Cowboys trade?

Joe Jets fan

The best player in this draft is a speedy linebacker. Bowles has said that upgrading the LB unit, and adding speed are two of his biggest off season priorities. 

I think Myles Jack is the top player in this draft, and he is likely going to Cleveland at #2. But if he slides, he's our target. Not Wentz/Goff. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The problem with this deal for the Cowboys is having to pay Wilk and give him a huge contract. Vs selecting at overall 4 and only having to pay out on a rookie deal. Some teams are willing to go in that direction and pay out on this kind of a deal. Others go in a different direction. 

Rookie deal at #4 is not that cheap.    In 2015 it was $20,018,104 over four years.   Lets say its $6 mil a year this year.  So its only 9 mil more a year for a proven top player.

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The best player in this draft is a speedy linebacker. Bowles has said that upgrading the LB unit, and adding speed are two of his biggest off season priorities. 

I think Myles Jack is the top player in this draft, and he is likely going to Cleveland at #2. But if he slides, he's our target. Not Wentz/Goff. 

There is zero chance the Jets take a LB over a franchise QB  Zero

Sign me up for this, provided the Jets grab a QB with the pick.

What happens if the Jets do this deal and Goff and Wentz are gone at #4?

Can't see the Cowboys waiting until draft day to agree to this deal, with Mo's contract demands I'm sure they would want to have this wrapped up prior to the draft.

10 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can't see the Cowboys waiting until draft day to agree to this deal, with Mo's contract demands I'm sure they would want to have this wrapped up prior to the draft.

Well you would need a partner to deal with and we ain't got one yet..:(

3 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Sounds great in theory and I'm all for it, but I don't see any of the top 3 QB's as locks to step in from day 1 and take the starting job.  Maybe it gives some leverage with Fitz or McCown, Hoyer, etc... but I'd still want to bring in a veteran guy as an insurance and then let Geno and Petty battle it out for #3 (if there even close you obviously cut Geno who should be light years ahead of Petty at this point).

In this scenario Geno is the hold the fort Vet

Who would draft both? Tennesse got mariota , browns-maybe wentZ, san diego i higjky doubt. Then we would be at 4 for one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see the Chargers taking one of those QB's.

Sit behind Rivers for 2-3 years and then they have another starting QB for the next 10+ years.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Sit behind Rivers for 2-3 years and then they have another starting QB for the next 10+ years.

No way.  Teams just don't do this any more.  If you're drafting a QB in the top 5, he's playing right away.

17 minutes ago, jetsfan719 said:

Who would draft both? Tennesse got mariota , browns-maybe wentZ, san diego i higjky doubt. Then we would be at 4 for one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never rule out a team trading up

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

His drafts weren't that bad. In 2014 he had extra comp picks that were higher round selections (and couldn't be traded) and didn't make good selections. Although some of his DB choices have been injured and the jury's not out on them yet. They are in fact still on the roster. And Calvin Pryor is a good player who had a poor rookie season. At wide receiver he was ripped for not selecting guys like Jordan Matthews but he did draft a good receiver in Quincy in the 6th round. At the time of the drafts he was given C+s and B-s by experts. He didn't do a good job I agree and Mac is probably a better GM than he would have ever been. He was definitely over his head in the NYC market. But I felt he should have gotten at least 3 seasons. And his first year the team was 8-8. 

So he drafted I think 6 WR and one of them is on the team...terrible strategic planning and terrible draft. He thought the draft was so deep in WR that he could wait and draft a bunch...He drew all lemons on the slot machine

31 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

If they really, covet Mo, they'll wait until whenever the Jets are ready to pull the trigger.  If not, for the Jets to make the deal, I think they  would have to have a pretty good idea that either one of the two QB's will be available OR that they can trade up a slot or 2 if absolutely necessary. For what it's worth, I don't think any of these scenarios will take place.

If they really, covet Mo, they'll wait until whenever the Jets are ready to pull the trigger.  If not, for the Jets to make the deal, I think they  would have to have a pretty good idea that either one of the two QB's will be available OR that they can trade up a slot or 2 if absolutely necessary. For what it's worth, I don't think any of these scenarios will take place.

The way to make this work is for the Jets to give the Cowboys permission to negotiate with Mo to see if a long-term contract can be reached.

If so, then the Jets make the deal contingent on one of the QB's are available on draft day.

Both sides would the get what they want.

