Jump to content
Gangrene

Waiting for the Jet's Bombshell

Recommended Posts

 

 

I thought this was worth sharing if you have not seen it this morning ... a prediction of  a Jets salary cap dump.

It's hard to argue the logic and it's the logical explanation why the Jets are shopping Mo even though he is in his prime and a top three player on this team...

Unless you are going to push the salary cap can down the road by reworking contracts, we all previously knew that the cap number dictate that it that it might be Fitzpatrick or Brick

... or FItzpatrick or Wilkerson

Waiting for bombshell move that will unclog Jets' cap mess

The New York Jets are facing a serious salary-cap crunch, one that goes deeper than what you see in the column marked "cap room." Their salary structure is so out of whack that it screams, "Fix me!" And they just might, with a blockbuster move.

By now, most folks who follow the Jets know they're only about $2 million under the cap. In other words, they're searching the kitty for spare change. There's no shame in that. After all, they've spent a lot of money over the past 13 months, trying to improve the roster. That's what you wanted, right? That's why you wanted the fiscally conservative John Idzik out of the general manager's chair. You got your wish and now you have an aggressive GM in Mike Maccagnan.

The real problem is how the money is distributed. The Jets have a top-heavy salary structure, and it's not healthy.

The three highest-paid players -- Darrelle Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson and D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- are eating up $46.8 million, roughly 30 percent of the entire cap. The other 48 players counting against the cap occupy the remaining 70 percent.

In other words, there's Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg ... and everybody else.

The Jets aren't unique in this respect. In fact, their Big Three ranks sixth in the NFL in total cap charges. They're being outspent by the Pittsburgh Steelers, Kansas City Chiefs, New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals. The Steelers lead the pack, with $51.5 million devoted to their three highest-paid players.

But there's a difference between those five teams and the Jets, and it's quite significant: Each one has a quarterback in its top three and the Jets don't. Right now, they're spending a league-low $2.3 million at the quarterback position, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

So to recap: The Jets are spending with the big boys, but none of the big checks are going to a quarterback. They're paying two players on the decline, Revis and Ferguson. Wilkerson is an ascending player, but he can't get a long-term contract. Does this make any sense? Of course it doesn't.

This isn't entirely Maccagnan's fault because he inherited the Ferguson contract, but he gave the big deal to Revis and he's had more than a year to address the Wilkerson situation. He could lower Wilkerson's cap charge by negotiating a long-term contract, but the organization shows no inclination to making it happen.

All of which leads us to this conclusion: Something has to give.

The Jets can't re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick (or a Fitzpatrick replacement) and pay their draft picks under the current cap situation, which means a big salary dump is on the way. Revis isn't going anywhere because his salary is guaranteed, so it has to be Wilkerson or Ferguson.

Trading Wilkerson would clear $15.7 million, the amount of his franchise tag, but it'll be hard to get equal value for him because of the complexities of a tag-and-trade. He has considerable say in the matter because he won't sign off on a trade unless the new team meets his contract demands.

Cutting Ferguson would save $9.7 million, but that would make little sense unless they can secure a replacement -- i.e. drafting a left tackle in the first round. There are three top-shelf left tackles in the draft, and the chances of one slipping to the Jets at No. 20 aren't great.

The Jets don't have total control of the Ferguson and Wilkerson scenarios, which puts them in a bind. Their options: Go into the season with Gates, Buffett and Zuckerberg, weighing down the entire operation, or make a desperation move to clear the cap space.

Don't be surprised if it's the latter.

 

ET

 

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every draft we see this team taking either a defensive lineman, a CB, or a LBer that they HOPE can be transitioned into a pass rushing hybrid  -and it never seems to have worked. The Jets finally get a REAL star and now they have no other option except to trade him-WHY does this team always end up losing it's best players that they themselves draft and try to replace them with someone else's?  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Every draft we see this team taking either a defensive lineman, a CB, or a LBer that they HOPE can be transitioned into a pass rushing hybrid  -and it never seems to have worked. The Jets finally get a REAL star and now they have no other option except to trade him-WHY does this team always end up losing it's best players that they themselves draft and try to replace them with someone else's?  

