Jets Rumored to be Interested in Kaepernick

Jetfan13

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets need to do whatever it takes to acquire Kaepernick and end our drought of a franchise QB.

Kaepernick to me is NOT a franchise QB. Had one great season and one halfway decent season under Harbaugh, then went downhill and the slide hasn't stopped yet. Inaccurate on passes at all levels, his footwork is terrible and he seems to have lost confidence. I would rather see Geno Smith get the job back than to waste a draft pick on that guy. Ditto RGIII.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The big question with Kap is does Chip really want him as his starting Qb. Kap's salary is not astronomical, around 12. But the guy had some real bad games last season and was benched. I'm not in favor of the Jets trading for him. 

Kaepernick is the closest thing to a franchise QB we have sniffed in years...

On 3/14/2016 at 2:10 PM, Charlie Brown said:

I appreciate your reasosned response instead of balsting me as you certainly could.  :)

No way in the world am I still the Sanchez apologist that I was in the past; I am definitely off that crack pipe!!

I'm just not so sure that Hoyer is better than Sanchez but that aint saying much IMO......

The fact is that Hoyer may well be a suitable replacement for Fitz should he depart.

Oh I agree :)  I just saw that tweet fly by my feed earlier and it was just perfect timing to drop it into the conversation lol

On 3/14/2016 at 1:33 PM, JETSfaninNE said:

Just going to put this here for you to think about.

trey wingoVerified account
‏@wingoz
Why Denver isn't satisfied with Mark Sanchez as their QB option: Since 2009 no qualifying QB has averaged more turnovers per game.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/73/73720646caa9251e050d853729b5de4a8116b7911b071932b70c2d598bcdac4f.jpg

With trade talks around Colin Kaepernick cooling, the San Francisco 49ers are expected to keep the quarterback on their roster past April 1,the date his $11.9 million base salary for 2016 becomes guaranteed,sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter . But the team will still look to trade Kaepernick before or during the April 28-30 draft, sources tell Schefter.

Kaepernick's agents requested permission from the 49ers on Feb. 26 to seek a trade for their client.Last week, the Broncos, Jets and Browns each expressed interest in Kaepernick, but a league source told Schefter that nothing was imminent.

Kaepernick, 28, is under contract through the 2020 season as part of the six-year, $114 million contract he signed in 2014.

Wednesday, at San Jose State's pro day, new 49ers coach Chip Kelly said he has talked with Kaepernick as recently as Tuesday but that conversations were primarily about the quarterback's health. He noted that league rules prohibit coaches from talking to players about football matters until players report for organized team activities, which begin for the 49ers on April 4.

At Stanford's pro day Thursday, Kelly said: "I'd love to have him. I'm a big Kap fan."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14999306/colin-kaepernick-likely-san-francisco-49ers-april-1

On 3/15/2016 at 3:50 PM, joewilly12 said:

So you are comparing Ryan Fitzpatrick to Peyton Manning? 

There is no comparison.  Fitz, for all his flaws, was the much MUCH better QB in 2015.

Manning is of course an all-time great.  But he sucked last year.  Badly.

Colin Kaepernick trade rumor: Deal to Broncos 'will happen, given time'

Things have quieted down on the Colin Kaepernick trade front, but the Denver Broncos seem to believe something will happen if they are patient.

The Colin Kaepernick saga hit a lull this week, with there appearing to be hang-ups on draft compensation between the San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos, and Kap's contract between the 49ers and Cleveland Browns. Nobody seems in a huge hurry for the moment, but Benjamin Allbright is reporting a source "firmly believes" a deal will happen "given time."

Source "firmly believes" Kaepernick to #Broncos "will happen, given time."

Allbright is not a major media figure, but he has done solid work in hitting on some rumors. Allbright is Colorado-based, so I am guessing he has a Broncos source who is saying this. I would expect them to think something could happen with a little patience. This comes as ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting the 49ers are expected to keep Kaepernick on the roster past April 1, but the team will still look to deal him before or during the draft next month.

The 49ers are trying to play the patience game as well. Matt Maiocco reported a source told him the 49ers are willing to retain Kaepernick if they don't get the compensation they want. The source also said the team will not release Kaepernick if a trade does not happen. A source told Cam Inman Kaepernick will not demand a trade if he is not released before the 49ers offseason workout program gets going on April 4. Kaepernick is due to come to Santa Clara on Friday for a physical. In the meantime, Chip Kelly has said he has had conversations with Kaepernick, but they have not gone into any detail on Kaepernick's trade request.

The Broncos reportedly think Colin Kaepernick is worth a fourth round pick. Other reports suggest the 49ers want a low second or high third round pick, and thus we are left with an impasse.

