Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Integrity28

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Random thoughts... I love the undertone of a Force-less rebellion. All movie long I waited for Donnie Yen to turn out to be the predictable Jedi asset in their entourage, but he doesn't. At first, watching this, I had a little voice saying, "Am I really watching a SW movie without any Jedi in it...", but upon reflection I think that's what made the movie so beautiful. And it was beautiful. This was, without question, one of the better war films I've ever seen. 

Yen's faith in the Force proves to be the asset that replaces the actual Force as a weapon. If he was able to use the Force, then he could have stayed under cover and moved the switch for the comm link without self-sacrificing. It's the lack of Force within the rebel group that necessitates them dying for the cause, which is an element of this "war" that really hasn't been prevalent before. Here, in this film, it's a fundamental theme. Yen has to step into crossfire to flip the switch. The entire group end up on a one-way mission. The crew aboard the hammerhead corvette that rams the Star Destroyer into the other, to ultimately take out the shield... all of it is about dying for the cause. Which makes it the realest feeling war film out of all of them. 

I like that we're reminded of how much an advantage the Force creates in the scene where Vader goes Old Boy walking down the corridor... but love that this film leans so heavily upon the ideals of hope, belief and sacrifice. 

Spoilers, much?  ?

Also worth noting and pieced together through the book and comics (which are now canon), Vader lives on that planet on the orders of his master:

The Emperor would always seek to recharge Vader's hate. It's almost as if he could tell that Vader had a pull toward the light within his heart, and so the manipulative Emperor would keep him on a tight leash in between missions, forcing him to go to where he'd feel the angriest.

It's why we saw a "fully charged" Vader at the end of Rogue One, since he had just come from the epicenter of his rage on Mustafar; Yet, later on, while confronting Obi-Wan with the knowledge that Luke was nearby and having met Leia earlier on, he wasn't nearly as passionate in the battle that would take Obi-Wan's life. Then, according to Darth Vader comic books that are canon, after perceiving that Vader was going soft following the destruction of the first Death Star in A New Hope, Emperor Palpatine dispatched him to Tattooine for a recharge. He knew that a visit to Tattooine would re-fuel Vader's hatred by reminding him of his dead mother and that he was once a slave.

Worth noting that in the book for Force Awakens, this is the precise thing that Snoke focuses on about Vader, and also critiques the Empire and Palpatine for:

"I watched the Empire rise, and then fall. The gullible prattle on about the triumph of truth and justice, of individualism and free will. As if such things were solid and real. The historians have it all wrong. It was neither poor strategy nor arrogance that brought down the Empire. You know too well what did."

Ren nodded once. "Sentiment."

"Yes. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment—had the father killed the son—the Empire would have prevailed. And there would be no threat of Skywalker’s return today."

Yes, but unfortunately, being in JJ Abrams Clumsy, pandering, idea theft sh*tfest that was TFA, that exchange would be between Darth Barbarino and Star Wars Gollum.....kind of taking me out of the moment. LOL 

Sorry. I just didn't like that movie. So glad R1 is awesome, and I hope the rest of the film's are as well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to go see this again for New Year's Day, literally every decent theater in the city, any decent seat is gone. This movie has been out for 3 weekends now. Just wow.

With what TFA and Rogue One are making, plus all the merch sales, I'm wondering how close they are to covering the $4 billion they paid for the franchise. It's gotta be damn close, and with the way these flicks are selling it's looking like they vastly underpaid.

45 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wanted to go see this again for New Year's Day, literally every decent theater in the city, any decent seat is gone. This movie has been out for 3 weekends now. Just wow.

With what TFA and Rogue One are making, plus all the merch sales, I'm wondering how close they are to covering the $4 billion they paid for the franchise. It's gotta be damn close, and with the way these flicks are selling it's looking like they vastly underpaid.

They're closing in on $3B.

Seriously. The last total I saw was $2.7B

I wish my Disney Shares would start reflecting that....damned ESPN anchor....lol

42 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

They're closing in on $3B.

Seriously. The last total I saw was $2.7B

I wish my Disney Shares would start reflecting that....damned ESPN anchor....lol

They are going to be in the black on a four billion dollar investment in under 5 years. That is ******* bonkers.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They are going to be in the black on a four billion dollar investment in under 5 years. That is ******* bonkers.

