Alert : Massive noreaster / huge snowstorm on way Sunday - Monday

cookiemonsta

Fishy origin of bizarre fossil 'monster'

Reconstruction of what the Tully Monster might have have looked like 300 million years agoImage copyrightSean McMahon at Yale University
Image captionReconstruction of what the Tully Monster might have have looked like 300 million years ago

Scientists say a worm-like fossil with mysterious origins is actually the ancestor of living fish.

The 300 million-year-old animal was found at an Illinois mine in 1958 by fossil collector Francis Tully. 

The "Tully monster" has been a puzzle to scientists ever since, and has been likened to worms and molluscs. 

US researchers say the fossil is a backboned animal rather than an invertebrate as once thought, based on an analysis of 1,000 museum specimens.

Their findings, published in Nature, place it firmly on the tree of life of vertebrates and related to fish such as lamprey and hagfish.

It has a rudimentary backbone, which has been misinterpreted in the past as a trace of gut, said Victoria McCoy of Yale University.

"The Tully Monster is very weird looking but we found it is related to modern lamprey," she told BBC News.

"It shows us how evolution can take something very familiar and make it very weird without changing what we know about the tree of life."

What are lampreys?

• Lampreys are the world's oldest living vertebrates, dating back to before the reign of the dinosaurs. 
  • They are a very ancient and primitive group of jawless vertebrates, which appear to have changed little over time. 
  • Most species of lamprey are parasites and have long, eel-like bodies. 
  • They use their jawless mouths to stick to a host fish by suction before sucking out the living tissues. 

Ancient landscape

Remains of the Tully monster (Tullimonstrum gregarium) have been found only in the Mazon Creek fossil beds of Illinois.

It once swam in the warm coastal waters of a 300 million year old ocean, alongside jellyfish, worms, and sea cucumbers. 

The animal was soft-bodied making it particularly difficult to classify from traces of the tissues that remain.

A specimenImage copyrightPaul Mayer at the Field Museum of Natural History
Image captionA specimen showing the animal's eye bar, tail fin, and the proboscis and jaw folded back over the body.

Past interpretations of the fossil have likened it to a worm, a mollusc, an arthropod or a conodont (the group of extinct microfossils believed to be distantly related to living fish).

Dr McCoy and colleagues analysed more than 1,200 museum specimens in order to find out where the animal belongs on the evolutionary tree.

They say it was about 10 cm long, with a slender, segmented body, eyes projecting at each end of a long rigid bar, a tail fin, and jaws containing rows of teeth at the end of a proboscis.

The research was carried out by teams at Yale University, the American Museum of Natural History in New York, Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History.

Who was Caroline Herschel?

Caroline HerschelImage copyrightSHEILA TERRY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

The pioneering astronomer Caroline Herschel has become the subject of a Google Doodle commemorating her 226th birthday on 15 March.

But who was she and what contribution did she make in the history of science?

Who was Caroline Herschel?

The astronomer was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1750 - the eighth of 10 children born to the oboist Isaac Herschel and Anna Ilse Moritzen. When she was aged 10, she caught typhus, which stunted her growth; her adult height was reported as four ft three ins.

In 1772, she left Hanover to live with her brother William in Bath, England. She initially assisted his endeavours as a musician, but as his interests increasingly turned to astronomy, so did hers.

However, she would become a significant astronomer in her own right. 

Watching the heavens: The female pioneers of science

What is she remembered for?

Ms Herschel discovered eight comets, rediscovered another and assembled a catalogue of 560 previously unrecorded stars.

She was also the first woman to be paid for her contribution to science. Caroline Herschel was awarded an annual salary of £50 by King George III in 1796 for her role as assistant to her brother, who by then had become Sir William Herschel.

After William married, she moved out of his property. But this also seems to have coincided with her becoming known as a scientist in her own right.

Google doodleImage copyrightGoogle

Does she receive enough recognition?

Ms Herschel is not a household name, but she was the first woman to be awarded the Gold Medal of the UK's Royal Astronomical Society in 1838. 

It took until 1996 for another woman to win this award, when the American Vera Rubin was honoured for her work on galaxy rotation rates, which led to the theory of dark matter.

Her name has been bestowed on the comet 35P/Herschel-Rigollet, the asteroid 281 Lucretia (after her middle name), and the lunar crater C. Herschel.

And the Google Doodle can't help but boost her profile.

Small drone risks to aircraft 'minimal'

Turkey vultureImage copyrightSPL
Image captionTurkey vultures pose more of a threat to aircraft than drones, suggests research

The risk of a small, consumer drone significantly damaging an aircraft is 'minimal', suggests a study. 

It used data on bird strikes to get a sense of what would happen if a small drone collided with a plane.

Only 3% of collisions between aircraft and birds similar in weight to domestic drones result in damage, found the George Mason University researchers. 

An even smaller number caused injuries to humans, it found, and many of these were caused by flocks of birds. 

No fatalities

The research project was prompted by the recent introduction of rules in the US that make owners of drones weighing more than 250g register their craft with the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). 

"Contrary to sensational media headlines, the skies are crowded not by drones, but by fowl," wrote Eli Dourado and Samuel Hammond in an article summarising their research.

US airspace is home to about 10 billion birds, said the researchers, but collisions between fowl and aircraft have remained rare. 

The pair analysed 25 years of data gathered by the FAA on bird strikes to determine what damage a drone might do.

Of the 160,000 bird strikes recorded since 1990, 14,314 caused damage, revealed the analysis. About 80% of the damage was done by birds such as turkey vultures and geese, which significantly outweigh domestic drones. 

About 97% of the strikes that involved small birds did no damage to the aircraft they hit, said the researchers. 

"Given the voluntary nature of strike reporting, the true percentage of strikes causing damage is probably much lower, as strikes that do not cause damage can be either missed or under-reported," they wrote.

The researchers did point out that because birds and drones are made of different materials, more damage might occur if a drone hits a plane. It urged the FAA to carry out research to determine the likely damage.

While there have been wildlife strikes that did cause fatalities, none involved a bird that was similar in size to a domestic drone, they said.

If drones collided with planes in the same proportion as birds do - roughly one bird in one million - then it could be a long time before any drone-aircraft impact does damage, they said. 

"One damaging incident will occur no more than every 1.87 million years of 2kg [drone] flight time," said the researchers. Fatal incidents will be even rarer. 

"This appears to be an acceptable risk to the airspace," they concluded.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/01/23/national/snow-stormy-weather-heads-western-central-japan/

Snow, stormy weather heads for western, central Japan

An incoming cold air mass is set to unleash stormy weather across Japan, with the western, southwestern and central parts of the country being warned to prepare for heavy snowfall and strong winds, the Meteorological Agency said Saturday.

The severe weather is predicted to last through Monday, with temperatures in the western and southwestern areas expected to fall sharply below seasonal averages, the agency said, warning of traffic disruptions, frozen water pipes and crop damage.

By 6 a.m. Sunday, the Hokuriku and Chugoku regions are forecast to get up to 40 centimeters of snow, with 30 cm falling in the Tohoku, Tokai, Kinki and northern Kyushu regions, and 15 cm to 20 cm in the Kanto-Koshin, Shikoku and southern Kyushu regions.

The Tokyo metropolitan area, which was hit by heavy snow on Monday, is likely to receive about 2 cm of snow.

Weather officials said the situation resembles the one observed between Dec. 31, 2010, and Jan. 1, 2011. At that time, avalanches hit a ski resort in Tottori Prefecture, leaving four people dead. Also, more than 1,000 cars were stranded on snowy roads in Tottori.

A blizzard dropped some 20 cm of snow on Kagoshima Prefecture five years ago.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/03/16/national/japans-government-to-ask-spa-operators-to-accept-tattooed-foreigners/

Japan’s government to ask spa operators to accept tattooed foreigners

The Japan Tourism Agency decided Wednesday to ask operators of accommodation and other resort facilities to allow foreign visitors with tattoos to use spas.

The agency plans to introduce examples for avoiding problems, such as the use of seals to hide tattoos and setting certain times for tattooed visitors, in order to encourage spa operators to provide their services to more foreign guests.

The number of visitors who come to Japan to use hot springs is increasing, but many face problems with spa operators refusing them the use of facilities due to their tattoos.

Such problems reflect a limited understanding in Japan about acquiring tattoos for fashion, religious reasons or tribal customs.

At a news conference, Japan Tourism Agency Commissioner Akihiko Tamura said he wants visitors to enjoy hot springs in Japan, but it is difficult to set a blanket rule on the tattoo issue.

“We want to seek the understanding of facility operators, as well as users,” Tamura added.

8 minutes ago, cookiemonsta said:

I will take the bet. If I am right I want you to buy me cookies.

Weather Channel is showing PM rain with AM snow showers on Monday morning.  Doesn't seem like a significant snowstorm event.  

Please outline in details your credentials cookie.  Why should we as a collective rely on your judgement?

you want a cookie ?

ok

how much snow will central park get ?

how much snow will montauk get ?

how much snow will e. rutherford NJ get ?

how much snow will danbury, CT get ?

how much snow will monitcello NY get ?

47 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Cookie I've also noticed that you have a -66 rep on here.  Is this because you've predicted wrong in the past?  If so, can you name any predictions where you were spot on?

I know Cookie from Jets Insider. His predictions are hit or miss. He had some very good predictions where I benefited a lot by getting supplies early etc. Of course he had misses as well and he was mocked for that. I personally like Cookie except when he talks football. His football comments are terrible. His weather forecasts are much much better. 

That said, his negative reps are mostly due to insisting on starting weather threads on the main Jets board. I also find that annoying but it comes with the package I guess. Other Jets Insider expats can also tell more about Cookie I believe.

cookie

what is the point of this thread ?  isn't it fair to assume anyone who can read it has internet access, and therefore access to weather info ?

it would be one thing to go door to door in miami to warn them of the coming blizzard, but dude, this is the northeast, snow is no big deal

2 hours ago, Larz said:

cookie

what is the point of this thread ?  isn't it fair to assume anyone who can read it has internet access, and therefore access to weather info ?

it would be one thing to go door to door in miami to warn them of the coming blizzard, but dude, this is the northeast, snow is no big deal

You will not get any big predictions that I make outside of 3 days. I gave you exact snow totals and big snowstorm prediction 5 days out since today is Wednesday and it begins Sunday.     Also I watch a lot of draft films so my comments on the draft are better than my game day predictions .

3 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

I know Cookie from Jets Insider. His predictions are hit or miss. He had some very good predictions where I benefited a lot by getting supplies early etc. Of course he had misses as well and he was mocked for that. I personally like Cookie except when he talks football. His football comments are terrible. His weather forecasts are much much better. 

That said, his negative reps are mostly due to insisting on starting weather threads on the main Jets board. I also find that annoying but it comes with the package I guess. Other Jets Insider expats can also tell more about Cookie I believe.

I love the draft even more than the season if that make sense. I know a lot about the top prospects in the draft and which I think will be good.    I make a lot of big predictions well outside when anyone will make them.

Archived