10 minutes ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

So he drafted I think 6 WR and one of them is on the team...terrible strategic planning and terrible draft. He thought the draft was so deep in WR that he could wait and draft a bunch...He drew all lemons on the slot machine

His problem to me in that draft was not trading a few of those picks into 2015. The tradable picks not the comp ones. There is no way that many players were going to make the team. I don't think it's that unusual to swing and miss on a few position players in higher rounds. He missed on Jslrn Saunders who could still have an NFL career and was a 4th round pick. But Q was a great pick at 6. And the criticism was over Wrs but the emphasis in that draft was on the secondary a big need. And he drafted Pryor a really good player. 

20 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You mean like Cassal!  ..... ummm......Hoyer!......I mean Mallett!......errr......Garoppolo!

11 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

The way to make this work is for the Jets to give the Cowboys permission to negotiate with Mo to see if a long-term contract can be reached.

If so, then the Jets make the deal contingent on one of the QB's are available on draft day.

Both sides would the get what they want.

His franchise tag is not exclusive they could be doing that with any team that's interested..

1 hour ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

In this scenario Geno is the hold the fort Vet

That's a very risky move.  In the long run it doesn't really matter because if we trade Mo Wilk to move down the #4 pick in the draft it better be a franchise QB my only point is, these guys aren't Andrew Luck and shouldn't be expected to start Day 1.  If we've learned anything from the past it's don't throw a rookie QB in there before he's ready.  The league has certainly changed but these guys still need to be properly developed.  It's all a hypothetical anyway at this point.

Of course they would hell a 2nd rd pick would have them happy at this point..

Of course they would be happy.

The #4 overall pick, a future 2nd round pick and freeing up $15.7MM in cap space??????

Jets would probably draft a DLineman or CB anyway with the #4 overall pick.

6 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/01/jets-fuel-mapping-out-a-cowboys-draft-day-trade-for-muhammad-wilkerson/

By: Zeke Barrera   

Can’t please everybody.  Even harder?  To know what the Cowboys will do with the 4th overall pick on April 28th. After much speculation and table pounding, we’re no closer to finding out who the Cowboys likely to take now than we were when the 2015 season mercifully ended. The Cowboys have needs on the defensive side of the ball, and a solution may be staring them right in the face; trade for the Jets’ Muhammad Wilkerson.

To acquire him, the Cowboys would have to give up the number four pick in the NFL Draft; but they could get plenty back in return.

Wilkerson is a 26 year old defensive lineman who was selected out of Temple by the New York Jets in the first round of the 2011 draft. With the Jets he’s a 3-4 defensive end but in Dallas’ 40-front he’d slide inside to defensive tackle.

He has 36.5 career sacks, 12 of which came during a very productive 2015 season, which was the last year of his contract. He was franchise tagged this offseason, and is currently recovering from a broken leg he suffered in Week 17.  Nonetheless, he’s been an integral part of the New York Jet’s roster, and a true force along their defensive line. As such, it’s puzzling why the Jets are shopping him.

New York did draft DE Leonard Williams 6th overall in 2015, and already have a terrifying front seven, so perhaps they are reluctant to hand out the long-term deal that Wilkerson deserves given their more pressing needs.

There’s one team with a world-class pass rusher they might not really want, and another with a dire need for a pass rush combined with a roster and appetite to win now. The “another team” holds the 4th overall pick in the 2016 draft, and might not know who they want to spend it on.

Why not swap 2016 1st round picks with the Jets for Muhammad Wilkerson?

Going from fourth overall to 20th seems a steep drop, but makes sense for a variety of reasons. For starters, the math. It’s widely reported the Jets want a first-rounder in exchange for Wilkerson. The difference, according to the traditional value chart, between the fourth and 20th picks is 950 points, the value of the 17th pick in the draft.

No player drafted 4th overall will be able to provide the immediate impact Wilkerson would have for the Cowboys next season. Wilkerson would solve the pass rush woes, and give defensive coordinatorRod Marinelli a new toy to move around the line, making things easier for everyone else on the defense.

At 26, Wilkerson would fit right into the core of a revamped defensive line featuring younger players such as Tyrone Crawford (26), DeMarcus Lawrence (23), Cedric Thornton (27) and Randy Gregory (23).

Also, 20th overall puts the Cowboys in exactly the range of where Paxton Lynch is expected to be picked, and would also afford the Cowboys an extra year of Lynch’s rookie deal since he’d be drafted in the 1st round.

From the Jets’ perspective, vaulting from 20th to 4th overall allows them to fill the gaping hole at QB on their roster with either Carson Wentz or Jarred Goff, hopefully finding their long-term answer at QB.