The Force Awakens -- $2.07 Billion ($306 million budget) = $1.77M Net

Rogue One -- $706 million ($200 million budget) = $500M Net ($2.27B To-Date) Number will certainly rise materially. 

Star Wars 8 -- Likely another 2 Billion/1.75 Net flick if it's any good.

By this point, they're near on paid off.

Han Solo Film -- Any good and it'll make a ton.  $1 Bill easy.

Star Wars 9 -- $2B+ if 8 was solid.

Third Non-Saga Film -- $1B+

So by the end o ftheir first 6 film cycle, they'll likely be somewhere north of 3 billion in the positive, after costs are factored in.

Just on the films.

Merch and the like, also billions.

Yeah, safe to say Disney make a sound buy here, and is managing it well. 

7 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

The Force Awakens was far better. I saw Rogue yesterday new year's eve and I was disappointed with all the HYPERBOLE.

We'll agree to disagree. I thought TFA was crap ... "Look out! Here comes Poe Damerong and Rainbow Diversity Squadron!!"......?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The Force Awakens -- $2.07 Billion ($306 million budget) = $1.77M Net

Rogue One -- $706 million ($200 million budget) = $500M Net ($2.27B To-Date) Number will certainly rise materially. 

Star Wars 8 -- Likely another 2 Billion/1.75 Net flick if it's any good.

By this point, they're near on paid off.

Han Solo Film -- Any good and it'll make a ton.  $1 Bill easy.

Star Wars 9 -- $2B+ if 8 was solid.

Third Non-Saga Film -- $1B+

So by the end o ftheir first 6 film cycle, they'll likely be somewhere north of 3 billion in the positive, after costs are factored in.

Just on the films.

Merch and the like, also billions.

Yeah, safe to say Disney make a sound buy here, and is managing it well. 

Don't forget, Star Wars Land coming to Disney World and Disney Land.

On 12/18/2016 at 2:24 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

It is looking like some of these characters will be brought back for Rebels. They just announced Saw Guerrera will be in season 3.

Only character in the movie I didn't like.  Forrest Whitaker is a great actor but these accents like the Boston/Brooklyn hybrid he had in Arrival and this mid-atlantic speak he had in Rogue One were ludicrous

28 minutes ago, thadude said:

Only character in the movie I didn't like.  Forrest Whitaker is a great actor but these accents like the Boston/Brooklyn hybrid he had in Arrival and this mid-atlantic speak he had in Rogue One were ludicrous

There was obviously a lot left in the cutting room floor. And the raspy yelling of every line w as tedious.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

For Christmas, my son got me the Star Wars Christmas Special from 1978.

Never, ever, have I seen anything like it.

It may be the best/worst thing in the history of entertainment.

Complete insanity and, God rest her soul, a cocaine fueled performance from Carrie. She once said she was so messed up for that, she didn't remember making it.

On 1/2/2017 at 6:19 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

There was obviously a lot left in the cutting room floor. And the raspy yelling of every line w as tedious.

They could have replaced his character with some CGI monster and it would have been more interesting.

FINALLY got to see this.  work has been crazy

The ending was bittersweet with Carries passing

my son loved it, which is awesome because he only kinda liked VII

I think I noticed most of the easter eggs.

The outerspace scenes and the final battel were very cool.

overall I have to say just like VII, the last 10 minutes saved the movie from a "good" rating to great.

only wish I has seen it opening night with a big crowd

On 1/12/2017 at 8:17 PM, Larz said:

FINALLY got to see this.  work has been crazy

The ending was bittersweet with Carries passing

my son loved it, which is awesome because he only kinda liked VII

I think I noticed most of the easter eggs.

The outerspace scenes and the final battel were very cool.

overall I have to say just like VII, the last 10 minutes saved the movie from a "good" rating to great.

only wish I has seen it opening night with a big crowd

I liked it a little better than TFA.  This might be a result that it was a stand alone and not trying to be the first step in three part series of movies.

I liked the ending as well.  More so for what happened with the story.

I liked the Grand Moth Tarkin CGI.  Not so much with the Leia.  It was good, but a little too perfect.

Archived