D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

BroadwayJets

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I see you remember some of the afflicted.

Any chance Carpenter can swing to LT in a pinch? I thought he was originally drafted for that position, struggled and they moved him inside. IIRC

Not the greatest solution, but with the system Chan runs, he might be able to perform well as compared to the system in Seattle.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

maybe now we can find a LT that wont give up Double digit sacks every year and be bad in the run game.

The fact the guy never missed time made him reliable not great.

Brick had about 2 very  good seasons and the rest were meh for a top 5 pick at the LT position.

Hilarious how the NFLK network are calling Brick our Best OLman and the Anchor of the OL LOfuclikingL. When we had Moore Mangold and Woody all played better than Brick by a wide margin. If Bricks claim to fame is his ability to stay on the field good for him, it does not make him the player they are pushing in the media not by a longshot.

Take it for what it's worth because it's Mehta, Mr. "according to sources" himself. But in an article that was generally sympathetic to Ferguson, he did gloss over noting the Jets felt Ferguson's play was below mediocre. Below mediocre.

They (allegedly) offered him roughly a 50% pay cut but it seems it was just a pay cut with nothing else promised - no "if you take this pay cut we'll guarantee your 2016 salary" to go along with the pay cut, which is usually the offer. So the Jets still could have cut him after he accepted the pay cut, which would have embarrassed Ferguson (IMO it should embarrass the team to pull that, but whatever). Supposedly this was a concern of Ferguson's, with the draft coming up and presumably his now $5M not being guaranteed (the way the Jets cut Faneca after drafting his theoretical replacement, Vladimir Ducasse). 

Also, it seems that, for all Ferguson's CTE concerns (which I'm sure are/were totally real and legitimate), he was still going to play if it was for the $10.4M he was otherwise scheduled to make. So though it wasn't put this way, it means he felt his brain was worth risking for $10M but not worth risking for $5M. (Actually half that due to taxes).

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Any chance Carpenter can swing to LT in a pinch? I thought he was originally drafted for that position, struggled and they moved him inside. IIRC

Not the greatest solution, but with the system Chan runs, he might be able to perform well as compared to the system in Seattle.

Don't know if he was drafted for that position, but he played it in college (I'm reading it now; I never saw him play a game in college). He did start at least one game at RT as a rookie, for whatever that's worth. I'm sure that's not their preference, but it's not like teams have never done it before. Depends on how horrible the other LT options are, because then we may end up with sub-par play at LT and at LG. But hey, Damien Woody wasn't an NFL tackle until someone in Detroit tried him at RT at age 30.

I doubt it, and think it's more likely to be a veteran replacement, a rookie, or last resort Qvale. Moving Carpenter out there I have to believe would be below those 3 options.

5 hours ago, Savage69 said:

We will have to see how it plays out when we got rid of Mawae we got Mangold a center isn't LT but he was a nice replacement.. Brick replaced Fabini at LT and he was a better upgrade for sure..

Comeon Savage you're smarter poster than that.  That's like saying you can find a franchise Qb in the sixth round too.( if anyone thought that guy could have been a franchise Qb teams wouldn't have passed on him six times) . Patriots were just lucky.

There is a big difference drafting a franchise Lt in the top five, and at twenty.    ( success rate drops significantly).    Sure there always examples of some very good players that were drafted later, but I wouldn't count on it.

Off Memory DBrickshaw Ferguson was the fourth pick in the draft , and Mangold was before the twenty pick.( range the top centers go off the board).  

58 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't know if he was drafted for that position, but he played it in college (I'm reading it now; I never saw him play a game in college). He did start at least one game at RT as a rookie, for whatever that's worth. I'm sure that's not their preference, but it's not like teams have never done it before. Depends on how horrible the other LT options are, because then we may end up with sub-par play at LT and at LG. But hey, Damien Woody wasn't an NFL tackle until someone in Detroit tried him at RT at age 30.

I doubt it, and think it's more likely to be a veteran replacement, a rookie, or last resort Qvale. Moving Carpenter out there I have to believe would be below those 3 options.

