D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

BroadwayJets

Jets handled this poorly.. He would've played if the money was right.. We wanted him to take a pretty hefty pay cut. Brick wouldn't have got a ton on the open market at this point and wasn't going to play for another team on the cheap either.. But he would have played if the money was right.. We should have approached him much earlier so we could have signed a replacement.. Now we go into the draft with this as our #1 need.

Except for every report that shows the Jers were well aware he was contemplating retirement and giving him plenty of time to decide. In fact by all accounts it seems they hadn't even discussed a pay cut number yet.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he retire because of fear of injury, I totally understand. It's becoming more of a trend.

Now the situation is interesting for the Jets. They have cap room now, and OT was an emphasis in the draft to begin with. Would not be surprised for them to draft OT in the 1st round

Holy crap! These guys aren't seeing it being worth as much as it used to be-the whole idea of "Let me just stick around another year to try and get that ring" Everyone knows that there are only a few teams in the past 10-15 years who always seem to be up there with a real shot at a Super Bowl appearance, and let's face it guys, we ALL know why it won't be the Jets as long as Brady is around. Besides him being great, there is also the whole "player as a marketable commodity" thing. The other unsaid reason is of course that the games are fixed. It's not quite at the Pro Wrestling level but it's getting there. So why ruin the next 50 years of your life, for what? He has money, he's no gangster . He's making a smart move IMO as is Calvin Johnson-the Lions like the Jets will never see a Super Bowl-look at what Wayne Chrebet's trying so damn hard got him. Good for you Brick, thanks for being a damn good Jet and now go and have some kids and enjoy the rest of your life at a job that won't ruin your brain. 

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Changes a lot.  Might change  the thinking on Mo.

It frees up cap space but also creates a huge hole at one of the priciest positions in the NFL. A pay cut would have been a better option for the Jets. We are not in a better cap situation because of this move unless we draft a rookie LT that happens to be solid or we manage to find a replacement for Dbrick that is as good but at a much cheaper price. Not sure there are too many of those out there. 

your stupid salary demand just cost you your left tackle-think of that every time  you fade back and get dropped

I dont blame dbrick for walking away-he was loyal and honored his agreed terms-jets tried to change them to get money for fitz

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

... Ferguson walking away would not blindside the Jets. The veteran left tackle has kept them in the loop throughout.

That's why they waited so long to deal with Ferguson

He's always struck me as a well put-together, humble, genuinely nice human being. It doesn't surprise me that he'd walk away a little early in order to preserve his health - especially as a guy who has a lot going for him off the field - or that he kept the Jets apprised the whole time. 

I'll miss Brick.

Just now, kmnj said:

your stupid salary demand just cost you your left tackle-think of that every time  you fade back and get dropped

I dont blame dbrick for walking away-he was loyal and honored his agreed terms-jets tried to change them to get money for fitz

You're an idiot. If this was fully about the money, he's would go somewhere else, not retire

Brick was a bright kid coming out of school with a lot of career options available to him after his playing days.  It's better to get out of the league a year early than a year too late.  I admire him for making the decision now, and wish him the best of luck.  We'll be hearing his name in a positive light for non-football reasons, I'm confident of that. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You're an idiot. If this was fully about the money, he's would go somewhere else, not retire

no you are an idiot-if the jets honored the terms he was going to stay

he always said he only wants to play for the jets

Just now, kmnj said:

no you are an idiot-if the jets honored the terms he was going to stay

he always said he only wants to play for the jets

Anyone who knows Brick knows this isn't about sticking it to the Jets. This man will be successful at anything. Just time folks....

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Anyone who knows Brick knows this isn't about sticking it to the Jets. This man will be successful at anything. Just time folks....

and he said he was planning on playing-what changed they wanted him to take a massive pay cut

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

if the jets honored the contract terms he would have stayed-they tried to change them and he walked away-good for him

Of course he would stay another year.  The jets either were going to cut him or make him take a huge paycut.

great all time Jet.  thanks D'brick

this sucks because we need to upgrade RT too.  Ryan Clady is an option but I believe he makes 10mil so that does not help.  need to draft multiple tackles in the draft

4 minutes ago, rillo said:

Those always work out.

No other option there outside of a scrapheap type.  Luckily we'll be able to bring back Fitz in all likelihood, who gets the ball out quick.  We need to give Petty/rookie QB time to develop before being sent out there with a scrapheap/rookie LT.

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Too many fans are too stupid.  Brick has ALWAYS been above board I'm sure he told management that

he was considering retirement.  Damien Woody is spot on

actually he was planing on honoring his contract-he said it himself did he not?

Too many fans are stupid or incredibly naïve.  Stop trying to spin this that the Jets "blew this situation".  If you

read Brick's article after the movie "Concussion" came out you knew he was considering retirement.  He gave

10 years (never missing a play) to the NFL and now wants to move on.  Stop crying!!!  We'll find a LT in the

draft

Archived