Mock Draft 2.0 - No trades

Guilhermezmc

The Jets don't find a deal good enough and choose too keep Muhammad Wilkerson.

1st Round Pick (20) - Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State - 6'7'' 310lbs.

458207836.jpg

New York would love to have one of the top edge rushers falling into their lap but that doesn't happen so they decide to go with the best OT available. Decker can start from day one at RT and maybe take over from Brick when is gone.

Alternative Choices - 

Leornard Floyd, OLB/DE, Georgia - 6'6'' 244lbs.

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan St. - 6'6'' 308lbs.

Noah Spence, OLB/DE, Eastern Kentucky - 6'2'' 251lbs.

2nd Round Pick (51) - Su'a Cravens, OLB/S, USC - 6'1'' 226lbs.

567361827.jpg

With all that talent upfront the Jets are leaning to change to a base 4-3 defense, with that said Cravens can play right away as the weak-side LB for that defense. Even if the Jets don't change to a base 4-3 Cravens is a playmaker and can help in many of the sub-packages used on the Todd Bowles 3-4 defense.

Alternative Choices -

Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana - 6'6'' 301lbs.

Gemain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M - 6'6'' 324lbs.

Kamalei Correa, DE/OLB, Boise State - 6'3'' 243lbs.

3rd Round Pick (83) - Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford - 6'4'' 312lbs.

498470154.jpg

The Jets need help at G and if Garnett is there he will be too good to pass.

Alternative Choices -

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan St. - 6'4'' 217lbs.

Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech - 6'5'' 316lbs.

Yannick Ngakoue, OLB/DE, Maryland - 6'2'' 252lbs.

4th Round Pick (118) - Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State - 6'6'' 257lbs.

501470850.jpg

Great size, can block and catch, would be a great complement to Jace Amaro and the offense. Can you imagine Marshall, Decker, Amaro and Vannett in the redzone?

Alternative Choices -

Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU - 6'1'' 171lbs.

Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky - 6'6'' 249lbs.

5th Round Pick (157) - DeAndre Houston-Carson, FS, William & Marry - 6'1'' 201lbs.

515534018.jpg

Very productive safety, can help the special teams right away (9 career blocked kicks). The Jets have scouted some safeties.

Alternative Choices -

Travis Feeney, LB, Washington - 6'4'' 230lbs.

Tajae Sharpe, WR, Massachusetts - 6'2'' 194lbs.

Robby Anderson, WR, Temple - 6'3'' 190lbs.

7th Round Pick (244) - Tom Hackett, P, Utah - 5'11'' 187lbs.

487098778.jpg

Goodbye Quigley, Hello Hackett!

I like Cravens but there is a good chance he sneaks into the first. Rumor is that the Panthers like him that much so they may not want to take the chance of letting him slip away but we will see. I defiantly like him as a late second round prospect

I don't think the Jets would take Cravens in the second round. He is a tweener (S/LB). Yes, he could be successful in their system. But I think the NFL will be challenging for him and he will not make an immediate impact. Just my opinion. I know there are teams that love him. Either way I doubt he goes in the first round and I would not be surprised if he slipped to the 3rd. 

I also do not agree with taking a TE in the 4th. With Amaro (receiving 'split-end'- recently draft in 2nd round), Davis (blocking TE- just re-signed), Sudfeld (depth-just resigned) and Enunwa (H-back- on roster as a WR), I simply don't see the Jets drafting a TE, not in the 4th. It does not make sense to me. Not to mention Gailey doesn't really use TEs as much as a lot of other teams do, so odds are the jets go into the season with 3 TEs AT MOST but probably 2 with Enunwa (technically) a WR on the roster. 

I also believe the Jets will draft a WR and probably a NT or Interior lineman. I'm surprised you have them going after a TE and Safety but not a WR or Interior D-lineman.    

This is my mock...although I believe the Jets will trade Wilkerson on draft day for an early 2nd round pick allowing them to take Lynch-QB or gamble on J.Smith-OLB. Otherwise, the mock would stay the same. Thoughts?  

