Richard Sherman Rips Inept NFL commissioner

drdetroit

http://komonews.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-richard-sherman-rips-nfl-commissioner-over-proposed-rule-change

sherman is becoming my favorite non-jet player. Goodell is an idiot and if this 2 unsportsmanlike penalty ejection rule gets passed it will be a disaster for the game.  The NFL banned all chop blocking so say goodbye to running the football the NFL is about to become a two hand touch ultimate frisbee league.

Getting rid of kickoffs rates right up there as a great way to eliminate one of the most exciting plays in football.  You can make those plays safer over time without getting rid of it.

As usual the league tries to get rid of a mosquito with a sledge hammer.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Getting rid of kickoffs rates right up there as a great way to eliminate one of the most exciting plays in football.  You can make those plays safer over time without getting rid of it.

As usual the league tries to get rid of a mosquito with a sledge hammer.

These rule changes are getting dumber and dumber

im so sick of people acting like Goodell is this business genius because the NFL made $ under him -- that's because of the Internet and fantasy sports not because of freaking Goodell

Oh come on Richard, I'm sure Rodge has played sports in his life. I mean he golfs, right? 

"He's just a face," Sherman continued. "He's just a suit. He's never stepped foot on the field and understood how you can get a personal foul."

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

Oh come on Richard, I'm sure Rodge has played sports in his life. I mean he golfs, right? 

"He's just a face," Sherman continued. "He's just a suit. He's never stepped foot on the field and understood how you can get a personal foul."

In all fairness to this new proposed rule, a personal foul is different than an unsportsman like conduct penalty.  Personal foul is an illegal hit while unsportsman is not from a physical play.  So, if players want to taunt that is an unsportsman and really has no place in the sport(or any sport imo) but if there are questionable hits where the ref throws the flag 2x in a game against the same player, they wont be ejected.

11 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

In all fairness to this new proposed rule, a personal foul is different than an unsportsman like conduct penalty.  Personal foul is an illegal hit while unsportsman is not from a physical play.  So, if players want to taunt that is an unsportsman and really has no place in the sport(or any sport imo) but if there are questionable hits where the ref throws the flag 2x in a game against the same player, they wont be ejected.

Where is the exact wording?

The article mentions taunting, but the article it references from ESPN states personal foul.

If it is the former, I agree with you for the most part.  However, it sounds more like the later which I think would be an aver reaction like Sherman suggests.

1 minute ago, PFSIKH said:

The article mentions taunting, but the article it references from ESPN states personal foul.

If it is the former, I agree with you for the most part.  However, it sounds more like the later which I think would be an aver reaction like Sherman suggests.

It's gotta be the latter.  The comish is all about making the league "safer", so increasing the penalty for someone putting another player at risk is clearly what he's thinking about...

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

http://komonews.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-richard-sherman-rips-nfl-commissioner-over-proposed-rule-change

sherman is becoming my favorite non-jet player. Goodell is an idiot and if this 2 unsportsmanlike penalty ejection rule gets passed it will be a disaster for the game.  The NFL banned all chop blocking so say goodbye to running the football the NFL is about to become a two hand touch ultimate frisbee league.

Goodell is 100% right.  Sherman wants to argue that an egregious penalty shouldnt get you thrown out?  That what Beckham pulled vs Carolina shouldn't have gotten him tossed?

People b1tched and moaned about his play that day, now we're on the other side of the fence here.  

What, Shermans worried that when he goes off out of control in someones face he might get tossed for acting like a clown?  Who gives a shlt what Sherman thinks about?  We should care that he wont be able to spread his brand by acting the clown?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Goodell is 100% right.  Sherman wants to argue that an egregious penalty shouldnt get you thrown out?  That what Beckham pulled vs Carolina shouldn't have gotten him tossed?

People b1tched and moaned about his play that day, now we're on the other side of the fence here.  

What, Shermans worried that when he goes off out of control in someones face he might get tossed for acting like a clown?  Who gives a shlt what Sherman thinks about?  We should care that he wont be able to spread his brand by acting the clown?

That game is most certainly the entire inspiration behind this rule proposal.  The NFL was absolutely trashed for Beckham not being thrown out of that game, and so now this is what they're coming back with.  The funny thing is Beckham absolutely could have been thrown out of that game based on the current NFL rules, but the refs simply opted not to do it.  So it ultimately comes back to the question, how much trust do you have in the referees to make the right judgment calls?  Or are they so incompetent that everything needs to be written out in black and white for them?

19 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That game is most certainly the entire inspiration behind this rule proposal.  The NFL was absolutely trashed for Beckham not being thrown out of that game, and so now this is what they're coming back with.  The funny thing is Beckham absolutely could have been thrown out of that game based on the current NFL rules, but the refs simply opted not to do it.  So it ultimately comes back to the question, how much trust do you have in the referees to make the right judgment calls?  Or are they so incompetent that everything needs to be written out in black and white for them?