Ben Ijalana, Will Beatty are the 2 that make most sense. Ofcourse Qvale, Harrison could could compete for the position as well.

"Next Man Up"!

Who was the best OLT in the playoffs last year? Iirc, the Pats, Broncos, and Seahawks were playing backups. The Packers had mid-round pick David Bakhtiari, the Steelers had some dude named Alejandro Villanueva, the Panthers had the brutal Michael Oher, and the Cardinals had Jared Veldheer. The position has become overrated.

Brick never struck me as a guy who loved the game. He struck me as a very intelligent guy, who understood his physical abilities and leveraged them to make a lot of money. Now, at 32, he has his whole life ahead of him with plenty of money to do what he wants. Good for Brick, he is leaving at the right time, I wish him the best.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who was the best OLT in the playoffs last year? Iirc, the Pats, Broncos, and Seahawks were playing backups. The Packers had mid-round pick David Bakhtiari, the Steelers had some dude named Alejandro Villanueva, the Panthers had the brutal Michael Oher, and the Cardinals had Jared Veldheer. The position has become overrated.

The Broncos ( Von Miller and d Ware) showed  just how wrong your statement is.  When your playing inferior teams you might be able to get by with substandard starting Tackles.   

You play the elite teams who have top pass rushers , and put out garbage at tackle, than let's see how unimportant the tackle position is.    

The Jets nailed that draft( Ferguson/Mangold)  as they were able to draft two of the most positions on the offense line ( Lt and center) .   Hitting on those key positions were a big reason for the Jets Success .( didn't win the Super Bowl but went to couple Afc Championships.

Now with both nearing the end( one's retired already) it might take years for the Jets to find aqueate replacement for both.  You're weak at those two important , and it's hard to hide those positions.   

5 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Broncos ( Von Miller and d Ware) showed  just how wrong your statement is.  When your playing inferior teams you might be able to get by with substandard starting Tackles.   

You play the elite teams who have top pass rushers , and put out garbage at tackle, than let's see how unimportant the tackle position is.    

The Jets nailed that draft( Ferguson/Mangold)  as they were able to draft two of the most positions on the offense line ( Lt and center) .   Hitting on those key positions were a big reason for the Jets Success .( didn't win the Super Bowl but went to couple Afc Championships.

Now with both nearing the end( one's retired already) it might take years for the Jets to find aqueate replacement for both.  You're weak at those two important , and it's hard to hide those positions.   

Von Miller and Khalil Mack predominantly rush over the ORT.

3 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

I don't care if you had Joe Thomas, Jason Peters or Tyron Smith going against Miller and Ware.... your QB was going to get killed!

It's about scheming around them, getting the ball out quick(Brady) and getting help from the other guys on the line.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Von Miller and Khalil Mack predominantly rush over the ORT.

How does K Mack get in the conversation when we're talking about the Broncos.  D Ware was just as important as Von Miller putting pressure on C Newton .( it blows you point out of the water why you're trying to change the discussion. 

k Mack does rush over the right tackle about 70% of the time- percentage they are in nickel.    The other 30% he rushing against the Lt( lined up at Sslb).  Why he was first team all pro at both De, and outside Lb.

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

How does K Mack get in the conversation when we're talking about the Broncos.  D Ware was just as important as Von Miller putting pressure on C Newton .( it blows you point out of the water why you're trying to change the discussion. 

k Mack does rush over the right tackle about 70% of the time- percentage they are in nickel.    The other 30% he rushing against the Lt( lined up at Sslb).  Why he was first team all pro at both De, and outside Lb.

come again?

45 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Brick never struck me as a guy who loved the game. He struck me as a very intelligent guy, who understood his physical abilities and leveraged them to make a lot of money. Now, at 32, he has his whole life ahead of him with plenty of money to do what he wants. Good for Brick, he is leaving at the right time, I wish him the best.

bingo ! he never had that fire IMHO he always looked like he was just going through the motions especially in the run game .