Because Jets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe they are deparately trying to trade Mo but no one is going to give them fair compensation because they will have to give Mo big money.  They are probably getting 2nd rnd pick as an offer.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before, trading Wilk was important because the Jets and him were never going to agree to a contract. Now, that the franchise tag is even larger, it makes even more economic sense. Hell, I wish we could do this every year. Lets get guys that become great players and we trade them off before they get big money from us. Actually, I'd be much more impressed if the Jets could start picking great talent that regularly. Objectively, they suck at picking talent.

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I believe they are deparately trying to trade Mo but no one is going to give them fair compensation because they will have to give Mo big money.  They are probably getting 2nd rnd pick as an offer.

a 2nd?  Fuk it.  Keep him tagged and work on a long term deal.  If they can't come to an agreement in the next 10 monts, then let him go as a UFA after the 2016 season.  We'll get a 3rd as long are we make sure we have at least one less UFA acquired than lost and nothing acquired that would match Mo's new salary on his new 2017 team.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

 Hell, I wish we could do this every year. Lets get guys that become great players and we trade them off before they get big money from us. , I'd be much more impressed if the Jets could start picking great talent that regularly. Objectively, they suck at picking talent.

Agreed. Let's keep trading our good players and we'll win a Superbowl for sure!

If it comes to it Ferguson is the guy to cut loose and replace in the draft. He's the one clearly not justifying his salary.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Poor article, as usual. This article suggests we need a major salary dump for sure. I don't think so. We have about a billion dollar cap space for the following year with no major FAs of our own. We can very easily convert a couple of guys' salary into signing bonus and push the money back, thus, saving your rare draft hit. Totally agree with the post below. 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think either D'Brick or Breno goes once we draft a OT.  Gilcrest, Skrine, and Decker are all options for restructures. 

I'd be surprised if we trade Mo for pennies on the dollar. At some point Mac's going to have to realize that counting on Sheldon Richardson long term is a bad idea. The Jets have the future cap space for Mo. They've got to figure out a way to make it work.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
a 2nd?  Fuk it.  Keep him tagged and work on a long term deal.  If they can't come to an agreement in the next 10 monts, then let him go as a UFA after the 2016 season.  We'll get a 3rd as long are we make sure we have at least one less UFA acquired than lost and nothing acquired that would match Mo's new salary on his new 2017 team.

So, you are OK letting Mo go for a measly 3rd round draft pick?

I'm sure the Jets will turn that into another All-Pro player.

  • Thumb Down 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Every draft we see this team taking either a defensive lineman, a CB, or a LBer that they HOPE can be transitioned into a pass rushing hybrid  -and it never seems to have worked. The Jets finally get a REAL star and now they have no other option except to trade him-WHY does this team always end up losing it's best players that they themselves draft and try to replace them with someone else's?  

The Pats just traded Jones who had the same sack number as Mo playing one year less then Mo for a 2nd rd pick and a bust player.. Question who is worth more to their team Mo at 15.7 million or Brady 14 million in 2016??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People keep talking about what we are "owed" for Wilkerson.  I think the Franchise Tag was intended as a tool to bring parties together that otherwise want to and should work out out a deal.  The Jets have checked out on Wilkerson.  If I was the NFLPA, I would be negotiating the "tag and trade" option out of the the next CBA.   The Jets should either (i) take any draft pick this year that is better than the compensatory pick they would get next year or (ii) sign him to a very long term contract that gives him alot of money upfront but has a low cap cost (kick can down the road).  If the can't do this and want to be competitive this season, they should just cut him.  That could motivate Wilkerson to sign a fair long term contract-if he enters the FA market now, many teams do not have any money left.  

