Shopping Mo ?

no psls

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jett said:

It is a real argument.  Any other qb put in will result in a losing record for 16. I want to compete. Fitz helps make us competitive. He threw  31 tds not by mistake. He has good chemistry with the team and people want him back. Hopefully not for too many years and less than 10 mill a year. He's a good bridge to a guy we draft in this year's draft or next. 

If we made the playoffs last year, this would still be a poor argument.  Yet, we didn't.  This year, we no longer have the leagues easiest schedule and there's no reason to expect an improvement from Fitz, more likely a regression to the mean.  I'd like Fitz back too, but not at the expense of our best player, who will hopefully help this team for another few years.

38 minutes ago, jett said:

Let me guess just cuz it's not your opinion huh. U would take Wilk. Why? Corners are more in demand than De's. And 2009 Revis was way better than anything ng that Wilk could be 

31 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I'd take vintage Revis too. Sh*t, he'd still be high on the list, but the answer is Wilkerson or Williams.

Wait, we talking 09 Revis or current state?  I meant current statte. 

38 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Easily

Man am I glad your not the GM. Whoo boy. I love the Jets as much as anyone. I have been a rabid fan since 1968 and have seen the kind of mistakes this team makes and keeping the franchise tag of 15.7 million on Wilkerson ranks up there with drafting Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino. D-Line is the best and deepest position on the team and I think Leonard Williams would be an adequate replacement. I have stated that I would cut Wilkerson, but I will back off on that. The least Mac should do is remove the franchise tag. If a team makes him an offer they can live with, sweeten it a bit and bring him back, because they are looking at the same situation next year.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

My favorite part about shopping him is there is probably a 95% chance, if not higher, the Jets dont get a better player who makes a bigger impact than Mo.

But he'll be cheaper, yay!!!!!!!!!!! 

That is the key part. We cant afford to keep every good player on our roster and get the pieces we need to continue moving forward. If we are going to lose the guy anyway and he holds any trade value we might as well get it. I love Mo and was really opposed to us trading him but right now it doesn't seem like either side even wants to get a deal done.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

That is the key part. We cant afford to keep every good player on our roster and get the pieces we need to continue moving forward. If we are going to lose the guy anyway and he holds any trade value we might as well get it. I love Mo and was really opposed to us trading him but right now it doesn't seem like either side even wants to get a deal done.

A good GM finds ways how does New England continually do it year after year, 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

....New England lets its good players go or trades them and they win with a roster of mostly no named guys and old beat down veterans because they cheat.

5 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We are talking about 1 player.

And teams that dont spend for good players, end up like the Jaguars or maybe you remember the 2014 Jets? 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

When you have a franchise QB it makes many decisions easier.. If you have the main course in place who cares if your missing a side dish..;)

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

When you have a franchise QB it makes many decisions easier.. If you have the main course in place who cares if your missing a side dish..;)

having brady makes almost any decesion brilliant unlike my spelling

What's the hold up? This has been going on years now..is he that unrealistic in what his demands are financially?

The fact is the Jets can lower the tag cap hit by working out a long term deal with him..why doesn't this seem to be a priority for a team in need of playmakers and cap space??

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

We are talking about 1 player.

And teams that dont spend for good players, end up like the Jaguars or maybe you remember the 2014 Jets? 

1 great player. We have Revis, Mangold, Brick who we are already paying a lot of money for. We have Richardson licking his chops waiting to see what kind of money Wilkerson gets (from whoever he gets it from) so that he can say "well, im better thank Wilkerson. We are also paying some big names like Marshal, Decker, Forte. We have a lot of talent and a lot of big names on our roster. We cant afford to keep them all and continue to strengthen out weak spots but if we let one go from our strongest point we might free that room up to improve.

Wilkerson is a top-50 player in the entire league. Not sure how you guys are not seeing this, but when NFL network does their annual rankings of the top-100 players he will be in the top half. 

It's one thing to say that we should not pay him elite money, but it's another to disparage his talent and skill. He is most certainly "great" and "elite". 

60962010cfa4d71a4c0e5840495b5a32The Mo-ment of truth is fast approaching for the Jets. If the team is going to trade star defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, it will happen in the next four weeks. The NFL draft begins on April 28, four weeks from Thursday. Wilkerson could be traded during the draft, but it is more likely that if something were to happen, it would occur in the days leading up to the draft. Despite general manager Mike Maccagnan saying they are not “actively pursuing” a trade for Wilkerson, a source said Wednesday that the Jets are indeed shopping him around. There is skepticism around the league as to whether the Jets can find a trade partner who will be willing to surrender the draft picks the Jets are looking ...

8 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The issue with this is that Richardson isn't better. Just the difference in quantity between the two separates them - last year Wilkerson played ~90% of the D snaps and Richardson played something like 55-56%. Richardson's Robin to Wilkerson's Batman, and Leonard Williams is making for a waaaaaaaaay better Robin than Richardson.