This is a moderately high stakes game of chicken for the Broncos. They currently have Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian as their quarterbacks. If either of them is the starter Week 1, something has likely gone very poorly. On the other hand, the Broncos likely believe the 49ers are not willing to carry Kap on the roster this fall. If they think the 49ers would consider releasing Kaepernick, it makes sense to wait for the 49ers to come down to their demands.

>     http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/3/18/11260366/colin-kaepernick-trade-rumor-deal-to-broncos-will-happen-given-time

While the Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers continue their standoff over negotiations for a potential Colin Kaepernick trade, two quarterbacks have been left in limbo.The Broncos have looked at free agent quarterback Robert Griffin III, according to ESPN’s Jeff Legwold. The Broncos also consider free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick a fallback option if trade talks with the 49ers fall through, according to NFL Network.

In the meantime, there’s been little movement around both quarterbacks.

“Robert Griffin III won’t be in a position to know what’s next for [him] until the Kaepernick situation is resolved,” Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio wrote earlier this week. “With Kaepernick in play both in Cleveland and Denver, Griffin’s opportunities won’t crystallize until Kaepernick is cleared off the San Francisco roster.”

Florio said Fitzpatrick is in a similar situation.

“The logjam continues to be Colin Kaepernick,” Florio wrote Thursday. “Until his situation is resolved in San Francisco, the other dominoes likely aren’t falling. And Fitzpatrick is one of the biggest dominoes left.”The two quarterbacks could be waiting for a few more weeks, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter recently reported that the 49ers are not expected to trade Kaepernick before April 1.Until Kaepernick is traded—or known for sure to be staying in San Francisco—expect little movement on the Fitzpatrick and RGIII fronts.

For all parties involved, the waiting game will continue.

>    http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/18/kaepernick-fitzpatrick-griffin-iii-all-in-limbo-49ers-broncos-trade-update/

At the annual NFL owners meetings in Boca Raton, Florida this week, the Cleveland Browns executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown told reporters the team is not actively pursuing a trade for Colin Kaepernick.Additionally, the team is “moving forward on possibly signing quarterback Robert Griffin III and that the team is doing its due diligence,” according to a report from Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

Cabot wrote :

Brown said the Browns are not actively engaged in trade talks with the 49ers for Colin Kaepernick, “and at this point we don’t anticipate being engaged with San Francisco.” He said the Browns were called to see if they were interested, and engaged in some preliminary talks. He said the Browns’ interest was “over-reported,” and that they never negotiated a draft pick or a new contract for Kaepernick.

This isn’t a surprising revaluation after it was reported last week thattrade talks have cooled for Kaepernick, leaving the possibility open he stays in San Francisco in 2016, potentially creating an awkward situation for Chip Kelly’s first year.Prior to Monday, it was reported the Browns were willing to offer the 49ers a third-round pick for Kaepernick, which was more enticing than the fourth-round pick on the table from the Denver Broncos.

Another snag in the negotiations was the inability of Kaepernick’s camp and the Browns to come to an agreement on a contract renegotiation. It’s believed the 49ers initially wanted a second-round pick for Kaepernick.Kaepernick’s $11.9 million base salary becomes guaranteed April 1. With his various bonuses added, he’s initially slated to cost San Francisco $15.891 million against the salary cap.

Of course, what is said publicly and privately often differ as teams try to gain leverage through speaking publicly. The obvious example in this case: when Kelly told reporters at last month’s scouting combine that Kaepernick wanted to be a 49ers, just a day before Kaepernick’s camp asked for a trade from San Francisco.For now, it appears San Francisco is intent on keeping Kaepernick beyond the April 1 deadline when his salary is due if it can’t agree on a trade with another club.

Talked potential Kaepernick trade on @NFLHQ: Next checkpoint expected to be Apr 2. #49ers may have to prove they won't cut him (they won't.)

>     http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/21/browns-exec-cleveland-not-in-trade-talks-for-colin-kaepernick/

-- With the Colin Kaepernick trade winds seemingly calming, San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke acknowledged Tuesday he has had "discussions with several teams" regarding the dual-threat quarterback."And it's gone no further than that," Baalke said at the NFL owners meetings. "We're nowhere near getting anything done at this point."Baalke added that he has not fielded any offers from prospective suitors. Kaepernick has been linked to the Browns, Broncos and Jets, although Cleveland and Denver have distanced themselves recently.Kaepernick became the Niners' starter midway through the 2012 season, a year after they drafted him in the second round out of Nevada. He was under center for the team's Super Bowl run in the 2012 season, as well as the following year when they made their third straight trip to the NFC title game.

Last year, though, he was benched after eight games and a 2-6 start in favor of Blaine Gabbert.

