Francessa: Jets called Bucs about Glennon: MERGED

AFJF

33 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets are not looking for a 2 year solution to the qb position.  they want qbs to develop.  they really don't have much interest in fitz.

the jets pick up the phone and inquire about a few qb's. lol @ this meaning they have no interest in fitz

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Here is where I get confused. People would go ga-ga on this board if Wentz fell to 20.  Some posters are hyping the idea of taking Lynch at 20. Why is it insane to trade for Glennon at 20 if he is perceived to be a capable NFL starter that can be developed even further by good coaching?  It's like people are always willing to gamble on the unknown but have a difficult time putting a fair value on a known.  Glennon has played pro ball and for the most part played it pretty well.  Why is giving up a 20 for him insane if he is NFL ready now with some upside?

For me the biggest problem is he's a free agent after next year.   You have time to assess a draft pick before paying him. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

not beyond 1 year.  they prefer a longer term solution.  mccags has already spoken about drafting a qb every year.  

of course its beyond 1 year. it will be 2 years with a phantom 3rd or 4th year tacked on.

qb's coming off of 4000 yard, 31 td seasons dont sign 1 year contracts for 7m

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

of course its beyond 1 year. it will be 2 years with a phantom 3rd or 4th year tacked on.

mccags does not want to continue to invest years in older below than average qbs except as a last resort.  he is looking at trades, free agents and draftable qbs in addition to fitz.  he isn't locked into fitz.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because its flawed to suggest he is "a capable NFL starter", has "upside" and is a "known".  None of those things are necessarily true.  We know more about him than we do Wentz, but a lot of what we know about him isn't all that good. 

Also, one has to ask, if Glennon were really a proven commodity....why did the Bucs draft Jameis Winston?

I take your point on Winston although with all the coaching changes in TB, that may be part of it (Schiano, Lovie and now Koetter). Evaluating Glennon is somewhat subjective.  My only point is taking a QB in the first round is a crap shoot and people seem to have no trouble taking a flyer on a total unknown hoping to hit the lottery while using the pick on a "semi-known" is considered sacrilege.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

mccags does not want to continue to invest years in older below than average qbs except as a last resort.  he is looking at trades, free agents and draftable qbs in addition to fitz.  he isn't locked into fitz.

how do you know what he is thinking?

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm fairly convinced Macc is reaching out to every team that has a QB they could potentially trade in order to create the illusion we don't need Fitz. 

Next on the list:

* Steelers (Landry Jones)

* Packers (Brett Hundley)

* Titans (Zach Mettenberger)

It's not an illusion, Mac gave fitz his offer and now he's got to prepare for life without him. We need to add a QB and its up to him to find one for the right price

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

For me the biggest problem is he's a free agent after next year.   You have time to assess a draft pick before paying him. 

Would you be willing to deal #20 for him if he offered the team a reasonable extension?

Tampa has no reason to just up and get rid of him unless they get a very nice return.  They smartly are not treating backup Qb's like garbage to be tossed away just because they have a starter and are under no pressure at all.  They will happily let him walk if he wants and get a comp pick.  Smart teams keep good cheap backups if they can becasue those that don't have their seasons ended if the starter get hurt.  ie Dallas last year, the Bears the year cutler got hurt and the legendary Caleb Haney took over.

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Would you be willing to deal #20 for him if he offered the team a reasonable extension?

That's a good question.  I honestly don't know enough about him to say yes or no, but if Mac/Gaily decide he has more of a chance to become a franchise than any QB we could draft, then absolutely.

I find it difficult to believe he would do that considering what these young QB's, that have shown little success, are getting paid.

Understanding the current asking price for everybody is a 1st round pick, wondering if TB would prefer not to trade him to the Jets and perhaps trade him somewhere else, all things being equal, considering the perception is that we have fleeced them multiple times in the past (revis, Keyshawn).

Tampa doesn't really think someone is dumb enough to give them a #1 pick.  This may be their way of saying that they are not looking to trade him unless someone wets their pants.  

I can't imagine them or anyone from turning down a #2 pick for a back up QB but even that is to steep a price.  

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

based on his actions.

his actions are telling me that he is looking for a day 1 starter since he dioesnt have one on the roster. his actions are also telling me that he wants fitz to be that guy, but if he cant, he is looking at 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tampa has no reason to just up and get rid of him unless they get a very nice return.  They smartly are not treating backup Qb's like garbage to be tossed away just because they have a starter and are under no pressure at all.  They will happily let him walk if he wants and get a comp pick.  Smart teams keep good cheap backups if they can becasue those that don't have their seasons ended if the starter get hurt.  ie Dallas last year, the Bears the year cutler got hurt and the legendary Caleb Haney took over.

People talk way to much about comp picks.   They are subjective and only come if you don't sign any FA.   It's not a guaranteed anything. 

So so if they don't trade him there choice is lose him or have to tag him which they will never do.   I would have no problem giving up a 2nd and try to work out a new deal but I would be ok with letting him play one year.   We can use tag on him next year. 

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

People talk way to much about comp picks.   They are subjective and only come if you don't sign any FA.   It's not a guaranteed anything. 