The Jets brass thinks that Richardson is more talented than Wilkerson.  Leonard Williams was drafted to be Wilkerson's replacement.  The problem is, Richardson sort of screwed up the plan with his off the field behavior.

And Brandon Marshall is the best player on the Jets, brah.

19 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

You'd hope a guy looking for a $100 million contract would dominate third stringers.

Something about too many in this fanbase who take joy in disparaging jet players performances even when they're good or better.  

19 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I'll get burned at the stake for this, but Mo is overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's still a great player, but people overrated him due to his inflated coverage sacks.

He can't speed rush the edge and bend well enough to truly make QBs worry. Again, still a great player, but we need speed rushers.

you are 100 % correct.... Wilk is a very good player but he's not what some think he is . He will have some big games then disappear from the spotlight. How many big game changing sacks does Wilk get ? can you remember any heroics in the 4th quarter ? Is he better than Shawn Ellis who did step up in the 4th a lot especially vs the Pats ? he is big time trade bait  probably something happens during the draft and there could already be deals in the works.

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Wilkerson is a top-50 player in the entire league. Not sure how you guys are not seeing this, but when NFL network does their annual rankings of the top-100 players he will be in the top half. 

It's one thing to say that we should not pay him elite money, but it's another to disparage his talent and skill. He is most certainly "great" and "elite". 

He is a top 50 player. However, you dont pay him top 10 money. Im in agreement with that. 

30 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He is a top 50 player. However, you dont pay him top 10 money. Im in agreement with that. 

Problem is he is a top 10 DL.  Onother is  that FA, the open market makes for a nice payday for players.  No way is Snacks worth 9+ mil per.  Right place, right time.

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Problem is he is a top 10 DL.  Onother is  that FA, the open market makes for a nice payday for players.  No way is Snacks worth 9+ mil per.  Right place, right time.

He's a top 10 DL, this isnt the problem. The problem is Wilk wanting to get paid like the reigning defensive player of the year/the best defensive player on the planet. JJ Watt is to defense what Stephen Curry is to offense. I dont care who you are, if you're not Watt then you dont get Watt money. Matter of fact you dont even get close to Watt money because Watt isnt just barely the best....no one is even near this dude. He's in a space totally by himself, and losing (trading) Wilkerson in order to drive home the point should be something that this FO should be more than willing to do. Anything over 10-11 million is unacceptable, especially when you already have depth to replace the man. Trade him...let someone else pay him. I dont mind the man trying to get paid, but it doesnt mean that it has to be the Jets. 

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He's a top 10 DL, this isnt the problem. The problem is Wilk wanting to get paid like the reigning defensive player of the year/the best defensive player on the planet. JJ Watt is to defense what Stephen Curry is to offense. I dont care who you are, if you're not Watt then you dont get Watt money. Matter of fact you dont even get close to Watt money because Watt isnt just barely the best....no one is even near this dude. He's in a space totally by himself, and losing (trading) Wilkerson in order to drive home the point should be something that this FO should be more than willing to do. Anything over 10-11 million is unacceptable, especially when you already have depth to replace the man. Trade him...let someone else pay him. I dont mind the man trying to get paid, but it doesnt mean that it has to be the Jets. 

That's all true but for one we don't know what the Jets have offered if anything and what Mo is looking for.  But again just like very sport, the last guy to hit FA is usually paid the most.  JJ will get his, the size of the contract doesn't always rank their abilities and pay rate.  Has nothing to do with what we think.  Suh isn't worth the deal he got, right place, right time.  Snacks isn't worth the deal he got. The jets because they have so much talent on the DL are in a unique situation, they can let him walk because they have others to play.  

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That's all true but for one we don't know what the Jets have offered if anything and what Mo is looking for.  But again just like very sport, the last guy to hit FA is usually paid the most.  JJ will get his, the size of the contract doesn't always rank their abilities and pay rate.  Has nothing to do with what we think.  Suh isn't worth the deal he got, right place, right time.  Snacks isn't worth the deal he got. The jets because they have so much talent on the DL are in a unique situation, they can let him walk because they have others to play.  

True, we dont know. All im saying is that based on the speculation (Jets getting a potential first round pick in return & Wilk possibly wanting Watt money from the Jets) will most likely not happen. 

As for Snacks, he was worth his deal. He's arguably the best NT in the league that went to a team with an actual need. That contract may not have made sense to the Jets but it sure as hell did for the Giants. This is why im saying that a Wilk deal by the Jets doesnt make sense because we dont have a need to pay him this amount of money when we have two guys that could play his position at a very high level right now. It's simply a poor allocation of funds when compared to the talent on the roster.