Rd. 1: T.Decker- OT (OSU)

Rd. 2: C.Nassib- DE (PSU)

Rd. 3: Tajae Sharpe- WR (UMASS)

Rd. 4: D.Kirkland- OG (Arkansas)

Rd. 5: H.Ridgeway- NT (Texas)

Rd. 7: Best available PUNTER

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

This is my mock...although I believe the Jets will trade Wilkerson on draft day for an early 2nd round pick allowing them to take Lynch-QB or gamble on J.Smith-OLB. Otherwise, the mock would stay the same. Thoughts?  

Rd. 1: T.Decker- OT (OSU)

Rd. 2: C.Nassib- DE (PSU)

Rd. 3: Tajae Sharpe- WR (UMASS)

Rd. 4: D.Kirkland- OG (Arkansas)

Rd. 5: H.Ridgeway- NT (Texas)

Rd. 7: Best available PUNTER

Nassib? Another 4-3 defensive end thats just what we need, the jets have to go OLB and OL in the first 3 rounds imo.

I don't see Sharpe as 3rd round prospect.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I don't think the Jets would take Cravens in the second round. He is a tweener (S/LB). Yes, he could be successful in their system. But I think the NFL will be challenging for him and he will not make an immediate impact. Just my opinion. I know there are teams that love him. Either way I doubt he goes in the first round and I would not be surprised if he slipped to the 3rd. 

I also do not agree with taking a TE in the 4th. With Amaro (receiving 'split-end'- recently draft in 2nd round), Davis (blocking TE- just re-signed), Sudfeld (depth-just resigned) and Enunwa (H-back- on roster as a WR), I simply don't see the Jets drafting a TE, not in the 4th. It does not make sense to me. Not to mention Gailey doesn't really use TEs as much as a lot of other teams do, so odds are the jets go into the season with 3 TEs AT MOST but probably 2 with Enunwa (technically) a WR on the roster. 

I also believe the Jets will draft a WR and probably a NT or Interior lineman. I'm surprised you have them going after a TE and Safety but not a WR or Interior D-lineman.    

Gailey like to use TEs he just don't had any last year, the Kellen Davis re-sign was a bad move imo, he can't block or be effective on the passing game so that leaves the Jets one Amaro injury away from having 0 production from the TE position once again.

The FS pick is based on the reports that the Jets have scouted a big number of S this year, maybe they a trying to find the replacement for Gilchrist or maybe they are just looking for depth.

I don't see WR as big need that you have to take one in the 3rd round neither a interior d-lineman, to me D-line is where the Jets have more depth, Mo, Sheldon and Leo can play anywhere in the Line and with the additon of McLendon and Jenkins gives the depth and chance for this D-line be elite this year again.

Cravens can be that jack of all trades for Todd Bowles, i don't see he being elite on any area but being pretty good in many of them, he isn't the best athlete but his motor is great, besides that for a guy that is 6'1'' he can set the edge and rush the qb i think he just need to get stronger to play in the NFL. If he is there at (51) he will be the best outside linebacker available imo.

Fair enough.

Let me just clarify why I have some of these picks. 

1. Nassib is not simply a 4-3 DE. He will serve as an OLB/Pass rusher in a 3-4 that can set the edge and play with his hand in the dirt. He is a fantastic pass rusher. If anything, the argument can be made that he is too much of a one trick pony, but I believe he is big and strong enough to set the edge against the run. He will not do much incoverage, but the Jets don't use their OLBs for coverage, rather, its the responsibility of the 2 ILB positions. I think he fits and I think the value is there late in the 2nd round (where the Jets pick) and I love is motor and work ethic coming in as a walk on, putting on weight and turning himself into an elite college pass rusher. 

2. Where do you see Sharpe going? (ah, yes, just saw that you have him going n the 5th?) He is a sleeper pick, IMO. I think he can go anywhere from early 3rd to early 5th. But I like his skill set and I think he can come in and contribute right away. He's a big bodied, super productive college receiver. He doesn't have elite speed but has great hands, runs good routes and knows how to get open. I think he is on the radar of some teams as he had a solid combine and teams came away impressed with his effortlessness and fluidity on routes. He played on the outside and in the slot and frankly reminds me a lot of Victor Cruz.    

