Paxton Lynch Pro Day assessment

ManCave Analyst

There's no doubt to me that you could ruin this kid if you forced him into starting too quickly. He's going to take time. But he's a very promising talent. He has a f*cking cannon for an arm. He made a lot of touch throws and looked good doing it. But he needs to be developed. I would say a minimum of one year getting his feet wet. He is a legitimate draft pick in the late 1st, early 2nd round.

He's probably gone by the time we pick and we are already sitting on an egg of a QB. This signal caller class is even worse than last year. My guess is Petty would have gone much higher in 2016. I would mind taking a chance on Jones in the late rounds though.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ManCave Analyst said:

Like many of you Jet Fans I am concerned about our Quarterback situation, so I watched his Pro day just now on the NFL network.  The analysts and I came away with the following:

1. He has worked on his footwork since the combine and has shown improvement  in his drops .

2.  In spite  of a windy day ( 25 mph with occasional 40 mph gust) he was fairly accurate .

3.  Quick release and strong arm and you can see that the ball flies out of his hand , effortless motion.

He could be still there when we pick 20th, should they make him our pick. Much more talented prospect than Geno and better than the weak armed Ryan Fitz. I would love to have him and Bryce for the next decade.  Wondering if anyone else watched this and wants to share an opinion.

I doubt he will be there at 20. I am not saying he is worth a top 15 pick by  but it appears he is drawing a lot of interest throughout the league.

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

He's probably gone by the time we pick and we are already sitting on an egg of a QB. This signal caller class is even worse than last year. My guess is Petty would have gone much higher in 2016. I would mind taking a chance on Jones in the late rounds though.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/4/7/11383354/jets-draft-rumors-team-sends-large-delegation-to-paxton-lynchs-pro-day

19 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Watched video of a couple of games and he did not impress me. Every pass was a quick read, quick pass. I rarely saw him go through progressions and finding his 2nd/3rd/4th option. Big red flag. 

He's no more of a prospect than the likes of Hackenburg. Could he be a franchise QB? Yes. Is he enough of a guarantee to take in 1st round? Don't think so. 

I wouldn't use a first round pick on him either I think he has the highest bust potential by far of any Qb being talked about as 1st round

19 hours ago, Colgateman said:

He's great under pressure.

Paxton is a great QB, he reminds me a lot of Big ben, Paxton may need to sit a year, but who knows? His footwork has already improved so who is to say he can't improve enough by the time week 1 rolls around to be the starter?

He's a great college player who will be crap in the NFL.

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

In many Mocks, all three of Wentz Goff AND Lynch are gone before #20.  In fact, this is the case in a majority of the majority of Mocks  I've looked at.  

I wouldn't trade up for him and I don't want Cook in the 2nd, so unless there is a trade up for Wentz or Goff, my guess is we'll be taking a QB later on like Hackenberg or Cardale (ugh), even Sudfeld later than them.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chargers and Cowboys rumored to be willing to move up to get Lynch.  Chances of him making it to # 20 seem slim.

Is there a player in the 1st round that isnt rumored to be on Dallas radar?

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Is there a player in the 1st round that isnt rumored to be on Dallas radar?

I guess it's inadvertently good strategy by Jerry Jones.  If you're interested in EVERYONE, its hard for others to tell what you're going to do on draft day.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I guess it's inadvertently good strategy by Jerry Jones.  If you're interested in EVERYONE, its hard for others to tell what you're going to do on draft day.

i think the cowboys are taking a qb and will cause a panic.  if SF gets shut out of the top 2 qbs they probably don't take a qb until the 2nd round at best, but that would put a premium on lynch.

42 minutes ago, Dcat said:

In many Mocks, all three of Wentz Goff AND Lynch are gone before #20.  In fact, this is the case in a majority of the majority of Mocks  I've looked at.  

I wouldn't trade up for him and I don't want Cook in the 2nd, so unless there is a trade up for Wentz or Goff, my guess is we'll be taking a QB later on like Hackenberg or Cardale (ugh), even Sudfeld later than them.

I'd far rather have cardale or hackenburg than sudfeld and I don;t even like the 1st two QB's at all.  (Sudfeld stinks)

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think the cowboys are taking a qb and will cause a panic.  if SF gets shut out of the top 2 qbs they probably don't take a qb until the 2nd round at best, but that would put a premium on lynch.

I think they're going RB, think Jerry wants to recreate the big 3 approach and will have a hard time resisting Elliott.

I'll say it again - If the Jets think ANY of the QB's in this draft can be their franchise QB, they have to do everything in their power to get him, including trading up in the draft.  Standing pat and "hoping" that your franchise QB will fall into your lap is a losing strategy and leads to an endless parade of veteran nomad placeholders like Fitzpatrick, McCown, Hoyer, etc....  When does the stiff parade end?   

