Brandon Marshall’s QB opinion ‘doesn’t matter’: Bowles

JustInFudge

BOCA RATON, Fla. – Brandon Marshall is a great wide receiver. Todd Bowles does not think much of him as a general manager.

The Jets coach laughed when asked aboutMarshall’s public pleas for the team to keep free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

“My son wants certain things too that his dad says no to,” Bowles said with a laugh. “It really doesn’t matter.”

Marshall has been very vocal with his desire for the Jets to re-sign Fitzpatrick, but Bowles said Marshall’s view plays no role in the team’s decision-making.

“Honestly, I love Brandon to death and he’s a good player,” Bowles said. “That’s all I can tell you. He doesn’t factor in making the decisions on this team.”

Bowles said he was caught off-guard when he learned that star cornerback Darrelle Revis would need wrist surgery last week. Revis injured the wrist early in the season, but never told the team.

“It surprised me. I didn’t know anything about it,” Bowles said. “He was never on the injury report. He never said anything. Guys play hurt. He played hurt. We knew nothing about it.”

Some have criticized Revis’ first season back with the Jets, but Bowles said Revis met his expectations.

“I thought he played very well,” he said.

Modal Triggermilliner.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=180
Dee MillinerPhoto: AP

With Antonio Cromartie gone, there is a question of who will start opposite Revis at the other cornerback spot. Bowles said it will be an open competition between the players on their roster. Bowles said Buster Skrine would probably get the first crack at being the starter since because played more than anyone last year.

Another possibility is Dee Milliner, the team’s oft-injured first-round pick from 2013. Bowles admitted he does not know exactly what he has in Milliner, who did not play a defensive snap last season after returning from injury midway through the year.

“He kept getting nicked up during the year, too, and missing a week or two here or there, so he never fully got healthy to really see [him] through the season,” Bowles said. “I’m hopeful that this spring he’ll come back healthy — and knock on wood that his injuries are over. Then we’ll see.”

Does Bowles think Milliner can be a good player if he’s healthy?

“I’ve never seen him healthy, so I don’t know,” Bowles said.

Modal Triggerferguson.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=180
D’Brickashaw FergusonPhoto: Joseph E. Amaturo

Bowles gave a telling answer about left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson, who could be cut by the team to clear salary cap space. Ferguson, who has been on the Jets since 2006, has a large $14.1 million cap charge. If the team cuts him, they get $9 million in cap savings.

Bowles was asked if Ferguson will be part of the team in 2016.

“Like [GM] Mike [Maccagnan] said, right now he’s on our team,” Bowles said. “Going forward, we’ll see how it goes. Right now, he’s on our team.”

Bowles said the Jets are not concerned about new running back Matt Forte being 30 years old, an age at which the performance of running backs typically falls off.

“We have this mythical number in our head that 30 is over the hill as a football player,” Bowles said. “That’s not necessarily true. It all depends on how you carry yourself and how you keep yourself in shape. There are a lot of guys who can do that, who can play well beyond the age of 30. It’s up to us as coaches to distinguish that, and he’s one of those guys.”

What the hell is wrong with Revis?  So we now know that the coach knew nothing about this injury and just trotted him out to get owned by some of the better WR's in the league.  His comments about Marshall are spot on.  I think Brandon will lover any QB that does a good job.

I hope brick gets cut and wins a superbowl next year with another team

**** these amatuers

what the **** have they done ?  nothing

its some real ******* honor to play for a coach too stupid to double team JJ watt, hopkins or watkins and a GM who is smart enough to overpay when he has a mandate to spend a crap ton of money to meet the cap floor, then have no money to sign a QB the next off season

**** these assholes

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

**** these amatuers

its some real ******* honor to play for a coach too stupid to double team JJ watt, hopkins or watkins and a GM who is smart enough to overpay when he has a mandate to spend a crap ton of money to meet the cap floor, then have no money to sign a QB the next off season

**** these assholes

Wow.

P.s I like Brick, but the reality he's now just an old Jag taking 14 per.

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

**** these amatuers

**** these assholes

Welcome to the NFL.  It's a business.

A business where a continuously declining expensive O-lineman doesn't get verbally blown by a coach after a season he didn't play well in.

What are you, new?

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

**** these amatuers

**** these assholes

Lighten up Francis.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

the way they are treating brick really sucks, its not really classy

"right now he's on our team"

thats what you say about the CFL player not brick

**** bowles and **** macc

So what was Brick's excuse for sucking fat turds in 2013 and 2014?   It sure as sh*t wasn't Todd Bowles and Mike McCagnan.  With his salary you wouldn't expect him to play like a CFL left tackle.  F*ck this "class" nonsense.  When you're making what Fergusons making and playing like he is playing you can go pound sand if coaches say non-committal things about your future.  Tough sh*t.  This is the NFL.  He should take a paycut or start packing.