3. I like Cravens, I agree on your justifications for drafting him. Just not sure the Jets should use their 2nd rounder on him. Maybe. But I would rather go with a pure pass rusher like Nassib.

4. I have no problem with the Jets taking a safety. It makes sense in the later rounds, especially if there is a high upside prospect. I was just surprised you had a safety and TE but no WR or interior lineman. 

NEEDS:

TE: Regardless of what you may think of Davis, the Jets re-signed him. He is known for his ability to block and I think that is why they brought him back. They also re-signed Sudfeld. And last year they used Enunwa a lot, with quite a bit of success. Amaro will be back as well and I think they have high hopes for him this season. No, I'm not sold on this core of TEs. But simply the fact that they re-signed 2 and 1 is coming back from a season ending injury and another has been essentially converted to a TE/H-Back from WR, tells me that they are not looking to draft a TE and don't have a need for one. As I mentioned, they don't even have room on the roster unless they cut someone.

WR: I believe WR is a need. Easily a big enough need to take someone in the top 3 rounds. After Marshall and Decker they really have no proven depth. The Jets have high hopes for D.Smith but he did not impress last year and then got hurt for the rest of the season. There's a number of other WRs on the roster (including K.Thompkins) but I have ZERO faith in any of them and it looks like the only other WR that got an opportunity to play was Enunwa, who as I mentioned, barely lined up as WR. Talk about one injury leading to a drop in production, if Marshall or Decker go down the Jets are in trouble. Many might disagree but I think Sharpe is a very good WR and is worth a 3rd round pick.  

D-line: This is not an immediate need, I agree. But I am assuming Wilk gets traded before or during the draft or walks next season. The jets signed McLendon and Jenkins but its obvious neither are long term solutions. Assuming Wilk is gone, the Jets have L.Williams and S.Richardson as young building blocks. They also have Simon, who was a 7th round pick and who they seem to like but who has yet to play a snap in the NFL and who I have zero faith in. This is why I have them taking Ridgeway in the 5th. Its also a VALUE pick as I believe the only reason a talent like Ridgeway falls to the 5th is b/c of the great depth of D-line talent in the draft. As counter-intuitive as it might sound, it would be silly for the Jets not to take an Interior D-lineman somewhere in this draft, there is just too much great D-line talent that will be available. Again, Nassib, although a DE in college, will be a OLB/Edge rusher in the Jets hybrid scheme as it is imperative that whatever OLB they draft can set the edge and they love OLB's that can play at the line with their hand in the dirt.  

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Fair enough.

Let me just clarify why I have some of these picks. 

1. Nassib is not simply a 4-3 DE. He will serve as an OLB/Pass rusher in a 3-4 that can set the edge and play with his hand in the dirt. He is a fantastic pass rusher. If anything, the argument can be made that he is too much of a one trick pony, but I believe he is big and strong enough to set the edge against the run. He will not do much incoverage, but the Jets don't use their OLBs for coverage, rather, its the responsibility of the 2 ILB positions. I think he fits and I think the value is there late in the 2nd round (where the Jets pick) and I love is motor and work ethic coming in as a walk on, putting on weight and turning himself into an elite college pass rusher. 

2. Where do you see Sharpe going? (ah, yes, just saw that you have him going n the 5th?) He is a sleeper pick, IMO. I think he can go anywhere from early 3rd to early 5th. But I like his skill set and I think he can come in and contribute right away. He's a big bodied, super productive college receiver. He doesn't have elite speed but has great hands, runs good routes and knows how to get open. I think he is on the radar of some teams as he had a solid combine and teams came away impressed with his effortlessness and fluidity on routes. He played on the outside and in the slot and frankly reminds me a lot of Victor Cruz.    

3. I like Cravens, I agree on your justifications for drafting him. Just not sure the Jets should use their 2nd rounder on him. Maybe. But I would rather go with a pure pass rusher like Nassib.

