garofolo reports "no one (is) in any rush" in the Colin Kaepernick trade talks.

Per Garofolo, the situation has become a "total standoff." He also insists the 49ers have no plans to cut Kaepernick, and are even willing to keep him through April 1, where his $11.9 million salary becomes guaranteed. We'd consider that very unlikely. It would be surprising if there wasn't a resolution before the end of the week.

I think you're right.  If you're Mac you must be asking yourself one question.  What gives me the best chance to win a championship in the next five years?  The answer he's going to come back with is...Kaep.  

What's more likely?  

The 2nd rounder we're going to choose/give-up becomes a major impact player capable of carrying this team to a Super Bowl? or Kaep once again becomes a QB capable of carrying a team to the Super Bowl?

Best case in bringing back Fitz is you lose gracefully...and push off another year what we're capable of doing now (taking a shot on a potential franchise QB)

Why is Ryan Fitzpatrick  worth all this tension ?

We're talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick who with 2 great WR , having a career year and a strong running game backed by a top 10 defense couldn't get his team to the playoffs.

Why is this guy worth all this fuss ?

With the Jets it's always something ?

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Denver won last year.  They seem to not see much of a difference between he and Kaep.  You seem to be the only one who does . 

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Honestly I think Fitz has every intention of staying with the Jets all this talk of Denver is Fitz way to squeeze out some extra cash or incentives but Mac is hold tough and its a smart move from the money perspective. Everyone knows Fitz is a better fit here than anywhere else for multiple reasons I really don't need to get into because they are obvious. In the end Fitz will be a Jet and Mac and the organization know it.

There has been little buzz about Robert Griffin III since the quarterback was released by the Washington Redskins last week, and it appears that could remain the case for some time.

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio hears from a league source that Griffin might not be able to find a home until the fate of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is resolved. Florio adds that Griffin originally had interest in joining the 49ers, Denver Broncos or Los Angeles Rams, but the Rams "haven't reciprocated" that interest. That leaves Denver and San Francisco, who seemstuck in a game of chicken -- along with the Cleveland Browns -- over Kaepernick.If the Niners ship their QB off, perhaps Griffin would get a chance in Chip Kelly's offense. But if Denver can't get Kaepernick, Florio still thinks Griffin joining the Broncos would be a "hard sell" because of Gary Kubiak's relationship with Mike Shanahan, who clashed with the QB in Washington before being fired in December of 2013.

As for other potential landing spots, Griffin visited with the New York Jets last week, but ESPN's Rich Cimini is skeptical that it was much more than a leverage play and/or fallback option in case Ryan Fitzpatrick departs in free agency.Altogether, Griffin's future looks murky at the moment, especially if he wants a legitimate chance to win a starting job somewhere. Once the Kaepernick domino falls, things could move quickly, but don't hold your breath: Kaepernick's fate might not be decided until April 1, when his 2016 salary becomes fully guaranteed.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post/_/id/29877/nfl-rumor-central-rg-iiis-fate-could-wait-on-kaepernick

7 minutes ago, kelly said:

There has been little buzz about Robert Griffin III since the quarterback was released by the Washington Redskins last week, and it appears that could remain the case for some time.

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio hears from a league source that Griffin might not be able to find a home until the fate of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is resolved. Florio adds that Griffin originally had interest in joining the 49ers, Denver Broncos or Los Angeles Rams, but the Rams "haven't reciprocated" that interest. That leaves Denver and San Francisco, who seemstuck in a game of chicken -- along with the Cleveland Browns -- over Kaepernick.If the Niners ship their QB off, perhaps Griffin would get a chance in Chip Kelly's offense. But if Denver can't get Kaepernick, Florio still thinks Griffin joining the Broncos would be a "hard sell" because of Gary Kubiak's relationship with Mike Shanahan, who clashed with the QB in Washington before being fired in December of 2013.

As for other potential landing spots, Griffin visited with the New York Jets last week, but ESPN's Rich Cimini is skeptical that it was much more than a leverage play and/or fallback option in case Ryan Fitzpatrick departs in free agency.Altogether, Griffin's future looks murky at the moment, especially if he wants a legitimate chance to win a starting job somewhere. Once the Kaepernick domino falls, things could move quickly, but don't hold your breath: Kaepernick's fate might not be decided until April 1, when his 2016 salary becomes fully guaranteed.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post/_/id/29877/nfl-rumor-central-rg-iiis-fate-could-wait-on-kaepernick

If this article is accurate (It's unlikely to be anything more than conjecture by Cimini) I would be very disappointed.  Sounds like the Jets are more or less committed to getting back Fitz and it's just a matter of the process running its course...and if that's correct, they'll likely end up paying a career journeyman $10mm a year.  And the Jets will once again be a middle-to-bottom of the pack team...with no hope in sight.

