Shefter: RGIII VISITING JETS -- MERGED

Maxman

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit it, I was a big fan of RGIII's potential.  I still think he could be the guy...  I am all for bringing him in on a reasonable contract and seeing what he can do in a Gailey offense with weapons...

That said, I don't want him to be the only option.

40 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Max, do you know if Chan, Bowles, Rogers and Gailey are at OSU Pro Day?

If so, does RG3 stay until tomorrow to meet with Chan/Mac and MacClellin(LB) wait to meet with Bowles,Rogers and Mac?

Kimberly Martin sent out a tweet about 45 minutes ago saying RGIII would be spending the night in NJ.. for what it's worth

Just now, shuler82 said:

Kimberly Martin sent out a tweet about 45 minutes ago saying RGIII would be spending the night in NJ.. for what it's worth

It's worth a LOT.

I want Chan to run him through a few drills and Mac in Woody's box making a judgement with his "scouts" eye.

Then he and Chan sit and make the decision.... flight out of Newark or an offer

4 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

I admit it, I was a big fan of RGIII's potential.  I still think he could be the guy...  I am all for bringing him in on a reasonable contract and seeing what he can do in a Gailey offense with weapons...

That said, I don't want him to be the only option.

I think im with you on this. If the contract is reasonable I am in as long as there someone else to compete with him who is not named geno. if there is a higher power petty has used this offseason to mature even more and becomes the guy. i know its a slim possibility, but it could happen, right? RIGHT?

8 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

This might be where they bring bowles to size him up...

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It's worth a LOT.

I want Chan to run him through a few drills and Mac in Woody's box making a judgement with his "scouts" eye.

Then he and Chan sit and make the decision.... flight out of Newark or an offer

No inside info whatsoever, but my best guess as far as how the Jets handle QB:

1. Sign 1 FA QB.  Any of 'em: Fitz, RG3, Hoyer... Then draft late round QB.

2. Don't sign any FA QB.  Potentially draft a QB in earlier rounds.

3.  Actually sign 2 FA QBs.  Don't really see this happening.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

No inside info whatsoever, but my best guess as far as how the Jets handle QB:

1. Sign 1 FA QB.  Any of 'em: Fitz, RG3, Hoyer... Then draft late round QB.

2. Don't sign any FA QB.  Potentially draft a QB in earlier rounds.

3.  Actually sign 2 FA QBs.  Don't really see this happening.

I think 1 but drafting a guy fairly high is what they are looking at..

i get the sense geno is gonna be traded....

19 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

I think 1 but drafting a guy fairly high is what they are looking at..

i get the sense geno is gonna be traded....

Guess it's possible but I haven't heard anything about other teams having interest in Geno.  Even if they don't start Geno (which I've been calling for), would seem like best option as a cheap backup for at least one more season.

Look I like RG111. I just don't think he is a good fit in this offense and in the East Coast. Now that saying if who would I rather QB my team him or Geno it is not even close but that is if he has come back from his injury.  I still think the Rams or New Orleans is his best fit. If I was Houston I would sign him for Osweiller back up but Jim O'brien won't have any of that. He is a Belecheat clone.

17 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Nobody spills maccs coffee and lives to tell about it.

Oh, sh*t, you're right! It won't be the blunt force trauma from the table that does Griffin in, but the impact from Macc's potato gun shooting him in the kneecap.

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

It could've been worse. We could've traded for him before he was cut.

This whole situation has to be a smoke screen.

If we sign RGIII, my fondness for Mac, Bowles, hell, even Charley casserly will just go "POOF"...gone..out the window.

3 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

If we sign RGIII, my fondness for Mac, Bowles, hell, even Charley casserly will just go "POOF"...gone..out the window.

It probably is, but I trust Macc and this regime so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. If they do sign him, I don't expect it to be a large contract. As long as we're not committed to RGIII for more than a year, than I have no problem letting him compete. He's had a whole year (at least) to sit. Let's see if both his head and knee are in the right place.

I'd still prefer that Fitz comes back for what the Jets are offering.

8 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

You're probably right, but they are kicking the tires, which at this point might come at a very low cost with little risk.   If they think there is a possibility he can compete, they could try to add him cheaply. I'm all for an open QB competition among any QBs on the roster.  Why not see what RGIII has?

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160310/robert-griffin-iii-wants-to-play-for-la-rams-source-says

The Rams want to upgrade their quarterback position. And it looks like a former NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year wants to be that upgrade.

Robert Griffin III “very much” wants to play for the Rams in Los Angeles, a source close to the situation indicated Thursday.

The fit seems natural, although it comes with risk after RG3 lost his starting job with the Washington Redskins and was ultimately released last week after four seasons in D.C.

Nevertheless, the Rams can surround him with a strong supporting cast that includes dynamic young running back Todd Gurley — the reigning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year — playmaker Tavon Austin, an improved offensive line and a solid defense,

In other words, RG3 won’t have to carry the Rams as much as he just needs to complement them. And that seems appealing to a player trying to revive his career with a change of scenery.