4. I have no problem with the Jets taking a safety. It makes sense in the later rounds, especially if there is a high upside prospect. I was just surprised you had a safety and TE but no WR or interior lineman. 

NEEDS:

TE: Regardless of what you may think of Davis, the Jets re-signed him. He is known for his ability to block and I think that is why they brought him back. They also re-signed Sudfeld. And last year they used Enunwa a lot, with quite a bit of success. Amaro will be back as well and I think they have high hopes for him this season. No, I'm not sold on this core of TEs. But simply the fact that they re-signed 2 and 1 is coming back from a season ending injury and another has been essentially converted to a TE/H-Back from WR, tells me that they are not looking to draft a TE and don't have a need for one. As I mentioned, they don't even have room on the roster unless they cut someone.

WR: I believe WR is a need. Easily a big enough need to take someone in the top 3 rounds. After Marshall and Decker they really have no proven depth. The Jets have high hopes for D.Smith but he did not impress last year and then got hurt for the rest of the season. There's a number of other WRs on the roster (including K.Thompkins) but I have ZERO faith in any of them and it looks like the only other WR that got an opportunity to play was Enunwa, who as I mentioned, barely lined up as WR. Talk about one injury leading to a drop in production, if Marshall or Decker go down the Jets are in trouble. Many might disagree but I think Sharpe is a very good WR and is worth a 3rd round pick.  

D-line: This is not an immediate need, I agree. But I am assuming Wilk gets traded before or during the draft or walks next season. The jets signed McLendon and Jenkins but its obvious neither are long term solutions. Assuming Wilk is gone, the Jets have L.Williams and S.Richardson as young building blocks. They also have Simon, who was a 7th round pick and who they seem to like but who has yet to play a snap in the NFL and who I have zero faith in. This is why I have them taking Ridgeway in the 5th. Its also a VALUE pick as I believe the only reason a talent like Ridgeway falls to the 5th is b/c of the great depth of D-line talent in the draft. As counter-intuitive as it might sound, it would be silly for the Jets not to take an Interior D-lineman somewhere in this draft, there is just too much great D-line talent that will be available. Again, Nassib, although a DE in college, will be a OLB/Edge rusher in the Jets hybrid scheme as it is imperative that whatever OLB they draft can set the edge and they love OLB's that can play at the line with their hand in the dirt.  

I respect all the points you made, but i don't agree with you in several of them especially the Nassib and on the TEs, i just don't see how i guy that is 6'7'' and 277lbs who still need to add some muscle to his frame can play OLB, Nassib will be another Quinton Coples, if not worse. Less athletic, can't play against the run and very very raw.

TE is a much bigger need than WR imo. Like i said before, if you look at the past offenses run by Gailey you will se that he uses TEs a lot. Enunwa is not a TE, and the Jets are looking to get him more involved on the passing game as a WR (Less blocking more targets), besides all of that the team drafted a WR high last year i just don't think they are done with him, the team would benefit a lot more from bringing a big TE to the mix then a guy that would fight to be the 3rd string WR on the team. You said that you have zero faith on the WRs besides Marshall and Decker, but you have faith in Kellen Davis and Zach Sudfeld i just find that hard to understand. I believe that right now the team just can't afford to take a WR in the 3rd round with bigger needs like OL, but if they believe that a WR would benefict the team more than TE they should do it and select one in the 4th.

13 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I respect all the points you made, but i don't agree with you in several of them especially the Nassib and on the TEs, i just don't see how i guy that is 6'7'' and 277lbs who still need to add some muscle to his frame can play OLB, Nassib will be another Quinton Coples, if not worse. Less athletic, can't play against the run and very very raw.

TE is a much bigger need than WR imo. Like i said before, if you look at the past offenses run by Gailey you will se that he uses TEs a lot. Enunwa is not a TE, and the Jets are looking to get him more involved on the passing game as a WR (Less blocking more targets), besides all of that the team drafted a WR high last year i just don't think they are done with him, the team would benefit a lot more from bringing a big TE to the mix then a guy that would fight to be the 3rd string WR on the team. You said that you have zero faith on the WRs besides Marshall and Decker, but you have faith in Kellen Davis and Zach Sudfeld i just find that hard to understand. I believe that right now the team just can't afford to take a WR in the 3rd round with bigger needs like OL, but if they believe that a WR would benefict the team more than TE they should do it and select one in the 4th.

