Waiting for the Jet's Bombshell

Gangrene

6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Trade Mo to Tampa Bay for Glennon and a 2nd rounder.

TB would never go for that. He would be making more money than Jameis Winston, who is the face of the franchise. Please. The money the Jets are going to have to shell out for him is irresponsible and foolish. 15.7 million for a DE who is well above average, but not elite. He's not going to crack 15 sacks in any season his whole career. I like Mo, but I like a lot of players on the NY Jets and I wouldn't let one player tip my entire cap space out of whack.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

one easy way out of this mess is just to pay Mo Wilkerson. The article seems to make it sound like they can't afford but they absolutely can. They can backload the deal and make the bonus hit spread over multiple years. MO's hit could go from 15.7 mil to 1 mil. 

but that would involve the Jets paying Mo. 

Only players in decline take backloaded contracts. Wilkerson would probably not play ball. He wants QB money and if the Jets are stupid enough to give it to him it begins the beginning of the end of the Maccagnan era. What does he do next year? He'll have Richardson to worry about then along with Wilk. I believe that Wilkerson is the better player and I would prefer to lose Richardson than Wilkerson, but that is not the situation the team faces right now.

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

It seems more and more likely the Jets simply release Wilkerson and gain the 15.7 million. Then they can restructure Ferguson and put even more dollars in the mattress. They will lose Mo eventually anyway if they can't get a deal done and that seems as likely as me becoming HC. I don't think Mac has faith in Mo being a long term great player. I also think Mo have over valued himself in the market and if the Jets did let him go I doubt he would command 15.7 million from anyone else. Otherwise it would be a very easy trade.

Jmo I think your analysis is spot on what could happen with Wilkerson.( they have no plans to sign him to a long term contract.   The Jets know there is a good chance Wilkerson will be a camp holdout.  Players that miss most of camp tend to get injured( you want to pay a guy 15.7 that ends up on IR.). 

The Jets could roll over a portion of Wilkerson savings next year.( giving the Jets even more cap space to be big players in Fa). If I'm Wilkerson agent, I'm signing that franchise tender now.( he might not get 15.7 next year- might have to settle for one year contract.

You just let a pro bowl pass rusher go for a underachiever jag guard and a low 2nd rounder.  I'm sure you blasted that pats for that great move.

No, the Pats know when to unload players before they become a problem.

Good luck paying Mo $15MM and letting him go for nothing next year.

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

It seems more and more likely the Jets simply release Wilkerson and gain the 15.7 million. Then they can restructure Ferguson and put even more dollars in the mattress. They will lose Mo eventually anyway if they can't get a deal done and that seems as likely as me becoming HC. I don't think Mac has faith in Mo being a long term great player. I also think Mo have over valued himself in the market and if the Jets did let him go I doubt he would command 15.7 million from anyone else. Otherwise it would be a very easy trade.

Seems less likely to me.

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

of course I'm not ok with it. I'd rather they sign Mo to a long term deal.  I don't trust Sheldon.  

And as for the snide remark: Go Fk yourself, aszhole. No, I mean GFY in the aszhole. 

Keep it up.  I'll press behind the scene to get rid of you like I did at JI and that cost you a year.  Wanna bet that I will succeed...  Hmmmm?

Dcat! Dcat! Dcat!!!! F him up D!!!!

Bricka Bracka, Bricka Bracka, Sis Boom Bah! Kick him in the nuts!!!!!

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

TB would never go for that. He would be making more money than Jameis Winston, who is the face of the franchise. Please. The money the Jets are going to have to shell out for him is irresponsible and foolish. 15.7 million for a DE who is well above average, but not elite. He's not going to crack 15 sacks in any season his whole career. I like Mo, but I like a lot of players on the NY Jets and I wouldn't let one player tip my entire cap space out of whack.

?

There's a rookie cap in place. Theres a lot of guys on TB's roster that make more than Winston.

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Every FA they sign makes more then Winston.   This makes zero sense.  

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Seems less likely to me.

What's the Jet end game if no team  is willing to trade for him( don't want to give up picks + give him a monster contract) . Jets assumed there would be a market for his service , and might realize now it was a mistake to franchise him.(15.7 sitting on their books is a lot when have limited cap space). 

The Jets clearly don't want to sign Wilkerson to a long term deal at market rate, or a deal would have been done already.( Jets had how much money to play with in 2015, and still couldn't re-sign him to extension .)

No fan base wants to lose a talent like Wilkerson for nothing.   If they rescind the Franchise tag, Wilkerson would become a unrestricted Fa.  There is a good chance Jets would get a high compensation pick  in 2017 .( will that be the case in 2018 when Jets will be much bigger players in Fa in 2017.  The Jets would get 15.7 million in cap relief.( could roll over a portion of that space to next year).