So so if they don't trade him there choice is lose him or have to tag him which they will never do.   I would have no problem giving up a 2nd and try to work out a new deal but I would be ok with letting him play one year.   We can use tag on him next year. 

Yeah I know all about how comp picks work.  The point is if you are giving up a 2nd rounder they may listen to that, but you are not getting him on the cheap.  No reason to get rid of a good backup for medium to low return.

In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

In the same parlance, in a world of sh*tty QB's, the team with even a semi-decent #2 is king.

This is bluff, pure and simple.  Everyone on earth knows Glennon (today) is simply not worth a #1 pick.

Buuuuuuuut, the list of available QB's is so bad, the prospects of draftable QB's in the short term so weak, that the Bucs are betting some desperate sods will bite this dangling wiggly bait anyway.

Trade a first round pick for a guy on a one-year deal.  Almost requires you trade + sign, and a guy just traded for a #1 pick will want #1 pick money or will tell folks to sod off.  Glennon holds all the cards there.

No.  Even if I liked Glennon, no.  Jets have no leverage, and no power in a trade beyond saying "no".

You, as a GM and Head Coach, make that trade, Glennon for a #1 and #1 Dollars, it better work and work in years 1 and 2.  Or else your career in NY is over.

No.

49 minutes ago, ylekram said:

the jets pick up the phone and inquire about a few qb's. lol @ this meaning they have no interest in fitz

Jets interest in Fitzpatrick is looking to be about as strong as Fitzpatrick's arm right about now. 

Funny we gave away a late 1st for Doug Jolley lol, and drafted M Nugent with our 2nd that same season.

IF Glennon agreed to a 5 year contract similar to what the 20th overall pick who is a QB would get than yes I would do it, but that's why you draft the QB or as 1 poster said the unknown now, you hold all the cards the first 5 years, at a team friendly number, Glennon won't come at a team friendly number past this season, and if he sucks this season then the 1st looks like a waste again.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Funny we gave away a late 1st for Doug Jolley lol, and drafted M Nugent with our 2nd that same season.

IF Glennon agreed to a 5 year contract similar to what the 20th overall pick who is a QB would get than yes I would do it, but that's why you draft the QB or as 1 poster said the unknown now, you hold all the cards the first 5 years, at a team friendly number, Glennon won't come at a team friendly number past this season, and if he sucks this season then the 1st looks like a waste again.

No we didn't.  we acquired a proven TE, moved down about 18 spots and acquired other picks one of which led to Kerry Rhodes who was really good for a few years.

10 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If you think Glennon can be your QB, you go higher than a fourth.

If you don't, you don't call the Bucs at all.

looking as how crappy the QB situation around the NFL is... I'd honest sign fitz or rg3 (rg3 the only thing you really gotta worry about is can he stay healthy) ... fitz - we know what we're getting.

For TB, there is somewhat of a "schmuck insurance" element here.  The 1st Round Pick is the insurance.

If they let Glennon go, and Jameis gets hurt, or Glennon goes to the Pro Bowl, they can save face if they get a first round pick for him.  They can let his contract run out and get a comp pick-that is what happens.   The smart move would be to trade him next year for a pick better than the expected comp pick.  If TB also is out of the playoffs, you start Glennon to show him off.

I don't know what comp pick they get, but that is the benchmark.

The Jets should have thought about Mo similarly.

59 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets interest in Fitzpatrick is looking to be about as strong as Fitzpatrick's arm right about now. 

i disagree. there is no need to bid against yourself. fitz is asking for too much $$.. from what i understand, denver showed some interest, and like the jets, thought fitz wants too much money. so the jets stand put with thier offer. if fitz does not get any real interest from another team, fitz will come crawling back to the jets with open arms. if fitz garners serious consideration from another team, the jets will up thier offer and welcome fitz back with open arms. fitz will be the day 1 starter for the jets. book it

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

i disagree. there is no need to bid against yourself. fitz is asking for too much $$.. from what i understand, denver showed some interest, and like the jets, thought fitz wants too much money. so the jets stand put with thier offer. if fitz does not get any real interest from another team, fitz will come crawling back to the jets with open arms. if fitz garners serious consideration from another team, the jets will up thier offer and welcome fitz back with open arms. fitz will be the day 1 starter for the jets. book it

If the jets wanted to make fitz the day 1 starter they would have offered him more than chase daniel

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

No we didn't.  we acquired a proven TE, moved down about 18 spots and acquired other picks one of which led to Kerry Rhodes who was really good for a few years.

I'm glad you clarified that. Everyone always misrepresents that trade.

2 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

I would trade a second if Glennon agreed to a team friendly long term contract. The guy will be free agent in a year. 

This. Wait till the draft. Fcuking Bucs will cave in. 

If Glennon has 1 year left (which I think is the case) then it puts Macc in a tough spot.  We'd need to extend Glennon before he even plays a down here.  Even if he's mediocre this year but shows some signs of promise, he's going to want at least Osweiler money (4 years $18M per).

On the bright side, Glennon is a ready-to-go type QB because he's been in the league a few years and has played a few games already. 

Side note - If we trade a 2nd round pick for Glennon we can refer to that pick as the "Tampa 2".

Archived