"No, I'm not sold on this core of TEs. But simply the fact that they re-signed 2 and 1 is coming back from a season ending injury and another has been essentially converted to a TE/H-Back from WR, tells me that they are not looking to draft a TE and don't have a need for one. As I mentioned, they don't even have room on the roster unless they cut someone."

I don't have faith in Davis (other than as a blocker) or Sudfeld...not at all, as I mentioned above. I'd love for them to draft a TE than can block and catch. But as I said above, it doesn't make sense for the Jets to do that after the moves they made bringing guys back, that's all. Hey, maybe they draft a TE anyway and cut Sudfeld or Davis. But makes no sense to me after signing thee guys in FA. So I agree with you but I can;t comprehend why th eJEts would bring these guys back just to draft a TE, knowing they will have to cut one of the guys they just re-signed. 

As far as WR, its not that I think the Jets are done with D.Smith. Not at all. Its just that they he showed nothing last year to give me confidence going forward. He'll still get his snaps and opportunities and hopefully turns into the deep threat the Jets need. But, as I said, after Marshall and Decker, they really have nobody other than Smith and Enunwa. Unlike other positions, WR is one where you have to have depth. 3rd string is very important on a WR depth chart, especially for a guy like Gailey. 3rd string is considered a starter-IMO. It's the slot guy, its the guy that will play across from your #1 in case one of your top 2 WRs get hurt, etc. So, to me, 3rd round is worthy of a WR pick.

I also think our view of Nassib differs. I think he is very capable (if put on the edge as an OLB) of setting the edge and stopping the run as well as putting pressure on the QB. The fact that he is 6'7, 277 will only help him to set the edge against the bigger, more athletic O-linemen in the NFL. Nassib is not as big and strong as Coples but hes much faster, quicker and MORE athletic than Coples. And he has a way better motor. Sure, he's raw. But he knows how to get to the QB. The reason Rex put Colpes at OLB was b/c of his size and ability to set the edge and help stop the run (Coples was always a DT/DE). The hope was that he could effectively rush the passer, which is so important as an 'edge' defender. Except Coples never materialized into a pass rusher and his motor was always poor. He literally had fatigue problems and couldn;t stay on teh field for an extended period of time. I think Nassib and Coples are very different players.             

Rd 1  QB Lynch     Take a chance Mac. He could be special.

Rd 2   OLB Spence      relentless and a steal at round 2 if he can keep his head on.   

Rd 3   OL Spriggs      A big guy which we need.

Rd 4   Graham Glasgow, C   Can play any positons along the line. And well.

Rd 5 WR Michael Thomas  S. Miss   Kid is a sleeper and has all the intangibles.

Rd 7 P Hackett     Most 7th rounders rarely make the team. This guy will.

This fills many and most needs..   QB, OLB, OL, (C, G Glasgow is versatile), WR deep threat, and PUNTER.

8 hours ago, Powpow said:

Rd 2   OLB Spence      relentless and a steal at round 2 if he can keep his head on.   

Rd 3   OL Spriggs      A big guy which we need.

Rd 4   Graham Glasgow, C   Can play any positons along the line. And well.

Rd 5 WR Michael Thomas  S. Miss   Kid is a sleeper and has all the intangibles.

This fills many and most needs..   QB, OLB, OL, (C, G Glasgow is versatile), WR deep threat, and PUNTER.

Glorious, but wishful thinking. Spriggs surprises in round 1 IMO

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Glorious, but wishful thinking. Spriggs surprises in round 1 IMO

Revised as per Clady trade:

Rd 3   C  Graham Glasgow,    Can play any positons along the line. And well.

Rd 4   CB Maurice Canady, Virginia

Rd 7 TE  Ben Braunecker    Havard

This fills many and most needs..   QB, OLB, OL, (C, G Glasgow is versatile),  CB, and PUNTER.

Archived