D-Brick was a mainstay at the position he was guy who came to work did his job and never said a word.there were many games he got tossed around like a rag doll players have bad games. 

The fact that he retired the day after being asked to take a pay cut speaks volumes. 

My only hope is he wasn't sacrificed for Fitzpatrick but possibly Kaepernick. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

D-Brick was a mainstay at the position he was guy who came to work did his job and never said a word.there were many games he got tossed around like a rag doll players have bad games. 

The fact that he retired the day after being asked to take a pay cut speaks volumes. 

My only hope is he wasn't sacrificed for Fitzpatrick but possibly Kaepernick. 

stop with the Kaepernick crap its not happening and he's not a good QB. The Jets have probably had a deal in place with Fitz for a while now. Whether we had Fitz or Not D Brick was NEVER making 14 million this year so there was no sacrifice he's just a far below average player and has been for years

34 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I don't care if you had Joe Thomas, Jason Peters or Tyron Smith going against Miller and Ware.... your QB was going to get killed!

It's about scheming around them, getting the ball out quick(Brady) and getting help from the other guys on the line.

The Bronco's treated Tom Brady like he was a piñata .( you can't scheme around poor tackle play) . He felt that beating weeks after the game was over.    

The Patriots were able to move it only when the Bronco's  lost their starting safety. ( Gronk became a factor) .    Even passes he was completing he was taking some big shots.

The Jets were spoiled the last decade having Ferguson and Mangold.  You took for granted just how special it was to have two premier players at the two premier positions on the offenseline.     ( other fan bases know 

Jet fans are going to learn the hard way just how hard it's to find replacements at those two premier positions. ( Some fans think they can solve those positions in a year, but it might take years till you solve it) .     I agree with the poster who correctly stated this point.( won't mention the poster as it will go to his head). 

Every offense effectiveness start with the guys up front.( game still won in the trenches).

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ironically the day after he was asked to take a pay cut he retires..........no coincidence at all.

In part I agree with JW. I know I will get ripped for this but how can it not cross your mind when Brick is asked to take a pay cut and then decides to retire. I know they say he was contemplating it earlier, but he knew he was going to be approached about reducing his salary. In his mind he could of very well thought that he hasn't missed a game has been an outstanding teammate and player and if asked to take a cut he just retires. 

I don't place blame on the FO but the timing is a bit odd. I know Mehta came out and said it was because of being asked to take a pay cut is the reason he retired. It's a typical Mehta  douche move. I know. This move makes me ill as I was hoping he would play for another year and we would draft his possible replacement this year or address the position next year in free agency. 

I will reserve all judgment until after the draft to see what Mac does as I hope he has a plan in place. I would like to think they knew this was coming and are prepared for it but that kind of thinking has only let me down in the past.

Its funny in an earlier thread before the news of Bricks retirement, there was a discussion about him being released and I Made a statement about Mike T signing him.  I wish Brick the best in his future endeavors.  I just hope he does not sign with another team. I have been a Jets fan for 40 years and been through all the ups and downs as many on this board have. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

stop with the Kaepernick crap its not happening and he's not a good QB. The Jets have probably had a deal in place with Fitz for a while now. Whether we had Fitz or Not D Brick was NEVER making 14 million this year so there was no sacrifice he's just a far below average player and has been for years

When you and others STOP with the Fitzpatrick crap likes he's the messiah and the Jets can only sign him theres no other options. He's nothing more than a journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs and he certainly wont win us a Super Bowl. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, that is simply not true for the Jets. You are speaking generically about left tackles, not specifically about Ferguson and the Jets, which is all that matters here.

We don't have a 7-step dropback QB who just stands there in the pocket for 4 seconds like an imbecile, or scrambles around behind the LOS with his eyes downfield for even longer. That isn't the Jets QB (Fitz, if he's brought back) and that isn't the gameplan by the coordinator. So a monster of a pass-blocking LT just isn't as imperative compared to other teams or other years (not that Ferguson at all resembles an impenetrable wall anyway).

