Jump to content

Jets ask DBrick to take pay cut


BklynJetsFan85
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Those rankings are meaningless and good internet fodder at best. Fitz had the best season a Jets QB has had in decades. 2 thousand yard WR's and a thousand yard RB. The OL had to do something right. In particular the LT. I think the Jets have to be very reasonable here. I am sure that Brick knows the value he has to the team and to the NY Jets organization. 

A 10 year day 1 starter. Not his fault they the organization wasted his talents and have no SB to show for it.

The only thing that saved Brick from being the worst offensive lineman on the Jets was that Breno was even worse. Both positions need an upgrade. Fitzpatrick ran for nearly 300 yards last year, and most of that was not on designed run Fitz plays. They were making it up as you try to not get whacked by the guys the tackles whiffed on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

A 10 year day 1 starter. Not his fault they the organization wasted his talents and have no SB to show for it.

Look how Houston has wasted Watt's talent...or Indy has wasted Luck's talent... or any team with an above average player that has never won the Super Bowl has wasted that above-average player's talent.  It's an epidemic.....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Brick has no leverage? Cut him and see those edge rushers feast on a ? At LT.  Please name the starter. Qvale is to play RT if he starts. This could be real ugly. Cutting Brick means to have to pray on Sundays. 

 

Brick will make more on the Jets WITH a pay cut then he will on any other team in 2016.  He knows this and will take what the Jets offer him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nyjets782 said:

Look how Houston has wasted Watt's talent...or Indy has wasted Luck's talent... or any team with an above average player that has never won the Super Bowl has wasted that above-average player's talent.  It's an epidemic.....

That is ridiculous to state here. This is a NY Jets website for fans of the NY Jets. I could care less about Indy or Hou. Take your comments like this to the NFL sites and please refrain from quoting me with such out of context drivel. Clearly it is posters like yourself who make the site unbearable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Much like all the Fitz discussion it's really tough to form a good opinion on this one without knowing how much they are asking him to give up.

I'll maintain one thing through all of this, finding a decent to good LT is not an easy thing to find.  Some teams have to invest a LOT over the years to try and find one and when I say a lot i mean multiple high picks, highly priced fa and such, just to fix that one position.  I'll be surprised if DBrick is not back for this year at least.  It is almost a given that if he stays this year he will be let go next however imo unless he gives up enough on his contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

That is ridiculous to state here. This is a NY Jets website for fans of the NY Jets. I could care less about Indy or Hou. Take your comments like this to the NFL sites and please refrain from quoting me with such out of context drivel. Clearly it is posters like yourself who make the site unbearable.

Wow, that's a lot of anger and a lot of absurd declarations all wrapped up into 2 poorly written lines.  Thanks for letting me know what team is the topic of this site, because until you pointed it out, I was totally unaware.  You look rather foolish now....even more foolish than when you claimed that the Jets wasted Brick's talents.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

James Carpenter had a career year.  Mangold did fine.  Brick did not, and in no way can justify the money we're paying him.  Sperm explained very clearly why those numbers are not "meaningless". 

We'll never know what would have happened if he was able to hold his block with the season on the line (Fitz's 2nd pick vs Buffalo). His one strong suit is supposed to be pass blocking, but when we require the time to allow a deep pass play to develop, we see the results. 

Who needs him to just hold a block for only 1 second on a quick 3 step drop & pass? Freaking Adrien Clarke could do that. OK maybe not Clarke, lol, but you get the idea.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

Wow, that's a lot of anger and a lot of absurd declarations all wrapped up into 2 poorly written lines.  Thanks for letting me know what team is the topic of this site, because until you pointed it out, I was totally unaware.  You look rather foolish now....even more foolish than when you claimed that the Jets wasted Brick's talents.  

I am a Marine and that is nowhere close to a lot of anger...lol 10 years and no SB, yet I look foolish. OK

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

 

Brick will make more on the Jets WITH a pay cut then he will on any other team in 2016.  He knows this and will take what the Jets offer him. 

My guess, Mac doesn't have the balls to cut him, and Brick knows that, giving him the leverage to not take a pay cut.  I hope I am wrong, and if so, it should have been done weeks ago so they could have bettered the team in free agency.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Denver just signed Okung, a better & younger player

he's always hurt. That's not better

 

as for Brick, I like that the team framed this paycut with fitz resign. It does actually give them leverage. It's like saying "sure, you can keep your money and play for a loser, win 4 games under Geno and be miserable, or give some up and win some games, maybe even make the playoffs."

It actually might work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

I am a Marine and that is nowhere close to a lot of anger...lol 10 years and no SB, yet I look foolish. OK

Yup, and thanks for your service.  It's actually been about 5 times that amount of time and no SB.  However, it is simplistic and silly to argue that all players who never won a SB had their talents wasted.  That is what precipitated a lot of the feedback you have received since posting that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nyjets782 said:

Yup, and thanks for your service.  It's actually been about 5 times that amount of time and no SB.  However, it is simplistic and silly to argue that all players who never won a SB had their talents wasted.  That is what precipitated a lot of the feedback you have received since posting that.