Kaepernick underwent surgeries to his left shoulder, right thumb and left knee after being placed o injured reserve in November. At last month's NFL combine, his agents asked the Niners for permission to explore potential trades for the QB. The request came hours after Baalke said he "absolutely" expected Kaepernick to be on the team's roster April 1, when $11.9 million of his contract becomes guaranteed.

The request from Kaepernick's agents was granted.

"But our intent was for him to be back and to go to work ... the more important thing is what our expectations are of the player," Baalke said. "He's under contract and unless, or until that changes, our expectations don't change."

Then why give him permission to seek a trade?

"Because I think sometimes it helps players ... it gives them a chance to see what their options really are," Baalke said. "And it also gives us a chance to say, 'We didn't hold you back from doing anything. This is new for everybody.'

"Obviously, (new coach Chip) Kelly would love to work with him, and feels he could fit into the system that coach has, and go to work. I think that's the main purpose of it."

Baalke was asked if he was stunned by the request.

"You have to look at all the change that we've gone through, and sometimes that's difficult on players, especially young players," Baalke said. "Young players that got to go from system to system to system, right? So, I never really asked them what their thought process is and why they're making the decisions that they are.

"But by giving them the opportunity to explore other options, doesn't mean that you don't want him."Baalke was quick to point out that he would not grant such freedom to every player."This is a unique situation, and it's being dealt with," he said. "Let's face it: The last couple of years have not been an easy run for any of us."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15044308/san-francisco-49ers-gm-trent-baalke-says-trade-talks-colin-kaepernick-progressed

-- Chip Kelly reiterated his desire Wednesday to coach quarterback Colin Kaepernick, despite the player's agents requesting and receiving permission to pursue a trade away from the San Francisco 49ers.

Kelly, who was hired by the Niners in January, was asked at the NFC coaches breakfast at the NFL owners meetings if he had to "sell" the idea of the dual-threat Kaepernick sticking around."Have I done any selling? No. It's just been talking to him and I don't think there's a selling part," Kelly said. "No. 1, I can't talk offensively with him and say, 'I think this is a good fit because of this, this and this' because you're not allowed to do that. But I did make him understand that just because there is a business side, it doesn't mean that we don't want you here.

"We want him. I really would love to work with him so I think he understands that."

Kaepernick, who is recuperating from surgeries to his left shoulder, right thumb and left knee, has been linked to the Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns, though both teams have distanced themselves of late. The New York Jets have also been rumored to be interested. And with $11.9 million of his contract becoming guaranteed on April 1, the Niners are in a tight window given that the team's offseason training program does not begin until April 4.

"I think the biggest thing with Kap is, let's get him healthy," Kelly said.

Kelly, who spent much of his hour-long availability rehashing his tumultuous tenure with the Philadelphia Eagles, also talked about how the likes of Cam Newton and Russell Wilson do not get enough credit for their overall quarterback skills, with the focus instead being on their running abilities.Kaepernick has a similar skill set, though many observers would claim that he has a stronger arm. Kelly recalled a specific play Kaepernick made against his Eagles at Levi's Stadium in 2014."He got flushed three times and then he turned and threw a pass to the right sideline where I think Frank (Gore) was the last outlet on the play and just, his entire body and momentum was this way and it just came off his hand and stuck a hole shot.

"When he went to the combine I think he had the fastest ball speed. I mean he can spin a football. He can really throw it."

But will he throw it for Kelly this season ?

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15049027/san-francisco-49ers-coach-chip-kelly-says-love-coach-colin-kaepernick

After a couple of weeks of silence regarding what had become a presumption that the 49ers want to trade quarterback Colin Kaepernick, G.M. Trent Baalke says that a trade currently isn’t likely to happen.“I’ve had discussions with several teams and it’s gone no further than that, as the agents have had several discussions [with teams],” Baalke told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “We’re nowhere near getting anything done at this point.”

Baalke said that the 49ers have not received a trade offer for Kaepernick, who is under contract through 2020. Maiocco reports that the Broncos, Browns, and Jets have spoken to the 49ers about a possible trade.“What we told them was that they were open to exploring options,” Baalke said. “But our intent was for him to be back and to go to work. . . . He’s under contract and until that changes, our expectations don’t change.”

Baalke’s concession that Kaepernick’s agents were given permission to talk to other teams seems to contradict prior comments from owner Jed York regarding his belief that there was no reason to give permission because nothing as a practical matter prevents agents from talking to teams. With Baalke’s comments, the situation now has a more official, coordinated feel to it.

