What's up with D'Brick?

Ex-Rex

It is obvious that the guy that can give the Jets the MOST cap room by restructuring is D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but Mac has not even reached out to him or his agent about this. Can it be that they have already informed Mac they WON'T restructure? If so cut him and save the whole 14 million and sign the OT from Pittsburgh that is still dangling out there. Ferguson is barely above average now as a pass blocker and never was a great run blocker. I don't get it? There is a couple guys we "signed" but haven't been able to put the paper work through on because there is no cap room. Time to make a move on Brick one way or the other.

He is not barely above average as a pass blocker. I don't know why some Jets fans keep saying this. He gave up like the 3rd-most hurries in the NFL last year, despite Fitz getting rid of the ball extremely quickly on average. And (other than never missing a game) that is supposed to be his best quality.  His crappola blocking set up Fitz's 2nd pick of the game vs Buffalo. Still Fitz's fault, since it's not like the ball was partially stripped from behind him, but Brick needed to hold that block on that play. Most of the time, he's a liability as a run blocker. At his very best, when he was among the league's elite pass blockers, he was about average in that department (as you accurately mentioned). 

To answer your question, the reason he hasn't been addressed is it's the wrong time to do it. There is a draft coming up and if we land a kickass LT prospect Mac isn't going to want to pay Brick to be the LT even under a restructured amount (since at a minimum, a restructure guarantees his salary for 2016). Or if we land an OT who we feel can play RT this year and then move him over to LT next year, and cut Breno instead, they may do that. 

If we don't land a LT in the draft, then come to him with the ultimatum. Not the greatest position to be in, coming to him when a hole is created by his absence, but this is what happens when we don't have an obvious replacement yet, and that's where we're at. He may call our bluff and, if the job market is looking meh for him in May, he may not.

30 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is obvious that the guy that can give the Jets the MOST cap room by restructuring is D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but (1) Mac has not even reached out to him or his agent about this. Can it be that they have already informed Mac they WON'T restructure? (2) If so cut him and save the whole 14 million and (3) sign the OT from Pittsburgh that is still dangling out there. Ferguson is barely above average now as a pass blocker and never was a great run blocker. I don't get it? There is a couple guys we "signed" but haven't been able to put the paper work through on because there is no cap room. Time to make a move on Brick one way or the other.

Let's get up-to-date here:

1. This was reported but completely unverified.  It is unsubstantiated rumor and nothing more than that.  Nobody knows except Brick's agent and the Jets what kind of discussions, if any, have taken place.  The report was speculative with no corroboration at all.

2. If cut, Brick's cap savings would be $9,873,000, not $14 mill because  $4,273,000 would be dead money.

3. Beachum already signed with Jacksonville.  There's not much else out there other than Clady who is old and also coming off injury ike Beachum is.

56 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is obvious that the guy that can give the Jets the MOST cap room by restructuring is D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but Mac has not even reached out to him or his agent about this. Can it be that they have already informed Mac they WON'T restructure? If so cut him and save the whole 14 million and sign the OT from Pittsburgh that is still dangling out there. Ferguson is barely above average now as a pass blocker and never was a great run blocker. I don't get it? There is a couple guys we "signed" but haven't been able to put the paper work through on because there is no cap room. Time to make a move on Brick one way or the other.

No, you won't save the whole 14 million.   It's based on past signing bonus, so, yes, you will save between 8 and 9, but then you won't have a left tackle. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He is not barely above average as a pass blocker. I don't know why some Jets fans keep saying this. He gave up like the 3rd-most hurries in the NFL last year, despite Fitz getting rid of the ball extremely quickly on average. And (other than never missing a game) that is supposed to be his best quality.  His crappola blocking set up Fitz's 2nd pick of the game vs Buffalo. Still Fitz's fault, since it's not like the ball was partially stripped from behind him, but Brick needed to hold that block on that play. Most of the time, he's a liability as a run blocker. At his very best, when he was among the league's elite pass blockers, he was about average in that department (as you accurately mentioned). 

Not to mention he had Carpenter on his right hip.

No more excuses about the LG being crappy so that Brick had to cover for him!

Carpenter played very well this yr.... Brick got "SMOKED" consistently!

1 hour ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

This is something I've talked about before - you'd figure guys who been on the jets as long as him would either take a pay cut to better the team or restructure for same reason. You'd assume he's tired of not going to the playoffs 

You would be willing to take a drastic pay cut because you were with a company for your entire career? I know I wouldn't be. The only reason Brick takes a pay cut is because his agent says he won't make more money than the Jets are offering on the open market. IMO, loyalty won't figure into his decision because it rarely does in sports and that goes both ways.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan1015 said:

You would be willing to take a drastic pay cut because you were with a company for your entire career? I know I wouldn't be. The only reason Brick takes a pay cut is because his agent says he won't make more money than the Jets are offering on the open market. IMO, loyalty won't figure into his decision because it rarely does in sports and that goes both ways.

Hate the guy - but Tom Brady is a perfect example - he's been taking less for a long time. D Brick hasn't been playing as well as he is getting paid. You either play to your worth or you don't - i say they draft a worthy replacement and cut his ass if he wont restructure. Brady could easily get 15-20mill a year from another team.... instead he signed a 3 yr/27mill contract... that's insane. 

15 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Hate the guy - but Tom Brady is a perfect example - he's been taking less for a long time.  

Tom Brady owns a rehab center (most teams use Novacare) and the team hired that firm to take care of their players. That's one reason why Tom Brady takes less. Because the team finds creative ways to pay him on the side. 

The other reason why Tom Brady never hits the open market is because without the rampant cheating he's just a backup. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tom Brady owns a rehab center (most teams use Novacare) and the team hired that firm to take care of their players. That's one reason why Tom Brady takes less. Because the team finds creative ways to pay him on the side. 

The other reason why Tom Brady never hits the open market is because without the rampant cheating he's just a backup. 

Well and his wife makes a kajillion dollars a year as well.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Def getting paid on the side.  Kraft is old school.

Archived