Very sad....

If teams view Kaepernick as a slam dunk great QB franchise guy like some on here are predicting then there would be little quibbling about giving up a freaking 3rd round draft pick.  Frisco does not want to trade him and that is why they are holding firm on their ask.  Jets just need to move on to other business until something moves elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If this article is accurate (It's unlikely to be anything more than conjecture by Cimini) I would be very disappointed.  Sounds like the Jets are more or less committed to getting back Fitz and it's just a matter of the process running its course...and if that's correct, they'll likely end up paying a career journeyman $10mm a year.  And the Jets will once again be a middle-to-bottom of the pack team...with no hope in sight.

Very sad....

my takeaway from this whole ordeal, is that mccags is intent on drafting a qb, which he knows is the only way to really get better.  he's also assessing whether paying fitz a lot of money for probably 1 more year and thereby losing out on at least 1 younger FA this year is worth it.  fitz is 1 option of several, one of which includes drafting a qb and having geno/petty compete.   

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

If teams view Kaepernick as a slam dunk great QB franchise guy like some on here are predicting then there would be little quibbling about giving up a freaking 3rd round draft pick.  Frisco does not want to trade him and that is why they are holding firm on their ask.  Jets just need to move on to other business until something moves elsewhere.

i think they do want to trade him, but kap's salary demands are making it difficult.  it's SF's fault.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

my takeaway from this whole ordeal, is that mccags is intent on drafting a qb, which he knows is the only way to really get better.  he's also assessing whether paying fitz a lot of money for probably 1 more year and thereby losing out on at least 1 younger FA this year is worth it.  fitz is 1 option of several, one of which includes drafting a qb and having geno/petty compete.   

I get it, but unless he's planning on trading up to draft a QB he's going to have a hard time finding anyone but another long term, hope you get lucky, project.

And even if he does trade up (from what I've read/heard) the big three are all projects and not NFL ready.  Just feels like he's playing scared.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I get it, but unless he's planning on trading up to draft a QB he's going to have a hard time finding anyone but another long term, hope you get lucky, project.

And even if he does trade up (from what I've read/heard) the big three are all projects and not NFL ready.  Just feels like he's playing scared.

Playing scared?  No, he's acting like a sound GM waiting his turn to play his cards.  What would make him not play scared?  Trade a 2nd for Kaeprnick and pay him 14 million a year?

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

i think he's playing smart.  he's not panicking.  there are no other teams interested in fitz.  fitz's problem is that he wants to be paid for what he did last year, but in the nfl you pay for future production, and teams are justifiably wary that fitz can repeat it, especially if he's not in gailey's offense.  as good of a year as fitz had, it still was bottom 3rd in several metrics like completion % and rating.  we're starving for decent qb play but most of the rest of the league gets it better than we do.

mccags knows more than we do.  he knows how geno and petty look.  they may be deciding if paxton or cook can lead the team in a year or so.  

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think he's playing smart.  he's not panicking.  there are no other teams interested in fitz.  fitz's problem is that he wants to be paid for what he did last year, but in the nfl you pay for future production, and teams are justifiably wary that fitz can repeat it, especially if he's not in gailey's offense.  as good of a year as fitz had, it still was bottom 3rd in several metrics like completion % and rating.  we're starving for decent qb play but most of the rest of the league gets it better than we do.

mccags knows more than we do.  he knows how geno and petty look.  they may be deciding if paxton or cook can lead the team in a year or so.  

Yes, waiting Fitz out is the right thing to do...if you want Fitz.  My point is, I don't want Fitz as the starter next year.  I just don't see the point.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Playing scared?  No, he's acting like a sound GM waiting his turn to play his cards.  What would make him not play scared?  Trade a 2nd for Kaeprnick and pay him 14 million a year?

Yes, trading a 2nd for Kaep (you won't need to pay him $14mm)  At least you have a shot of trying to turn the team around.  Having Fitz on the team to be anything but a back up is playing scared.  

just kicking the can down the road on finding a franchise QB - when there's a shot at one now.  I'm not saying Kaep is a lock to be that guy, but he's the best option we have...

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, trading a 2nd for Kaep (you won't need to pay him $14mm)  At least you have a shot of trying to turn the team around.  Having Fitz on the team to be anything but a back up is playing scared.

just kicking the can down the road on finding a franchise QB - when there's a shot at one now.  I'm not saying Kaep is a lock to be that guy, but he's the best option we have...

You want to trade a 2nd round pick for a QB that lost his job to Gabbert?   Really?   I would rather stick with the guy that won 10 games for one more year.  Draft a QB, then get the stench of Geno off the team.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

What do you mean you don't need to pay him 14 million?  His avg salary now is like 19 mill or something.  That is like saying, oh trade for mo wilk but don't pay him 14 mill.

