Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Integrity28

15 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Probably for the best. " 'Ullo there Luuuuuke, Oi'me yuuurrr faaaarrtherrrrrr"  probably wouldn't have had quite the same dramatic effect

the poor bastrd tho.  thought he was acting all along and they never told him.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, chirorob said:

Prowse found out his lines were dubbed when he went to the premier.   Have you ever heard his voice?   It's awful.

Love these guys

Just made up stuff that sounds plausible and fun.

oh that sucks for prowse.  

I am trying to avoid all ideas and trailers until I can see it

I saw this today and thought it was kind of funny/interesting as a boredom-time read for entertainment's sake. Someone sat down and calculated how much it would cost to run the Death Star on a day-to-day basis.  Spoiler: it's a sh*tload of money.

Ever since Star Wars fans first laid their eyes on the monstrous Death Star in 1977, we've been fascinated with the Empire's ultimate weapon. Now with "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" due out Dec. 16, that obsession has returned.

Curious minds at Ovo Energy, an energy-supply company in England, decided to find out how much the massive armored space station would cost to operate. (Back in 2012, Lehigh University students delved into figuring out what it would cost to build the thing, but we're talking daily operations, here.)

Their calculations were impressively detailed, and they collaborated with science bloggers and professors to get even the trivial facts sketched out. 

They're assuming a staff of over two million, which seems crazy-big, but hey, they're probably losing a couple hundred staffers daily to those deadly trash compactors onboard, so we'll go with that. 

They've thought out how much it would cost to jump to hyperspace and to shoot and recharge its deadly planet-killing laser -- the one that sent poor Princess Leia looking for love in Alderaan places.

The company claims the space station has 85 levels and 257 sublevels, and just keeping the lights on alone would take 191,547,745,149 light bulbs. Which we're calling foul on, because come on, a station this advanced probably gets its lighting power from freaky futuristic luminescent squid or something. Seriously, are they sending stormtroopers (of which there are only 25,984) around with ladders and those telescoping bulb changers?

Speaking of the stormtroopers and other staff, the site totals up the cost of sheltering and feeding them, including a laundry bill of $62,632 (about £49,655 or AU$84,420) per wash and $172,185 (about £136,440 or AU$231,900 ) per dry.

And since it's a British company, when it figures out the cost of meals, it assumes each staffer is eating three meals and enjoying two cups of tea per day. (Probably Earl Grey. Hot. Wait, wrong series.)

But in the end, they come up with a daily operating cost so high that the numbers sound as fake as Jar-Jar's accent. The company estimates it'd cost $7.7 octillion (that's about £6 octillion or AU$are you kidding I can't count that high). An octillion is either a number with 27 zeroes after it, or maybe 48 zeroes, or maybe you just hire a third grader to keep drawing zeroes until his or her hand falls off.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

just finished watching that, very cool

JW Rinzler's making of books are excellent as well, probably the best sources for learning all about the productions and their woes. Highly thorough and many of the photos and illustrations can only be found in his books. Bad news is they are on the pricey end.

It's crazy to say this because of how much of an ATM the franchise has become, but the thing that gets lost is just how much Lucas revolutionized not only the film making industry but filming in general. Not just how films are marketed and merchandised, but actual directing and production. Rinzler's books really get at the how and why of that.

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

JW Rinzler's making of books are excellent as well, probably the best sources for learning all about the productions and their woes. Highly thorough and many of the photos and illustrations can only be found in his books. Bad news is they are on the pricey end.

It's crazy to say this because of how much of an ATM the franchise has become, but the thing that gets lost is just how much Lucas revolutionized not only the film making industry but filming in general. Not just how films are marketed and merchandised, but actual directing and production. Rinzler's books really get at the how and why of that.

I had no idea he put up the money for Empire, that takes serious guts and its mind boggling to realize that he is responsible for THX, Pixar, ILM, star wars and indiana jones.

loved seeing all the rough cut stuff with no visual effects, soundtrack or sound effects. you have to be a true visionary to take that to what we saw in the theaters and hearing prowse give those famous vader lines was so funny

the way they kept vaders famous line a secret was cool as well

I don't know if I have posted this before, but I remember a friend of mine's father getting us out of school early for the first showing of Empire on opening day.  there were some TV spots, but this was before the internet and social media (duh) so nobody knew anything going in that day

so we're coming out of the theater, going past the people waiting to get in for the 2nd showing on opening day and my friend says to me, "I can't believe Darth Vader is lukes's father !!!"

holy sh*t I don't know how we got out of there alive, lol

We are a Star Wars Family. My boys (7&4) can quote the OT and Prequels, Chewbacca is currently standing guard over our Nativity scene...I saw Star Wars in 1977 at 7 years old and have been a die hard fan since.

And I thought TFA sucked. It "looked" like Star Wars, kinda sounded like SW, but it was empty and soulless. The plot was crap, and Poe Dameron is a bitch that couldn't hold Wedge Antilles jock.  And I said as much here last year with much more specific and detailed criticism 

That being said, Rogue One looks Totally fracking badass, and I hope is the Star Wars movie we've been waiting for since 1983. Heck, they even show X-Wings... fighting in SPACE. Not buzzing around in atmosphere like a damned F-15. 

