Shefter: RGIII VISITING JETS -- MERGED

Maxman

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe because, as of today at least, RGIII is Ryan Leaf to Luck's Peyton Manning?

RGIII had success before Luck.  Won the division.  Won 10 as a rookie.  Took the league by storm

RGIII was only taken down by injury.  Playing on a leg he should have rested.

Leaf was a total bust.  On and off the field. 

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

The LA story is from yesterday.

The Jets are a better situation for RGIII.  Don't think he doesn't know that.

LA was great for him when it was assumed that Fitz would sign here & Kaep in Denver.

Why would any QB ever want to play for LA or Fisher?  He doesn't like to pass, is conservative on offense and prefers a 1970's style offense and may not be there after next season.  Over Chan and his offense?  Sure

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

My problem with RG3 is that you have to almost go back to square one if he's going to be the starter. And devise a new offense for him to work out of. Sure if he has the talent then it's worth it. But not sure he is even better or more prepared then Geno to start in 2016. Unless Mac wants Griffin as our backup over Geno and Petty in 2016. IMO they aren't going to sign him. What Belichick does on these interviews is to ask questions about basic Xs and Os and to see if a player knows how to play the game. He did that with the Bills Wr Chris Hogan who answered the questions right and they subsequently offered him a deal. Also the guy on the field impressed them. They couldn't cover him. So with RG did he answer the questions given to him by (you would assume) Gailey, etc. Griffin will not get the support system and backup from the owner he had in Wash. In the long run it backfired for Robert because he ended up losing the locker room. And the coaching staff.

I really doubt that Belicheat is the only guy to ask football questions on interviews. I hate when people make articles such as the one with Hogan and the Patriots as if the Pats are the only football team to have figured out that maybe they should see if the football players they're interviewing understand the game of football. 

Sorry for the rant but **** Bill Belichick and his "special" interview process. 

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I really doubt that Belicheat is the only guy to ask football questions on interviews. I hate when people make articles such as the one with Hogan and the Patriots as if the Pats are the only football team to have figured out that maybe they should see if the football players they're interviewing understands the game of football. 

Sorry for the rant but **** Bill Belichick and his "special" interview process. 

Belichick needs to start asking: "Are you now, or will be in the future, a murderer?"

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Based on....? Petty is only a legend here in JN... why the hell would Mac ditch Geno for Petty? Petty will have to beat Geno in camp to keep his roster spot (if you assume like i do that we're drafting a QB)... and honestly, if Petty CAN'T beat out Geno this summer, then he should be sent his walking papers. 

Because Petty is Mac's pick, Geno was Idziot's pick...get it? got it? good.

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

LA was great for him when it was assumed that Fitz would sign here & Kaep in Denver.

Why would any QB ever want to play for LA or Fisher?  He doesn't like to pass, is conservative on offense and prefers a 1970's style offense and may not be there after next season.  Over Chan and his offense?  Sure

It's not a question of any QB but RGIII. Hearing this makes me wonder is it playing the position or his brand. You hear a lot about athletes and the LA connection to movie and music seen with RGIII's rep you have to wonder where his head is?

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Uh yea it is - top priority #1 

You see, when i read this - it basically means everything you say  is just fodder. You're making decision based on your own personal feelings about someone. I don't like Geno... but I'm sure sh*t not gonna cut him. That's something an idiot would do - or a terrible General manager. There's literally no incentive besides appeasing you gorgons. 

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You see, when i read this - it basically means everything you say  is just fodder. You're making decision based on your own personal feelings about someone. I don't like Geno... but I'm sure sh*t not gonna cut him. That's something an idiot would do - or a terrible General manager. There's literally no incentive besides appeasing you gorgons. 

That's because you can't read between the lines.  You read what appeases your limited brain.  I base my decisions on several factors not short sighted impulse reactions like, I don't like Geno.  Mac CUT Coples who had way more upside than Geno has ever had because it saved the team money in the long run and he didn't see Coples being a good fit.  Don't look now but Geno is not far behind.  With all this talk about letting Fitz walk over too much cash, where is the FO saying Geno is the answer?  NOWHERE.  They are talking about Kap, Hoyer, RGIII, maybe even Petty until they draft another QB.  Geno, while not a burden to the cap right now, is still an albatross to this organization...and that's just for starters.      

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

That's because you can't read between the lines.  You read what appeases your limited brain.  I base my decisions on several factors not short sighted impulse reactions like, I don't like Geno.  Mac CUT Coples who had way more upside than Geno has ever had because it saved the team money in the long run and he didn't see Coples being a good fit.  Geno, while not a burden to the cap right now, is still an albatross to this organization...and that's just for starters.      

if he's such an albatross, why hasn't Mac cut Geno? 

43 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

It's not a question of any QB but RGIII. Hearing this makes me wonder is it playing the position or his brand. You hear a lot about athletes and the LA connection to movie and music seen with RGIII's rep you have to wonder where his head is?

This would or could be true if he were actually choosing where he plays, if he had multiple offers and took LA.  But when this nonsense was written no one offered him a shot and LA looked to be the only place without a QB rumor

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

if he's such an albatross, why hasn't Mac cut Geno? 

