Jets sign TE Kellen Davis

Morrissey

4 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Relax people, Kellen Davis won't be asked to catch passes.  He is strictly a blocking TE because Amaro and Sudfeld suck at blocking.

He was asked to catch a pretty important pass in 2015 and f'd it up royally. 

We don't use pass catching TE's.  Gailly just doesn't.

This is a O-line TE.  He blocks.  

You still don't get it, do you? He'll block! That's what he does! THAT'S ALL HE DOES!

You can't stop him from blocking! He'll wade through DE's, reach down their throats and pull their ****in' heart out, while blocking!

Or something.

46 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dont know why people are going apesh*t over this. He's a backup TE on a 1 year deal. Whoop-de fricken doo.

Some back up TE can actually block, run routes and catch, and they can be had in late rounds, Mac

will find some excuse not to draft one.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Or beaver "beavers" had to be inseminated to spawn the rodents needed to fell the mighty trees?

Personally, I gave a lot for the cause, so you better believe that I'm emotionally invested in this development.

Does this show us that money isn't as tight as we think?  I know it's under a million, but it's for a guy who was one of the worst players on the team last season.  Wouldn't expect them to spend a nickel on him.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Does this show us that money isn't as tight as we think?  I know it's under a million, but it's for a guy who was one of the worst players on the team last season.  Wouldn't expect them to spend a nickel on him.

^This.

Let's be real here as much as I don't like Davis, shame on:

Jace Amaro
Zach Sudfeld
Wes Saxton
Brandon Bostick

If they all don't take advantage of the gaping hole we
have at TE and carve out a role in this offense

Davis will most likely be a camp body through August. He committed WAY TOO many mistakes and drops last year. He'll be a filler and, hopefully, MacCags will swipe up whomever can be serviceable via the draft or Post TC cuts. Plenty of other blocking veteran TEs usually available in early September. 

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

Offseason salary cap is based on top 51 salaries. I doubt Davis salary is within top 51. 

12 hours ago, KRL said:

Let's be real here as much as I don't like Davis, shame on:

Jace Amaro
Zach Sudfeld
Wes Saxton
Brandon Bostick

If they all don't take advantage of the gaping hole we
have at TE and carve out a role in this offense

Amaro will start at te and if either Decker or Marshall get hurt he better step up because we have no depth at receiver.

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

It's not the total. It's the incremental over someone else. Davis being on the roster doesn't cost $950K more on the cap. He costs $950K but (depending on when you're counting) the previously lowest guy at #51 or #53 no longer counts. 

The net cost is a lot more like $500K than $1M.

Just now, Tinstar said:

Amaro was a mistake that I am hoping this front office will correct as best they can . You do not spend a draft pick in the 1st 3 rounds on a 1 dimensional TE  from a spread offense .

Tony Gonzalez had one of his best statistical seasons playing in Gailey's offense

6 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Tony Gonzalez had one of his best statistical seasons playing in Gailey's offense

And?  Tony G goes down as one of the greatest TEs in league history (arguably "the" best).  He re-wrote the book on what a TE should be.  No matter who he played for, Tony G would have still been a monster.  Frankly, I don't get the Gailey love.   

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

And?  Tony G goes down as one of the greatest TEs in league history (arguably "the" best).  He re-wrote the book on what a TE should be.  No matter who he played for, Tony G would have still been a monster.  Frankly, I don't get the Gailey love.   

You act like tight ends can't play in the spread offense clearly they can just split them wide

Archived