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

What's the Jet end game if no team  is willing to trade for him( don't want to give up picks + give him a monster contract) . Jets assumed there would be a market for his service , and might realize now it was a mistake to franchise him.(15.7 sitting on their books is a lot when have limited cap space). 

The Jets clearly don't want to sign Wilkerson to a long term deal at market rate, or a deal would have been done already.( Jets had how much money to play with in 2015, and still couldn't re-sign him to extension .)

No fan base wants to lose a talent like Wilkerson for nothing.   If they rescind the Franchise tag, Wilkerson would become a unrestricted Fa.  There is a good chance Jets would get a high compensation pick  in 2017 .( will that be the case in 2018 when Jets will be much bigger players in Fa in 2017.  The Jets would get 15.7 million in cap relief.( could roll over a portion of that space to next year).

Or they're fielding offers as we speak and are waiting to see if there's a bigger offer coming, having Mo on the books for 15mil or 15 dollars changes nothing today.  When Williams fell in their laps everything changed for the Jets.  You keep saying they could have or would have extended him. If they didn't want to pay every lineman on the roster, they should play it exactly as they're playing it. There are rules in place, players remind us it's a business all the time.  If they were looking to move him all along they're playing it right.  

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or they're fielding offers as we speak and are waiting to see if there's a bigger offer coming, having Mo on the books for 15mil or 15 dollars changes nothing today.  When Williams fell in their laps everything changed for the Jets.  You keep saying they could have or would have extended him. If they didn't want to pay every lineman on the roster, they should play it exactly as they're playing it. There are rules in place, players remind us it's a business all the time.  If they were looking to move him all along they're playing it right.  

I can't tell you that isn't the case , but if Cimini right( NFL teams told him it's almost impossible to trade Muhammad Wilkerson under the franchise tag now ) .   

If that is correct , do the Jets want to waste 15.7 million on a player they thought they be able to move in a tag and trade.( or do you cut your losses and regroup that 15.7 to open up much needed cap space, and to have a little money in reserve.( for an injury).

a couple of points - Jets could get an offer they can accept, and there is no trade if Muhammad Wilkerson doesn't agree to a long term agreement with the trading team-maybe Wilkerson doesn't want to play for that trading team-  will play under franchise tag this year, and become a Ufa next year.( don't see the Jet tagging him again) .

Once M Wilkerson signs that tag he's guaranteed to get that 15.7( unless they do a long term deal- drafting Leonard Williams made Muhammad Wilkerson expendable or they can trade him.  If the Jets can't trade him than they are stuck with that 15.7 million.( that's the point if the intention was to always trade him, and they can't, do they want him eating up that much space for one year. ( why dropping the franchise tag is possible before Wilkerson signs that tag.

also if Muhammad Wilkerson doesn't sign that franchise tag- he can hold out all training camp.( sign it right before the season starts) .   The Jets can't fine him .  

Do the Jets want that kind of  distraction in camp, on a player they don't want to pay, as they drafted his replacement last fall.( Leonard Williams)

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

I can't tell you that isn't the case , but if Cimini right( NFL teams told him it's almost impossible to trade Muhammad Wilkerson under the franchise tag now ) .   

If that is correct , do the Jets want to waste 15.7 million on a player they thought they be able to move in a tag and trade.( or do you cut your losses and regroup that 15.7 to open up much needed cap space, and to have a little money in reserve.( for an injury).

a couple of points - Jets could get an offer they can accept, and there is no trade if Muhammad Wilkerson doesn't agree to a long term agreement with the trading team-maybe Wilkerson doesn't want to play for that trading team-  will play under franchise tag this year, and become a Ufa next year.( don't see the Jet tagging him again) .

Once M Wilkerson signs that tag he's guaranteed to get that 15.7( unless they do a long term deal- drafting Leonard Williams made Muhammad Wilkerson expendable or they can trade him.  If the Jets can't trade him than they are stuck with that 15.7 million.( that's the point if the intention was to always trade him, and they can't, do they want him eating up that much space for one year. ( why dropping the franchise tag is possible before Wilkerson signs that tag.

Jets and teams have all the leverage.  Yes, Mo can sit out.  That's about as stupid a move he could make on any level.  We always hear that a player could sit out, only has happened once.  If a team trades for him they know what it will take to sign him, like Tampa & NE knew what it would take to sign Revis after they traded for him or signed him as a FA.  When you're a top FA like Mo would be, there are only a few landing spots due to cap issues as well as need.  Cimini being Cimini doesn't quite get that there aren't too many teams with a need and the cap room to sign him.  Has nothing to do with wanting him or not, there aren't too many teams, if any, that wouldn't be better with Mo on their roster.  Only a few braindead Jets fans would disagree 

Sooner or later Woody Johnson is going to wake the hell up and demand Macc does whatever he has to get this team a franchise QB 