I think they misplayed their hand with Wilkerson.  (i) the smarter teams appear not to want to pay a premium price for a player who does what Wilkerson does and (ii) if they can't sign Wilkerson, how are they going to sign Richardson?   I think we are better off signing WIlkerson long term to a cap friendly contract, tapping into some of the cap space that will be available when Revis moves on, and then letting Richardson walk.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, varjet said:

People keep talking about what we are "owed" for Wilkerson.  I think the Franchise Tag was intended as a tool to bring parties together that otherwise want to and should work out out a deal.  The Jets have checked out on Wilkerson.  If I was the NFLPA, I would be negotiating the "tag and trade" option out of the the next CBA.   The Jets should either (i) take any draft pick this year that is better than the compensatory pick they would get next year or (ii) sign him to a very long term contract that gives him alot of money upfront but has a low cap cost (kick can down the road).  If the can't do this and want to be competitive this season, they should just cut him.  That could motivate Wilkerson to sign a fair long term contract-if he enters the FA market now, many teams do not have any money left.  

I think they misplayed their hand with Wilkerson.  (i) the smarter teams appear not to want to pay a premium price for a player who does what Wilkerson does and (ii) if they can't sign Wilkerson, how are they going to sign Richardson?   I think we are better off signing WIlkerson long term to a cap friendly contract, tapping into some of the cap space that will be available when Revis moves on, and then letting Richardson walk.  

Jacksonville or Oakland would lock MO up within moments of his release. Maccagnan is slow playing this. Some team will bite when they miss out on their guy in rd. 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, varjet said:

 

I think they misplayed their hand with Wilkerson.  (i) the smarter teams appear not to want to pay a premium price for a player who does what Wilkerson does and (ii) if they can't sign Wilkerson, how are they going to sign Richardson?   I think we are better off signing WIlkerson long term to a cap friendly contract, tapping into some of the cap space that will be available when Revis moves on, and then letting Richardson walk.  

I agree they misplayed their hand on Wilkerson but renegotiating contracts other players contracts to to push the can down the road ... that's what got us here.

 

Even a cap friendly contract will require other players on the roster converting some of their contracts to signing bonus  pushing the fiscal kick back down the road.

Why push more of this year's salary costs on to next years cap when we are clearly not going to the Super Bowl this year ?

Keeping great players like Revis has got us no closer to a super Bowl but it has kept us respectable. Great players are particularly useful on teams with solid rosters (eg. Revis on the Pats) , the difference maker, getting a good team "over the hump" into the Super Bowl. Great players Like Marshall, Mo and Revis kept the Jets from being a four win team to a ten win team. Our roster is mediocre  at best, this team is going no where with Wilkerson on or off the roster. We need an injection of talent across the board from special teams all the way up to QB. How to do that without draft picks and tons of luck is beyond me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

The three highest-paid players -- Darrelle Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson and D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- are eating up $46.8 million, roughly 30 percent of the entire cap. The other 48 players counting against the cap occupy the remaining 70 percent.

In other words, there's Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg ... and everybody else.

I really don't understand how it's possible to become this much worse of a writer as every year passes. Good lord with his sh*t. It's like if something isn't a bad metaphor or a googled synonym the guy has lost all ability to describe something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I really don't understand how it's possible to become this much worse of a writer as every year passes. 

Cimini adapted to his audience 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

So, you are OK letting Mo go for a measly 3rd round draft pick?

I'm sure the Jets will turn that into another All-Pro player.

You just let a pro bowl pass rusher go for a underachiever jag guard and a low 2nd rounder.  I'm sure you blasted that pats for that great move.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dcat said:

And as for the snide remark: Go Fk yourself, aszhole. No, I mean GFY in the aszhole. 

Keep it up.  I'll press behind the scene to get rid of you like I did at JI and that cost you a year.  Wanna bet that I will succeed...  Hmmmm?