As much as incompetence maybe they don't want to be accused of throwing a player out when they could have made a judgment call to leave him in. Rule takes the whims of a ref out of the decision to eject.

Then again, throwing the flag in the first place is often so arbitrary anyway. Sometimes (most of the time) a little late shove is ignored, and sometimes they throw a flag. Now if it's thrown as a 2nd flag it's an automatic ejection. Law of unintended consequences. Going to happen. 

14 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

The way I believe this works is simple.

If you get 2 personal fouls for roughing the passer, you won't get tossed.

If you get 1 Personal foul for roughing the passer and 1 for taunting  you won't get tossed.

If you get 2 personal fouls for taunting , you get an early shower.

I have no problem with the commish or this rule. Our society as a whole want the right to do whatever it pleases without having to pay a penalty for wrong doing .  Rules are set in place so people know where to draw the line, not to punish people. You choose to break the rules, then you chose to deal with the penalty that was attached to breaking that rule.

What exactly is the problem here ?

This to me is like getting a speeding ticket and blaming the police officer .

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

The way I believe this works is simple.

If you get 2 personal fouls for roughing the passer, you won't get tossed.

If you get 1 Personal foul for roughing the passer and 1 for taunting  you won't get tossed.

If you get 2 personal fouls for taunting , you get an early shower.

I have no problem with the commish or this rule. Our society as a whole want the right to do whatever it pleases without having to pay a penalty for wrong doing .  Rules are set in place so people know where to draw the line, not to punish people. You choose to break the rules, then you chose to deal with the penalty that was attached to breaking that rule.

What exactly is the problem here ?

This to me is like getting a speeding ticket and blaming the police officer. 

Taunting is subjective.  No two refs are going to have the same view on what does and does not constitute taunting.  It is one thing if it is like Richard Sherman taunting that one 49er (Boldin?) a few years back, but players can get it just for yapping at each other.  That warrants half way to being booted from a game?  No.

It seems like an over reaction to the Odell/Norman thing last year. 

I would have less of a problem if it was for a personal foul (e.g. roughing or something of that nature), but even then I would be hesitant on setting a low number like 2.  Danny Amendola took a personal foul last year during the KC playoff game.  Momentum was in KC's favor and during KC's punt inside the Patriots' 5, he blasted a Chief.  This woke the team up and they marched to victory.   If you are trying to keep players safe, then this is the type of stuff that should be legislated out of the game. 

Again, I would be hesitant to set a limit.  How many times have a defender tried to do the right thing in regards to hitting a receiver only to have a receiver turtle which causes their head to get hit?  A lot.

I am not against legislating out stupid $hit, but this, like a lot of NFL things, is an over reaction.

The way I'm interpreting this rule is thusly .

Personal foul unnecessary roughness will not get you tossed

Personal foul unsportsmanlike  conduct will get you tossed.

I think any ref can tell the difference, and so should the players.

we will all make mistakes, but we all should know how to act with class and decency .  It's not a sports thing, it's a humanity thing .

It's simple, break the rules live with the penalty . 

Maybe they will institute the college rule whereby you make the call, review the play and see if the ruling stands .

I like that rule and I like the college rule for pass interference.  The NFL need to get rid of that spot of the foul rule for Pass interference .

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Dude, once a player gets one unsportsmanlike the other team can put a goon out there to instigate a second.  

It's the dumbest rule ever.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The way I'm interpreting this rule is thusly .

Personal foul unnecessary roughness will not get you tossed

Personal foul unsportsmanlike  conduct will get you tossed.

I think any ref can tell the difference, and so should the players.

we will all make mistakes, but we all should know how to act with class and decency .  It's not a sports thing, it's a humanity thing .

It's simple, break the rules live with the penalty . 

Maybe they will institute the college rule whereby you make the call, review the play and see if the ruling stands .

I like that rule and I like the college rule for pass interference.  The NFL need to get rid of that spot of the foul rule for Pass interference .

Unsportsmanlike is a very subjective penalty and open to interpretation.  Wait till one of these crooked zebras ejects Brandon Marshall for using foul language twice in a game you will be loving it

I've seen Brady dance and act like a spoiled child and never get unsportsmanlike called.  

11 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Dude, once a player gets one unsportsmanlike the other team can put a goon out there to instigate a second.  

It's the dumbest rule ever.

Yeah and?  You dont react and youre not getting tossed.  React and its a different story.

The rule works in Basketball and Hockey.  

We all screamed and whined about the hits to our WRs in 2013.  Tenn etc got away with murder.  Those hits may be dealt with differently, may have changed a game.  But now we're on the other side of the fence.

Until it happens again

This commissioner is a complete jerk so I am all in on Sherman. Does anyone tell boxers they can't hit in the head or Hockey players not to go down and block shots. These are all dangerous sports and injuries occurs. What about NASCAR? Do we tell drivers to reduce speed or in horse racing do we tell Jockeys not to risk their lives by trying to get thru the slightest openings at fast speeds with these huge animals. No we don't.  Like I said the commissioner will ruin this sport.

Archived