Cowboys trade?

Joe Jets fan

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/01/jets-fuel-mapping-out-a-cowboys-draft-day-trade-for-muhammad-wilkerson/

By: Zeke Barrera   

Can’t please everybody.  Even harder?  To know what the Cowboys will do with the 4th overall pick on April 28th. After much speculation and table pounding, we’re no closer to finding out who the Cowboys likely to take now than we were when the 2015 season mercifully ended. The Cowboys have needs on the defensive side of the ball, and a solution may be staring them right in the face; trade for the Jets’ Muhammad Wilkerson.

To acquire him, the Cowboys would have to give up the number four pick in the NFL Draft; but they could get plenty back in return.

Wilkerson is a 26 year old defensive lineman who was selected out of Temple by the New York Jets in the first round of the 2011 draft. With the Jets he’s a 3-4 defensive end but in Dallas’ 40-front he’d slide inside to defensive tackle.

He has 36.5 career sacks, 12 of which came during a very productive 2015 season, which was the last year of his contract. He was franchise tagged this offseason, and is currently recovering from a broken leg he suffered in Week 17.  Nonetheless, he’s been an integral part of the New York Jet’s roster, and a true force along their defensive line. As such, it’s puzzling why the Jets are shopping him.

New York did draft DE Leonard Williams 6th overall in 2015, and already have a terrifying front seven, so perhaps they are reluctant to hand out the long-term deal that Wilkerson deserves given their more pressing needs.

There’s one team with a world-class pass rusher they might not really want, and another with a dire need for a pass rush combined with a roster and appetite to win now. The “another team” holds the 4th overall pick in the 2016 draft, and might not know who they want to spend it on.

Why not swap 2016 1st round picks with the Jets for Muhammad Wilkerson?

Going from fourth overall to 20th seems a steep drop, but makes sense for a variety of reasons. For starters, the math. It’s widely reported the Jets want a first-rounder in exchange for Wilkerson. The difference, according to the traditional value chart, between the fourth and 20th picks is 950 points, the value of the 17th pick in the draft.

No player drafted 4th overall will be able to provide the immediate impact Wilkerson would have for the Cowboys next season. Wilkerson would solve the pass rush woes, and give defensive coordinatorRod Marinelli a new toy to move around the line, making things easier for everyone else on the defense.

At 26, Wilkerson would fit right into the core of a revamped defensive line featuring younger players such as Tyrone Crawford (26), DeMarcus Lawrence (23), Cedric Thornton (27) and Randy Gregory (23).

Also, 20th overall puts the Cowboys in exactly the range of where Paxton Lynch is expected to be picked, and would also afford the Cowboys an extra year of Lynch’s rookie deal since he’d be drafted in the 1st round.

From the Jets’ perspective, vaulting from 20th to 4th overall allows them to fill the gaping hole at QB on their roster with either Carson Wentz or Jarred Goff, hopefully finding their long-term answer at QB.

While trades rarely occur in the NFL, there is some precedence for a trade similar to this from just a few weeks ago. On March 15th, the New England Patriots traded DE Chandler Jones to the Arizona Cardinals for guard Jonathan Cooper and a 2016 2nd round pick. We can use Chandler Jones as a measuring stick for a hypothetical Wilkerson trade-both players are 26 years old, and accumulated 12.5 sacks in 2015.

Like Wilkerson, Jones is also playing out the last year of his deal. While Chandler Jones is a very good player, all he brought back was the 61st overall pick worth 292 points, and an underperforming and oft-injured guard the Patriots coveted from the 2013 draft. I would say Wilkerson is the better player between him and Jones, and of more value to the Cowboys, but the swap of firsts for Wilkerson is more than justified based off of the trade value chart alone.

However, if the thought of grabbing their highest-rated QB isn’t tempting enough for the Jets, maybe the Cowboys could also include a Day Three pick, or even to further emulate the Pats-Cardinals swap, and include a guard.

Ron Leary might be able to improve a Jets offensive line that was 26th in the league at run blocking DVOA (alternatively, they ranked 3rd in pass blocking DVOA, giving up only a 4.1% Adjusted Sack Rate).

It’s difficult to assess Wilkerson’s value given his contract status.  Dallas would need to sign Wilkerson to a long-term extension to ensure their new prized pass rusher stays in town. What an extension would look like remains to be seen, given the monster deals signed by pass rushers this offseason like Olivier Vernon.

The Cowboys are in a position they rarely find themselves in. At the near very top of the draft, they should keep every option to possibly improve their team open. A trade down for a very good, impact pass rusher that still lets them select their possible QB of the future could be as close as they get to having it all.

Take this in a NY minute, then trade #4 and 2017 1st for this years #1 and Wentz.  QB finally solved. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike135 said:

Would this be a draft-day trade or done beforehand?  

Would think the Jets might wait to pull the trigger until they knew whoever they wanted fell to #4.

that's the rub.  i think this would have to be done draft day, and the cowboys would have to understand that.  it would be a win for both teams.  then the jets could let fitz go elsewhere and address the OT and olb spots and all of a sudden you have a completely new outlook on the franchise.

tanny make it happen!

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Would think the Jets might wait to pull the trigger until they knew whoever they wanted fell to #4.