The best year of RG3’s career came in 2012 when he and Redskins running back Alfred Morris beautifully played off each other. Operating out of the zone-read offense, the powerful legs of Morris and RG3 combined for 2,431 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns. The running threat helped open up the passing game for RG3, who threw for 3,200 yards and 20 touchdowns and compiled a 102.4 quarterback rating.

It was a spectacular rookie season, one in which Griffin became the youngest player in NFL history to post a perfect 158.3 passer rating while throwing for 200 yards and four touchdowns against the Philadelphia Eagles. He established rookie records for best QB rating and best TD-to-interception ratio. The Redskins made the playoffs for the first time since 2007, and RG3 was voted team captain by his peers and named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Apparently, the possibility of operating in the same backfield as Gurley appeals to RG3.

There is risk.

As good as that 2012 season was, it also set the stage for three ensuing years of drama thanks to a late-season leg injury that Griffin obviously returned from too soon. The resulting dysfunction pitted coaches and player and team doctors against each other, with everyone absorbing and deflecting the blame for letting RG3 back on the field too soon.

And it ultimately sent the Redskins scurrying around changing coaches and offensive systems, figuring out ways to best protect and utilize their prized young quarterback.

But when Washington finally settled on Jay Gruden as its head coach, it created the worst-possible situation for RG3: He was a square peg in Gruden’s drop-back pass offense. But his teammate, Kirk Cousins, was built perfectly for it.

Which is why the Redskins just slapped Cousins with the franchise tag, and why RG3 is looking for a job.

For all those reasons, any team — including the Rams — should be wary of the former Baylor great.

There is the potential reward.

RG3 did not play one snap last year, which means his body is as healthy as possible. So many of his problems in Washington, D.C., were related to the injuries — a fact even Gruden supported — so it only stands to reason a healthy-bodied RG3 might also be a spiritually sound RG3.

The breath of fresh air created by moving out of the drama of Washington, D.C., to the warmth and promise of the Los Angeles Rams might just be the key that unlocks the trapped star.

It likely won’t require a monumental investment. RG3 is so eager to re-establish himself, he’ll no doubt be interested in a short-term show-me contract that allows him to regain his footing while maintaining the flexibility to tap back into the financial market sooner rather than later.

That makes sense for the Rams, who can then use the 15th pick on a much-needed wide receiver to complement Austin — and RG3 — and circle back to a development quarterback in the second or third round.

If it works, the Rams might have found the 26-year-old quarterback of their present and future.

If it doesn’t, they can easily and quickly move on.

My problem with RG3 is that you have to almost go back to square one if he's going to be the starter. And devise a new offense for him to work out of. Sure if he has the talent then it's worth it. But not sure he is even better or more prepared then Geno to start in 2016. Unless Mac wants Griffin as our backup over Geno and Petty in 2016. IMO they aren't going to sign him. What Belichick does on these interviews is to ask questions about basic Xs and Os and to see if a player knows how to play the game. He did that with the Bills Wr Chris Hogan who answered the questions right and they subsequently offered him a deal. Also the guy on the field impressed them. They couldn't cover him. So with RG did he answer the questions given to him by (you would assume) Gailey, etc. Griffin will not get the support system and backup from the owner he had in Wash. In the long run it backfired for Robert because he ended up losing the locker room. And the coaching staff.

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You're probably right, but they are kicking the tires, which at this point might come at a very low cost with little risk.   If they think there is a possibility he can compete, they could try to add him cheaply. I'm all for an open QB competition among any QBs on the roster.  Why not see what RGIII has?

I can't decide what part of his body is my reason for not wanting to see what he has left, his knee, his brain, or his heart. Take your pick.

13 minutes ago, cant wait said:

It's worth noting that RG is still pretty young, he's only a year older than petty

He's been pretty beat up.  

But there are non physical issues too.  I just read this in the Washington post and it concerns me:

“There was not a friendship there,” Cooley said. “Now again, I don’t know if it’s even relevant, but I just think it’s so interesting, and I just think it plays into so much of how much Robert disliked anyone ever challenging what he was. And when people started to challenge that Kirk might be the guy, it became even worse. It became even more awkward. Let me stop with that.”

Cooley also spoke explicitly of the longstanding impression that some of Griffin’s teammates did not enjoy playing with him.

“The offensive line did not like Robert Griffin,” Cooley said. “A lot of the receivers did not like Robert Griffin. The offensive line had a problem with Robert, because they were considered for a year-and-a-half or two years a terrible offensive line that couldn’t protect a quarterback. A lot of that isn’t true. A lot of that was Robert. A lot of the sacks were put on Robert. Want to believe it or not, they were, okay? Football-wise, they were: it was Robert.

“Robert never took [responsibility] for that,” Cooley said. “Robert continued to let his offensive line eat the blame. They don’t like it. They hate that, man. That kills them. Perception is the only thing an offensive line has, because 99 percent of people watching football have no idea what an offensive line’s doing.

Archived