Im fired up for this one, and will be seeing it in IMAX the morning if the 16th....and then later that night with my wife and kids. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am the least qualified person to offer any sort of objective opinion on the movie, but it's ******* awesome. Some spoiler-free general observations:

- The reviews that say this one is for the die-hards are spot on. It's chock full of homages and references, some obvious and some very subtle.

- It is the most action packed Star Wars movie ever made and that's not an opinion. The dogfight scenes are something else. It just might be the best looking of any SW movie.

- I don't agree that this is a one-off movie. It fits in so incredibly well with like 50% of A New Hope. IMO it's more a prequel to IV than it is just some sort of side story.

- It's only been one watch, but I loved it more than Force Awakens and I am a huge fan of VII.

- There is something incredibly liberating about knowing how it's all going to end. The Internet isn't trying to ruin the movie for you and you're not paranoid about missing plot points when you're watching it. The whole thing is just a ton of fun from front to back. As time passes I can definitely see this being my 2nd or 3rd favorite movie of the franchise.

- Donnie Yen is and will always be the man. What a great character he played.

- If this is how Disney is handling all of these Anthology movies I can't wait to see what they have in store for the Han Solo one. If it weren't for Rian Johnson I might be looking forward to that more than VIII.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am the least qualified person to offer any sort of objective opinion on the movie, but it's ******* awesome. Some spoiler-free general observations:

- The reviews that say this one is for the die-hards are spot on. It's chock full of homages and references, some obvious and some very subtle.

- It is the most action packed Star Wars movie ever made and that's not an opinion. The dogfight scenes are something else. It just might be the best looking of any SW movie.

- I don't agree that this is a one-off movie. It fits in so incredibly well with like 50% of A New Hope. IMO it's more a prequel to IV than it is just some sort of side story.

- It's only been one watch, but I loved it more than Force Awakens and I am a huge fan of VII.

- There is something incredibly liberating about knowing how it's all going to end. The Internet isn't trying to ruin the movie for you and you're not paranoid about missing plot points when you're watching it. The whole thing is just a ton of fun from front to back. As time passes I can definitely see this being my 2nd or 3rd favorite movie of the franchise.

- If this is how Disney is handling all of these Anthology movies I can't wait to see what they have in store for the Han Solo one. If it weren't for Rian Johnson I might be looking forward to that more than VIII.

Everything about your review makes me happy. Cant wait to see it today and get into it in a few days.

We may have disagreed about TFA (I didn't like it initially, didn't enjoy it on rewatch, and have no interest in watching it ain, tbh...nor do my kids) BUT I had the feeling from the previews that R1 was the STAR WARS MOVIE I have been waiting for since 1983....

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Everything about your review makes me happy. Cant wait to see it today and get into it in a few days.

We may have disagreed about TFA (I didn't like it initially, didn't enjoy it on rewatch, and have no interest in watching it ain, tbh...nor do my kids) BUT I had the feeling from the previews that R1 was the STAR WARS MOVIE I have been waiting for since 1983....

Again, this is only off of one watch and I'm still coming down off of it, but it actually might be the Star Wars movie you've been waiting for since 1980, because I may even put it over Jedi. It's just an incredibly badass movie and I am hoping that the fact it's going to do so well will encourage Disney to make some more adult oriented stuff as the years go on. It was a big risk for Disney to make this and it's looking like it's going to pay off big time.

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What he said.

Some quick things without spoilers...my 7 year old was riveted. Loved it. My 5 year old was somewhat restless for the first hour, but this is NOT a "kids movie". 

The claims of "Fan Service* by some critics is ridiculous. The callbacks to the OT are warranted as continuity and for me, some of the small ones were truly joyful.  

The characters are awesome, likeable, make sense, and are perfectly portrayed. 

Forget any crap you may have heard about any political agenda to the movie, it was Star Wars. Good vs. Evil. Rebel Alliance vs. Empire 

The last few minutes of the movie are ******* Brilliant. The whole theatre was clapping and didnt want to stop. 

This could have been the original  film in the franchise, and Star Wars would STILL be the phenomenon that it is. No other SW movie aside from 1977 Star Wars could make that claim.

What a great movie. Seriously. I loved it. It's a tiny bit slow in the middle, but it has to be. You'll see. 

And the third act?

Wow.

Random thoughts... I love the undertone of a Force-less rebellion. All movie long I waited for Donnie Yen to turn out to be the predictable Jedi asset in their entourage, but he doesn't. At first, watching this, I had a little voice saying, "Am I really watching a SW movie without any Jedi in it...", but upon reflection I think that's what made the movie so beautiful. And it was beautiful. This was, without question, one of the better war films I've ever seen. 

Yen's faith in the Force proves to be the asset that replaces the actual Force as a weapon. If he was able to use the Force, then he could have stayed under cover and moved the switch for the comm link without self-sacrificing. It's the lack of Force within the rebel group that necessitates them dying for the cause, which is an element of this "war" that really hasn't been prevalent before. Here, in this film, it's a fundamental theme. Yen has to step into crossfire to flip the switch. The entire group end up on a one-way mission. The crew aboard the hammerhead corvette that rams the Star Destroyer into the other, to ultimately take out the shield... all of it is about dying for the cause. Which makes it the realest feeling war film out of all of them. 

I like that we're reminded of how much an advantage the Force creates in the scene where Vader goes Old Boy walking down the corridor... but love that this film leans so heavily upon the ideals of hope, belief and sacrifice. 

Archived