Your comments are greatly skewed by your dislike for one Qb and your like for another, if my Gm does anything other than what I want eh is playing sacred.  Balderdash.

Just now, Beerfish said:

What do you mean you don't need to pay him 14 million?  His avg salary now is like 19 mill or something.  That is like saying, oh trade for mo wilk but don't pay him 14 mill.

Your comments are greatly skewed by your dislike for one Qb and your like for another, if my Gm does anything other than what I want eh is playing sacred.  Balderdash.

well of course this is opinion based...what else am I supposed to discuss?    But yes, I don't think Fitz is a legitimate NFL starting QB. I personally like the guy - it's not personal.  

I don't exactly love Kaep either - but I also don't like the other options.  Any QB we can draft this year will be a project - based upon that - I believe Kaep has a better chance of becoming a franchise QB than any project we're going to draft.  When it comes to finding a QB you have to take more chances.  So yes, if he doesn't take the chance and chooses to overpay a career journeyman to start he's playing scared.

As for price, both he and the 49ers have stated they are willing to renegotiate his contract.  So, I don't believe they'll have to pay as much as $14mm...

Free agency stories to watch : John Elway, QB market, more

The first wave of NFL free agency ended late last week, a good thing because if it went on much longer, there would be no evidence left to indicate that Chip Kelly had once worked in Philadelphia.The Eagles' makeover -- if you ever spoke to Kelly in the hallway and weren't named Sam Bradford, it's possible the Eagles were looking to move you -- was one of the more compelling storylines as the annual players' bazaar opened for business. But now that the first frenetic days are over, the biggest names are off the board and the largest checks in the mail, it is time to assess where the NFL goes from here. Below are five stories to watch :

~ ~   3) Where the QB market goes now. The second tier of quarterbacks may have to wait a while until all the musical chairs stop being filled. Osweiler was considered the best quarterback on the market -- that tells you something, considering he's only had seven career starts -- and that leaves Fitzpatrick, Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III waiting, like kids hoping to be picked for the kickball team. A fevered market hasn't developed, and after that first frenzy of free agency, you get the sense that teams are engaging in a more sober analysis of their options.

Teams rarely panic the way fans do when there is no obvious starting quarterback on the roster early in the offseason. Training camps don't open until late July and the real work of free agency is done not in those first few hours but in the weeks to come.

The most intriguing member of this group is Kaepernick, who asked for a trade from San Francisco. Kaepernick would seem to be the perfect fit for Chip Kelly's offense and it would be fascinating to see if Kelly could rehabilitate Kaepernick's career in San Francisco, although he might also slot nicely into Gary Kubiak's system of bootlegs and rollouts in Denver. Kaepernick was thought to be on the radars of the Broncos and Browns. But reports have indicated the Niners want a second-round draft pick in a trade, with Cleveland, at least, only wanting to surrender a third, while the Broncos have deemed Kaepernick worthy of a fourth-round pick. And so the stalemate goes on. It still feels like the most likely outcome is that the Jets and Fitzpatrick will find a middle ground in the chasm between their determination of Fitzpatrick's value, but Jets fans, used to uncertainty at quarterback, should probably settle in for a little more nail-biting.

rest of above article  : 

>   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644212/article/free-agency-stories-to-watch-john-elway-qb-market-more

Last week, a Colin Kaepernick trade seemed certain to happen. On Monday we sit in an amorphous cloud of uncertainty. NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reported that all's quiet on the Kaepernick front, with theBroncos holding firm in their belief that Kaepernick is worth a fourth-round pick. There is no movement with the Browns.

Per Silver, the Niners are "chilling."

San Francisco is in no hurry to unload Kaepernick and is prepared to retain the quarterback if a trade can't be brokered. The team has until April 1 before $12 million of Kaepernick's salary is guaranteed for 2016.It's notable that the Broncos value Kap at a fourth-round level. It's the first solid figured from theBroncos camp we've heard since rumors of a potential trade exploded.

Last Thursday, Silver mentioned that 49ers likely want a second-round pick for Kaepernick and said at the time the Broncos might be willing to part ways with a third-rounder.The key word at the time was might. The offer hasn't gotten that steep yet.The Broncos do not currently own a fourth-round pick, meaning Denver would have to figure out how to make it work in event the Niners lower their demands.

The Browns have reportedly been willing to give up a third-round pick.Both the Broncos and Browns would like Kaepernick to sign a restructured deal for any trade to take place. Kaepernick and the Broncos were closer on a contract restructure than Cleveland, but the Niners want more from Denver, per Silver.

The lesson here is that there are plenty more trips around the negotiating wheel before any trade for the quarterback comes to fruition.

>      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644196/article/broncos-believe-kaepernick-is-worth-fourthround-pick

Archived