It's been an interesting 3-4 months tracking Lynch. His stock has been everywhere from #2 overall to CLE, to fringe first Rnd... Safe to say actual teams will have pretty subjective grades... Which means at least a couple out there have him in the top 10-15 range.

I'm obviously sold. Others aren't - and that's fine. But it's hard to stomach baseless criticism. There's a fraction of the posters here who know what they're talking about...

The dumbest doubt IMO, is the "he'll bust" argument. What is that based on? Mechanics? Cause that's the coachable part. Before anyone runs their mouth about that, look at his numbers through college. CONSTANT IMPROVEMENT... He's a consummate student of the game. He made IMMENSE strides annually... And has already shown improvement from combine to his proday...

Why doubt him? You're betting against a guy learning who has done nothing but learn.

Fck that. I want him in green and white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's been an interesting 3-4 months tracking Lynch. His stock has been everywhere from #2 overall to CLE, to fringe first Rnd... Safe to say actual teams will have pretty subjective grades... Which means at least a couple out there have him in the top 10-15 range.

I'm obviously sold. Others aren't - and that's fine. But it's hard to stomach baseless criticism. There's a fraction of the posters here who know what they're talking about...

The dumbest doubt IMO, is the "he'll bust" argument. What is that based on? Mechanics? Cause that's the coachable part. Before anyone runs their mouth about that, look at his numbers through college. CONSTANT IMPROVEMENT... He's a consummate student of the game. He made IMMENSE strides annually... And has already shown improvement from combine to his proday...

Why doubt him? You're betting against a guy learning who has done nothing but learn.

Fck that. I want him in green and white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a draftnik... that said, the mock-drafts putting Lynch in Denver at #31 overall just exemplify that fact that any nincompoop in the media can make a first round mock. They go through and put players on teams that even casual fans know of the needs for. Basically matching players to narratives, and not being realistic in any capacity about scouting/drafting.

These are usually the same morons that explain half of their guesses with "_____ just lost ____ to free agency, so they'll replace him with ______".

11 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'll say it again - If the Jets think ANY of the QB's in this draft can be their franchise QB, they have to do everything in their power to get him, including trading up in the draft.  Standing pat and "hoping" that your franchise QB will fall into your lap is a losing strategy and leads to an endless parade of veteran nomad placeholders like Fitzpatrick, McCown, Hoyer, etc....  When does the stiff parade end?   

^This

I'm not a draftnik... that said, the mock-drafts putting Lynch in Denver at #31 overall just exemplify that fact that any nincompoop in the media can make a first round mock. They go through and put players on teams that even casual fans know of the needs for. Basically matching players to narratives, and not being realistic in any capacity about scouting/drafting.

These are usually the same morons that explain half of their guesses with "_____ just lost ____ to free agency, so they'll replace him with ______".

100 % true.

Too many mocks feel like they weren't even done in order. Players were slotted into teams that fit the narrative as you said. How often does that happen? Like barely at all come draft day... Case in point; jets selecting Williams last year.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Admittedly, that's how most fan-driven mocks and also pundit mocks operate.  It's fun, but not accurate.  We are not scouts so most mocks will be governed by a need-based philosophy far more than BPA.  I'd imagine that most real NFL GMs don't do that in the early rounds, they adhere to BPA. 

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. There was no competition. Even Fitzpatrick said himself that he was here to back up Geno. Camp reports are fine, but that doesn't mean there was an actual competition. The 2015 Jets did not hold any competitions for starting positions.

2. Fitz did not have a great season. Fitz had a great season for Fitz. 

3. The QB position would be addressed by now if it was easily addressable. They've talked to Fitz, they brought in RG3, they have had talks about Glennon, and it sure looks like they're interested in taking a QB. All that doesn't happen if they're comfortable enough with Geno. The best I think one could confidently say is that he is higher on the depth chart than Petty right now.

Whether or not there was a legitimate competition, I really don;t know how you can downplay Fitz's season. He had a great season for any QB, not 'for FItz'. 'for Fitz' he had the best season he has EVER had. HE was 10th in the league in TDs (tied with Aaron Rodgers), 15th in the league in yards (ahead of Cam Newton), he threw 15INTs, which is not great but really not awful. Dude. He had a great season. And the QB position was very much easily addressable, all the Jets needed to do was up their offer to Fitz if they really wanted to bring him back, I'm talking early on in the offseason before they signed a bunch of other players, filling in holes but also taking up most of their cap. 

