Jets ask DBrick to take pay cut

BklynJetsFan85

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

If signing fitz was the priority the jets would have signed him before they spent all their money in FA. If I'm brick I'm not taking a dime less to pay a journeyman QB's insane demands

If Brick takes that stance he will be waived. He isn't taking less money out of the kindness of his heart. He is going to take less money because the new amount will still be more than he can get elsewhere.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If Brick takes that stance he will be waived. He isn't taking less money out of the kindness of his heart. He is going to take less money because the new amount will still be more than he can get elsewhere.

I think that's $5M in dead money and for reference Donald penn just got $12M/2 years so what do you think the magic number would be? It doesn't seem like that much of a savings considering he could still call the jets bluff and make them start qvale. But if brick wants to take one for the team then I'd be seriously impressed, he is really a class act and a good guy so who knows. Btw did you read the 2015 post-mortem he wrote for ESPN? It was surprisingly well written-- I think he's got a nice post football career for himself as a writer 

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

How much has Dbrickshaw Ferguson made in his career with the Jets/NF l.

What's the chance he retires, and walks away from the game.   ( Yes the Jets would get 9 million in cap savings)   What effect would that have on the jets as they really don't have someone on the roster that can replace him.    The Jets aren't drafting in the top five, and to ask a rookie tackle to step in and start at a premier position, would be asking a lot from.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Just say NO Brick please save us from another season with Fitzpatrick

Not that I'm in love with fitz, and I hope the deal isn't more than 2 years, but OK, yeah, please save us from another year of the best qb play the Jets have ever seen... Sounds kind of silly. Like it or not he's our best option. I just hope it's not that expensive. 

Well he has two choices... take pay cut and win with the jets and make slightly more than he will make somewhere else. OR move to a new team, have to take his family with him, and he will end up getting paid less - makes no sense for him not to take the pay cut. The only reason he wouldn't is pure pride and stubbornness - dont think he will try to screw the jets though.

2 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Well he has two choices... take pay cut and win with the jets and make slightly more than he will make somewhere else. OR move to a new team, have to take his family with him, and he will end up getting paid less - makes no sense for him not to take the pay cut. The only reason he wouldn't is pure pride and stubbornness - dont think he will try to screw the jets though.

So taking a pay cut guarantees him to win a Super Bowl with the Jets.

2 hours ago, jett said:

Not that I'm in love with fitz, and I hope the deal isn't more than 2 years, but OK, yeah, please save us from another year of the best qb play the Jets have ever seen... Sounds kind of silly. Like it or not he's our best option. I just hope it's not that expensive. 

It amazes me how some middle of the pack stats are thrown around here as if its the knockout punch.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

It amazes me how some middle of the pack stats are thrown around here as if its the knockout punch.

Yes I know it's unfortunate that this season was the best season a Jets qb has had.. That shows you the unfortunate history of the Jets. I hope one day we actually find a franchise qb and not these fillers

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Any QB who has won a playoff game....Tebow is available.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaHhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHhahahaahahahahhhahahahhaHAHAHAHAHAHhahhHahahahhhJHHhhHhHHhhahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahh... 

Wow.

Hahahahahaahahhahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I needed that. Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, jett said:

Yes I know it's unfortunate that this season was the best season a Jets qb has had.. That shows you the unfortunate history of the Jets. I hope one day we actually find a franchise qb and not these fillers

Agreed. The one franchise QB we did find, was made out of glass and injuries ruined him (Pennington). I just fail to understand why the Jets arent drafting a QB in the first round (or so) EVERY YEAR. You continue drafting QBs until you hit the jackpot. For instance, we had the opportunity to draft Bridgewater (not really jackpot, but he showed he belongs in the NFL). We also passed up on the opportunity to draft Derek Carr a couple years back who threw for less ints and more TDs and yards in his 2nd year than Mr. Beard ever did. Thats 2 QBs in the same year when Jets needed a QB. Yeah, Pryor looks like a good pick but that pick is useless without a franchise QB. That is why I hope we draft a QB this year.

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

see below

44 minutes ago, jett said:

see above

41 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Agreed. The one franchise QB we did find, was made out of glass and injuries ruined him (Pennington). I just fail to understand why the Jets arent drafting a QB in the first round (or so) EVERY YEAR. You continue drafting QBs until you hit the jackpot. For instance, we had the opportunity to draft Bridgewater (not really jackpot, but he showed he belongs in the NFL). We also passed up on the opportunity to draft Derek Carr a couple years back who threw for less ints and more TDs and yards in his 2nd year than Mr. Beard ever did. Thats 2 QBs in the same year when Jets needed a QB. Yeah, Pryor looks like a good pick but that pick is useless without a franchise QB. That is why I hope we draft a QB this year.