From your lips to Maxman's ears...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing we have learned about Mac is he is deliberate not rushing to make decisions- lets see how this plays out over the next month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooner or later Woody Johnson is going to wake the hell up and demand Macc does whatever he has to get this team a franchise QB 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Every draft we see this team taking either a defensive lineman, a CB, or a LBer that they HOPE can be transitioned into a pass rushing hybrid  -and it never seems to have worked. The Jets finally get a REAL star and now they have no other option except to trade him-WHY does this team always end up losing it's best players that they themselves draft and try to replace them with someone else's?  

That's Rex for you. He picks Quentin Coples only to miss out on Chandler Jones FROM SYRACUSE no less. The only defensive players the Jets have taken have been DL and a safety. It SHOULD HAVE been a CB like Kyle Fuller, but the idiot Idzik went along with Rex's desire for the "Louisville Slugger" Calvin Pryor, who has been ok, but with Fuller there would have been no need for Revis redux. At least not at that price. The last CB taken in the early rounds was in 2010 when they "stole" Kyle Wilson. Some steal. I agree that the Jets have reached for pass rush guys to little or no avail because they had the Three Stooges of Rex, Tannenbaum and Idzik making the decisions. Mac will figure it out. Don't forget Leonard Williams could fill in for Mo if need be. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I agree they misplayed their hand on Wilkerson but renegotiating contracts other players contracts to to push the can down the road ... that's what got us here.

 

Even a cap friendly contract will require other players on the roster converting some of their contracts to signing bonus  pushing the fiscal kick back down the road.

Why push more of this year's salary costs on to next years cap when we are clearly not going to the Super Bowl this year ?

Keeping great players like Revis has got us no closer to a super Bowl but it has kept us respectable. Great players are particularly useful on teams with solid rosters (eg. Revis on the Pats) , the difference maker, getting a good team "over the hump" into the Super Bowl. Great players Like Marshall, Mo and Revis kept the Jets from being a four win team to a ten win team. Our roster is mediocre  at best, this team is going no where with Wilkerson on or off the roster. We need an injection of talent across the board from special teams all the way up to QB. How to do that without draft picks and tons of luck is beyond me.

It seems more and more likely the Jets simply release Wilkerson and gain the 15.7 million. Then they can restructure Ferguson and put even more dollars in the mattress. They will lose Mo eventually anyway if they can't get a deal done and that seems as likely as me becoming HC. I don't think Mac has faith in Mo being a long term great player. I also think Mo have over valued himself in the market and if the Jets did let him go I doubt he would command 15.7 million from anyone else. Otherwise it would be a very easy trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

It seems more and more likely the Jets simply release Wilkerson and gain the 15.7 million. 

I'd like some of what you're smoking. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That's Rex for you. He picks Quentin Coples only to miss out on Chandler Jones FROM SYRACUSE no less. The only defensive players the Jets have taken have been DL and a safety. It SHOULD HAVE been a CB like Kyle Fuller, but the idiot Idzik went along with Rex's desire for the "Louisville Slugger" Calvin Pryor, who has been ok, but with Fuller there would have been no need for Revis redux. At least not at that price. The last CB taken in the early rounds was in 2010 when they "stole" Kyle Wilson. Some steal. I agree that the Jets have reached for pass rush guys to little or no avail because they had the Three Stooges of Rex, Tannenbaum and Idzik making the decisions. Mac will figure it out. Don't forget Leonard Williams could fill in for Mo if need be. 

That wasn't Rex's pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

It seems more and more likely the Jets simply release Wilkerson and gain the 15.7 million. Then they can restructure Ferguson and put even more dollars in the mattress. They will lose Mo eventually anyway if they can't get a deal done and that seems as likely as me becoming HC. I don't think Mac has faith in Mo being a long term great player. I also think Mo have over valued himself in the market and if the Jets did let him go I doubt he would command 15.7 million from anyone else. Otherwise it would be a very easy trade.