My argument is clearly about the NY Jets and Brick. That is what the topic is. The feedback comes from those who desire to steer the conversation elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a fugged up situation....

what is a realistic number that he would get from another team? Add 500k as good faith and thats what they should offer.

hes old. I doubt he wants to move at his age to play for the same money he could get if he stays put. Unless the giants need him...hes got no leverage imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

he's always hurt. That's not better

 

as for Brick, I like that the team framed this paycut with fitz resign. It does actually give them leverage. It's like saying "sure, you can keep your money and play for a loser, win 4 games under Geno and be miserable, or give some up and win some games, maybe even make the playoffs."

It actually might work. 

A sometimes injured Brick who is off the field sometimes > a never-injured Brick. Or looked at another way, Okung x 13 games >>>> Brick x 16 games. Just like I'd rather have Decker for 13 games than David Nelson for 16 games.

I don't consider Brick to have much of any leverage anyway, since the team would be hard-pressed to find worse than his 2015 play. It's arguable he wouldn't get $4M for the upcoming season if he was cut now. This "asking" him for a pay cut is really telling him. 

Frankly the team is better off just cutting him outright. He's dead weight at this stage of his career. If we were contenders and our good starter was suddenly out for the season, then he'd be worth $4-5M on a 1 year deal. Maybe.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't consider Brick to have much of any leverage anyway, since the team would be hard-pressed to find worse than his 2015 play.  

Frankly the team is better off just cutting him outright. He's dead weight at this stage of his career. 

Sperm you are just wrong about his level of play. You're entire opinion is based on the fundamentally wrong belief that Brick is a worthless player.

You saw one stat from PFF (who can't grade OL worth a damn, they said Weston Richberg had a better 2015 than Nick mangold) and that translates to Brent Qvale would be a better LT.  Or literally, anyone. It's just not true. 

Dbrick would get a job in literally 5 minutes if released. He'd start for the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Chargers and a bunch of other teams, no problem. He'd have multiple suitors, instantly. 

Also you neglect the fact that every 1st round LT pick since 2012 has been an adventure/disaster.

Is he worth his current salary? No. Is he declining? Yes. But there's a huge gap between what you believe this player is worth and what he's actually worth.

And the proof is in the fact that he hasn't been released yet. Worthless players don't get negotiations. They get cut.  You believe he is dead weight but the Jets clearly do not. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

and one last thing Russell Okung doesn't play 13 games a year. Sometimes he plays 8. Sometimes he plays 14 or 15. Sometimes he plays 12 or 10. He's never made it through 16 games. Brick hasn't missed a snap for 10 years. Okung is 28 Brick is 32. He's not that much younger. Brick has made 3 Pro Bowls, Okung has made 0. Okung is not better than Brick. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellokung/497032/careerstats

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A sometimes injured Brick who is off the field sometimes > a never-injured Brick. Or looked at another way, Okung x 13 games >>>> Brick x 16 games. Just like I'd rather have Decker for 13 games than David Nelson for 16 games.

I don't consider Brick to have much of any leverage anyway, since the team would be hard-pressed to find worse than his 2015 play. It's arguable he wouldn't get $4M for the upcoming season if he was cut now. This "asking" him for a pay cut is really telling him. 

Frankly the team is better off just cutting him outright. He's dead weight at this stage of his career. If we were contenders and our good starter was suddenly out for the season, then he'd be worth $4-5M on a 1 year deal. Maybe.

Exactly my thinking. If he is cut, about the only type of team that would pay him is a strong SB contender with a sudden hole at tackle.  And then, it would be a 1 year contract.  Otherwise, nobody wants him for $$ or even $ unless they are between a rock and a hard place.  Forget about $$$$, which is where his current deal is at, under any circumstances.  Robin Harris, if he were still with us,  would say "gotta go, gotta go".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

My argument is clearly about the NY Jets and Brick. That is what the topic is. The feedback comes from those who desire to steer the conversation elsewhere.

It's the basis for your argument that is absurd.   You state quite simplistically that his talents were wasted because they did not win the Super Bowl.  That is YOUR standard it really isn't logical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

It's the basis for your argument that is absurd.   You state quite simplistically that his talents were wasted because they did not win the Super Bowl.  That is YOUR standard it really isn't logical.

Please inform me of just what should be the goal of this NFL franchise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's dead weight at this stage of his career. If we were contenders and our good starter was suddenly out for the season, then he'd be worth $4-5M on a 1 year deal. Maybe.

This would apply perfectly to Fitz.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

By Glenn Naughton

 

It took longer than many expected, but the Jets have reportedly gotten around to approaching long-time left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson in an attempt to re-work his bloated contract in an effort to make room for free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Due to count for over $14 million this season, Ferguson’s performance is no longer on a level that justifies such a high cap number and it’s believed the cut the Jets are asking Ferguson to take is “substantial”.

Having missed out on free agent left tackle Kelvin Beachum, who would have presumable replaced Ferguson, the Jets are left with few options at the position and will be forced to make every effort to retain Ferguson for the time being, but reducing his cap number is a must for the cash-strapped Jets who currently have roughly $500,000 in cap room.

 

 

 

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-9bT0wb0jLc

Click here to read the full story...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...