I would think draft day move...beforehand you risk a team that really wants a QB trading in front of Dallas with Tennessee and San Diego(assuming Cleveland is taking the QB they like). If Dallas is on the clock and Goff/Wentz are still there I can see Mac pulling the trigger then. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that's the rub.  i think this would have to be done draft day, and the cowboys would have to understand that.  it would be a win for both teams.  then the jets could let fitz go elsewhere and address the OT and olb spots and all of a sudden you have a completely new outlook on the franchise.

tanny make it happen!

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I would think draft day move...beforehand you risk a team that really wants a QB trading in front of Dallas with Tennessee and San Diego(assuming Cleveland is taking the QB they like). If Dallas is on the clock and Goff/Wentz are still there I can see Mac pulling the trigger then. 

Ugh, another month of speculation.  Pay Fitz, roll w/Geno, sign some other team's loser, or actually draft a good prospect...  I've gotta somehow block out football for the next few weeks.  (Not likely.)

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

You could do it beforehand. If we have #4 before draft day, gives us the real ammo to talk to Tennessee to move up to #1.

2 minutes ago, rillo said:

Really not excited about any of these QBs being mentioned. 

Well I don't follow college ball, so I'm relying on the board here.  Supposedly there are two good options right?

If not, we could at least get a top olineman.  Regardless, better than keeping Mo the 20th and the cap hit, or just dropping Mo.  May as well get something for him.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

This ain't happening.

Probably not. But then, Jerry has thrown a lot of $ at LOT worse long-term players than Mo. Plus - if Romo could stay upright they are far more "win now" than we are just because of the QB position alone. 

Sure they would have to eat a lot of $ for Mo, but it would allow them to take a shot on a Paxton Lynch (if they like him) and give him a couple of no-pressure years to hold a clipboard. They'd get an instant starter for right now (a damn good one in Mo) for their win-now team, and they'd also get a 1st round QB prospect for the future.

Sounds great in theory and I'm all for it, but I don't see any of the top 3 QB's as locks to step in from day 1 and take the starting job.  Maybe it gives some leverage with Fitz or McCown, Hoyer, etc... but I'd still want to bring in a veteran guy as an insurance and then let Geno and Petty battle it out for #3 (if there even close you obviously cut Geno who should be light years ahead of Petty at this point).

2 minutes ago, faba said:

This just seems too convenient fro it to happen for the jets so not buying it as fact

Oh its not fact.  Just something from a Dallas reporter.

The idea is to do this then trade for #1.  Its much easier with #4 then #20

It makes way too much sense for all three teams for this to happen.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This ain't happening.

It's interesting how some fans said Cro was overpaid as was Harris,Revis,Skrine etc Yet with 50 million he couldn't sign Mo?? Mo isn't looking for a Watt sized contract like Sperm has said he wants more.. He hasn't signed his tender and it's a good bet come camp he won't be there, either he'll be gone via trade or hold out but I wouldn't count your first round picks just yet.. If Mac gets a top 5 pick for Mo he should get the top GM of the century award..:)

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

It's interesting how some fans said Cro was overpaid as was Harris,Revis,Skrine etc Yet with 50 million he couldn't sign Mo?? Mo isn't looking for a Watt sized contract like Sperm has said he wants more.. He hasn't signed his tender and it's a good bet come camp he won't be there, either he'll be gone via trade or hold out but I wouldn't count your first round picks just yet.. If Mac gets a top 5 pick for Mo he should get the top GM of the century award..:)

Keep in mind, this is Mo and the #20 pick for a top 5.

I don't think Mac could get a top 5 for Mo even though Mo is worth it. But one guy who should have gotten something other than being fired for a great trade was Idzik and the compensation he received for Revis. A deal like that wasn't easy to pull off esp for an injured player. And then he drafted Sheldon arguably the best player in that draft. 

In order for this deal to happen I would think that Dallas and Wilkerson would need to agree in broad strokes to the terms of a new deal in advance.  If the Jets grant Wilkerson the right to talk to the Cowboys I wonder if that information would be made available to the public?

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

Keep in mind, this is Mo and the #20 pick for a top 5.

The Pats got a 2nd rd pick and a bust player and Jones had the same amount of sacks playing 1 less year then Mo plus Jones didn't play with Snacks,Sheldon and Williams beside him..

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

In order for this deal to happen I would think that Dallas and Wilkerson would need to agree in broad strokes to the terms of a new deal in advance.  If the Jets grant Wilkerson the right to talk to the Cowboys I wonder if that information would be made available to the public?

He's a FA is he not?? Why couldn't his agent talk to other teams??

59 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Personally, I'd do it right now.

Worst case: Wentz and Goff get drafted in the first 3 picks, and we have to "settle" for Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey or Joey Bosa. LOL

Best case: We get our QB.

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I never said I didn't want it to happen, if we could make that swap I'd fly to NY and drive Mo to the airport.  Dallas is not making that deal.

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Wilkerson can talk to anyone he wants. He is not a member of the NY Jets right now. He's just tagged, which means we get compensation if he signs elsewhere (and if we decide not to match that offer). Nothing more. Mo is technically a free agent right now, not a NY Jet.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wilkerson can talk to anyone he wants. He is not a member of the NY Jets right now. He's just tagged, which means we get compensation if he signs elsewhere (and if we decide not to match that offer). Nothing more. Mo is technically a free agent right now, not a NY Jet.

My mistake.  Got it.  So no reason for anyone to spill the beans about any talks taking place.

Plus Curtis Martin style poisoned pill contracts are no longer permitted.

Archived