Really good post I agree with everything. Pennington would have been our guy you're right. He looked great, too bad about his injuries. This franchise is cursed I really believe it. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:19 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

They have those concerns with him as well. You realize he was ranked as one of the 10 worst tackles (out of like 75) in the NFL last year, right? There weren't even 5 tackles who gave up as many hits/pressures as Ferguson last season, even with a QB who gets rid of the ball fast, with relatively few 7-step drops, and the team being only middle of the pack in pass attempts anyway. And that's in pass blocking, which he's better at than run blocking.

In all honesty we should have already signed someone else, but he's nothing like the player he was so it would be no great loss (nor necessarily a loss at all). 

Addition by subtraction.  He is as huge a liability performance wise as his bloated contract.  So you reduce his contract to say $5 million and you're still stuck with a sub par player past his prime. Might as well just cut him and pay a better player that upgrades the position even if you have to pay a bit more. Cut Giacomo at the same turn and save another $5 million or so and start Qvale at RT.  He cant do any worse than that stiff either.  You've just upgraded the line and saved 8- 10 million.  Welcome back Fitz.

7 hours ago, cant wait said:

If signing fitz was the priority the jets would have signed him before they spent all their money in FA. If I'm brick I'm not taking a dime less to pay a journeyman QB's insane demands

Its not about paying Fitz's demands. That's not happening regardless. Its about not paying a player whose better days are far behind him. Especially paying him double digit millions.  At this point in his career, Dbick is nothing more than a back up worth 2-3 million.  I wouldn' even want him starting even for that.  He'd provide decent back up depth.  They MUST upgrade at LT somehow, someway.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Exactly.  He'd be lucky to even be signed by anybody. And moving his family around isn't an issue as some claim. The guy, if he's lucky, has a year or two left at the most.  No need to 'move your family' for a year.  I can see him saying thanks but no thanks to the pay cut and just retire which I actually believe would be in his best interest.  He's made millions and is set for life already.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Addition by subtraction.  He is as huge a liability performance wise as his bloated contract.  So you reduce his contract to say $5 million and you're still stuck with a sub par player past his prime. Might as well just cut him and pay a better player that upgrades the position even if you have to pay a bit more. Cut Giacomo at the same turn and save another $5 million or so and start Qvale at RT.  He cant do any worse than that stiff either.  You've just upgraded the line and saved 8- 10 million.  Welcome back Fitz.

Just name the man that upgrades LT for the Jets

2 hours ago, Powpow said:

Its not about paying Fitz's demands. That's not happening regardless. Its about not paying a player whose better days are far behind him. Especially paying him double digit millions.  At this point in his career, Dbick is nothing more than a back up worth 2-3 million.  I wouldn' even want him starting even for that.  He'd provide decent back up depth.  They MUST upgrade at LT somehow, someway.

Eventhough D Brickshaw Ferguson isn't what he once was, he still the Jet best option at Lt right now.( there is no one on the roster that wouldn't be a down grade from Brick). 

The Jets aren't drafting in the top five ( getting the two best tackle prospects) as it going to take time for a draft choice to be ready to play that important position. The Jets play a rookie Ot at Lt , they are going to be in serious trouble.( that's a disaster in the making) 

After the Jets create some cap room they sign a Will Beatty( ex Giant)  - a veteran Lt who can seriously push D Brickshaw a Ferguson for the starting job. That's a better option than counting on a raw rookie to solve their problems.

9 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

But it's OK to pay a declining CB $17MM per year?

2nd reminder, not 17mil per year.  It's 14mil per.

I have faith you'll get it soon.  Dogs can learn amazing things.  Pretty sure Pat fans can learn basic facts with repeated reminders.

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

We passed on Bridgwater and Carr because our stupid asshat moron dipsh! owner insisted on keeping a moron stupid asshat dipsh!t clown of a HC, and no real GM's would work with that moron asshat clown, so we got a moron dimwitted pretend GM, who was the only one who would work with that stupid asshat dipsh!t clown moron HC, and that stupid moron asshat dipsh!t clown GM was too stupid to realize that Geno Smith was not good enough to warrant passing on two good QB prospects

The Jets were always going to ask for Brick to take a pay cut.  The Fitzpatrick aspect is just a method of swinging public opinion in favor of the Jets.  "Why would they take Brick's money.  He's a soldier!  OH, it's so we can keep our QB who threw over 30 TD's.  Got it.  Nice move, Jets."

Archived