DUMBEST post I've ever read on this forum 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That's Rex for you. He picks Quentin Coples only to miss out on Chandler Jones FROM SYRACUSE no less. The only defensive players the Jets have taken have been DL and a safety. It SHOULD HAVE been a CB like Kyle Fuller, but the idiot Idzik went along with Rex's desire for the "Louisville Slugger" Calvin Pryor, who has been ok, but with Fuller there would have been no need for Revis redux. At least not at that price. The last CB taken in the early rounds was in 2010 when they "stole" Kyle Wilson. Some steal. I agree that the Jets have reached for pass rush guys to little or no avail because they had the Three Stooges of Rex, Tannenbaum and Idzik making the decisions. Mac will figure it out. Don't forget Leonard Williams could fill in for Mo if need be. 

The Revis thing was Woody, I think. He can be minimized after next year. Pryor is a lot better than OK.  Stunk his rookie year, when The Genius played him (like Coples) in the wrong spot.  We have to face it, Mo has to go, in some form or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one easy way out of this mess is just to pay Mo Wilkerson. The article seems to make it sound like they can't afford but they absolutely can. They can backload the deal and make the bonus hit spread over multiple years. MO's hit could go from 15.7 mil to 1 mil. 

but that would involve the Jets paying Mo. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

one easy way out of this mess is just to pay Mo Wilkerson. The article seems to make it sound like they can't afford but they absolutely can. They can backload the deal and make the bonus hit spread over multiple years. MO's hit could go from 15.7 mil to 1 mil. 

but that would involve the Jets paying Mo. 

Agree pay Mo lock him up then revamp the OL cut Breno and Brick and if they wont restructure 

Time for the Jets to play some hardball with the underachievers on this team

Forget about Fitz we cant afford him 

Move on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
one easy way out of this mess is just to pay Mo Wilkerson. The article seems to make it sound like they can't afford but they absolutely can. They can backload the deal and make the bonus hit spread over multiple years. MO's hit could go from 15.7 mil to 1 mil. 

but that would involve the Jets paying Mo. 

Isn't that the same strategy the Jets used with Brick?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

one easy way out of this mess is just to pay Mo Wilkerson. The article seems to make it sound like they can't afford but they absolutely can. They can backload the deal and make the bonus hit spread over multiple years. MO's hit could go from 15.7 mil to 1 mil. 

but that would involve the Jets paying Mo. 

 

I don't agree with backloading we just get stuck down the road Even if the bonus is spread over five or seven year, prorating a giant signing bonus still means a couple of million  or more have to be found this year. It's the guaranteed money that is likely keeping Mo and the Jets agreeing on a deal, not some non-guaranteed money at the end of the contract.

We signed Revis to a  sh*tload of of money, a move popular with the frustrated fans who want a home grown hall of fame player on the roster. To what cost ? His once great play fell of dramatically last year. What's he going to be like this year ? Is he going to play like 16 million or even a number one quality corner ? Chances are against that happening.

 

It all goes back to the same old debate, Do we want

Option A, a team that goes to the playoffs once in a while with an honorable exit in the first round  and maybe a rare AFC championship game appearance? This assures the season ticket holders feel they are rewarded for parting with their hard earned cash.

Paying Fitzpatrick and Mo keeps the Jets in option A mode.

Option B is a lot risker, with an angry fan base complaining about ticket prices.  That is keep acquiring draft picks swinging for the fences. All the while focusing on roster dept, special teams and growing players on their rookie contract. If you get a rare stroke of good luck on the option B plan... you might draft a top five QB or a top five pass rusher, and  have a chance at a Super Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

It seems more and more likely the Jets simply release Wilkerson and gain the 15.7 million. Then they can restructure Ferguson and put even more dollars in the mattress. They will lose Mo eventually anyway if they can't get a deal done and that seems as likely as me becoming HC. I don't think Mac has faith in Mo being a long term great player. I also think Mo have over valued himself in the market and if the Jets did let him go I doubt he would command 15.7 million from anyone else. Otherwise it would be a very easy trade.

Mo will not get cut, if anyone gets cut and that's not guaranteed ... it's got to be Brick and/or Giacomini. One of them at the very least, likely takes a pay cut.

None of this may be clear until after the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...