Bricks $14 mill balloon payment this year has been a real mystery to me ever since he signed it.  For years I've wondered whytf Tanny allowed this in there.  I assume it was bricks agent slipping it in to force a new contract at a key age for his client, but Tanny had a lot of hand in the situation, he was signing brick to a long term top dollar contract.  A good GM finesses this down or even deflates these final years of the contract- a la Revis' current deal which drop by 33% in the final 2 years.  classic Tannenbaum-top dollar for shiny things

it's because the team had no intention of paying the money to begin with.  It makes the agent look good to say his client got a 5 year 50 M contract, when 30 Million of it is in the last 2 years and not guaranteed. 

It' actually a 3 year 20 M contract.  But it looks good

7 hours ago, kmnj said:

bmarsh always talks up guy he thinks will throw to him-lets not forget he moved in with Geno and Geno was his guy....

Yep.  No matter who starts the season as the QB for the Jets Brandon will be crushing on them as long as he is getting the ball.  Sorta like a chef coming out to see his fattest, uh I mean his loyal customers.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What the hell is wrong with Revis?  So we now know that the coach knew nothing about this injury and just trotted him out to get owned by some of the better WR's in the league.  His comments about Marshall are spot on.  I think Brandon will lover any QB that does a good job.

It's bizarre, just last week he was saying something along the lines of "how do you know we were healthy enough" when it pertained to jamming/pressing Sammy Watkins.  And now he's saying he didnt even know Revis was injured?  WTF?  Your star corner that you're paying QB money for and you didnt even know he was injured and supposedly it happened in like week 3 or 4?

14 hours ago, Larz said:

Love the passion.

And I agree, it's b.s. the way they're handling Brick.  I completely understand their positoin and the business side of this but to act the way they are is uncalled for.  They could easily blow the question off or handle it differently but this "for now" sh*t is for the birds.  He's a leader on your team, he literally takes the team out with "home of the Jets", he hasnt missed a snap in forever.  He's arguably one of the greatest Jets draft picks of all time.

It would be oh so Jetsy if they did part ways with Brick, only to land some guy who gets injured on week 1 forcing someone not ready into action, meanwhile, Brick continues to not miss a snap for some playoff destined team.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's bizarre, just last week he was saying something along the lines of "how do you know we were healthy enough" when it pertained to jamming/pressing Sammy Watkins.  And now he's saying he didnt even know Revis was injured?  WTF?  Your star corner that you're paying QB money for and you didnt even know he was injured and supposedly it happened in like week 3 or 4?

Most likely, they are creating a screen, so that the NFL does not begin investigations of not reporting injuries. 

Continuing to pay players exorbitant amounts of money past their prime is how the Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet contracts happened.

Thank you for your service to the team over the years, Brick.  But you're not worth $14.1M.  Cut and re-sign if possible, but paying him that amount is ludicrous, one way or the other.  If there was no such thing as a salary cap, I wouldn't care how much he's making because it's not my money and it would have no impact on the construction of the roster.  But there is, and tough decisions have to be made when necessary. 

16 hours ago, Larz said:

My opinion:  They are right and you are not.   Contrary to the warped opinions/false observations of most Jets fans, Brick hasn't been declining for several years and frankly, hasn't been any good for the last two.  Pay cut or get out.  This is a business, not a family gathering.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My opinion:  They are right and you are not.   Contrary to the warped opinions/false observations of most Jets fans, Brick hasn't been declining for several years and frankly, hasn't been any good for the last two.  Pay cut or get out.  This is a business, not a family gathering.

Exactly.  Players do get treated unfairly by billionaire owners in this league in general, but this isn't an example of that unfair treatment.  We've given Brick franchise LT money for years, and he isn't playing like a franchise LT anymore.  Pretty simple.  Good organizations cut ties a year early rather than a year or 2 too late.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Players do get treated unfairly by billionaire owners in this league in general, but this isn't an example of that unfair treatment.  We've given Brick franchise LT money for years, and he isn't playing like a franchise LT anymore.  Pretty simple.  Good organizations cut ties a year early rather than a year or 2 too late.

I think the majority of Jets fans are under the illusion that Brick is still a "top" LT.  First, I'm not sure he ever was, but that is irrelevant.  You don't pay now for past years service even if he was once elite.  You pay now for what's expected this year and allow yourself to escape if the player declines even further.  A lot of Brick's poor performance was masked by Fitzpatrick's mobility.  Put a Bledsoe/Ken O'Brien back there and you'd see just how terrible Brick has become.  The one GREAT thing about Brick has been his invulnerability to injury.  The guy has been a superman as far as never missing a game.  That too, has compensated somewhat for the huge fall-off in the quality of his play.  Hats off to Brick for that.  But a good GM does not use that as an excuse to overpay him moving forward.