While trades rarely occur in the NFL, there is some precedence for a trade similar to this from just a few weeks ago. On March 15th, the New England Patriots traded DE Chandler Jones to the Arizona Cardinals for guard Jonathan Cooper and a 2016 2nd round pick. We can use Chandler Jones as a measuring stick for a hypothetical Wilkerson trade-both players are 26 years old, and accumulated 12.5 sacks in 2015.

Like Wilkerson, Jones is also playing out the last year of his deal. While Chandler Jones is a very good player, all he brought back was the 61st overall pick worth 292 points, and an underperforming and oft-injured guard the Patriots coveted from the 2013 draft. I would say Wilkerson is the better player between him and Jones, and of more value to the Cowboys, but the swap of firsts for Wilkerson is more than justified based off of the trade value chart alone.

However, if the thought of grabbing their highest-rated QB isn’t tempting enough for the Jets, maybe the Cowboys could also include a Day Three pick, or even to further emulate the Pats-Cardinals swap, and include a guard.

Ron Leary might be able to improve a Jets offensive line that was 26th in the league at run blocking DVOA (alternatively, they ranked 3rd in pass blocking DVOA, giving up only a 4.1% Adjusted Sack Rate).

It’s difficult to assess Wilkerson’s value given his contract status.  Dallas would need to sign Wilkerson to a long-term extension to ensure their new prized pass rusher stays in town. What an extension would look like remains to be seen, given the monster deals signed by pass rushers this offseason like Olivier Vernon.

The Cowboys are in a position they rarely find themselves in. At the near very top of the draft, they should keep every option to possibly improve their team open. A trade down for a very good, impact pass rusher that still lets them select their possible QB of the future could be as close as they get to having it all.

Take this in a NY minute, then trade #4 and 2017 1st for this years #1 and Wentz.  QB finally solved. 

It's tempting for the number 4 pick, but Jets seems to specialize in wasting first round picks

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

His drafts weren't that bad. In 2014 he had extra comp picks that were higher round selections (and couldn't be traded) and didn't make good selections. Although some of his DB choices have been injured and the jury's not out on them yet. They are in fact still on the roster. And Calvin Pryor is a good player who had a poor rookie season. At wide receiver he was ripped for not selecting guys like Jordan Matthews but he did draft a good receiver in Quincy in the 6th round. At the time of the drafts he was given C+s and B-s by experts. He didn't do a good job I agree and Mac is probably a better GM than he would have ever been. He was definitely over his head in the NYC market. But I felt he should have gotten at least 3 seasons. And his first year the team was 8-8. 

The biggest problem was saddling him with Rex and not picking a new HC.  They were obviously at odds as Rex was coaching in win now mode to keep his job and Mac was focused getting us under the cap and building for the future.  That said, if Amaro emerges this year and Macdougle can become a decent player his draft won't look so bad in years to come.   If he hadn't totally screwed up in the 4th round things would not look quite so bad.  Shaq Evans and Jalen Saunders?  Really? 

48 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Of course they would be happy.

The #4 overall pick, a future 2nd round pick and freeing up $15.7MM in cap space??????

Jets would probably draft a DLineman or CB anyway with the #4 overall pick.

You just can't help yourself can you? 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Wentz and Goff will probably be gone by the 4th pick so it is moot speculation, IMHO.  Even with RG3 Cleveland could take a QB and I can see Jacksonville moving up to 3 to take one as well.  

You lost me at the Jags trading up for a QB 

23 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

The biggest problem was saddling him with Rex and not picking a new HC.  They were obviously at odds as Rex was coaching in win now mode to keep his job and Mac was focused getting us under the cap and building for the future.  That said, if Amaro emerges this year and Macdougle can become a decent player his draft won't look so bad in years to come.   If he hadn't totally screwed up in the 4th round things would not look quite so bad.  Shaq Evans and Jalen Saunders?  Really? 

Well they said the same thing when he selected Quincy and he looks like he's going to be a good player. It doesn't matter where you pick them 4th or 6th round or UFA (and some of the players he signed are pretty good) it's how you fill out the roster. As for Saunders I still don't understand why they cut him but it seems internal. He's bounced around since then but he has speed and could end up having a career. The last time I checked almost all of those 2014 picks were still on an NFL roster and some of the guys he cut that year were on active rosters. It kind of takes some guts to cut players you just drafted. 

3 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

There is zero chance the Jets take a LB over a franchise QB  Zero

You're assuming, like all the talking heads, that Wentz and Goff are the only franchise QBs in this draft.  But how long have they been considered blue-chip prospects? Are they really rated that high, or has their value been hyper-inflated because of their position? 

A patient team might see more value in drafting Cook or Cardele in mid-rounds, and getting TRUE once-in-a-generation talent at the top of the draft in Myles Jack. 

Archived