And yet one of the reasons quoted time and again to dump Brick is do to his play?  Which is it?  Also Chan gailey will not be oc forever and the lamenting of no deep passing game for the jets is common.  No lt no dep passing game.

Also tom Brady gets rid of the ball faster than just about anyone, he just got killed in the playoff game because his tackles could not block.  If we don't get a LT this year I can guarantee you we will be talking about using out top 10 pick on a LT next year. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It's not that it isn't important at all, but the position is almost as overrated as Ferguson is himself. Almost. 

Both times Denver made the SB in the last 3 years - including the 2013 season when they had their record-setting offense (the passing game in particular) on some 700 Peyton Manning dropbacks - is when Ryan Clady missed the season. They went with their backup LT the whole way and never panicked into trading for some "proven" quantity to purportedly save their seasons. Twice.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And yet one of the reasons quoted time and again to dump Brick is do to his play?  Which is it?  Also Chan gailey will not be oc forever and the lamenting of no deep passing game for the jets is common.  No lt no dep passing game.

Also tom Brady gets rid of the ball faster than just about anyone, he just got killed in the playoff game because his tackles could not block.  If we don't get a LT this year I can guarantee you we will be talking about using out top 10 pick on a LT next year. 

It's both, if you've been paying attention instead of lashing out at any perceived criticism of Ferguson or his importance.  #1 the position it isn't as important as it gets credit for being on average. It's more important to be good across the line than to be specifically so good just at LT with the rest not so important; and #2, even to the extent it is important (no one says the position has no importance) Brick wasn't doing a good job of it anyway.

And I don't think you watched that Denver/NE game. Their OL weakness was across the entire 5-man line, not just specifically at LT. Solder was out, Vollmer had an ankle sprain, and the way that pressure was coming even a 100% healthy Ferguson would have gotten embarrassed as their starting LT. The name of that game was pressure, not sacks. And Ferguson was the Jets' king of surrendering such pressure (and the runner-up king of such league-wide in 2015)

If Ferguson is so worthwhile, and Fitzpatrick is getting rid of the ball on average as quickly as anyone (2 seconds avg per dropback), explain him surrendering 59 QB pressures (2nd most in the NFL last season). But regardless, by bringing up that NE/Den playoff game, clearly you think it's important to point to one worst-performance game against an elite pass rush. Well then look at the Texans vs Jets game, because if one isolated, bad game is truly indicative of broader things then a totally healthy Ferguson should have retired before he reached the locker room that day with the way Watt toyed with him.

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Best of luck to him in his retirement.  

It's a non-factor, because his play had deteriorated to where he was a likely benching this season anyway, so good that he saved himself that embarrassment.  

BULLsh*t he would have been the starting LT this upcoming season.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

BULLsh*t he would have been the starting LT this upcoming season.

Most likely, yes, but it's also possible he may not have even been on the roster after the draft was over. It was supposedly part of his concern and consideration in retiring. After seeing it happen with Faneca, and knowing how the Jets felt about his play last season, he was supposedly further worried about the Jets - even after getting him to agree to a pay cut - cutting him loose if they felt they drafted a replacement in a couple of weeks, or maybe later on.

I have a hard time believing Maccagnan would do that, because it's Tannenbaum-Clemens level shameful, but apparently Brick wasn't totally convinced it wouldn't happen.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Most likely, yes, but it's also possible he may not have even been on the roster after the draft was over. It was supposedly part of his concern and consideration in retiring. After seeing it happen with Faneca, and knowing how the Jets felt about his play last season, he was supposedly further worried about the Jets - even after getting him to agree to a pay cut - cutting him loose if they felt they drafted a replacement in a couple of weeks, or maybe later on.

I have a hard time believing Maccagnan would do that, because it's Tannenbaum-Clemens level shameful, but apparently Brick wasn't totally convinced it wouldn't happen.

Interesting enough he retired the day after being asked to take a pay cut. Why not Revis,Harris or Mangold.  Macc is in an emergency mode being the Jets have no money to improve the roster. The NFL is a business. 

Archived