Being an albatross and not being cut are 2 different things.  Simple reason is he's dirt cheap. If he isn't traded (who on earth would trade for him, he has zero value) this will be his last year on the roster. Any back up is more expensive nowadays. It's not like they are hoping he finally 'sees the light'.  Where was the support for Geno when the Jets under Fitz went through a brutal losing streak in the middle of the season?  It's totally irrelevant that he's even on the roster.    However, with the bad history that is Geno Smith, I cut his azz. Addition by subtraction.  I count my losses. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.  

Being an albatross and not being cut are 2 different things.  Simple reason is he's dirt cheap. If he isn't traded (who on earth would trade for him, he has zero value) this will be his last year on the roster. Any back up is more expensive nowadays. It's not like they are hoping he finally 'sees the light'.  Where was the support for Geno when the Jets under Fitz went through a brutal losing streak in the middle of the season?  It's totally irrelevant that he's even on the roster.    However, with the bad history that is Geno Smith, I cut his azz. Addition by subtraction.  I count my losses. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.  

Says a lot about how bad Petty's been, doesn't it.

Do you trust Mac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Paradis said:

Says a lot about how bad Petty's been, doesn't it.

Do you trust Mac?

I'll answer that after this draft.  I wasn't gaga over all the high priced contracts he dished out last year.  And he was very lucky to strike gold with how Fitz played.  This past draft is still out for review but he did get Williams and swindled Da Bears getting Marshall.  D Smith is a bust.  Petty was a gamble so its still in question but you cant hold it against Mac if he doesn't pan out. I'd say he's doing a good job thus far.  I like that he let Ivory go and signed Powell who is really coming into his own. Ivory was just always hurt.  And the Forte signing is a big thumbs up. This draft will speak volumes about Mac's insight.    

I'll answer that after this draft.  I wasn't gaga over all the high priced contracts he dished out last year.  And he was very lucky to strike gold with how Fitz played.  This past draft is still out for review but he did get Williams and swindled Da Bears getting Marshall.  D Smith is a bust.  Petty was a gamble so its still in question but you cant hold it against Mac if he doesn't pan out. I'd say he's doing a good job thus far.  I like that he let Ivory go and signed Powell who is really coming into his own. Ivory was just always hurt.  And the Forte signing is a big thumbs up. This draft will speak volumes about Mac's insight.    

So it's safe to say he's been pulling his weight thus far. Can we not trust him to handle the QB situation? He handled it last year, didn't he? Instead of calling for scalps, let's see what he does.

Just now, Paradis said:

So it's safe to say he's been pulling his weight thus far. Can we not trust him to handle the QB situation? He handled it last year, didn't he? Instead of calling for scalps, let's see what he does.

I have no problem with that. I know Mac will not be relying on Smith to be the starter so I have no fear there. I trust he will find a franchise QB one way or another.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Chan + Marshall + Decker would revive his career.

7 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Even though I think this a negotiating tactic with Fitz..it's worth kicking the tires. What does alarm me just as much as his play..is RGIII was a bit on the diva side towards the end of his tenure in WAS with the notes and stuff..I think he'd get eaten alive in NY.

It's no negotiating tactic.  The Jets are interested in RGIII.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

You're probably right, but they are kicking the tires, which at this point might come at a very low cost with little risk.   If they think there is a possibility he can compete, they could try to add him cheaply. I'm all for an open QB competition among any QBs on the roster.  Why not see what RGIII has?

Rams WRs (quick/Stedman/austin) vs. Jets WRs(Marshall/Decker/?)

Im sure RG# sees where he can have a bigger impact!

Gurley vs. Powell/Forte is a wash IMO

37 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Chan + Marshall + Decker would revive his career.

He's been doing it for QB's since aikman but that's a super valid point. Sometimes you just need the right coach/player combination before things start to click. Brees/Payton and Palmer/Arians come to mind. If we get RG for cheap that's a free lottery ticket 

Wow, all this talk about Geno being an idiot, and yet there is a group on here interested in signing RGIII. RGIII is like Geno with some more talent and a limited amount of success. And with way more ego and idiocy. I live in Northern Va now, so it's Redskins country. No one is upset RGIII is gone and the papers were full of "RGIII is acting like an ass again" articles.

I liked him as much as anyone, but from watching games, if you think Kaep is bad at understanding an NFL offense, you ain't seen nothing until you see RGIII. And once they starting limiting his running, to, you know, actually give him a chance to last more than 2 years in the NFL, he looked a lot less special. Or more "Special". And even when they wanted him to run less, he still took off on some reckless runs that got him banged up. And he's lost some of that athleticism. So, you have a QB with a big arm, but doesn't may much NFL QB savvy, who relies on athleticism to make exciting running plays, except that injuries have reduced that athleticism noticeably. 

Where do I sign up!? 

Signing RGIII would be a "same old Jets" signing, where they sign the splashy name guy for excitement, but who isn't the answer at all. The only upsided is McCags is a grown up, so I'd assume the money wouldn't be tremendous nor the years. 

Archived