If they made re-signing Fitz top priority, he would be signed. Period. They would have come to a middle ground at some point. Obviously, they don't believe Fitz is worth more than what they have offered him (although now they are asking D'Brick to take a pay cut so they can up the offer) AND/OR they have faith in Geno to start AND/OR they feel they can get a vet of equal value in FA or via trade. BUT- given that they have yet to sign or trade for a vet, tells me that they have a certain comfort level with Geno starting. Furthermore, there are ZERO QBs in this draft (in my opinion) that can come in and start. So that pretty much eliminates the notion than the Jets plan to draft a QB and have him start over Geno. If they draft someone it will be a developmental prospect who will have to sit in '16.

I'm just going by what I see happening. Not my opinion on whether Geno is a capable starter or if Fitz is not as good as he looked last season or whatever. 

Its very possible that the Jets draft a QB (Lynch?) and end up re-signing Fitz by upping their offer, then CUTTING Geno. Recent events suggest that this may be the direction they want to go. But as of right now, its looking like Geno is their plan B if they can't get Fitz at THEIR price- which suggests to me they are comfortable with Geno starting.     

I don't agree with this narrative that whoever the Jets pick in the first round has to be a day one starter. Look at last year for example. But for Richardson's suspension, Williams would probably not have started on day one. Beyond that, it used to be the norm that first round quarterbacks would sit and learn for a season or two. 

14 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Co-sign, although I am not so sure the front office is looking at it this way.  The only teams that should forego a 1st round pick, who looks like he belongs on day-1, to take non-slam dunk QB are those in full re-build mode and teams who are stacked, including the QB position, and can afford to groom a 1st round QB to be the next man up at the position.

The most encouraging thing I've read all offseason was a comment from some NFL executive saying he's never seen a GM do so much scouting himself in person. The guy was flying all over the country all season to get a firsthand look at these prospects... If Mac believes in a QB enough to take him in the first round I'm on board with it

32 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don't agree with this narrative that whoever the Jets pick in the first round has to be a day one starter. Look at last year for example. But for Richardson's suspension, Williams would probably not have started on day one. Beyond that, it used to be the norm that first round quarterbacks would sit and learn for a season or two. 

Unfortunately the days of developing players, particularly QB's is over, for the most part.    I think first rounders should be day one starters, especially players picked at the top of the draft.  This is a win now business which puts a lot of pressure on teams not to swing and miss on their first round picks.  Not only can't they swing and miss, they need their high draft picks to have an immediate impact. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Unfortunately the days of developing players, particularly QB's is over, for the most part.    I think first rounders should be day one starters, especially players picked at the top of the draft.  This is a win now business which puts a lot of pressure on teams not to swing and miss on their first round picks.  Not only can't they swing and miss, they need their high draft picks to have an immediate impact. 

I actually think the tide has turned in that regard and it is moving in the other direction.  The financial changes to top picks now mean a team does not have to start a guy right away.  A good many of the QBs the last few years that have stared early it was not intended that they would start that early injuries and such have forced it.

I think the Jets for instance if they pick a QB at 20 will still go with Fitzpatrick, as long as he doesn't get hurt he will be the Qb this coming year and perish to start next year all depending on results and I'd be totally fine with that. 

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it is a good idea to draft him, unless he becomes a bust.

You and your silly fanduel way of thinking - only draft him if he's going to become a good QB.  Screw that - this isn't fantasy football.  I only want to draft him if he's going to win a ring with us.  

For a team that needs a QB but also has other significant needs (in other words, even though the Jets pick at 20, that does not necessarily make them the 12th best team in the NFL for 2016), the 20th pick is a tough one.  At 20 the QB is likely developmental.  There is a big drop off from 1st round comp, so teams picking ahead of us will not hesitate to pick QBs that have potential-if Lynch makes it past 20, he will NOT be there at 52.   Thus, if the Jets believe he can be the answer, they have to take him at 20.  Cook and even Hackenburg may not be there at 52.   

The bummer here is that if the Jets gamble on a Lynch at 20 and he does not work out as hoped, they will likely pass on another player that is a successful starter.

All this is for me for trading Mo and the 1st for moving up in the 1st Round.  That would normally require other picks, such as a future 1st or a 2nd or 3rd.  If Mo walks all we get is a 3rd or 4th at the bottom of the round.   If the Jets do not sign Mo to a long-term contract, they are owned nothing if he picks up and leaves.11

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think the Jets for instance if they pick a QB at 20 will still go with Fitzpatrick, as long as he doesn't get hurt he will be the Qb this coming year and perish to start next year all depending on results and I'd be totally fine with that. 

I'm fine with this too, but I think the general sentiment would be to start him right away.  And if the Jets didn't start him, most fans would be screaming for the rookie QB to start after even the smallest of hiccups by Fitzpatrick. 

Archived