Time for some grilling

Maxman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/6/2016 at 9:23 PM, joebabyny said:

The kamado cokers are pretty cool, they have a huge following. With this style cooker you pretty much have 3 manufacturers to choose from, Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, and Primo. There are others that are cheap and not as good, or super expensive beautiful works of art for the money-is-no-object crowd. 

Big Green Egg is the biggest name of the group. They are also more expensive once you add in the accessories you will need. They even charge extra for the legs!!!! I mean, are you going to buy it and lay it on the ground? Quality is first class, but make sure you get one from an authorized dealer.

KamadoJoe is a competitor to Big Green Egg and comes in with a cheaper price point, including some stuff that costs extra with the egg. The quality is pretty good and I would prolly go with a Joe over an egg. My friend Fred near Reading PA is a Kamado Joe dealer and does lots of cooking demos and videos online, http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ check out his youtube page.

Primo is American made. The other cool thing is the oval shape, allowing easier indirect cooking. If I were buying one of these kamado style cookers, I would prolly go primo due to the shape.

Now, a few weeks ago Weber came out with something to take on these high end kamado cookers, and without a doubt it would be what I would buy in this pricerange over one of the clay kamados. It is the Weber Summit Charcoal grill. It is air insulated stainless steel, with a nice big cookin grate for direct and indirect cooking, has a gas charcoal ligher system, heat diffuser included, 2 charcoal grate positions, and really nice air damper design. The bbq community initially balked at the price when it was released, but now that people have gotten their hands on it, everyone is coming around. The biggest benefit of this over the clay kamados is ease of changing gears, going from high heat to low heat. With a clay kamado, if you are smoking low and overshoot temps and find yourself 100+ degrees over your target, it will take forever to get the temps back down do to thermal mass of the pit. With the air insulation of the weber, you can quickly change gears and it will be more forgiving with overshoots. Also, it is ligher and easier to move around and doesn't have the possibility of cracking like the traditional kamados do. There is no doubt that at the price range of the kamados, the weber would be mine.

You can't see it at home depot, you have to go to a premium weber dealer. Definitely take a look at it.

I have a Primo and love it.

The shape is easier, especially since Ribs are long and thin.  On the large, it comes with a divider, so you can have the direct and indirect side of the grill. 

On 6/8/2016 at 11:30 AM, joebabyny said:

I have heard great things about La Barbecue, probably the 3rd place i would have mentioned. Heard both the brisket and sausage are great. I also heard you can email them your order, but don't know how that works.

Franklin usually sells out by 2-2:30pm i think.

Excellent - thanks for all your input! Will let you know how it all was once I'm back next week. 

On 6/7/2016 at 7:17 PM, joebabyny said:

Well, Franklin BBQ is the center of the beef bbq world these days, and from every well informed bbq nerd I know, his reputation is deserved. You have to get there early, like 7am early. You want brisket, and you want it from the "moist" or "fatty" or if you want to sound like you know what you are talking about ask for it from the "point end." Do not bother with pork there, or really anywhere in texas. The Tipsy Texan sandwich on the menu is a great value too.

Louie Mueller BBQ is the other spot to visit. Brisket is also phenomenal here, maybe a hair less so than Franklin. The thing you need to have here is the beef ribs. These are not the sorry beef back ribs you wold get at a sorry chain bbq restaurant, they are short ribs. They are expensive, but you really only need one as it could weigh up to 2lbs. The sausage is also excellent.

I would hit up Franklin for some point end brisket and the texan sandwich, and I would hit Louie Mueller for a beef rib and some jalapeno sausage.

Check out Lamberts too if you're downtown

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Smoking my turkey on my new Kamado Joe today...so far its been a great addition to the patio did a brisket and wings like it a lot. 

Tempted to get a smoker. But concern is my dog is gonna get a little excited by the smell of smoking meats and might brush against it or knock  it over, causing her some problems. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Tempted to get a smoker. But concern is my dog is gonna get a little excited by the smell of smoking meats and might brush against it or knock  it over, causing her some problems. 

The Kamado Joe is great I highly recommend it the entire neighborhood can smell it when I'm smoking. 