Yes!! It's amazing how franchise QB's are falling from the sky and we haven't bothered to get one.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Jets and teams have all the leverage.  Yes, Mo can sit out.  That's about as stupid a move he could make on any level.  We always hear that a player could sit out, only has happened once.  If a team trades for him they know what it will take to sign him, like Tampa & NE knew what it would take to sign Revis after they traded for him or signed him as a FA.  When you're a top FA like Mo would be, there are only a few landing spots due to cap issues as well as need.  Cimini being Cimini doesn't quite get that there aren't too many teams with a need and the cap room to sign him.  Has nothing to do with wanting him or not, there aren't too many teams, if any, that wouldn't be better with Mo on their roster.  Only a few braindead Jets fans would disagree 

Muhammad Wilkerson isn't sitting out.    If he forced to play under the tag this year, he will do what ever franchise tagged player usually does.  He won't sign the tender, and blow off all the Ota's and training camp .( signing a week before the season - when he gets paid ).      There is a good chance of injury , and do the Jets want to pay him 15.7 million sitting on the bench.

No that isn't correct the Jets and trading team will work out compensation to acquire him, and than it's up to that trading team and Mo agent to see if they can hammer out a long term contract.( he might have no desire to play for The Browns, and could refuse to even discuss a contract extension- thus killing the trade.( Muhammad Wilkerson has a big say in if he's traded.( underestimating his leverage when it comes to trade).

I don't understand your point you admit that there isn't many teams that can fit Muhammad Wilkerson in their cap space, and have a need to acquire him. Yet you think the Jets have teams that are going to trade for him.( which is it) 

My point is the Jet fan who says there is a chance the Jets will rescind Muhammad Wilkerson franchise tag at some point.( more time goes by and there are no good trade offers).  Is just as probably of happening as your trade theory.   Let's see what happens in four weeks.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That's a good point because some teams might not deal until they see if the player they want is still there when they pick..

On 3/31/2016 at 5:26 PM, Ex-Rex said:

Only players in decline take backloaded contracts.  

It wouldn't be a backloaded contract. It would be a normal star contract and he gets his money today but the hit for the bonus can be spread over multiple seasons. 

On 4/1/2016 at 8:07 AM, Snell41 said:

Yes!! It's amazing how franchise QB's are falling from the sky and we haven't bothered to get one.

the Jets owner isn't demanding enough. that's the problem. Wishing and hoping isn't enough. Woody has to yell at more people. That will stop Brady's habitual cheating. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, Raideraholic said:

Muhammad Wilkerson isn't sitting out.    If he forced to play under the tag this year, he will do what ever franchise tagged player usually does.  He won't sign the tender, and blow off all the Ota's and training camp .( signing a week before the season - when he gets paid ).      There is a good chance of injury , and do the Jets want to pay him 15.7 million sitting on the bench.

No that isn't correct the Jets and trading team will work out compensation to acquire him, and than it's up to that trading team and Mo agent to see if they can hammer out a long term contract.( he might have no desire to play for The Browns, and could refuse to even discuss a contract extension- thus killing the trade.( Muhammad Wilkerson has a big say in if he's traded.( underestimating his leverage when it comes to trade).

I don't understand your point you admit that there isn't many teams that can fit Muhammad Wilkerson in their cap space, and have a need to acquire him. Yet you think the Jets have teams that are going to trade for him.( which is it) 

My point is the Jet fan who says there is a chance the Jets will rescind Muhammad Wilkerson franchise tag at some point.( more time goes by and there are no good trade offers).  Is just as probably of happening as your trade theory.   Let's see what happens in four weeks.

Wow, there is ZERO chance the Jets pull the tag and let him just be a FA   ZERO

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets need to trade mo and cut dbrick so hey can give Ftiz the 3 year 15 million a year contract he deserves.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

:D Thanks for bringing some sanity back! LOL

I guess thats why a consensus is sometimes better than a single decision maker.

I have to assume you guys are being sarcastic.   3 years @ $15 mil per for a barely functioning journeyman with 1 good year and no playoffs under his belt?

Please tell me you are BOTH joking.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I have to assume you guys are being sarcastic.   3 years @ $15 mil per for a barely functioning journeyman with 1 good year and no playoffs under his belt?

I am , for sure.I really think Macc has turned the page on Fitz.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Osweiler GOT 18!  Fitz is better than him thus he really deserves 18.5 but will settle for 15, if we get rid of the excess contracts.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Osweiler GOT 18!  Fitz is better than him thus he really deserves 18.5 but will settle for 15, if we get rid of the excess contracts.

Osweiller has been to the SB. :)  Fitz has been to the Anchor bar in Buffalo NY and was laughed out of the place.

On March 31, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

I believe they are deparately trying to trade Mo but no one is going to give them fair compensation because they will have to give Mo big money.  They are probably getting 2nd rnd pick as an offer.

Which would suck

Archived