Keith Emerson- RIP,

southparkcpa

Just read this, too.  Goddam it.  All the greats/immortals from that era are nearly all gone.  I saw them a bunch of times, too.  Incredible musician.  Whether he was at the organ, synthesizer, or piano.  RIP, maestro.

One of my favorite moments.  The performance sounds like it's sped up.

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just read this, too.  Goddam it.  All the greats/immortals from that era are nearly all gone.  I saw them a bunch of times, too.  Incredible musician.  Whether he was at the organ, synthesizer, or piano.  RIP, maestro.

One of my favorite moments.  The performance sounds like it's sped up.

Im embarassed to tell you I turned down ZEP tickets in 77 to see ELP.  I have no regrets.  ELP was my very 1st real passion band.

RIP Mr. Emerson.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Im embarassed to tell you I turned down ZEP tickets in 77 to see ELP.  I have no regrets.  ELP was my very 1st real passion band.

RIP Mr. Emerson.

A bunch of my friends and I were heavily into ELP as well.  Started when a classmate brought in the first ELP album and we tried to figure out what instrument Keith was playing.  Those were the days before polyphonic synthesizers.  Gonna go listen to "Karn Evil 9" and think about the old days.  What an incredible song and record.

BTW, back then, it would have been a difficult choice for me, too.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

A bunch of my friends and I were heavily into ELP as well.  Started when a classmate brought in the first ELP album and we tried to figure out what instrument Keith was playing.  Those were the days before polyphonic synthesizers.  Gonna go listen to "Karn Evil 9" and think about the old days.  What an incredible song and record.

BTW, back then, it would have been a difficult choice for me, too.

So I saw ELP with the full orchestra in MSG, June 1977.  It was fantastic.    

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im in my office, tax season.  Im blasting Tarkus on youtube!

lol  Nice.  "Tarkus" is an incredible album.  Really showcases Keith's dexterity and imagination on the keyboard.  Thinking about it, "Trilogy" might be my sentimental favorite.  Such a great time to be young.

30 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

lol  Nice.  "Tarkus" is an incredible album.  Really showcases Keith's dexterity and imagination on the keyboard.  Thinking about it, "Trilogy" might be my sentimental favorite.  Such a great time to be young.

LOVE TRILOGY!!!!   The part of lying to you makes me cry... I sent this letter hoping it might reach your hand.

I am shaken.  Now home, blasting it on my home SONOS system.

38 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Rip

wow a band with no guitarist. Brilliant stuff

hey on the bright side, weve still got kanye west 

Greg Lake played both bass and guitar.  Not bad at either.

11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

LOVE TRILOGY!!!!   The part of lying to you makes me cry... I sent this letter hoping it might reach your hand.

I am shaken.  Now home, blasting it on my home SONOS system.

Yeah, this is bothering me as well.  I tried to find my piano player buddy who absolutely idolized Emerson.  Unfortunately, I can't find a phone # or email.  I know he is crushed.

You can't imagine (okay maybe you can) how many times I hum the main melody to "The Endless Enigma".  This is a magical piece of music.

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Greg Lake played both bass and guitar.  Not bad at either.

Yeah, this is bothering me as well.  I tried to find my piano player buddy who absolutely idolized Emerson.  Unfortunately, I can't find a phone # or email.  I know he is crushed.

You can't imagine (okay maybe you can) how many times I hum the main melody to "The Endless Enigma".  This is a magical piece of music.

Love the new sig line.....   And yes, Trilogy is friggin great.   Just a place where I can hang my pride....

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Love the new sig line.....   And yes, Trilogy is friggin great.   Just a place where I can hang my pride....

That's twice in what a month that I've changed my avatar and sig.  Once for Bowie, and now Keith. southpark, not many of the grand masters of rock remain, my friend.  I need to cool out with some more ELP and wine.  After I pickup my wife.  Have a great weekend.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Wow.  Just read that Emerson may have died from a self-inflicted gunshot to the head.  Anyone know if he was ill or suffered from depression?

https://www.yahoo.com/music/keith-emerson-emerson-lake-palmer-dead-71-suspected-223952403.html

reports are that he was suffering from degenerative nerve damage and could barely play and yes, depression was a factor.  Changes nothing for me, this is the real world and we are all humans with weaknesses.   He accomplished much in life.  Still on in my house, WORKS Volume I.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

reports are that he was suffering from degenerative nerve damage and could barely play and yes, depression was a factor.  Changes nothing for me, this is the real world and we are all humans with weaknesses.   He accomplished much in life.  Still on in my house, WORKS Volume I.

Yeah, changes nothing for me, too.  Sometimes the pain is just too much.  I get that.

• 1 year later...

Archived