Maiocco asked Baalke why the 49ers would affirmatively allow Kaepernick to seek a trade if they plan to keep him around.“Because I think sometimes it helps players work through anything they may have,” Baalke said. “It gives them a chance to see what their options really are. It also gives us a chance to say we didn’t hold you back from doing that.”

Baalke’s comments hardly mean that Kaepernick will be on the team as of April 1, when his $11.9 million base salary for 2016 becomes fully guaranteed. The 49ers must decide whether to take the best offer they get on or before March 31, whether to simply cut Kaepernick, or whether to keep a guy who doesn’t want to be there — and who quite possibly may feel no differently about that after his agents have a chance to find an offer that the 49ers deem to be acceptable.

>   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/22/baalke-downplays-possibility-of-kaepernick-trade/

The Cleveland Browns are “moving toward” signing free agent quarterback Robert Griffin III, and it could happen soon, according to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

That means the Browns have cooled on trade talks with the San Francisco 49ers about Colin Kaepernick. Browns head coach Hue Jackson indicated Tuesday that the team’s reported interest in Kaepernick was overblown.“All of those discussions were very preliminary, way over-reported, period,” said Brown, according to Cabot. “But we’re not actively engaged with San Francisco and at this point I don’t anticipate being actively engaged with San Francisco, but I know it’s that time of year when something can catch a headline.”

If the Browns do sign Griffin, that would leave the Denver Broncos as the only team actively interested in trading for Kaepernick. The NewYork Jets were also reported to have interest, but they believe that the quarterback will land in Denver.Kaepernick’s $11.9 million 2016 salary becomes guaranteed April 1.

>      http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/22/browns-robert-griffin-iii-colin-kaepernick-49ers-trade-update/

Colin Kaepernick is not going to be a Jet.

According to a report from NFL Network, New York is out of the running as potential trade suitors for the San Francisco 49ers quarterback.The Browns no longer have a need for Kaepernick after signingRobert Griffin III on Thursday. The Jets meanwhile are reportedly not willing to deal despite being stuck at a standstill in talks with free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.

With the Jets and Browns no longer involved, the Denver Broncos are Kaepernick’s only logical remaining potential destination.While the Jets entered the Kaepernick sweepstakes early in free agency, it became obvious that the rumored interest was more of asmokescreen than anything else. Focused on Fitzpatrick, the Jets wanted to try to get the quarterback to flinch, and thus take a deal less than his asking price.

Still, it was puzzling that the Jets never appeared to have any real interest. Kaepernick’s $11.9 million salary is guaranteed as of April 1. That’s a big number for a guaranteed salary, but Kaepernick is just 28 years old and offers a more dynamic skill set than the Fitzpatrick, who will be 34 years old this season.

With that said, Fitz thrived in his first season in New York underoffensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s system. The general consensus that both the team and the player are one another’s best fit, but the Jets so far have been unwilling to meet the signal caller’s demands.With Denver the only team left in need of QB and showing interest in Kaepernick, Fitzpatrick is running out of options.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/24/report-jets-now-out-on-colin-kaepernick/

Typical of this franchise.....

Passing a chance (granted its a risky chance) to positively impact the next 8-10 yrs of the franchise by grabbing a dynamic player and mating him with a coach (Gailey) who can take him to the next level.

But no.................best off season moves so far is 30 yr old Erin Hendersen and Forte, a back with a million miles on his odometer.

SOJ. 

I think that the Jets should have been willing to get this guy if possible.  

Indeed I was way down on Kap but I really looked into his numbers and games last year and he had some fantastic games BEFORE he got hurt and they insulted him by beaching him prematurely.  

It really looks like 49er Ownership is totally disfunctional and Kap was let down.  

I changed my mind on this guy talent wise he is way above average.  

But I truly hope that the Jets have a real plan cause I think that Kap is going to turn his career around the next place he goes.  

Even if true, of what advantage is it to let this be known? Maintaining interest in Kaepernick contributes to whatever leverage the Jets have vs. Fitz. I can't see an up side to letting your lack of interest in Kaepernick be known. And given how few leaks have come out of the current regime, I can only assume the story is false or there's a reason it got out that will become clearer down the road. Would welcome enlightenment on this question.

1 hour ago, majf said:

Even if true, of what advantage is it to let this be known? Maintaining interest in Kaepernick contributes to whatever leverage the Jets have vs. Fitz. I can't see an up side to letting your lack of interest in Kaepernick be known. And given how few leaks have come out of the current regime, I can only assume the story is false or there's a reason it got out that will become clearer down the road. Would welcome enlightenment on this question.

This is my feeling as well.  

The Jets haven't telegraphed their objectives once prior to this and I doubt very seriously that they are doing so now. 

For all we know this is just a rumor started by Denver designed to push the Niners to a deal.  

Archived