On 6/7/2016 at 2:00 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

So, this has nothing at all to do with football, but a lot to do with grilling meat:

I'm heading to Austin, TX for my Bach party next wednesday for 5 days, and obviously have scoped out the best places to get bbq according to online stuff (generally touristy advice) - but any suggestions from the masters here?

On 6/7/2016 at 7:17 PM, joebabyny said:

Well, Franklin BBQ is the center of the beef bbq world these days, and from every well informed bbq nerd I know, his reputation is deserved. You have to get there early, like 7am early. You want brisket, and you want it from the "moist" or "fatty" or if you want to sound like you know what you are talking about ask for it from the "point end." Do not bother with pork there, or really anywhere in texas. The Tipsy Texan sandwich on the menu is a great value too.

Louie Mueller BBQ is the other spot to visit. Brisket is also phenomenal here, maybe a hair less so than Franklin. The thing you need to have here is the beef ribs. These are not the sorry beef back ribs you wold get at a sorry chain bbq restaurant, they are short ribs. They are expensive, but you really only need one as it could weigh up to 2lbs. The sausage is also excellent.

I would hit up Franklin for some point end brisket and the texan sandwich, and I would hit Louie Mueller for a beef rib and some jalapeno sausage.

On 6/8/2016 at 11:06 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Awesome stuff man - thanks for the suggestions.

Have you tried the food truck "La Barbecue" and if so, what do you think? It was ranked #2 & #3 (behind Franklin of course) on Thrillist and Yelp, respectively, and for a food truck, it has an unreal 4.5 star rating on yelp aggregating almost 1000 reviews....so this isn't just a few friends and family boosting it up. 

We've heard about the lines and waits and potential early sellouts at Franklin, and with the way we have our trip planned out, it's probably not feasible. So we're thinking of just doing La Barbecue instead. It'd be great if you or anyone else had some insight on it. 

On 6/8/2016 at 11:30 AM, joebabyny said:

I have heard great things about La Barbecue, probably the 3rd place i would have mentioned. Heard both the brisket and sausage are great. I also heard you can email them your order, but don't know how that works.

Franklin usually sells out by 2-2:30pm i think.

On 6/13/2016 at 11:11 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Excellent - thanks for all your input! Will let you know how it all was once I'm back next week. 

Just realized I never came back on any of this!

Yea - Franklin was sold out by the time we got there at around 11am on Friday morning, so we hopped in a couple of Fastens (Uber in Austin) and went straight to LaBBQ. Everyone that had it gave it an A+ all around. Unfortunately, we didn't get another chance to go to Franklin because we had activities every other day, so had to miss out. 

Coincidentally, my wife's friends just got married in Austin two weeks ago, so I got to go back down there...but this time it was legit just for 2 days, and we didn't have any time to do anything except their wedding stuff, but they actually catered LaBBQ - and it was of course a hit!

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations! 

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of tailgating \ grill \ RV camp fire presents this Christmas. Pretty damn happy. 

Got the griddle top for my tailgating grill. Makes breakfast easier on game day.

Coleman RoadTrip® Swaptop™ Cast Iron Griddle 2

Lots of slow cooking over a camp fire this summer. 

Image result for adjust a series camping

And some heavy duty skillets

Image result for westinghouse cast iron

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Lots of tailgating \ grill \ RV camp fire presents this Christmas. Pretty damn happy. 

Got the griddle top for my tailgating grill. Makes breakfast easier on game day.

I'll have two eggs , over easy and some sausage .

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

don't you have enough room in the RV to bring both the full flat top and the grill?

16 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

don't you have enough room in the RV to bring both the full flat top and the grill?

I brought the Coleman Tailgater and the griddle to one game this year. They fit but honestly it was a pain in the ass because the griddle isn't 100% portable. The legs come off and it slides. But it is a bit messy. Since we are only cooking for a few people it wasn't worth bringing it. I leave the Coleman tailgate grill in the RV basement storage full time now. I have been leaving the griddle at home. I think if we were cooking for more people it would be great. But for us, the coleman griddle top will be popped on so we can easily cook up some eggs for breakfast. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived