Jump to content

Bryce Petty.. 2016 expectations ? ? ?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1st team all pro for 12 years. just this one time. make it happen.

Article said that he improved nothing wrong with that. 

the most popular QB on the roster.....until he actually plays

Competently fills in for Geno for a drive during the afc championship game after Watt flattens Geno.  

(Geno then comes back with a vengeance to lead the team on a game winning 4th quarter drive.  Which becomes the spark that propels us to the Lombardi trophy.  Followed by a week long celebration in NYC as fans paint the city green.)

 

Just my best guess.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for letting guys develop and not throwing them to the wolves. 

 

My question though is what are the rules now regarding doing anything at all in the off season? Is it basically he can lift weights and play XBOX? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jett said:

If he doesn't beat out geno next year whether that's the 2nd spot or starting job if Fitz isn't here, we know he will be a bust. 

4th round QBs arent busts.

Anymore than beating out Geno, who's contract will run out next year and never resigned as a backup means anything 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

4th round QBs arent busts.

Anymore than beating out Geno, who's contract will run out next year and never resigned as a backup means anything 

You know what I meant 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-DR-NfhUw

here are some petty highlights.

On some of those he had some nice touch, a few where he zipped it in. I also like that he's not afraid to get tackled. 

 

What kills me about those YouTube highlight vids with sh*t music is the sh*t music and the 'highlight' of a WR smoking a DB off the snap. That's not a QB skill at all and shouldn't be advertised as one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, House Jet said:

PLEASE LET HIM BE GOOD. Not asking for a hall of famer but pretty good and pretty consistent will do just fine

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Oh you mean like another Richard (Mud) Todd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2016 at 9:50 PM, Jet9 said:

I'm all for letting guys develop and not throwing them to the wolves. 

 

My question though is what are the rules now regarding doing anything at all in the off season? Is it basically he can lift weights and play XBOX? 

Tossing him out there as a rookie, unless he's just that ready, is throwing him to the wolves. Their QBC may still be working on his cadence or footwork or even retraining his throwing motion a bit. That's on TOP of learning a new playbook with some new terminology, facing more complex defenses start to finish, and weekly preps for specific defenses while relearning some of those basics. That's just too much, and agree is throwing him to the wolves if he needs that much non-competitive guidance.

Putting him on the field in year 2 is not throwing him to the wolves, though. While I wouldn't expect him to be at his career best, and with a decent chance of a rough time initially (like many young QBs), I don't think it's unreasonable for us to think he should be able to handle on-field snaps without being "ruined" like many fear. 

Unless we pull off a trade for Glennon, or something unexpected along those lines, it's sure looking like we're going to take a QB in this draft (and probably early on at that). If we burn a 1 or a 2 on a QB net month, Petty had better be ready to get onto the field this season or he might have to wait for a long time for his next shot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

leading up to the draft, I think it was one of grudens specials, where they had the top 5 QB's or so.  The kid from UCLA, got a rough review, "if his first read isn't open, he tucks it and runs"

pettys review was just brutal, "if his first read isn't open, he tucks it and gets sacked"

I wanted nothing to do with the kid

he is super raw and probably needs 30 starts to have even a basic clue

he is a coach killer

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Larz said:

leading up to the draft, I think it was one of grudens specials, where they had the top 5 QB's or so.  The kid from UCLA, got a rough review, "if his first read isn't open, he tucks it and runs"

pettys review was just brutal, "if his first read isn't open, he tucks it and gets sacked"

I wanted nothing to do with the kid

he is super raw and probably needs 30 starts to have even a basic clue

he is a coach killer

Ew, really? I didn't remember that. (I believe you; I just don't remember -- or maybe I simply didn't watch it last year).

Well, hopefully he's wrong. Or that he's right about what he was, but that the player he was in college isn't necessarily his future career destiny as a pro. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ew, really? I didn't remember that. (I believe you; I just don't remember -- or maybe I simply didn't watch it last year).

Well, hopefully he's wrong. Or that he's right about what he was, but that the player he was in college isn't necessarily his future career destiny as a pro. 

maybe it was mooch, but yeah he was literally the only QB I didn't want the jets to take. 

its funny, I was warning everybody leading up to FA that this was going to be a slow off season for the jets and I'm the guy going stoic and being negative about everything

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Larz said:

maybe it was mooch, but yeah he was literally the only QB I didn't want the jets to take. 

its funny, I was warning everybody leading up to FA that this was going to be a slow off season for the jets and I'm the guy going stoic and being negative about everything

Happens to the best of us. It's not like it's your fault the Jets are the Jets. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, bust is a tough word though.  I get it :cool:

Yeah I see your point. I feel like 4th round is the cutoff for bust territory. Anything after 3rd you are just hoping for a role player and hope he becomes a starter. But you read these boards and you'd think petty was a first overall pick. I pray he is a good starter one day but Jets fans get carried away with quarterbacks.  Every player it seems that hasn't seen the field can be the 'one' . But probably because the franchise has been so historically starved for a franchise quarterback. I just want a consistent good quarterback. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Fitz returns the Jets have already said that Petty would compete with Geno for the no. 2 job. Not sure if they really meant it or not. But for year 2 you would think if put into a game he would do ok. At least that would be the expectation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

leading up to the draft, I think it was one of grudens specials, where they had the top 5 QB's or so.  The kid from UCLA, got a rough review, "if his first read isn't open, he tucks it and runs"

pettys review was just brutal, "if his first read isn't open, he tucks it and gets sacked"

I wanted nothing to do with the kid

he is super raw and probably needs 30 starts to have even a basic clue

he is a coach killer

Gruden actually liked petty a lot.

http://fansided.com/2015/03/04/jon-gruden-bryce-petty-might-best-arm-draft/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If we start the season with Geno Smith as the starter Petty might get a shot here if we re-sign Fitzpatrick Petty will be another what if QB and never given a chance here. 

Given how things have played out, it seems nearly certain that Fitz will resign. He'd have already migrated elsewhere by now. 

So if you subscribe to the "Jets are drafting a QB" dogma, then you're left this scenario come Training Camp

  1. Fitz
  2. Geno/Petty
  3. New kid on the block

Geno and Petty will be competing for 1 spot. Let's just say i'm not holding my breath for the Baylor Bear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Given how things have played out, it seems nearly certain that Fitz will resign. He'd have already migrated elsewhere by now. 

So if you subscribe to the "Jets are drafting a QB" dogma, then you're left this scenario come Training Camp

  1. Fitz
  2. Geno/Petty
  3. New kid on the block

Geno and Petty will be competing for 1 spot. Let's just say i'm not holding my breath for the Baylor Bear. 

Ironically 31 other NFL teams dont want Fitzpatrick but the Jets sign him ..............47 years and counting

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...