A team with a huge DE need, then this could be a different situation for them. Sometimes when you're bleeding out at a position then the level of importance is different than a team that has a total of 3 top 20 DE's in the league. With that said, the team bleeding out at the position may see it as reasonable to pay Wilk 16+ million, but paying him that amount of money and giving up a 1st??? They might as well just draft a DE with the 1st round pick and save themselves 100 million in the process. Let the Jets deal with that franchise tag. 

Snacks is purely a run stopper. The best in the league perhaps but he's not an every down impact guy like Mo. Loved Snacks but with Mo, Sheldon and Williams I don't see us suddenly struggling in that area. He's a good pickup for any team though and would have indispensable 10/15 years ago.

The way I see/hope the Mo situation playing out is that we'll keep him for one more season and decide where to invest next year based on how they perform (or behave in the case of Sheldon). I don't like the fact that we've resorted to putting down one guy in order to talking up the others. They're all incredible talents and looking like the three best picks we've made since Revis.

I'd like to see them together one more time - They were excellent last season but probably never maximized their potential for whatever reason. It's a shame we don't have the sort of LB core than can exploit their dominance on the line, I think that's been overlooked when judging their performance. The LB core is mediocre but more significantly it's incredibly slow.

Basically we'll see how it plays out on the field and make the decisions when we have the flexibility cap-wise based on their level of play. If they're utterly dominant game after game and shutting teams down they might seem too good to breakup (unlikely as it would cost far too much but who knows). If one has a significantly better year then the decision might make itself and if they don't have anywhere near the impact they should we may decide we're investing in the wrong area altogether. You limit your options significantly with Mo leaving now and I do think it's worth the risk to keep him. 

Again I'm the furthest thing from a cap expert so I may be being idealistic but I don't want to look back at Mo and think what could have been while he dominates elsewhere. 

On 3/31/2016 at 9:10 AM, drsamuel84 said:

While this situation has unfortunately gotten a little out of hand I do think Macc is doing the right thing by not overpaying Mo. I love the guy, he's stayed out of trouble, local guy from Linden, NJ, homegrown talent drafted by the Jets but the fact still remains he's not Von Miller or JJ Watt and it sounds like he's asking for that kind of money  (which I don't begrudge him for NFL careers are short with non guaranteed contracts get paid while you can). And with the younger, cheaper talent on the D-Line we just can't put all that cap space into Mo that's not how you build a sustainable winner.  I think the market is proving Mo's worth too as no one has given Macc a deal to this point he's willing to pull the trigger on.

With the franchise tag Mac is vastly overpaying Wilkerson. 15.7 million for one season? That's foolish and irresponsible financially. You have to resign Fitzpatrick, and restructure Ferguson's cap dollars. Then you have to sign draft picks. Take off the tag Mac and if he walks, he walks. Let someone else overpay for his above average but not elite talent. Jets are deep enough on d-line to take the hit. Plus, the draft is deep in d-line talent. With the cap dollars that results from taking off the tag the team could sign an o-lineman, which is where help is really needed.

37 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

With the franchise tag Mac is vastly overpaying Wilkerson. 15.7 million for one season? That's foolish and irresponsible financially. You have to resign Fitzpatrick, and restructure Ferguson's cap dollars. Then you have to sign draft picks. Take off the tag Mac and if he walks, he walks. Let someone else overpay for his above average but not elite talent. Jets are deep enough on d-line to take the hit. Plus, the draft is deep in d-line talent. With the cap dollars that results from taking off the tag the team could sign an o-lineman, which is where help is really needed.

I don't disagree but what was the alternative to the franchise tag?  Letting him walk for nothing, unfortunately the Jets FO backed themselves into a corner on this one and didn't have much of a choice.  The rest of the league knows that and isn't going to overpay for him by giving up top draft picks.  I think the best we can hope for is a 2nd rd. pick at this point and the obvious point of getting his inflated salary off our cap.  I like Mo and would hate to see him go but you can't pay everyone $16mm a year, he's a really good player but not a game changing great player.  In this pass happy league run stuffers are great but you need an edge pass rusher to be successful.  Those are the d-lineman that get paid.

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Something about too many in this fanbase who take joy in disparaging jet players performances even when they're good or better.  

Look, he's a very good player.  But he doesn't bring it week in and week out.  You can watch some games and not even notice the guy.  Look at the Texans game.  Watt wrecked the game.  Where was Wilkerson?

I'm sorry, you do not break the bank on guys who are just very good players.  The Jets have had some elite defensive players -- Kris Jenkins, John Abraham, Darrelle Revis.  Go back and watch Jenkins and then go watch Wilkerson.  It's not even close.

And if Wilkerson was so great, why won't any teams give up a first for him?  The Jets had no problems getting a first for Abraham and Revis.  

16 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets brass thinks that Richardson is more talented than Wilkerson.  Leonard Williams was drafted to be Wilkerson's replacement.  The problem is, Richardson sort of screwed up the plan with his off the field behavior.

And Brandon Marshall is the best player on the Jets, brah.

Nope, literally none of this. 

Archived