If we don't pick a QB in round 1, I think we are going to see Mac draft a LT this year before an edge rusher.  Either way, I expect a LT, Edge rusher/LB and QB within the first 4 rounds.

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

it's because the team had no intention of paying the money to begin with.  It makes the agent look good to say his client got a 5 year 50 M contract, when 30 Million of it is in the last 2 years and not guaranteed. 

It' actually a 3 year 20 M contract.  But it looks good

it looks good right now.  the jets are faced with cutting him, paying him or restructuring him.  Option 1, would be in our favor but we don't have a tackle ready to step in, option 2, well that is what Brick and his agent is hoping for, Option 3, see option 1, Jets have very little leverage this year.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Continuing to pay players exorbitant amounts of money past their prime is how the Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet contracts happened.

Thank you for your service to the team over the years, Brick.  But you're not worth $14.1M.  Cut and re-sign if possible, but paying him that amount is ludicrous, one way or the other.  If there was no such thing as a salary cap, I wouldn't care how much he's making because it's not my money and it would have no impact on the construction of the roster.  But there is, and tough decisions have to be made when necessary. 

Nobody is arguing that he's getting paid too much and should restructure.  But treating a good solider and a leader on the team the way they are to the media isnt necessary.

You can easily evade the question without saying someone "is on the team for now".

It's not a good look IMO.  Show a little more respect to the guy.

the team has no leverage with Brick. they don't even have a Qvale type replacement at LT on the roster. Brick has started every game at Left tackle since 2007.

The Fitz situation they can at least pretend to go with Geno. Or even Petty.

But there literally is only one LT on the roster. Guys like Beachum are off the market. Who else would be the starter in 2016 if not Brick? 

And Brick knows all this plus if he gets cut he gets another starting job in 5 minutes.  Why exactly should he take a pay cut? Because Jets fans want him to? BFD. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

Quotes of them speaking solely to reporters, no? 

Sure...are you saying they're lying about their quotes?  I dont think they'd get too many interviews if they're lying about what they're saying.  

And I think some of this conversation was said to multiple reporters. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nobody is arguing that he's getting paid too much and should restructure.  But treating a good solider and a leader on the team the way they are to the media isnt necessary.

You can easily evade the question without saying someone "is on the team for now".

It's not a good look IMO.  Show a little more respect to the guy.

Probably true, but there's really no endgame to all this that doesn't eventually end with him getting cut.  It won't make it any better or worse later if they say nice things about him now. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the team has no leverage with Brick. they don't even have a Qvale type replacement at LT on the roster. Brick has started every game at Left tackle since 2007.

The Fitz situation they can at least pretend to go with Geno. Or even Petty.

But there literally is only one LT on the roster. Guys like Beachum are off the market. Who else would be the starter in 2016 if not Brick? 

And Brick knows all this plus if he gets cut he gets another starting job in 5 minutes.  Why exactly should he take a pay cut? Because Jets fans want him to? BFD. 

You may want to change that to 2006 Bit..:)

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably true, but there's really no endgame to all this that doesn't eventually end with him getting cut.  It won't make it any better or worse later if they say nice things about him now. 

What's the back up plan? 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure...are you saying they're lying about their quotes?  I dont think they'd get too many interviews if they're lying about what they're saying.  

"According to an inside source at the NYDN, 'Inside sources in the Jets organization say sometimes Jets beat reporters make up quotes to spin stories.'"

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

And I think some of this conversation was said to multiple reporters. 

Lying about what? He said he's on the team. Larz went berserk assuming he's being treated like garbage over a sentence said to the media. Would people rather Bowles/Mac say "Well, Brick used to be worth $14 million." Literally has no basis as to how Brick is actually being treated. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

What's the back up plan? 

None are particularly good at the moment.  If I'm Macc I try to re-sign Brick at a cheaper rate.  Otherwise we're addressing it through the draft.

But using up $14.1M of cap space on Brick this season simply isn't happening.  Unless we're trading Wilkerson, we don't have enough cap space to sign our draft picks right now.  It has to come from somewhere.

3 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Lying about what? He said he's on the team. Larz went berserk assuming he's being treated like garbage over a sentence said to the media. Would people rather Bowles/Mac say "Well, Brick used to be worth $14 million." Literally has no basis as to how Brick is actually being treated. 

They could just say, "Brick is on the team".  No need to say "for now".   Saying "for now" is implying he may not be for long and I dont think that's fair to Brick or the players on the team who respect him because he's been such a huge part of this team and a tremendous leader.  You should treat your people mo'better.  Especially a home grown guy like Brick.

We can agree to disagree.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

None are particularly good at the moment.  If I'm Macc I try to re-sign Brick at a cheaper rate.  Otherwise we're addressing it through the draft.

But using up $14.1M of cap space on Brick this season simply isn't happening. 

So, no back up plan other than a rookie but lets cut someone because of too much money.  And the money is holding us back from what exactly? 

Archived